Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Top 5 Mistakes 343 Made with Halo Wars 2

OP nuchey

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What are the top 5 mistakes 343 made with Halo Wars 2? Please don't bash 343, I think they did a good job but made some mistakes along the way that have been detrimental to the game's population.

My list
In my opinion:

1. Technical issues. Constant disconnects, various glitches/bugs with leaders, achievements not unlocking, etc. have killed the game. I think this is the main reason why many players left Halo Wars 2, especially when you get your rank yoinked up because of a server side issue.

2. Poor balance decisions. 300% sure you know what I mean.

3. A lack of communication regarding AtN. It's a great expansion, probably the best I've ever bought, but the poor marketing and misleading season pass description is what caused the massive outrage.

4. Blitz. Great idea, bad execution.

5. The MMR hard reset. It did way more harm than good, especially since all seasons after the hard reset were plagued by game breaking bugs and players who abused them.

P.s: could you make a TL;DR of your video please?
- Not fixing DLC Leaders fast enough

- 50 level cap

- Mixing Party team and Solo players

- No reward system

- Map variety
Not letting players pick team color in Firefight... Especially Terminus Firefight...
5. Some much needed fixes took way too long to fix (300% Forge and Base-Freezing Serina)

4. Blitz is PTW and only has a single map.

3. Lack of Maps in General

2. Nerfing Atriox to oblivion.

1. Poor Balance overall
1. Not play testing balance updates
I love it too but I think things need to be said as well. This is a more of what this game missed out on.

1: The Campaign, I believe, fell off after they hit the climax.
Spoiler:
Show
2: Blitz was undeniably pay to win, and was a scheme for more card-based microtransactions. I can respect them however, for not making the microtransactions the freaking focus of the game! They are in a mode that supposedly nobody plays, and for good reason not to be unfairly matched, every match.
Blitz is a wasted space for a mode is what I'm trying to say.

3: More creatively designed gamemodes.
Terminus Firefight is what I was looking for, but it wasn't part of the game, but rather sold in DLC that,
remember,
wasn't part of the Seasons Pass. So there's a lack of gamemodes, or a lack of an Arcade lets say.

4: Not a lot of customization, which is what this game could've really benefitted from! Skins would've been a great thing to work for, colours, emblems that appear above hero units, customizable mechanics that appear in game (an example of this could be like Spartans with their helmet on fire, like in Reach), Unit Auras, Base designs, anything cosmetic beside Blitz Packs.
If it's for a gamemode that nobody wants, than there might as well a lack of a reward system other than ranking up :(

5: Map Gimmicks! Or Map variety as previously mentioned.
Halo Wars one had maps from all Biome types, and better still, each and every one of them had a gimmick where you could, say, summon sentinels in the middle of the map, A Healing rift to fight over, Garrison Mega Turrets, and Reactors, tons of stuff!
I would've loved that for Halo Wars 2, something to fight over other than killing eachother and getting power nodes that gives a benefit if captured.
Spice up the gameplay a little!
I think one of the biggest things that people were unhappy with was the fact that ATN was not included in the season pass.
I think waiting 2 months for every hero release would've prevented a lot of player base exhaustion. Being able to properly test leaders while not having to worry about hitting deadlines as much would've meant less exploits. A 2 month gap also meant that any balance issues would be resolved before the next leader might imbalance things, making the competitive scene more stable as well.
I really enjoy Halo Wars 2 but I do know it has its flaws, and here’s my top 5 list:
1. Better marketing for the season pass and ATN; thought that ATN would come with the seaon pass but it didn’t
2. New bugs that came with each update
3. Bit more cutscenes; some areas of the campaign felt like they should have had Blur cutscenes and not in-game cutscenes
4. More map variety, a specially with Blitz
5. Leader balancing, making leaders feel a bit more unique in matchmaking
I would say;
- Tech issues (Every update was a full download, my full edition kept saying I needed to buy leaders after every update, at some point I had to factory reset my Xbox because it wouldn't install. The support forums are full of these issues)
- Extreme balance changes (Should have been small data-driven incremental changes)
- Map variety (imo more maps >> new leaders)
- Blitz pay to win

I wasn't too bothered by AtN not included in season pass because to me it was clear from the start. I also think the season pass had plenty of content for the price.
I feel the one thing this game could have greatly benefited from is just more maps and objective variety. In Halo Wars 1 even people who played the game briefly remember the Docks, they remember Exile, they remember Tundra. I can barely remember the names of the maps in this game except that awful Highway map. Also this game has things like Forerunner Healing Spires, Walls, and Power Nodes. What it doesn't have are the more unique and obscure map advantages like Forerunner Supply Elevators, Life Support Pods, Garrisonable walls. The crazy part is these things aren't even in places that give advantage they are usually on the outside of the map. Firefight needs more map variety also and should bring in a round with Unique Units. Imagine facing a Lockdown Scorpion or an Ice Bison? Maybe even an Elemental round?
Dreiga wrote:
In my opinion:

1. Technical issues. Constant disconnects, various glitches/bugs with leaders, achievements not unlocking, etc. have killed the game. I think this is the main reason why many players left Halo Wars 2, especially when you get your rank yoinked up because of a server side issue.

3. A lack of communication regarding AtN. It's a great expansion, probably the best I've ever bought, but the poor marketing and misleading season pass description is what caused the massive outrage.

5. The MMR hard reset. It did way more harm than good, especially since all seasons after the hard reset were plagued by game breaking bugs and players who abused them.

Actually 4 out of the 5 of your reasons are in my video! The 5th one for me is the lack of new maps. The video is a bit long but I actually spend the most time on number 1
nuchey wrote:
Dreiga wrote:
In my opinion:

Actually 4 out of the 5 of your reasons are in my video! The 5th one for me is the lack of new maps. The video is a bit long but I actually spend the most time on number 1
Nuchey, you magnificent Beauty!
I almost forgot to watch your videos today, hahaha!

Keep posting my dude!
nuchey wrote:
Dreiga wrote:
In my opinion:

Keep posting my dude!
Been working on Taming of the Hunters Epiosde 3! It’s gonna be gooood 😎
nuchey wrote:
i think they missed a great opportunity this the hole bring back the flood thing
Not letting players pick team color in Firefight... Especially Terminus Firefight...
I second
My problems.

1. Yap Yap THE DESTROYER's scout unit should be a Grunt driving a ghost, not a chopper with a brute driving it.

2. UNSC leaders need more specialty units in the main base, especially the launch leaders. (& Banished launch leaders too)

3. Terminus Firefight not having dlc units in the Enemy waves.

4. Too much balancing. (Get it right the first time)

5. Atriox's voice being a computer modified voice
nuchey wrote:
nuchey wrote:
Dreiga wrote:
In my opinion:

Keep posting my dude!
Been working on Taming of the Hunters Epiosde 3! It’s gonna be gooood 😎
I didn't realize you made Episode 2.
1. Inconspicuous sounds of MAC blast.
2. Removing Vulture nuclear phoenix missle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my4aIBBEcMI
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2