Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

wolverine and reaver upgrade

OP Ramrod the 1

everyone knows that AA needs help just to balance the full pop air onslaught so I propose that during the next patch
they introduce a T3 upgrade for the wolverine and reaver on the left side of the recticle build and upgrade menu.

In halo 1 we had this option for the wolverine and it worked well - this way if the opponent goes max pop air, a handful of anti-air is all that you would need to counter and you can build other units other than wolverine and reavers
I always thought it would be fun to give wolverines a speed boost y ability similar to banshees in HW1.
everyone knows that AA needs help just to balance the full pop air onslaught so I propose that during the next patch
they introduce a T3 upgrade for the wolverine and reaver on the left side of the recticle build and upgrade menu.

In halo 1 we had this option for the wolverine and it worked well - this way if the opponent goes max pop air, a handful of anti-air is all that you would need to counter and you can build other units other than wolverine and reavers
More than anything, the upgrade should give reavers and wolverines a speed boost so that air can't kite around them so easily while focusing a base
I agree a speed boost would help but I am talking about a T3 upgrade should make it more fair for wolverines and reavers
AA should have more range but again not normal if you allow your opponent to have full air, you lack aggressiveness (Just like ~95% of HW 2 players)
First off, air is not OP. Banshees specifically are trash, and while Hornets are aight, CT marines counter them harder than they should.

But a T3 AA upgrade would be a perfect solution. The problem with air is that it's extraordinarily weak on T2, but once it's fully upgraded and massed it's a bit too strong. The solution would be to nerf AA, but make it so that the T3 upgrade made them even better than they are as of now. This would balance out the air vs AA interaction.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen.
AA needs allot of help atm.
Its quite useless once a horde of air hits you.
The main problem is that air units are very generic and good against everything.
They are cheap, one of the fastest units, can go across any terrain and attack any unit(even aa).
There should be a serious tradeoff to offset the "good vs everything" quality of air. ( especially on larger maps ).
AA can't attack anything else and is completely useless unless it fights air. This should give it a certain number of guaranteed kills against air.
E.g like in real life, it should fire and forget its missiles and be able to retreat. 1 missile = 1 downed banshee/hornet.
So that a single aa can still take out 1-2 air units, even if there is a horde of them and they kill the AA unit in a second.
It should also gain a splash damage through an upgrade.

In general, having AA on the battlefield should be a strategic unit that air players should take into considerations.
Right now, I've spent my entire pop-cap on building reavers to fight against air players( who I scouted and knew in advance were building only air), and lost miserably.
A horde of AA couldn't take out a horde of air which it should...effortlessly since its a hard counter to air with no other purpose. AA unit, in general, should be a unit that is not built in masses.

You can also see if some units are OP if you see players only building 1-2 types of units and winning.
This is getting quite boring in my opinion.
I like if players play with many different units, especially infantry mixed with vehicles. This just doesn't happen that often.
Infantry = good players > early game > few snipers + lots of anti-building units > rush for minibuses
In mid-late game > everybody > full pop cap of air OR scarab with rest of the pop cap spent on useless reavers. No unit mixes.
Raineeger wrote:
The main problem is that air units are very generic and good against everything.
They are cheap, one of the fastest units, can go across any terrain and attack any unit(even aa).
There should be a serious tradeoff to offset the "good vs everything" quality of air. ( especially on larger maps ).
AA can't attack anything else and is completely useless unless it fights air. This should give it a certain number of guaranteed kills against air.
E.g like in real life, it should fire and forget its missiles and be able to retreat. 1 missile = 1 downed banshee/hornet.
So that a single aa can still take out 1-2 air units, even if there is a horde of them and they kill the AA unit in a second.

In general, having AA on the battlefield should be a strategic unit that air players should take into considerations.
Right now, I've spent my entire pop-cap on building reavers to fight against air players( who I scouted and knew in advance were building only air), and lost miserably.
A horde of AA couldn't take out a horde of air which it should...effortlessly since its a hard counter to air with no other purpose. AA unit, in general, should be a unit that is not built in masses.

You can also see if some units are OP if you see players only building 1-2 types of units and winning.
I like if players play with many different units, especially infantry mixed with vehicles. This just doesn't happen that often.
Infantry = good players > early game > few snipers + lots of anti-building units > rush for minibuses
In mid-late game > everybody > full pop cap of air OR scarab with rest of the pop cap spent on useless reavers. No unit mixes.
YOU THINK AIR UNITS ARE CHEAP? im being serious.
Raineeger wrote:

YOU THINK AIR UNITS ARE CHEAP? im being serious.
Of course, they are cheap,

Considering that they dont have a real counter and they can attack everything...while many units cant attack them at all means that they should be more expensive...or have a real counter(AA that guarantees a kill on first sight - fire and forget - one shot one kill - slow reload )
Air should be a support unit - may be something like Command and conquer air units - where air is meant to take out strategic targets/bomb unit clusters and fly back to base for reloading.
Air in C&C is expensive, has high damage but is also very vulnerable to AA. In C&C if you run into AA then you can be sure you will lose at least a few air units even if you take out the AA.

That's how it should be.
I agree AA is trash but if you play well you shouldn't let your opponent have max pop of air.
reavers are good where they are but wolverines are trash they need a damage boost to air or a defence buff against them too many times have mass banshees beet my army when I have 8 plus wolverines in the mix while my micro is stupid sweaty fix wolverines 343
How is it people say wolves are trash when they are better then reavers late game when mass air becomes an issue. Hornets are good especially on certain maps (that's a bad map design issue and can never be solved e.g. bedrock, sentry, badlands) banshees are really bad. Wolves are very good rn even on t3 except on said maps where they simply can't be used effectively but Reaver's have huge overkill issues which cannot be resolved with just an upgrade.