Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

[Locked] What's the diminishing return on supply pad?

OP Vayne Is Fed GG

Anyone know this information?

After the update 2 is this still a thing?
Still seems to be pretty bad and helps the player who is turtling on few bases.
How is this even a thing?! Each supply pad should provide the same amount no matter how many other pads I have.
They tried to fix this in the latest patch a bit but it still seemed quite bad. There needs to be a significant advantage for taking the risk of expanding to a third base
I havent calculated it but I think that it behaves completely different than assumed here: Instead of diminishing returns (wtf this is like economics in basic courses) it has a progressive return to a certain amount, to support players building more bases & pads. This was made to prevent the 5 minute deathmatch games were you were marine rushed with the enemy building only 2 pads..
DudeinCali wrote:
How is this even a thing?! Each supply pad should provide the same amount no matter how many other pads I have.
I guess you didn't play the first game. Yes if your 1st supply pad gives you 200 supplies per minute the 2nd only gives 180 per minute. This continues downwards and is also the same when upgraded. In the first game by time you had 8 or 9 supply pads you were getting next to nothing for each new one per minute and your income would remain the same. I've noticed this in this game but it is much worse. I've had 5 full bases of supply pads in this game and the income isn't any different than 2 bases of supply pads.
The update said it addressed this but I don't think it has addressed it enough yet. I still don't see much of an improvement in supplies even with 3 bases.
DudeinCali wrote:
Honestly right?

If your opponent is being risky and buying 3 bases they should out tech your single base/mini base
DudeinCali wrote:
I guess you didn't play the first game. Yes if your 1st supply pad gives you 200 supplies per minute the 2nd only gives 180 per minute. This continues downwards and is also the same when upgraded. In the first game by time you had 8 or 9 supply pads you were getting next to nothing for each new one per minute and your income would remain the same. I've noticed this in this game but it is much worse. I've had 5 full bases of supply pads in this game and the income isn't any different than 2 bases of supply pads.
The update said it addressed this but I don't think it has addressed it enough yet. I still don't see much of an improvement in supplies even with 3 bases.
Sooo... You're saying me having a full base of supply pads +2 at home base hasn't been helping me or?
DudeinCali wrote:
I actually did a ton, but I don't remember that being a thing in the first one. Also, just because it was done before, doesn't mean it should happen again.
The whole concept makes no sense. If I have total map control and have 6 bases to your 1 or 2 bases i should have a ton more supplies coming in. If I dont, then your turtling just might win instead of me having dominant map control.
interesting topic, didnt even noticed this till now. how many supply pads are good to go, i mean are 4 enough for a late game because more only cost and dont return anything anymore or how many seem useful thill this effect appears
DudeinCali wrote:
DudeinCali wrote:
I actually did a ton, but I don't remember that being a thing in the first one. Also, just because it was done before, doesn't mean it should happen again.
The whole concept makes no sense. If I have total map control and have 6 bases to your 1 or 2 bases i should have a ton more supplies coming in. If I dont, then your turtling just might win instead of me having dominant map control.
I agree. I think we can also agree that supply pads (regardless of diminishing returns) should at least produce 100/minute at least. I mean honestly what would be the point of building supply pads at all when they don't do anything? It's like the Pirates that don't do anything. It's idiotic
If its going to do this, it should atleast tell you. Thats my thing Lol. We all playing Football not knowing that the farther we throw the ball, the ball loses air. At least Tell us so we can play accordingly. lol
Diminishing Returns was in Halo Wars 1, and is in Halo Wars 2 as well. The rate of return was adjusted somewhat with the latest patch.
DudeinCali wrote:
Sooo... You're saying me having a full base of supply pads +2 at home base hasn't been helping me or?
It still helps. It's not like you're not getting an increase in resources, but rather that each consecutive supply pad gives a smaller increase.

You also gain the ability have more building types or doubles to increase production or allow for simultaneous upgrades.
DudeinCali wrote:
It still helps. It's not like you're not getting an increase in resources, but rather that each consecutive supply pad gives a smaller increase.

You also gain the ability have more building types or doubles to increase production or allow for simultaneous upgrades.
Exactly, The answer to this question is that there isn't a limit, there is just a point you reach that it becomes pointless or ineffective.
It is a balancing act of going resource heavy to a point and then just using extra bases for faster upgrades/production. You can't go full resources (Tropic Thunder reference) as the value will just not be there. I had some buddies that tried to do this in Halo Wars where one would go full supply and send resources to us. Not only was it less effective (we mainly did it for rushes), but if they fought off our rush, we became screwed as our ally wasted almost all resources as you lose some when you send to others and diminishing returns issue.
I have noticed in Halo Wars 2 that there is no point to when you stop making extra from supplys, but there is a point that it is no longer cost effective. (i.e. the cost of upgraded supply pad will never be made up in the rest of the game with a +1 per 60 sec resource increase.)
All RTS games are based on balance, not just with unites, but playing style.
Anyone that hates this dosn't truly understand the point of RTS which is to use STRATEGY to beat your apponent. This just adds to the complexity and forces you to adjust.

Original question though. I've noticed that around 7-8 supply pads, it becomes pointless to build more. Do I still build more throughout the game? Yes, if I am playing A.I. as it does produce more and I like to see how much my resource collection beats my Allies' :).
Hope that helps. I believe energy works the same, but with the control points that provide extra energy for team, I think it is thrown off.
I made Updated Economy Mechanics after the last time the resource curve was changed. Its not super indepth, it only covers updated pads. If you join one of the discords, there are better charts.