Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Worst and Best Leader

OP SilentShadow976

Who do you guys think is the best and worst leader and why? Here’s mine.
Best: Colony
Why: Has arguably the best hero unit in the game, has some great healing late game, and can dish out some good reinforcements with his leader powers. Not to mention that you can slightly buff any of his units with skitterers, making things like Scarabs, Wraiths, Hunter Captain, etc, better overall.

Worst: Arbiter(My opinion)

Why: Doesn’t really have *damaging leader powers, his hero unit is overrated, his phantoms are pretty underwhelming, and stasis just doesn’t do it for me. Also, I really don’t think Conduit of Rage is that good. I just think there’s many other leaders I’d rather play with. But hey, if you like him and you have a good strategy, more power to you.

*When I say damaging, I mean direct damage. Yes, stasis may help you do damage, but it doesn’t do damage on its own. The only ability that does damage off the top of my head is plasma bolts.
Best: Forge or Anders, it's debatable. Worst: Voridus.

Colony is broken in some respects, yes, but it's mostly just because he can turtle up and get a fast Scarab. Otherwise, the game plan that Colony used to have involving building Goliaths and being aggressive doesn't work anymore due to their HP nerf. There are some matchups where Colony can turtle very easily, but there are others in which he can't do much of anything. Because of that he's far from the best.

Arbiter is also far from the worst. He's a bit over hyped right now since he got a few buffs, but he's a solid mid to high tier pick. His early and mid are lacking, but he's Banished so he can just play defensively pretty easily until he gets Conduit 3 and a bunch of other LPs. The plasma bolt buff made it ridiculous as well, so there's that. It's a very potent nuke with a low cooldown that has no counterplay. His T2 hero is also a menace.
Best: anders and forge it’s a close competition
worst: serina

forge eco is busted forgehog is busted and has great leader powers anders siege is busted upgrades is busted, and retriever is busted imo I think forge is just a bit better than anders and has more answers to problems imo although anders is my main

serina: I think she is worse than vordus although vordus can’t deal with most heros and needs buff for some reason I feel like serina is just worse she sucks imo but annoying you would need to make some
real plays early game or turtle I just think she sucks the only thing I find good about her is her hero

Colony is broken in some respects, yes, but it's mostly just because he can turtle up and get a fast Scarab. Otherwise, the game plan that Colony used to have involving building Goliaths and being aggressive doesn't work anymore due to their HP nerf. There are some matchups where Colony can turtle very easily, but there are others in which he can't do much of anything. Because of that he's far from the best.

Arbiter is also far from the worst. He's a bit over hyped right now since he got a few buffs, but he's a solid mid to high tier pick. His early and mid are lacking, but he's Banished so he can just play defensively pretty easily until he gets Conduit 3 and a bunch of other LPs. The plasma bolt buff made it ridiculous as well, so there's that. It's a very potent nuke with a low cooldown that has no counterplay. His T2 hero is also a menace.
Could you elaborate on your picks?

Forge can shut down any Banished, even Decimus, with Flamer/Hero/Kodiak. Vs UNSC his fast tech into hogs is extremely strong due to the Forgehog's aura and how strong his eco is because of Rolling Economy. He also has an excellent late game, with access to the res drone and heavy metal combo.

Anders on the other hand has a strong tech 1 with Douglas, who becomes pretty broken once T2. She hits a power spike due to R&D, with cheap Combat Tech and Dispersion Nozzles. The most broken thing about her though his her siege, which is one of the most OP things in the game.

Voridus is bad because he struggles to kill strong, well-micro'd heroes. He also has the weakest late game in the game. He needs to get into T2 ahead, but that doesn't happen often because of his lack of hero killing options. If you both enter T2 on even ground, chances are they can just play defensively until you have no way of winning.
Best Banished: Decimus

Extremely strong hero and extremely strong leader powers. Spamming banshees is a cool and engaging strategy. Hero can destroy entire army if he gets veterancy. Decimus drop is one of the strongest powers in the game. Insane passive powers like siphon and speed/damage. Still has orb and glassing beam.

Best UNSC: Anders

Best late game leader. Sentinel Kodiak's are overbearing, half research costs, basically have to build air to counter. Her Sentinal uber unit is probably the best leader summon in the game or tied with cutter.

Worst UNSC: Serina

Just doesn't have much. Strongest part is probably being able to freeze power nodes. Better in 2s and 3s.

Worst Banished: Voridus

Good in theory but in most games his goo doesn't really do much, especially against nightingale spam that just heals units back to full. No great unique units.
Nuxra wrote:

Extremely strong hero and extremely strong leader powers. Spamming banshees is a cool and engaging strategy. Hero can destroy entire army if he gets veterancy. Decimus drop is one of the strongest powers in the game. Insane passive powers like siphon and speed/damage. Still has orb and glassing beam.

Best late game leader. Sentinel Kodiak's are overbearing, half research costs, basically have to build air to counter. Her Sentinal uber unit is probably the best leader summon in the game or tied with cutter.

Just doesn't have much. Strongest part is probably being able to freeze power nodes. Better in 2s and 3s.

Good in theory but in most games his goo doesn't really do much, especially against nightingale spam that just heals units back to full. No great unique units.
Anders isn’t great late game she’s good at best in the late game I can name a few of unsc who have better late games than anders
forge,Johnson, isebel, and id even say serina has a better late game than anders

anders excels in the early to mid game because of R&D while siege and sentinal network or the retriever carries her mid game.

after she buys her 4th and 5th teir lp anders doesn’t get as strong as others as the game continues.
Swerve LC wrote:
Nuxra wrote:

Anders isn’t great late game she’s good at best in the late game I can name a few of unsc who have better late games than anders
forge,Johnson, isebel, and id even say serina has a better late game than anders

anders excels in the early to mid game because of R&D while siege and sentinal network or the retriever carries her mid game.

after she buys her 4th and 5th teir lp anders doesn’t get as strong as others as the game continues.
I agree with Anders not being the definitive pick, but shes definitely up there. I wouldn't say Serina is better than her. But, of course, this brings up the issue that Serina needs some buffs.
Swerve LC wrote:
Nuxra wrote:

I agree with Anders not being the definitive pick, but shes definitely up there. I wouldn't say Serina is better than her. But, of course, this brings up the issue that Serina needs some buffs.
Dude anders is the best leader in the game. But late game she is decent at.best all the things that make her good early is irrelevant in the late game
so yes imo serina has a better late game than anders
because in the late game is the only time when she’s actually playable. Getting her there is the problem
read closer remember we were talking about “late game”
Decimus is now less powerful than forge and anders? Did the dude stop going to the gym?
I m champ alll seaspns and play one of rare and pritty week Leaders, the shipmaster. Since last update and nervs on decemus the shipmaster nerved most with that global nervs for banish. This is not only my opinion, because i play him.

So the best leader still the best because of global patshes on units for exemple banish. All Reaver or Hunter and Wraith incl.over powered Decimus since all seasons but nerv the beam for shipmaster the only offence skill. Or, whats about nerv to all mines, shipmaster has only one, so no oneuses it anymore...

Bst Leader still Decimus, yapyap, anders, Forge
In a 2v2 is atriox or decimus-op with cuttter, double anders - wolverin&codiak, yapyap-forge.
3v3 : Yapyap, cutter, decimus... Yapyap, anders, decimus...Tribble Decimus... Dobble yapyap,decimus...

Forge can shut down any Banished, even Decimus, with Flamer/Hero/Kodiak. Vs UNSC his fast tech into hogs is extremely strong due to the Forgehog's aura and how strong his eco is because of Rolling Economy. He also has an excellent late game, with access to the res drone and heavy metal combo.

Anders on the other hand has a strong tech 1 with Douglas, who becomes pretty broken once T2. She hits a power spike due to R&D, with cheap Combat Tech and Dispersion Nozzles. The most broken thing about her though his her siege, which is one of the most OP things in the game.

Voridus is bad because he struggles to kill strong, well-micro'd heroes. He also has the weakest late game in the game. He needs to get into T2 ahead, but that doesn't happen often because of his lack of hero killing options. If you both enter T2 on even ground, chances are they can just play defensively until you have no way of winning.
Voridus is great at killing hero units.
Engineer goo
Chopper ram
Mine
Chopper ram
Grenadier drop
Chopper ram
chopper ram

Engineer goo
Chopper ram
Mine
Chopper ram
Grenadier drop
Chopper ram
chopper ram
If you go mine first point you deserve the impending loss coming your way. Combat Spoils is the only thing worth getting first point for Voridus; the looting for rushing ability is fantastic and provides him with his most effective strategy available.
Not to mention this assumption that you can get 4 choppers and an engineer, afford a drop, AND a mine and pretend you haven't just invested 3-5 times the resources to take down one unit.

Also I should make a note about Arbiter; after his buffs in the last patch he is easily one of the top leaders again.

Engineer goo
Chopper ram
Mine
Chopper ram
Grenadier drop
Chopper ram
chopper ram
So you get up an Apex, build units that marines and grunts can pop like balloons, build mass chopper, pass up on Combat Spoils for mine, all just to kill a 300/275 unit?

I'm sorry, but it sounds to me like you have no idea how to play Voridus.

Engineer goo
Chopper ram
Mine
Chopper ram
Grenadier drop
Chopper ram
chopper ram
Your obviously showing us you don’t know how you play vordus because ever Knows vordus shine so the best in the first few minutes of the game . Clearly you don’t understand how vordus work vordus couldn’t kill a hero to save his life hero units -Yoink- vordus down alongside with snipers vordus is horrible