Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Why no Yap Yaps?

OP vHondaHooniganV

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What leader powers do you get for the first couple minutes would be my next question Godzilla?
LUCIANHEAT wrote:
What leader powers do you get for the first couple minutes would be my next question Godzilla?
I'm not Godzilla, but you want to get Surprise Party then Methane Wagon. Wagons are too expensive to pump super early, and the mine helps you deny the enemy resources.
Yap Yap is an awesome leader! Cannon fodder units are free! "Please don't shoot me" leader power saves me in most every game. Can be upgraded so you get more than 20 seconds to respond to a surprise attack on your base. People are SLEEPING on Yap Yap.

One thing to note, if you are going to use grunts you need at least one or two methane wagons. They are useless without them.
Just a 3s example, but Yap yaps fodder have more use than just as a unit. By using the 'hold' command they can be used for excessive scouting of bases and expos. They allow you to have early sight as to what your enemies are making or teching and allow one to early steal mini bases. As the fodder do not cost anything they can be used, in mass for collecting nodes as one moves toward tech 2/3. Yap yap also seems to be power hungry. So when rushing for tech 2 it gives one great advantage to only make heavy grunts as support for the fodder as this will save you energy resources which can be applied to teching up. Some cons to this would including over producing cannon fodder by mistake when one is being rushed so that they cannot counter the rush, so keeping an eye on population is key. Personally I do not used methane wagons until late game in 3s, mostly because I like to focus on node, expo and map control. Thus, double mines tend to be rather effective early game.
Word is the heavy grunts are good against air with an EMP but other than that yap yap is pretty annoying and weak.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2