Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Why was Power ever switched from the First Game

OP YTdaDEVIL

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
YTdaDEVIL wrote:
YTdaDEVIL wrote:
I would just like to imagine how mad the casual community would be if anti air units required multiple upgrades before they were viable. And once again TECH LEVEL IS A THING IN HW2, it's tied to your base level instead of reactors but yes tech is still a thing like in HW1.
It was better when it was tied to reactors.
give a reason or you will continue to be mocked.
This man shares my belief that rushing should be viable, and if you tie tech levels to reactors, you can keep the game in T1 (rush territory) forever! I don't see any possible problem with this, only the prospect of extreme resource denial until your opponent either loses or quits!
It also makes it so people go for buildings on your base instead of the cheap base kill. I think halo 1 man bases were harder to kill if I remember correctly. Sure felt like it.

The reactors tying to tech provided a unique element to the game. I liked it and it made for different strategy than the game now.

I don’t care what anyone says, Halo Wars 1 was a lot more fun despite the games being longer. If they would have just added leaders and altered a few games from the first game, halo wars 2 would be a lot better than it is now.
The "realism" argument is frankly complete bs. Guess what HW1 already had the same mechanic in terms of tech as HW2 it's just that's how the covy worked they paid a one off fee and kept their tech, having tech the way it is now means that it's less of an all or nothing in hw1 it had to be very easy to get end game units e.g. tanks/air because otherwise if you lost a tech level you lost the game. The introduction of power and tech levels as separate entities adds a low more variety to the number of options you have, decreases the game over factor of losing a tech building and generally means that hw2 can have an early game whereas hw1 by necessity basically had to have you sit around doing nothing for 5 minutes.
Bro, play me ill rush you 1 minute into the game, also imagine not having to build infantry every game
YTdaDEVIL wrote:
It makes no sense to have power as a continually accumulating resource. I much preferred the first halo wars when all you had to do is build 4 rectors and your supplies were used for units and upgrades. Why was this changed? Do people actually enjoy this better? It just makes the game more complicated for no good reason and if you don’t have any reactors, why would I have any power? IE, if all my bases gets destroyed and I have 1000 power in resources, how does that make sense? Yeah I get it’s a game and you could say “how does aliens with plasma lasers make sense” but you get my point.

I really dislike a lot of the unnecessary changes made between the two games. You also should have never removed the fact that for expansion bases, you had to fight off flood, or rebels, or whatever and kill them and their base before you could build on it.

i hope that if there is a Halo Wars 3 that they bring back a lot of things from the first game that made it more fun.
Have to agree. Specifically attacking somebody's reactors or other buildings actually meant something in the first game. Now, there are so many power hooks and minibases on the map that you don't actually have to fight for anything. Grabbing a minibase is expected now. The cry babies from the first game whined about rushing, which is ironic considering rushing happens in almost every HW2 game. In fact, if you aren't overly aggressive in HW2 you lose. On top of this, bases get destroyed quickly. Combined with dozens leaders powers and cheap leaders, it's a chaotic mess. The players that couldn't handle the leader rushes in the first game are usually the ones defending the second game. They're still traumatized by the chieftain with 20 engineers and a scarab.
YTdaDEVIL wrote:
It makes no sense to have power as a continually accumulating resource. I much preferred the first halo wars when all you had to do is build 4 rectors and your supplies were used for units and upgrades. Why was this changed? Do people actually enjoy this better? It just makes the game more complicated for no good reason and if you don’t have any reactors, why would I have any power? IE, if all my bases gets destroyed and I have 1000 power in resources, how does that make sense? Yeah I get it’s a game and you could say “how does aliens with plasma lasers make sense” but you get my point.

I really dislike a lot of the unnecessary changes made between the two games. You also should have never removed the fact that for expansion bases, you had to fight off flood, or rebels, or whatever and kill them and their base before you could build on it.

i hope that if there is a Halo Wars 3 that they bring back a lot of things from the first game that made it more fun.
Have to agree. Specifically attacking somebody's reactors or other buildings actually meant something in the first game. Now, there are so many power hooks and minibases on the map that you don't actually have to fight for anything. Grabbing a minibase is expected now. The cry babies from the first game whined about rushing, which is ironic considering rushing happens in almost every HW2 game. In fact, if you aren't overly aggressive in HW2 you lose. On top of this, bases get destroyed quickly. Combined with dozens leaders powers and cheap leaders, it's a chaotic mess. The players that couldn't handle the leader rushes in the first game are usually the ones defending the second game. They're still traumatized by the chieftain with 20 engineers and a scarab.
you're saying a lot of things like they're facts, If someones putting power gens on minis they're doing it wrong except in a couple of circumstances, there's 4-5 nodes that's not many things to manage and gens are expensive so killing one of them is huge. You can see all of this in high level gameplay. And btw I've gotten an account to champ when not attacking for the first 10 minutes every game soooooooo the whole rush or lose thing is bs.
Honestly I dont care either way. Its not as bad as youre making it out to be.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2