Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Why are Covenant base shields so piss poor?

OP Oakenshield6688

Does anybody else think that the covenant base shields are borderline pointless especially considering their cost!?. Far too many units have detect these days so the cloak is just an annoyance not an obstacle and the base shield is also the same. It barely buys you time to deal with an assault I mean whats the point in forking out for either a single or even multiple shields if they can be breached with just simple spam marine with rocket attachment.
I feel the fortification upgrades should also buff attached base shields aswell as well as the current turret health & damage buffs.
Or mybe scale the shields to players tier lvl's - for instance a lvl 2 basic shield can only be penetrated by tier 2 or 3 units not base combat infantry or rush infantry regardless of upgrades. (Would put a stop to people just running around with the arbiters base killers late game and ****ing lvl 3 bases with basic tier 1 infantry which is rediculous) And once you tier 3 your shield it can only be penetrated by other tier 3 units - (would stop the air spam because they couldn't break your shield and would encourage people to use a wider variety of units such as underused tanks to combat bases. Rather than atm where as soon as it turns even slightly stalemate in a game everybody just gives up on skill and swaps to air.) A tier 3 shield that couldn't be breached by tier 2 air units would eliminate that issue. It would force players to bring a few vultures or blisterbacks or tanks and wraiths to help finish the job and would encourage more tactical gameplay and unit diversity and micromanagement rather than just derp spam as much air as possible and click on the enemy base... game over.

Would solve one of this games major problems and make shields a relevant buy again :) and this is coming from somebody who plays a lot of air and is ashamed of himself lol

What do people think?
Personally I think shields do fine for their cost right now, they hold off an assault long enough for one to react and also give a home field advantage.

Not to mention I still remember back when shields were basically inpenetrable. Would rather not go back to that.
I think Banished shields are definitely worth their cost, especially in the early mid game. Banished bases are very tough to kill unless you have a full army.
Shields give your army, essentially, an invulnerability when on defense, which is a massive advantage. You’re getting ~10 seconds of free damage. Hard to not say that’s good.

Moreover, mid-game shields make your bases almost indestructible, as full pop armies are needed to fully break a shield.

Shields are solid.
Shields give your army, essentially, an invulnerability when on defense, which is a massive advantage. You’re getting ~10 seconds of free damage. Hard to not say that’s good.

Moreover, mid-game shields make your bases almost indestructible, as full pop armies are needed to fully break a shield.

Shields are solid.
Curious Joker, but don't you usually have to really squeeze your troops up close to the base for the shield to really protect them?
Ado Ulamee wrote:

Shields are solid.
Curious Joker, but don't you usually have to really squeeze your troops up close to the base for the shield to really protect them?
Depends on the army size and what it consists. You’re not going to fit 120 pop of Wraiths under one shield, but 70 pop of Rangers and Hunters will fit quite nicely.
Ado Ulamee wrote:

Shields are solid.
Depends on the army size and what it consists. You’re not going to fit 120 pop of Wraiths under one shield, but 70 pop of Rangers and Hunters will fit quite nicely.
Hm, usually by the time I have an army that size, the opposing army can easily destroy the shields.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:

Shields are solid.
Hm, usually by the time I have an army that size, the opposing army can easily destroy the shields.
Yes but in the time it takes to destroy them your protected units can do a number on the enemy
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:

Shields are solid.
Shield has saved me multiple times, just put the glass cannons and counters to the enemy army comp together in the shield, and have the tanky ones distract and deal damage alongside the ones you put in the shield. Or use a GB, I dunno.
Back when shields were impossible to destroy in the Banished Chopper meta, Shield cost did not scale and they immediately recharged the entire shield whenever they were completed. Shields on Banished bases feel perfectly fine where they are, plus there is a work-around to them not coming up after the first shield falls.

Banished Pro-tip: If your base is under attack and you are defending it, queue up another shield generator. If you do not have a shield generator on your base whenever the new shield generator is completed, a new shield will protect your base immediately. So to work-around the patch, simply destroy your old shield generator right before the new one finishes, and boom, a shield with full health will be protecting your base again. Repeat as many times as needed to constantly "refresh" the shield's health mid-fight while defending.
Personally I think shields do fine for their cost right now, they hold off an assault long enough for one to react and also give a home field advantage.

Not to mention I still remember back when shields were basically inpenetrable. Would rather not go back to that.
Did they nerf the shields since I've been gone?

Did they nerf the shields since I've been gone?
What was the last season you played?

Oakenshield6688Shields And Clocks gens are useful
by forcing your opponent to waste pop on units that deal no damage and giving your units a bref invincibility while defending,
Considering UNSC and Banished Bases have the same HP this is a pretty big defender's advantage.

Your suggested fix is also a little ridiculous because of the state of T3 Units,
Put simply they're easy to kill with LP and are not vary cost effective this is also why Air becomes the Ultimate game ender (Around 15-20 mark)

For more details on T3 fixes check out
BALANCE DISCUSSION 3.0 SCORPION'S REVENGE
Darkmaximus2 i play this game pretty much every other day so im playing the current season.
The thing is anybody that attacks a covenant base without detectors automatically in their army is just a boon and should uninstall the game lol and also because everybody spams healers in every attack because there OP nearly every attacking army in every game has viable detect. Henceforth making the cloak kinda pointless lol. And tbh you could double shield a base with a cloak i could turn up with 30 odd banshee with 3 engineer and i would **** your double shield within 30 seconds and then your base is pretty much gone after that. Unless you wanna sit in your base with a full pop cap reaver in which case your too defensive and i'll just fly off cap the map and do one of your allies. And you'll lose the game anyways.

I agree the tier 3 units are crap vs LP but thats OP LP's and piss poor tier 3 units thats to blame and piss poor tier 3 units especially tanks have always been a problem. And people switch to air because its easy and massivley OP not just because tanks are crap.
Darkmaximus2 i play this game pretty much every other day so im playing the current season.
The thing is anybody that attacks a covenant base without detectors automatically in their army is just a boon and should uninstall the game lol and also because everybody spams healers in every attack because there OP nearly every attacking army in every game has viable detect. Henceforth making the cloak kinda pointless lol. And tbh you could double shield a base with a cloak i could turn up with 30 odd banshee with 3 engineer and i would **** your double shield within 30 seconds and then your base is pretty much gone after that. Unless you wanna sit in your base with a full pop cap reaver in which case your too defensive and i'll just fly off cap the map and do one of your allies. And you'll lose the game anyways.

I agree the tier 3 units are crap vs LP but thats OP LP's and piss poor tier 3 units thats to blame and piss poor tier 3 units especially tanks have always been a problem. And people switch to air because its easy and massivley OP not just because tanks are crap.
You seem to have missed the point that

1. Shields serve a purpose both in the mid and late game (7-15mins) beyond that that any late game army comp that reaches the base will drop it and rightfully so, they're not supposed to substitute a standing army only prevent harassment and provide a defender's advantage with a army which they do.

2. Even with the increase detect range having cloak can make it significantly harder to assault a base with a stranding army to help defend because now all you opponent has to do is focus down your Detect units and suddenly you're facing an untouchable army.

There are ways to play around both these obstacles but that doesn't make them
"Piss Poor"

As for the idea that is "Air OP" i suggest using the
AIR IS OP - DEDICATED THREAD Because i have no interest in talking about such a complex issues with someone who just labes
"Air OP"

I also have a feeling that you have not fully read through the previous link i gave you because it touch's on more then just tanks, it also covers All T3 units and interaction as well as loads of other QoL changes that could redus the Reliance on Mass air to close out stalemates and prevent such stalemates from happening from
OP Defensive Tactics via LPs, Siege Turrets and ofc Improved T3 units/Interaction.

Edit:
Btw the question
"What was the last season you played?"
Was in response to
AssassinT28Saying,
"Did they nerf the shields since I've been gone?Thats why it was a quote to him and @/Mentione to you in the second sentences.
Nah shields are really good. They only thing that I think is pointless about shields is stacking them. Way too expensive to put another shield on your base and the shield barely gets any stronger. I can’t remember the last time I played against someone who stacked shields. Maybe someone disagrees and can change my mind about stacking shields. But whatever, I’d rather have shield stacking be pointless than have it be OP as hell like it was when they first introduced it.
Nah shields are really good. They only thing that I think is pointless about shields is stacking them. Way too expensive to put another shield on your base and the shield barely gets any stronger. I can’t remember the last time I played against someone who stacked shields. Maybe someone disagrees and can change my mind about stacking shields. But whatever, I’d rather have shield stacking be pointless than have it be OP as hell like it was when they first introduced it.
Shields are a little pointless, more specifically they're not cost effective granting only a 20% buff with each additional shield compared to 40% at launch unless you're in a super turtle its not worth building another one unless ofc you are planning on juggling them or what
BtC HosticideSaid at the end of his post
but it isn't as easy as it sounds or always possible because of the cost scaling.
Best part is if your atriox or Pavium, you get cheap or free shield builds which works well when you build a second shield and destroy the first before it's built. It almost op.