Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Who wants a holiday Xbox Arena tournament?

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
hey folks - so I attempted to kickoff a small Xbox Arena test tournament a few weeks ago to get familiar with the system. Unfortunately I did it right before I left for vacation and when I returned could find no way to review the results or see any info about the tournament or how/if it played it out. Bummer> So first, if you were one of the 16 players who did participate, I'd love to get your feedback! Let me know.

Now on to the main topic - who would be interested in a holiday Xbox Arena tournament for Halo Wars 2? What would be the ideal timing in your mind? How big should we try to go with player count? Should we stick to 1v1 to make it easier/more accessible or should we go with teams?

The goal would be to do something bigger than we did last time, with more advance notice, more promotion and some kind of modest prize(s).

Would love to hear from our core players. What say you?
I'd love another tournament and, personally, would like it to be team oriented. 2v2 would be my vote.
I would lean towards a team game over 1v1, I think 3s is my favorite playlist so I will vote for 3v3.
I’d much prefer 1 vs 1.

Ideal timing would be over Xmas break.
3s. More people get to play in 3s. (Did Omega succed in getting this pinned?)
Sure! I’m in👍🏻
I love the ideas of tournaments, but their needs to be some rules on exploits that haven't been fixed yet. Maybe even take voridus out to keep things diverse and interesting.
1v1s please.
Added on suggestion:
If they are going to advertise it like a big event the games need to take place in custom matches with spectators. after experiencing the arena system for the first time I think all its good for is signing people up. Hopefully if they do that then they wont let the arena system set up the bracket because I think its random. so if its a bad bracket where all the good players eliminate each other in the beginning the finals wont even be entertaining to watch.
I love the ideas of tournaments, but their needs to be some rules on exploits that haven't been fixed yet. Maybe even take voridus out to keep things diverse and interesting.
Exactly this. My biggest issue with the previous tournament was the lack moderation towards unfair leaders. Currently, in the community sponsored tournaments there is a rule preventing broken leaders from being used, namely Voridus, Pavium, and Colony. Doing so allows for greater diversity in gameplay from contestants. I would like something along these lines to be implemented.

As far as gametype, I think 3v3 is the most commonly preferred mode. Plus it allows for some truly unique gameplay, with the wife variety of leader combinations available. With enough time I'm sure 16 competitive teams can be prepared.
As one who participated I must say that they tournament was pretty fun, but not without issues.
  1. OP leaders were used. Nothing is wrong with using one stronger leader than another, but with Pavium and Voridus being ridiculously overpowered it made it a poor match if you were against one of those leaders. My suggestion would be to have the community take votes on which leaders (if any) should be banned until they are more balanced. The community tends to have a better feel for these things.
  2. It was full of smurf accounts. Because of this people could rig matches by having multiple chances to advance and win. We need to make sure that there is only one account per person.
Now, just as a suggestion having it be a best of three would be fun.

Additionally, I would vote for a 3v3 tournament, that way even more people could participate than a 1s tournament.

Edit: Also, I think having it close to Christmas would be good, that way most people would be free. Or even perhaps before New Years Eve.
3s. More people get to play in 3s. (Did Omega succed in getting this pinned?)
Were working on it. Carnage has passed our request up the ladder.

My vote is on 3v3s with moderated leaders
1 tournamant 1v1
1 tournament 2v2
Id love a 3v3 but unfortunatwly it may be difficult for people to find 2 teammates to work together with.

Will this tournament have a prize?
Could it pl ease be a 1v1 tournament? This is an RTS after all. And if there are prizes I would think 1s are the best way to go about it. Also if arena doesn't allow for spectators could we just have a standard custom games official tourny? I think it would work out much better since we would be able to change how many games each round is :) but if you could implement spectator and individual match lengths to Arena I'm down
3vs3 pls
Yeah, 1s
1v1 please, but fix colonay.
Definately 1s, its the most competitve game mode
1v1 please, this should be a battle between heavyweights... 1v1 is mooooore exciting. Come on... Even for timing is better... Everyone can participate no need for teaming up.
As one who participated I must say that they tournament was pretty fun, but not without issues.
  1. OP leaders were used. Nothing is wrong with using one stronger leader than another, but with Pavium and Voridus being ridiculously overpowered it made it a poor match if you were against one of those leaders. My suggestion would be to have the community take votes on which leaders (if any) should be banned until they are more balanced. The community tends to have a better feel for these things.
  2. It was full of smurf accounts. Because of this people could rig matches by having multiple chances to advance and win. We need to make sure that there is only one account per person.
Now, just as a suggestion having it be a best of three would be fun.

Additionally, I would vote for a 3v3 tournament, that way even more people could participate than a 1s tournament.

Edit: Also, I think having it close to Christmas would be good, that way most people would be free. Or even perhaps before New Years Eve.
thanks for the feedback!
Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do with the Xbox Arena system to prevent certain leaders or enforce 'no smurfs.'
At this point I'm pretty sure the Colony issue will be addressed and some minor additional balance adjustments will be implemented before we kick off a tournament. But, I hear you (and many others) - I think the tournament timing is TBD pending those fixes - I don't think we should have a larger tournament w/ actual prizes until we've addressed those problems.
My only concern with a 3v3 is I assume the system requires each team to form on their own and register together - which I think could be tough for a lot of folks. That said, I'm honestly not totally sure how a team tournament works w/ Arena so it's definitely worth checking into. Also I know the game is much, much more stable than it was months ago but the more players in a match, the greater the risk of disconnects or desyncs (which we'd have no way to account for w/ an Arena tournament).
ske7ch wrote:
thanks for the feedback!
Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do with the Xbox Arena system to prevent certain leaders or enforce 'no smurfs.'
At this point I'm pretty sure the Colony issue will be addressed and some minor additional balance adjustments will be implemented before we kick off a tournament. But, I hear you (and many others) - I think the tournament timing is TBD pending those fixes - I don't think we should have a larger tournament w/ actual prizes until we've addressed those problems.
My only concern with a 3v3 is I assume the system requires each team to form on their own and register together - which I think could be tough for a lot of folks. That said, I'm honestly not totally sure how a team tournament works w/ Arena so it's definitely worth checking into. Also I know the game is much, much more stable than it was months ago but the more players in a match, the greater the risk of disconnects or desyncs (which we'd have no way to account for w/ an Arena tournament).
I understand that moderating in Arena is hard, maybe we'll just have to run with the honor code lol.

As for 3v3s I know that the community itself has run a couple 3v3 tournaments on Arena and they've gone pretty well. Few dysncs and as long as the teams are organized everyone shows up on time and it works smoothly. You have a point with disconnects though, we'd probably have to watch to see how stable the community run 3v3s tournaments continue to be.

Additionally I'd like to question how competitive we want this tournament to be. If we're offering prizes to the winners and it's a 1s tournament I can like of 5-10 people that would probably win every game until they matched up against each other, and I don't think that would be as fun for the casual crowd. If we want it to be a more casual tournament with prizes for entering or just randomly generated prizes then we could have a 1s tournament where less skilled (or just more casual players) feel like they could have fun and still have a chance at getting free stuff.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4