Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

What keeps you coming back?

OP Postums

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey Community!

Just wanted to stop in and ask a quick question of what keeps you coming back and playing the game? If you are playing every day, what is it that keeps you on? If you have taken a break from the game and recently returned - what brought you back?

Anyways, thanks for the responses pre-emptively!

Cheers,
Postums
RTS is a great GENRE. This game fulfills a competitive nature and experience no other game on console can give you. RTS is always a hard game type to sell but hardcore RTS players love the genre and bleed the genre. That’s why so many players are passionate for this game and it being at its best. So we can reasonably play this game for years to come.
Postums wrote:
Hey Community!

Just wanted to stop in and ask a quick question of what keeps you coming back and playing the game? If you are playing every day, what is it that keeps you on? If you have taken a break from the game and recently returned - what brought you back?

Anyways, thanks for the responses pre-emptively!

Cheers,
Postums
I know the game was/ is offered on gamepass. But I’d like for it to be on the free to play Xbox live gold for 1 month to try and get new players interested in the game. Give them the base game with no expansion leaders and if they like the game they will be intrigued to buy more leaders and come invest in our great game.
The fact that we have an RTS game on the XB1 is a huge reason why i'm still here. But honestly I just like to play games of deathmatch, its my cup of tea. I dont get the same satisfaction from a head-shot or completing a quest in other games.

My girlfriend asks me this all the time, "Are you ever going to play a new game" I always tell her "Sure, when we get mouse on XB1 and more variety in RTS."
I'm was a super fan of the first game and this game blew my expectations out of the water. I play every night with my family, two brothers, at least three matches. I took a short break because I had baby number 2 but my brother's kept playing and now I'm back again playing every night. As for why I come back, I'm a big fan of the RTS genre and to have one on Xbox make it much more convenient for me. I don't really have a PC and I've been a console Gamer my whole life. The game play is great. I love the progression, resource management, and unit play. Halo is one of the big reasons I come back to this you cancould probably design the same game without the Halo franchise and I probably wouldn't play it. I've said it in a post before, but I put more than 200 hours into the first one, more than 200 hours into the second one, and I definitely plan on putting at least that much into the third one.
The love of the game. Honestly, it's an amazing game. I can play any leader of the 16 and have fun. Each leader feels unique and enjoyable and it's also awesome that each leader acts as his or her own voice actor in-game. An RTS set in the Halo Universe has always been enjoyable ever since we saw it in the Halo Wars 1 demo and it's amazing to get that big picture, bird's eye view of a Halo battle. I love that getting a new leader point feels like a tide-turning experience.

I really can't say enough good things about this game. Despite the shortcomings it has and the road bumps along the way, I absolutely love this game for everything from the campaign, cutscenes, phoenix logs, etc. etc. It's really difficult to narrow down what keeps me coming back. I guess everything would be the right answer for me.

Like I said, it's not the game is without its flaws. But the good drastically outweighs the bad.
Love RTS games and HW2 is the best on consoles by far. The problem with a lot of RTS games for me is that many, even greats like SC2, feel like work. HW2 doesn't feel like that at all. The diversity among the leaders is great and it is impressive that any of them can be used well.
I'd say it's the varied amount of play. With 16 leaders there are so many combinations, and a game can go so many different ways. Also if you play 1s, 2s, and 3s the variety of gameplay increases exponentially.

Visually the game is impressive as well, I could stare at the art on Blitz cards forever, additionally the actually gameplay looks entertaining.

Lastly the community draws me in, any time I think I'm out I come back.
The multiplayer with friends as I don’t like playing with noobs but people who actually know what they are doing and also terminus fire fight which should get an update
RTS is a great GENRE. This game fulfills a competitive nature and experience no other game on console can give you. RTS is always a hard game type to sell but hardcore RTS players love the genre and bleed the genre. That’s why so many players are passionate for this game and it being at its best. So we can reasonably play this game for years to come.
Perfect. This.

I just dont get why anyone would chose another fps over the only xb1 rts title.

Since there are so few, we want them to be perfect.

/shameless plug

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/38bd6e2ebbb14e5b9b359bb029588800/topics/how-control-groups-should-work-on-a-console/351d33e7-fc4a-458c-ba44-15970e09013b/posts?page=1
I always loved Halo for it's universe. Gameplay is a factor too. In the FPS games I can feel tension by being a lone super soldier against overwhelming odds. However the Halo Wars games offers different perspectives but has the same tension. The act of commanding large armies that control a battlefield essential for survival, combined with an interesting setting, music, interaction with the characters (units) you control, and the fast paced nature of the game make it one of my favorite Halo games.
To be perfectly honest I'm not entirely sure. I loved HW1 and I love this game as well. They play very differently but I think this game really nailed the pacing of the deathmatches. There is something going on from the first second of the game onward and it keeps you invested. All the different leader combinations helps keep the gameplay fresh and the player thinking. There also aren't very many quality xbox one games anymore that I have much interest in so HW2 gets all of my time.

The game is in a pretty decent place right now as far as balancing goes. I don't really find any cheap or gimmicky strategies that work too well which are a big cause of frustration normally. Every unit has its time and place. I think if air damage vs buildings was nerfed a bit the game would feel pretty perfect.
Reflecting much of what has been posted before..

1) Halo Universe
2) RTS
3) Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose - keeps it interesting
4) Whilst there are balancing issues, for me the game seems pretty optimised (meaning I can always get a game, it loads quickly, DC's are rare etc)
5) I want to support the game to encourage Halo Wars 3!
Without a doubt, it's gonna be the people I've met through Halo Wars. Many of which I would call my friends now. Hopping on to play this game, with others who enjoy it as much as I do, is always an awesome time.

There's a lot of toxicity is this community, but there's also a lot of great people here, as well. I have had people help me with differential equations, adivice for how to upgrade my motorcycle, and so many more conversations happen over a few games of Wars.

Other than that, it's an RTS, and a fun one at that. I loved the first game and I love this one just as much. Even with the issues we've had, I've enjoyed playing this game.

Thanks for the all work you guys put in ❤️.
I keep playing because I love RTS and I love halo. Plus it's competitive and the updates through dlc heroes and expansions were great. Took a break to play other games but it's the only game that draws me back.

Played halo wars 1 from launch up until hw2 and plan to do the same on here (hopefully) When hw3 launches.

It'd be great to get more maps or a community map maker which could be put in regular deathmatch modes. Highly unlikely but I'd love for this game to continue.
The Competition and Pure Banter 😂
It's the community.

This is absolutely a fun game, and it looks amazing. But, I might have moved on long ago if not for the players here and in discord-land that reach out to play together.

Also, that Johnson mustache. I just can't keep away.
Funnily enough, it feels like the most Halo-est Halo game in a while, and I just love it.

I suppose I come back personally for a few reasons, like;

the game itself is just pleasing to look at, aesthetically

I love RTS, I loved HW1 and so I love HW2

Its just something different to play other than all of the FPS out there atm.

EDIT: the community, even if it is small, is awesome
I don't know. I've tried to stop before but can't. It's an addiction of sorts.
I took a massive break from the game because of my frustration with poor balance in the past. However I feel like the game has definetly taken massive strides in the right direction. I love how competitive HW2 can be and there's a certain satisfaction that I get when I out play someone, or make that play that puts me ahead. I enjoy the micro intensive early game and the smooth base building. I think balance wise the game is in a great spot now, but there are still a few small issues. The last couple of months have definetly put 343 on my good side.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2