Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Why air is op

OP EVILWOMBAT25

The mobility

Seriously. If a mass of air attacks your base they will keep flying over it to the other side while they melt it. 4 turrets are never gonna stop a full pop hornet and nightingale snipe and they'll just avoid leader powers because they're too fast. And thanks to Air mobility my ground units have NEVER been able to keep up.

Not only that but they can fly unhindered and fast over a myriad of geometry that would halt any ground units. Even speedy warthogs and Wolverines gotta drive up and around stuff to get where they want. So air spammers will just go around the map sniping all my bases while i chase them in circles like we're playing scooby doo or some nonsense. Of course they'll eventually obliterate all my bases until im left with one in which case I've already lost. A couple hornet scouts and leader powers and my army is in shambles fresh for the picking.

It is so frustrating. Funny this hasn't been fixed yet as well amd every team game ends with everyone spamming Hornets and banshees. What variety.
The mobility

Seriously. If a mass of air attacks your base they will keep flying over it to the other side while they melt it. 4 turrets are never gonna stop a full pop hornet and nightingale snipe and they'll just avoid leader powers because they're too fast. And thanks to Air mobility my ground units have NEVER been able to keep up.

Not only that but they can fly unhindered and fast over a myriad of geometry that would halt any ground units. Even speedy warthogs and Wolverines gotta drive up and around stuff to get where they want. So air spammers will just go around the map sniping all my bases while i chase them in circles like we're playing scooby doo or some nonsense. Of course they'll eventually obliterate all my bases until im left with one in which case I've already lost. A couple hornet scouts and leader powers and my army is in shambles fresh for the picking.

It is so frustrating. Funny this hasn't been fixed yet as well amd every team game ends with everyone spamming Hornets and banshees. What variety.
Yeah, I know the feel, the only decent counter is reavers, wolverines just don't have the DPS that reavers do, but a max pop army of air versus a max pop army of anti-air, the air is most likely to win, I don't get why they don't just add something as simple as anti-air air, make it super effective against air and very weak against anything else, bam, problem solved, but no, they just leave it
The mobility

Yeah, I know the feel, the only decent counter is reavers, wolverines just don't have the DPS that reavers do, but a max pop army of air versus a max pop army of anti-air, the air is most likely to win, I don't get why they don't just add something as simple as anti-air air, make it super effective against air and very weak against anything else, bam, problem solved, but no, they just leave it
Reavers and Wolverines are anti-air, they're just utter -Yoink-
Air has always been OP and low intelligence since they have no real counter
It hasn't been fixed because it doesn't need fixing.

If you let your enemy mass air then that's their reward. 2 reavers or 2 wolverines will deter anyone from building air early T2.

If you let your enemy mass air then that's their reward. 2 reavers or 2 wolverines will deter anyone from building air early T2.
In 1v1s I agree but I usually play in teams in which case it's significantly more difficult to win before they get to that point since they've got teammates to protect them. 3v3s in particular tend to last like 40 minutes lol.

I think making an anti air air unit would solve this issue tbh. Since that gets rid of the mobility problem wolves and reavers have and not being able to keep up with them while they snipe bases back and forth.

Or just decrease air units speed

In 1v1s I agree but I usually play in teams in which case it's significantly more difficult to win before they get to that point since they've got teammates to protect them. 3v3s in particular tend to last like 40 minutes lol.

I think making an anti air air unit would solve this issue tbh. Since that gets rid of the mobility problem wolves and reavers have and not being able to keep up with them while they snipe bases back and forth.

I play 2v2 as well and very rarely we encounter air. Air is not OP.

UNSC antiair turrets and a few wolves will be enough to defend your base.

If you're Banished then a cloak detector will destroy mass air, because they will need a detector, thus reducing their movespeed. And a few wolves will be able to kill the detectors super fast.

Also a lot of people overlook the fortifications upgrade. Try to spend power on it, it'll pay off.

But yeah, if you're not being active enough to prevent the game from getting to that point then yes, you deserve what's coming, not trying to sound like a jerk, but that's just how it is.

If you're Banished then a cloak detector will destroy mass air, because they will need a detector, thus reducing their movespeed. And a few wolves will be able to kill the detectors super fast.

Also a lot of people overlook the fortifications upgrade. Try to spend power on it, it'll pay off.

But yeah, if you're not being active enough to prevent the game from getting to that point then yes, you deserve what's coming, not trying to sound like a jerk, but that's just how it is.
Lucky you, but my teammates arent always on the attack as well. I play solo so its pretty random if we sync, even with that pinpoint thingy. If I try constant attacks in team games it tends to just result in me vs 2 or three players so :/

If they're at full pop turrets and wolves are not enough to stop air snipers if they focus on the main structure. Sure leader powers can put a stop to them but that's assuming you've got the right leader and have the powers readily available. Then they'll just run and come back or target a less defended base while its recharging lol. Or do the simple thing and insta wipe MY anti air with their leader powers. One particular annoying thing they can do is wipe out those tiny one platform bases I can make across the map that get melted instantly.

Sure, and while my wolves focus on each engineer or nightingale the banshees/Hornets are melting my base and have it destroyed while my AA, infantry, and torrents just manage to put a dent in their numbers.

Like I said I am active it's that in teams taking them down or putting enough pressure on them is unfeasible when their teammate just shows up and puts a stop to it.
I’ve found sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Clap one of their bases with you and teammate. Hide wolverines or reapers out of sight, and jump scare them when they come to base.

Lucky you, but my teammates arent always on the attack as well. I play solo so its pretty random if we sync, even with that pinpoint thingy. If I try constant attacks in team games it tends to just result in me vs 2 or three players so :/

If they're at full pop turrets and wolves are not enough to stop air snipers if they focus on the main structure. Sure leader powers can put a stop to them but that's assuming you've got the right leader and have the powers readily available. Then they'll just run and come back or target a less defended base while its recharging lol. Or do the simple thing and insta wipe MY anti air with their leader powers. One particular annoying thing they can do is wipe out those tiny one platform bases I can make across the map that get melted instantly.

Sure, and while my wolves focus on each engineer or nightingale the banshees/Hornets are melting my base and have it destroyed while my AA, infantry, and torrents just manage to put a dent in their numbers.

Like I said I am active it's that in teams taking them down or putting enough pressure on them is unfeasible when their teammate just shows up and puts a stop to it.
Then your problem is not a balance issue, it's a communication issue. The game should not be modified for that.

Then your problem is not a balance issue, it's a communication issue. The game should not be modified for that.
The problem is air mobility as well. If your solution is "defeat them before they mass air otherwise GG", you're basically admitting air is op. Because this does not hold true for any other unit. Only air has the mobility and firepower to go around sniping bases while easily outmaneuvering their counters. Full pop they're like flying locusts lol.

The problem is air mobility as well. If your solution is "defeat them before they mass air otherwise GG", you're basically admitting air is op. Because this does not hold true for any other unit. Only air has the mobility and firepower to go around sniping bases while easily outmaneuvering their counters. Full pop they're like flying locusts lol.
It holds true for any other unit, if you let me get 120 pop of wraiths I'll stomp whatever you bring up. You won't have time or remaining pop to hard switch to hunters/cyclops or have them upgraded or not having them die to scorch rounds.

The key here is 'letting' the enemy do whatever he wants without you doing anything about it. That's your real problem, you're not doing enough, and you need to have better communication with your teammates.

It holds true for any other unit, if you let me get 120 pop of wraiths I'll stomp whatever you bring up. You won't have time or remaining pop to hard switch to hunters/cyclops or have them upgraded or not having them die to scorch rounds.

The key here is 'letting' the enemy do whatever he wants without you doing anything about it. That's your real problem, you're not doing enough, and you need to have better communication with your teammates.
Completely false. I've demolished full wraith spam and pretty much every other single unit spam there is aside from mass air. Because again, MOBILITY. If things arent going their favor mass Hornets can outmaneuver any kind of vehicle or infantry and target less defended bases where there are not enough AA to stop them before the main structure is destroyed under focus fire. There is no other unit in the game where its GG if its spammed.