Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

What are the little things we miss from HW1

OP Dark Fluoresce2

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Super Turtling, have like 1 scarab and 50 billion engineers, once that scarab reached 3-4 stars its game over. Now the scarab is more balanced which means super turtling isn't even half as good as it was in ye' olden days
Lol, that was always a pain to stop, and the ways to stop it were so strange. You needed a Cutter 4x Mac to red bar the engineers and weaken the scarab, Vampires to lockdown the engineers and kill and stop them from healing, and a full force of jump pack brutes to keep the scarab shooting only half the time with electric shot.
You could hit the cloud of engineers with Ander's fully upgraded cryo bomb, and knock out, say, 30 birds with one stone, then send in the OP wolverines to mop up the rest. That's what I always do.
Supply / Reactor hooks.
No artillery
All I wanted was to just take AI bases again and have other objectives to fight over like the Supply Elevator and Life Support Pod. But I guess this is a different type of RTS style.

I also miss the Cobra and the Vampire such cool looking vehicles. "Cobra, ready to fiyah!", "STOP THEM IN THEIR TRACKS" *explosions*
The variance in play strategy between UNSC and non-human leaders... 3 Spartans =/= a covie leader, but at the same time the UNSC individual units had a notable head to head advantage against their counterparts. Also not having to account for 20+ potential different active leader powers ready to drop on you in a late game 3v3. Had, what, maybe 5 possibilities? At most? Unit focus definitely preferred vs. leader power combo-ing
i dont remember how it was in HW1 but one thing that i find dissapointing is the ultimate units, i think that it would be much more interesting if each leader had their own
1.Not laggy command at 3v3 late game.
2.Vulture's MEGA multi missiles.
I have to admit, those missiles were much more satisfying to use. I liked how the little hatches on top of the vulture would open to reveal the missiles' noses when the ability was ready to be used. I don't think those hatches have any purpose in HW2, I wonder why they left them in...
You know something I miss from Halo Wars 1? The changing music in the middle of a match when engaging a base. There was something satisfying about hearing the music get intense as you pit two armies against each other, vying to take down or defend a base. Then when you took the base down there was that brief victory tune. I dunno if it would be a little wonky to try adding to Halo Wars 2, but it would be cool to have that back.
1.) In game Leaderboards
2.) tanks (actually good)
3.) Wolverine Volley
4.) Stacking Shield Gens
5.) Cryo Bomb
6.) definately the quad Mac blast
"Elite prepared to fight"
The Prophet of Regret
Hawks, Hawks, why anders didn't get hawks I have no idea
UNSC anti-vehicle that wasn't hot trash (even if it was kinda a sniper)
Carnage Report
Spartan Cobras

The most epic quote from the game "Unleasing Hell"
good times
I miss holding the X button down to que my units. I also miss being able to jump from base to base even if your were in the circle menu of a building or base. So annoying to have to hit B to back out of every single menu lol much faster the other way !
I miss Hawks the most! I was praying Serina would get the mbefore she came out. Instead we got the boring Frostravens.

Also I miss your hero coming out of your base upon completion of the temple. That'd make for a swell gamemode...
Hmmmm...
Folks need Heroes!
I miss holding the X button down to que my units. I also miss being able to jump from base to base even if your were in the circle menu of a building or base. So annoying to have to hit B to back out of every single menu lol much faster the other way !
Yeah I miss the hold x as well. I know you can pull right trigger (shift essentially) and it does the same thing when you RT+X but it doesn't work as well I feel like.
The variance in play strategy between UNSC and non-human leaders... 3 Spartans =/= a covie leader, but at the same time the UNSC individual units had a notable head to head advantage against their counterparts. Also not having to account for 20+ potential different active leader powers ready to drop on you in a late game 3v3. Had, what, maybe 5 possibilities? At most? Unit focus definitely preferred vs. leader power combo-ing
oh man that last point.

HW2 sometimes feel like a reaction time fest of dodging leaderpowers.

I want to see a game-mode where leaders only have passive powers+ 1 unit drop + 1 offensive leaderpower. Thats it.

If they had a playlist like that I would redownload the whole game just to play it.
oh man that last point.

I want to see a game-mode where leaders only have passive powers+ 1 unit drop + 1 offensive leaderpower. Thats it.

If they had a playlist like that I would redownload the whole game just to play it.
Same. When I first got into the initial HW2 demo, the amount of drops and other stuff available for Cutter definitely excited me. But now as a vet of over 1,000 matches I can say wholeheartedly that I think they overdid it a bit. Idk that I'd slim it to 1 passive + 1 offensive +1 drop necessarily based on the balancing differences between leaders that are more drop heavy vs morr passive heavy, but I think I'd enjoy the game more if there was say 1 UNIQUE upgradeable passive + 1 UNIQUE offensive + maybe 2/3 others that mark and define the individuals playstyle. And make the player actually work for their upgrades, tbh.
oh man that last point.

Same. When I first got into the initial HW2 demo, the amount of drops and other stuff available for Cutter definitely excited me. But now as a vet of over 1,000 matches I can say wholeheartedly that I think they overdid it a bit. Idk that I'd slim it to 1 passive + 1 offensive +1 drop necessarily based on the balancing differences between leaders that are more drop heavy vs morr passive heavy, but I think I'd enjoy the game more if there was say 1 UNIQUE upgradeable passive + 1 UNIQUE offensive + maybe 2/3 others that mark and define the individuals playstyle. And make the player actually work for their upgrades, tbh.
I actually put up a post on a relevant thread about this kind of stuff.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/38bd6e2ebbb14e5b9b359bb029588800/topics/so-halo-wars3/3a82a9c1-b3c6-4e02-9277-a838862311cb/posts?page=1#post5

I said sort of the same stuff. To tone down the leader power spamming a bit, just give us 1 Passive, 1 Utility, 1 Defensive, and 1 Offensive. Just those 4 are all you need to make a very unique and fun leader without causing too much craziness and imbalance
Being the "team medic," with vampires and huragok. Healing ally units and sweeping back and forth across the map with fleets of vampires to deny the enemy any air attacks or pelican/prophet drop zones.

Edit: Also just the Covenant bases, the sweeping smooth arches and the purple color. So relaxing for some reason.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3