Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Where's Shipmaster At In The Meta?

OP XavieroftheWind

Hey all, I've been toying around with Shipmaster lately and I just wanted to hear your thoughts on how he's doing right now considering the state of things.. (As in Deci Grunts/Jerome crushing everything).

I know he's got access to glassing 3, which I do loathe using.. but besides that where do you feel he is in terms of viability with his power tree and hero unit. Also, how does he fair in a few common matchups? He doesn't feel too strong to me but I could be doing it wrong of course.
Hey all, I've been toying around with Shipmaster lately and I just wanted to hear your thoughts on how he's doing right now considering the state of things.. (As in Deci Grunts/Jerome crushing everything).

I know he's got access to glassing 3, which I do loathe using.. but besides that where do you feel he is in terms of viability with his power tree and hero unit. Also, how does he fair in a few common matchups? He doesn't feel too strong to me but I could be doing it wrong of course.
I'd say Shippy is a mid-high tier leader right now.

His early game hero is great vs banished while his ghosts can deal with unsc long enough for you to tech up. the units you need dead are the ones that are neigh impossible to kill due to extraction and teleport both letting him run away in a moments notice.

I don't even bother with GB3 and only go GB2 as a 6/7th point. A better Leader point order to go with imo is: Raid1, Extract, GB1/teleport, spirit support, displace, mass cloaking/gb2/raid2.

As far as his hero goes, if you're careful about using him he can deal a lot of damage to early infantry/vehicles, then cloak to get some more damage in before running away at mach 2. (plus he can extract if he gets cornered)

What have you been doing for your opening with Shippy? His tech 1 game is pretty mediocre and I think a much better plan is to just spam grunts for early map control while hurrying for tech 2.

His early game hero is great vs banished while his ghosts can deal with unsc long enough for you to tech up. the units you need dead are the ones that are neigh impossible to kill due to extraction and teleport both letting him run away in a moments notice.

I don't even bother with GB3 and only go GB2 as a 6/7th point. A better Leader point order to go with imo is: Raid1, Extract, GB1/teleport, spirit support, displace, mass cloaking/gb2/raid2.

As far as his hero goes, if you're careful about using him he can deal a lot of damage to early infantry/vehicles, then cloak to get some more damage in before running away at mach 2. (plus he can extract if he gets cornered)

What have you been doing for your opening with Shippy? His tech 1 game is pretty mediocre and I think a much better plan is to just spam grunts for early map control while hurrying for tech 2.
I'm curious why mass cloaking? I find it almost completely useless by the time you can get it due to so many units in the field at that point having detect.

Well I've been doing just that. Grunt opener against banished to use their speed an harassing with the Guard.

I think it might have to do with the many Deci players I run into. He completely stuffs hero opener with pull, stun, then vortex..
Zildjians wrote:
I'm curious why mass cloaking? I find it almost completely useless by the time you can get it due to so many units in the field at that point having detect.
The speed boost and syphon are both really good for turning the tide of battle, plus you just have to focus down the 1-2 healers and occasional AA vehicle before you can cloak and wreak havoc on whatever's left of their army.

Well I've been doing just that. Grunt opener against banished to use their speed an harassing with the Guard.

I think it might have to do with the many Deci players I run into. He completely stuffs hero opener with pull, stun, then vortex..
Yeah, Deci is a pain to play against, best I can suggest is just being careful with where your HG goes. That and quick tech into a crap ton of rangers and some locusts. (and some reavers if he goes air, hunters if he goes vehicles etc.)

Don't forget to make suis if you need to stop a rush!
Zildjians wrote:
The speed boost and syphon are both really good for turning the tide of battle, plus you just have to focus down the 1-2 healers and occasional AA vehicle before you can cloak and wreak havoc on whatever's left of their army.

Yeah, Deci is a pain to play against, best I can suggest is just being careful with where your HG goes. That and quick tech into a crap ton of rangers and some locusts. (and some reavers if he goes air, hunters if he goes vehicles etc.)

Don't forget to make suis if you need to stop a rush!
Yeah I guess that's what it'll take. Gotta turtle vs Decimus until tech two as banished to kill his leader.

It just sucks because squishier hero units are completely fodderized the moment they're within range of the pull. Tier 1 belongs to him in the majority of matchups it seems.
There's nothing wrong with turtles, Shippy is one of the better ones at it too. Just don't try and turtle past tech 1, it'll get boring really quick.
He's literally one of the best leaders in the game. Ghosts and suis make one of the best early games against UNSC, teleport and extract negate nukes and make your army immortal, you can stack a veteran army that counters everything with spirit support, and glassing 3 (especially when coupled with displacement) is literally broken to the point of being banned in tournaments.
He's literally one of the best leaders in the game. Ghosts and suis make one of the best early games against UNSC, teleport and extract negate nukes and make your army immortal, you can stack a veteran army that counters everything with spirit support, and glassing 3 (especially when coupled with displacement) is literally broken to the point of being banned in tournaments.
I'd say he's probably about 4th on the leader tier list for 1v1. He's below Anders, Decimus, and Forge. (Probably Jerome too because he's kind of busted right now)

The thing with Shippy is that he is VERY micro intensive. People say he's top tier because he is, but he is also one of the hardest to use leaders in the game and takes a ton of practice to get properly good with.

EDIT: Specified which tier I'm referring to
I'd say he's probably about 4th on the leader tier list; below Anders, Decimus, and Forge. (Probably Jerome too because he's kind of busted right now)

The thing with Shippy is that he is VERY micro intensive. People say he's top tier because he is, but he is also one of the hardest to use leaders in the game and takes a ton of practice to get properly good with.
Micro is really easy in a game like this compared to other RTS games so a leader being micro intensive isn't that big of a deal. Imo decimus isn't top 5 at all aside from shenanigans and team games, at the very least atriox and pavium are better than him.
Then I guess I'm really talking about the Decimus matchup for Shipmaster. The Warlord really smashes the Guard and his opening potential with the y ability
Then I guess I'm really talking about the Decimus matchup for Shipmaster. The Warlord really smashes the Guard and his opening potential with the y ability
You really shouldn't be losing your honor guard to warlord when you have cloak, extraction, and teleport.
You really shouldn't be losing your honor guard to warlord when you have cloak, extraction, and teleport.
Uhh.. Hammer Pull>Hammer Pound>Vortex. You can be vortexed while cloaked too ya know. Early game belongs to deci in the matchup. Teleport won't kill his units lol.
Uhh.. Hammer Pull>Hammer Pound>Vortex. You can be vortexed while cloaked too ya know. Early game belongs to deci in the matchup. Teleport won't kill his units lol.
Teleport and extraction aren't for killing his units but for saving your HG from getting stunlocked. T1 warlord isn't that broken because he doesn't have hammer stun, you can beat him with some micro.
Shippy beats everyone in the game except for Forge.
Shipmaster teleported his way to the tier 2 leaders and then activated mass cloaking as he sneaked his way down to tier 3.