Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Thread to Discuss the 12.16.19 balance patch

OP professorxsmurf

Starting a thread to discuss the new balance patch since comments are locked under the patch notes.
First off huge thanks to the mighty Postums and any other team members who worked to get the patch out despite the heavy workload on 343 at the moment. I know this is a niche game but it has strong and devoted player base. You guys are great!

I for one love any buffs made to Cutter's late game as he really falls over by the time a few "bonus" leader points come into play. I especially love the buff made to his hero and hopefully his laser will be able to take out a few grunt squads now in under an hour. I always felt like Cutters play style should have relied heavily on his hero and his version of Jerome was probably the worst hero in the game, outside of maybe Voridus.

I also love the buffs to tanks to which make mass air less off an obvious go-to in late game scenarios.

The Anders R&D nerf is well needed as that has always been an absolutely overpowered passive ability.

Really my only concern right off the bat is that the nerf to Decimus Boundless Siphon wont be enough to knock that leader down from his god tier status. I am not saying Decimus is invincible, but if your playing against someone using him at your equal or slightly higher skill level and you're not also using him or Anders you pretty much automatically lost during the last season.

As a final comment, I do like the buffs to vultures but not so sure a buff should have went to the phoenix missile instead of to its base health. If you dont see anything from an opponent in ones or in team battles for a little while, you better be looking out for a horde of vultures ready to nuke your base to smithereens!
r&d is multiplicative, so the nerf is 27.75% instead of 30% @devs
vultures will still probably be bad unless massed
why did serina get nerfed more than deci
why didnt yap LP progression from turrets get removed
Playing TFF is becoming harder with every patch,

A sad reality to us TFF Players.
Decimus will find new ways to heal, mark my words.
Forge's scatterbomb is -Yoinking!- instant, a guaranteed hit. Why they did this without asking anyone, I will never know.

Serina nerf is completely unjustified.

Vulture buff might've been too much (specifically phoenix missile buff), we'll see if they dominate late game or not.

Voridus buffs are meaningless, Grens need buffs against heroes, not infantry. They're already good vs infantry. I remember hearing that hero shields (which are the majority of their health) have the armor type of a building. If that's changed, Grens should be able to kill them more easily.

Anders nerfs aren't enough, she still has broken network, hero, and retriever.

Turret/shield nerfs not enough.

They did not include anything pertaining to Colony. He's not super OP or anything, but his kit is far too effective at turtling and should be looked into.

The patch is moving in the right direction, but I can't say enough how broken the scatterbomb buff is. You can't even tele out of it, you just have to hope you luckily move in a different direction at the same time they cast it. The Serina nerf is also very frustrating since she's hardly ever seen in competitive play, and is only complained about by casuals. RTS is balanced at a high level, and Postums himself has confirmed that that is true for Halo Wars 2 as well. This flies in the face of that.
Deci needs more nerfs to boundless siphon/fury, Anders still needs nerfs to hero and sentinel powers.

Otherwise a good patch, long awaited after 8 months, better than nothing!
Completely agree with cars scatterbomb is completely broken, it's basically a guaranteed army wipe at this point.
Serina didn't need changes, IMHO, but I never played Serina. Anders and Decimus nerfs are good. I'm quite happy with Voridus buffs, but that could be bias since I'm a Voridus main. I can attest that Brute Grens were underpowered as a direct combat unit, especially when compared to a peer such as Elite Enforcers. Very happy to see buffs for them. Postums comment about Gren Drop being used for quick infusion is absolutely spot on.

All in all very happy to see this! It's not perfect, but I think it's more a hit than a miss. They're continuing to support HW2, despite other focuses. I honestly didn't expect to see anymore balance fixes, not after the last post in response to the petition.
First, when MCC is released, return to HW2 work.
Thanks to Matt for keeping that promise.
HW2 is a title that is too big to be handled by that small group,
Good luck. I want to give Matt a pizza.
In a beginner to intermediate environment, air units are too powerful.
High mobility, high attack power, and low production costs.
I think it is reasonable to raise the production cost by about 50-100 each.
Against anti-aircraft units
The reduction in attack power is also good.
Thank you 343 and to Matt. This was a real suprise and a good one. I do like a lot of the changes, Serina could use a little love (I think her 12 O clock power should shatter at one point in the powers usage) but really wanted to say thank you!!! It's awesome that you are supporting this great community.
Anders definitely needs a little more bit of nerfing, but atleast they're still updating this game and keeping it alive even after the MCC came out for PC.
Forge still way over powered, I played about 6 games last night, 3 out 4 in solo ranked against a Forge. 2 games of team war, there was always a forge in the game. Don’t get me wrong, I use him as well but if everyone starts using him all the time then what’s the point for the rest of the characters, If I have better chances of a solo win then of course I’ll keep using it, yet it’s so fun when you play against him 3/4 games
BoneShaman wrote:
Completely agree with cars scatterbomb is completely broken, it's basically a guaranteed army wipe at this point.
Just move out of it then you wont get wiped.
BoneShaman wrote:
Yes, walk out of the thing that lags your army and dodge a nearly instant power or better yet, get stunned into by Anvil round if you went vehicles. You're a smart guy
BoneShaman wrote:
The point is that it screws the latency of your game so can't split / tele / or MoVe OUt oF It
I love Atriox. So keep using him.
But there is a lag
I will not be able to take advantage of his invincible force or eradication.
Eradication has a high cost but a slow recharge and low power
Currently, it is the most difficult technique to use.
Forge's scatterbomb is -Yoinking!- instant, a guaranteed hit. Why they did this without asking anyone, I will never know.

Serina nerf is completely unjustified.

Vulture buff might've been too much (specifically phoenix missile buff), we'll see if they dominate late game or not.

Voridus buffs are meaningless, Grens need buffs against heroes, not infantry. They're already good vs infantry. I remember hearing that hero shields (which are the majority of their health) have the armor type of a building. If that's changed, Grens should be able to kill them more easily.

Anders nerfs aren't enough, she still has broken network, hero, and retriever.

Turret/shield nerfs not enough.

They did not include anything pertaining to Colony. He's not super OP or anything, but his kit is far too effective at turtling and should be looked into.

The patch is moving in the right direction, but I can't say enough how broken the scatterbomb buff is. You can't even tele out of it, you just have to hope you luckily move in a different direction at the same time they cast it. The Serina nerf is also very frustrating since she's hardly ever seen in competitive play, and is only complained about by casuals. RTS is balanced at a high level, and Postums himself has confirmed that that is true for Halo Wars 2 as well. This flies in the face of that.
Colony and Anders are still OP?
I’m just getting back into everything, but I don’t feel Grenadiers do enough damage to heroes - primarily their shields.

Trying to kill HC, Chosen, or Spartans is pretty annoying with Vori.
I'm glad to hear that the server lag has been fixed.
This was a permanent issue for HW2. (since HW2 was released.)
Colony and Anders are still OP?
Colony wasn't touched and the Anders nerfs were negligible.