Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Whatever happened to friendly fire?

OP The Little L

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Whatever happened to friendly fire when leader powers were used? I kind of miss that feature because it added an interesting and sometimes costly mistake. On some occasions it was hilarious. But I think it also added more caution than anything else. Now you can stand in it without fear of killing your friends or yourself.
I wouldn't say much caution was involved when using glassing beam/vortex in Halo Wars. Smart players simply moved the ability to the center of the enemy base to avoid friendly fire. Though more then once I had team mates who would glass/vortex my bases or units for sheer fun. I am glad the sequel did away with that ability.
I would actually prefer it to return, as default on in ranked games , off in MM unranked (ie team war like current state), and optional in customs (allowing for on in competitive or tournament games and off for those practicing or learning).
Adds that extra level of required finesse or sacrifice, imo.
I've been thinking about this exact thing, I feel like this would be a good addition because it would add a level of depth and strategy to the game that i feel like it needs. In its current state you have nothing to lose or nothing even really to think about when placing down a power other than where to put it down and the event that you might miss. Say if your army is facing off against another army and they start glassing you, you might have to just cut your loses and push straight into their army so the other person has to stop glassing in fear of hitting their own army or making a 600 iq play as shipmaster by displacing an atriox player's army into their own eradication, stuff like that, cool new ways to approach a conflict and use some powers to make other players powers be used against themselves.
I've been thinking about this exact thing, I feel like this would be a good addition because it would add a level of depth and strategy to the game that i feel like it needs. In its current state you have nothing to lose or nothing even really to think about when placing down a power other than where to put it down and the event that you might miss. Say if your army is facing off against another army and they start glassing you, you might have to just cut your loses and push straight into their army so the other person has to stop glassing in fear of hitting their own army or making a 600 iq play as shipmaster by displacing an atriox player's army into their own eradication, stuff like that, cool new ways to approach a conflict and use some powers to make other players powers be used against themselves.
It sure would add another layer to the game. Trying not to mess with your allies. However Serina’s ice and Vordious’ goo would be the worst for allies
It sure would add another layer to the game. Trying not to mess with your allies. However Serina’s ice and Vordious’ goo would be the worst for allies
Maybe if Serina's slow freezing it wouldn't effect allies, but if it was an instant freeze like her cryo bomb it would freeze allies and i could see voridus's goo being an exception to the friendly fire rule because that would be terrible.
Fair point, did not consider that really in my post. I take back what I said earlier, but what of those who would just use the friendly fire leader powers to just punish their own team mates?
In public games FF is just a bad idea, greifers just do it to annoy others or "get back" at teammates who arnt doing what they want.

Ff can only be done in games that have high player count and active mods or vote kick options, like Battlefield games.

$0.02
I support this, it was fun messing around with powers in 1, but I didn't really feel it that much, cuz I played Arby, back then. It's return would be nice, as every leader has an offensive power, and it could be an indirect Nerf to GB, as you can no longer throw it out with no worries, satisfying those wanting it to be nerfed to some degree. (Also, I play Ship, and the possibility of using my opponents powers against them excites me.) But I would add being able to use your buff powers on teammates as well, to further enforce teamwork. Imagine chilling at your base, unknowing of anything around you, and you get enemy Vultures teleported to your base to punish you for ignorance.
If every player understood the concept it would be fine to bring it back, but as I often am paired up with lower rank newbies in Team Matchmaking, I like that it is NO LONGER around. Just saying.
iMEC7 wrote:
If every player understood the concept it would be fine to bring it back, but as I often am paired up with lower rank newbies in Team Matchmaking, I like that it is NO LONGER around. Just saying.
They could simply read the patch notes, that'll tell them. As for what they'll do with it, that depends on them
Related to friendly fire; shouldn't frozen Hornets or other frozen fliers...crash? I seem to remember this from Halo Wars 1.
Related to friendly fire; shouldn't frozen Hornets or other frozen fliers...crash? I seem to remember this from Halo Wars 1.
Too cheap for an Air Instakill.
I actually like this idea because 3s is a huge leader power fest. People must be careful not to drop on their allies while rainning endless LPs. 1s is not bad but 3s is where LPs get crazy. I never see this change happening though as it will change the core mechanics of the game. I dont like this idea on the otherhand such as 1v1 games as it will drastically change the meta. Yap has one of the poorest early games but a good mine with grunt and chopper rams will help turn the tide of the game. Understand where im going with this?
Well exceptions should be made for certain leader powers no doubt but it feels cheap at times to spam powers and be unaffected by things that should hurt you as well. I know that implementing it now wouldn't work out so well with certain leaders they have added but it is something to consider. Leader powers offer game changing moments in this game and it is safe to say that most of the time after someone loses their first base its all over (not all the time). I just wish it involved more risk besides the only risk of missing the target. And another thing I kinda wish there were more bases available to build on perhaps not on every map but on some (i know they offer like 1 extra for one player at times but HW1 2v2 could have 4 in mid and 1 next to them as an example) and more unique maps.
Too cheap for an Air Instakill.
Fair enough...and I think your point is very valid. I thought it might address the "Air is OP" narrative though. Bunch and die.
Well exceptions should be made for certain leader powers no doubt but it feels cheap at times to spam powers and be unaffected by things that should hurt you as well. I know that implementing it now wouldn't work out so well with certain leaders they have added but it is something to consider. Leader powers offer game changing moments in this game and it is safe to say that most of the time after someone loses their first base its all over (not all the time). I just wish it involved more risk besides the only risk of missing the target. And another thing I kinda wish there were more bases available to build on perhaps not on every map but on some (i know they offer like 1 extra for one player at times but HW1 2v2 could have 4 in mid and 1 next to them as an example) and more unique maps.
I wiah i could build anywhere. Imagin winning a game and surrounding their base with buildings to prevent them from leaving and turrets at every exit! I feel leader power are in general too good with some heroea performing too good as well.
I wiah i could build anywhere. Imagin winning a game and surrounding their base with buildings to prevent them from leaving and turrets at every exit! I feel leader power are in general too good with some heroea performing too good as well.
Building anywhere and setting up turrets may seem great and quite fun but a link put up in another thread went to a page where they discussed why building everywhere was an issue and i completely agree with it. Basically it came down to overall gameplay/functionality, player response, design problems, etc. They did at least try it in the first HW but because of what was mentioned above they didn't go through with it after much trial and error. Note I summarized the long list they gave if interested in link try looking under HW2 threads sorry for not remembering link.

I played a lot of c&c from generals to kanes wrath, red alert etc. and it was rather fun building anyway you wanted and having an impregnable base fitted with WMDS and or a massive army. But for halo wars 1 getting passed the broken leader rushes and other imbalances of the game it was still fun with the maps and some great battles and music whether in sync or out. Back to base building i feel it is ok but wish maps had more variety and better risk vs reward situations. Like the strategy of grabbing mini bases for an edge but there is not a lot of risk for the buyer or being able to grab an actual base only being constrained economically or mild vulnerability to an attack. Also more bases and environmental elements hazardous or beneficial ones. But if it was free building it would be interesting to see an army of air just obliterate every single structure in about 3 secs of firing at it due to hitpoints of buildings.
I think trollers would take advantage if this if they arent happy with there teammates and just wreckem.
It5276 wrote:
I think trollers would take advantage if this if they arent happy with there teammates and just wreckem.
In HW1 this from my experience rarely happened and even if it did there are other ways of trolling your team in HW1 or HW2 with or without friendly fire. I don't want to mention specifically to give out ideas though.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2