Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Vultures are OP!

OP L0VE LESSS

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So the new Vulture update is ridiculous they are unbeatable as if you make full anti-air they will still destroy your base before your anti air can kill them do you people even play your game!
Yeah I had a game against someone who only built Vultures and a few nightingales, it wasn't pretty. Seems like the only way to stop them currently is to scout it early and hit them before they're built en mass. A single Phoenix missile will kill 6 hornets at a time if it's fired in the center of the formation with similar results against reavers. You can't escape the missile either as it will make 90 degree turns to track it's target.

I think the Phoenix missile buff should be reverted as they were never really weak to begin with, but I don't have anything against the buff to their basic cannon damage to make them better overall. If the damage buff doesn't get reverted then the cooldown should get a significant increase on the missile so it can't be spammed so much. Alternatively, changing something on the tracking for the missile would be good too. Maybe it only tracks for the first 2-3 seconds then just moves in a straight line so you could at least micro to avoid some of the damage

Also I find it strange that shrouds can't shoot down the Phoenix missile. They can destroy any projectile, even a round from a sniper mid flight and that nearly teleports to the target, but that slow missile can't be shot down? If the shrouds can't destroy the missile then there is basically no counter to it currently for Banished. UNSC will have an even harder time outside of building their own vultures in attempt to counter.

Maybe Nightingales could get a buff to the smoke making it also disable Y abilities while the unit is in the cloud so it could cancel the missile launch? That would make Nightingales wreck Scarabs even harder however.
Hi guys I understand where you're coming from but I have to disagree here, vultures en mass were always pretty powerful but if you leave a player to mass vultures you probably giving them too much room. What this update has done is allow vultures to be part of a unit mix and still be effective which is great to see. As for the Phoenix missile you're given at least 3 seconds with a laser line to the unit before it's fired, if you quickly move that unit out of the formation the Phoenix missile becomes way less powerful.

Probably just not used to versing them because not many people were putting them into unit mixes but it's good to see this become viable again.

Merry Christmas people.
Hi guys I understand where you're coming from but I have to disagree here, vultures en mass were always pretty powerful but if you leave a player to mass vultures you probably giving them too much room. What this update has done is allow vultures to be part of a unit mix and still be effective which is great to see. As for the Phoenix missile you're given at least 3 seconds with a laser line to the unit before it's fired, if you quickly move that unit out of the formation the Phoenix missile becomes way less powerful.

Probably just not used to versing them because not many people were putting them into unit mixes but it's good to see this become viable again.

Merry Christmas people.
I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well.

While it is still a new strategy and adapting to the updates is important I still find it difficult to agree that "Attack them before they get to that point" is a good solution, and certainly not a fun one. By that logic then Rushing is the counter to all strategies outside of the enemy rushing, since you end the game in the first couple of minutes.

As I said before I'm all for the Vulture getting a buff, as they were only ever good to break stalemates by building a full pop worth of them and hitting an enemy base with the Phoenix missiles. I think the buff to the speed and damage is a good idea. However, the Phoenix missile was already strong before the buff so I specifically think that the Phoenix missile should be reverted. It's the only unit ability in the game that carries that much damage potential in such a short amount of time outside of hero unit abilities.

As you said splitting the unit that's targeted off is an option to mitigate damage but as it stands the Phoenix missile is still a death sentence to the chosen unit if it's anything short of a tank or hero. Also I think the targeting laser should be a bit more visible as reavers/wolverines are obviously a popular target for Vultures, but when the AA units are in formation they can be rather close together making it difficult to see which unit is targeted in the short amount of time available. Reavers stand very close together making that even harder, while wolverine pathfinding is questionable sometimes so they get stuck driving in circles trying to get around other units. Next thing you know your AA is debris flying out the battlefield.

There simply seems to be no counter to Vultures once there's more than 6 of them because the Phoenix missiles can just clear out any AA built to respond against them before more than 2 missile salvos from the AA unit gets launched. Every strategy needs to have a counter, AA or core air should be the counter to Vultures but that isn't the case as the Phoenix missile obliterates a significant number in only 3 seconds.

That's why I listed some potential solutions in my previous post though a simple one I managed to forget about is simply reducing the AOE or the damage of the AOE. Currently the AOE seems to do the same damage as the direct missile impact, reducing it so the area around where the Phoenix missile hits does only half the damage would also make it less devastating to entire armies but leave it as a good option to his priority targets.

I know I mentioned in the previous post as well but it really bugs me, why can't shrouds intercept the Phoenix missile? It is utterly baffling that such a high damage projectile cant be negated by the one unit whose job is to shoot down projectiles.
Scarab needs to see eye doctor gale smoke shouldn't blind him
Scarab needs to see eye doctor gale smoke shouldn't blind him
that's literally the only way to stop a scarab from wrecking unsc bases
The vulture op'ness is becoming a huge issue! Full army of hornets now also travel too slowly to catch and kill them before they can ruin a base!
I haven't played too much since they buffed the vultures, however, I always thought the phoenix missile was already extremely powerful. I think the buff to movement speed and base damage was definitely necessary. However, I think that the phoenix missile did not need to be buffed. The movement speed buff was already a big improvement. I'd say revert the phoenix missile buff or maybe even nerf it a little bit (but not much).
The phoenix missiles are i n s a n e, once you’re homed in on, kiss your units goodbye.

Once caught several vultures and opted for banshees, teleported once the missiles fired to render them helpless and the missiles literally did a 180 and hit me as I teleported behind the vultures.
Honestly, i approve of vultures being buffed. They definitely needed the speed for how terribly slow they were. Although the Pheonix missile needs an immediate reduction in damage. The unit damage is an absolute death sentence, which i could live with. But the ability to kill a base with just a few missiles is ridiculous. Thats what needs to happen
Myself and my friend play very defensive, I always play pavium and we would turtle with mega turrets and anti air as we enjoy playing that way. However now turtling just isn't possible as the moment the enemy get frustrated, next thing you know your beautiful turtle base is at the mercy of 10 phoenix missiles. Even when we don't turtle it's getting to the point where we will loose to vulture nuke spams multiple games in a row because so many people now just build them straight off the bat. The fact that shrouds can't even shoot down vulture nukes is ridiculous too. I've seen a lot of people suggesting an AoE reduction, which solves the problem of armies being wiped, but they seem to be forgetting that the main issue is the vultures being sent straight to your base and instantly wiping it, which takes only 3 seconds which is nowhere near enough time for anti air or core air to destroy even one vulture. And you can't turn the offensive onto them because any speed you can wipe their bases, they can wipe you 10x quicker. The vulture itself is fine but the phoenix missile needs a huge nerf, I don't know how the devs could even begin to think it was fair or balanced - _-
Yes Vultures are undeniably really stupid this patch. If UNSC gets to tech 3, which they will if they turtle properly at all, you're going to get phoenix missiles rammed down your throat. Splitting/micro of any sort simply slows down your own dps while they continue to rail on you with their mind-boggling damage buff. It's just the best unit in the game right now. Blisterbacks are a joke compared to these monsters.

They need to be reverted back to the same speed and damage output. They already have their niche as base busters. They don't need to be good for literally everything. Once again, the Banished equivalent is hot garbage by comparison.

The amount of effort you have to put in to fight them off is nothing compared to how easy it is to float the things over and press Y and get free value.

I love this game but it has always felt hampered by balance decisions like this. Like I just got back into it and I'm quickly reminded why this game is suboptimal. Come on guys, have we learned nothing from 300% Anvil Round and launch Jerome? Pfft and those leaders still have extremely high value generation from their cheap cost and extremely high survivability. Go on, try and say that Jerome and Forge can't invalidate your forces in the early-mid game from relative safety.
The last three games I played, all my enemy would make was vultures, nothing else, they ignored my anti air, and focused bases. This is becoming a problem because unfortunately it works well unless you're expecting it
Are we ever going to get a response to the vulture issue? its been a few months
Are we ever going to get a response to the vulture issue? its been a few months
Probably not for another 6-8 months, they clearly don't care about their "latest halo" title.
Vultures are OP something should be able to stop them. It’s not fair to the halo community
The irony is, constantly all I see is whining about the Vulture attacks. You’ve got at least 15 mins until that happens. Motor on your Tier 2 rush and take their bases. Or do the same, Vulture on Vulture is devastating.

Banished can easily keep up with Blisterbacks if you do it right as Base Killers, which also become amazing anti ground and anti air to clean up. Vultures are crap at that. A full force of 50 locusts also does the trick. Splitting up your forces and operating 3 separate attack forces on each base help that.

Ultimately, the aim of the game is to win. If you don’t take actions to do that decisively, and that means going after their bases hard and systematically, including using vultures yourselves, you’ve got absolute zero credibility to complain.

Yes I use vultures. Yes I’m a base killer. I’ve spent years perfecting how. But I’ll do it with Blisterbacks, Vultures, Kodiaks, Hornets, Flame Units, hell ill even do it with a tier 1 wave of teleported suicide grunts before you get turrets up. Yes I also her flamerushed, infantry rushed and 3x leader rushed before I even hit tier 2 with units out.

Adapt and overcome, or just feed all of us who have learned how to decimate those whom fail to roll with the changes.
Alcfalath wrote:
The irony is, constantly all I see is whining about the Vulture attacks. You’ve got at least 15 mins until that happens. Motor on your Tier 2 rush and take their bases. Or do the same, Vulture on Vulture is devastating.

Banished can easily keep up with Blisterbacks if you do it right as Base Killers, which also become amazing anti ground and anti air to clean up. Vultures are crap at that. A full force of 50 locusts also does the trick. Splitting up your forces and operating 3 separate attack forces on each base help that.

Ultimately, the aim of the game is to win. If you don’t take actions to do that decisively, and that means going after their bases hard and systematically, including using vultures yourselves, you’ve got absolute zero credibility to complain.

Yes I use vultures. Yes I’m a base killer. I’ve spent years perfecting how. But I’ll do it with Blisterbacks, Vultures, Kodiaks, Hornets, Flame Units, hell ill even do it with a tier 1 wave of teleported suicide grunts before you get turrets up. Yes I also her flamerushed, infantry rushed and 3x leader rushed before I even hit tier 2 with units out.

Adapt and overcome, or just feed all of us who have learned how to decimate those whom fail to roll with the changes.
Lol 15 minutes???? Forge can get tech 3 at 5 minutes and immediately start double pumping those . In 1v1 im sure its balanced but in 2v2 or 3v3 its a bigger issue because the teammates just has to buy their partner enough time...
L0VE LESSS wrote:
So the new Vulture update is ridiculous they are unbeatable as if you make full anti-air they will still destroy your base before your anti air can kill them do you people even play your game!
yes is the most OP variant better than scorpion!
I've seen one phoenix missile easily take out 3 tech 3 reavers. They are building killers so I am ok with them merking bases (to a degree), but a 900 supplies unit shouldn't be able to take out 650 supply 645 power worth of their counter.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2