Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Why were there no DLC Maps in HW2?

OP RamboBambiBambo

Halo Wars 2 was admittedly strange, considering the fact that the maps of Halo Wars 1 and new potential maps weren't added to the game, whether by paid DLC or a free content update. What gives?
Ya that does seem odd that it sold decent, was received pretty well but got no dlc and had it's sequel shot down. What gives indeed?
I know right?
Like, there is potential for more growth and to have the game be supported for longer would do two things :
  • Provides players with more fun content to skirmish with one-another on / more variety of firefight maps to enjoy.
  • Provides Microsoft and Creative Assembly with more monies.
HW2 is pretty-much unsupported anymore, there's probably like one or two people working on it if any (outside of tech support). But they've also got their hands full with Infinite, on top of RTS being niche in the Halo franchise. I'd love for more maps and leaders, but the likelihood is little to none
Yeah but during the game's post-launch they only released DLC commanders and two DLC stories. I am just confused as to why there was no post-launch expansion, paid or not, of the multiplayer maps roster?
there was weirdly some forge map made by a fan that they added.
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
Wha?

Which one?
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
Wha?

Which one?
hadn't actually looked to deep into it, sure comes across as a fan creation.

https://www.halopedia.org/Fort_Jordan
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
Wha?

Which one?

Fort Jordan is a map from HW1, originally called Fort Deen or something
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
Wha?

Which one?

its not a port though, its a remake for post-launch, and doing a little more memory jogging, i believe fissures and mirage are also post launch maps.

but yeah... they really didn't care about halo wars... like, they added this whole micro transaction cash grab, then only ever had one map for that mode, it was like a concept piece of how a halo RTS might work, that they finished enough to release but not enough to make into a full commitment.

makes me miss Ensemble.
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
Wha?

Which one?

its not a port though, its a remake for post-launch, and doing a little more memory jogging, i believe fissures and mirage are also post launch maps.

but yeah... they really didn't care about halo wars... like, they added this whole micro transaction cash grab, then only ever had one map for that mode, it was like a concept piece of how a halo RTS might work, that they finished enough to release but not enough to make into a full commitment.

makes me miss Ensemble.
I feel ya, but you also gotta remember that HW1 wasn't even supposed to be a Halo game, it was a separate franchise until Microsoft went: "Hey, make it Halo".

But I do wish they'd do more with HW2, or just make a HW3
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
IzzyTH I51 wrote:
Wha?

Which one?

makes me miss Ensemble.
I feel ya, but you also gotta remember that HW1 wasn't even supposed to be a Halo game, it was a separate franchise until Microsoft went: "Hey, make it Halo".

But I do wish they'd do more with HW2, or just make a HW3
Creative Assembly actually pitched a HW3, but it got shut down almost immediately so the devs could focus all resources on MCC updates and Halo Infinite.
However, I believe that we should get a HW3 in the form of a prequel to Infinite, to let us be commanding the forces in a multi-front campaign (kinda like how Command-&-Conquer has a campaign for each faction), but obviously the Banished Campaign has the victory ending. Following the UNSC defeat, we would see the events lead directly into Halo Infinite.
realistic the game fell of fast and did not see the point to put money into
the game had a few maps added post launch to both skirmish and blitz (with blitz just being reskins)
MATT made it only once.
It was a handmade map like Forge Map
I felt his love for HW2 and HW2 player.
Not a little disappointed with 343, who did not decide on a formal implementation
HW2 was awesome, however Halo RTs just doesn't seem to fit most people, I want a legit Space RTS for Halo, they have a bomb mod for a game, however I think it still comes down to the Franchise not being much of an RTS.
I wish I could lift the MOD ban
There were people who made floods