Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Worst units

OP slive89

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This post is to discuss the worst unit types in the game and how to make them viable
1. Shrouds: For real, whats up with them? Their deviation of missiles ability ia pretty useless and their cloack ability is a Y ability with a tiny AOE .They are expensive and with low health .Plus your enemy must be really bad to not have a single unit with a detect ability. Nigthingales engineers snipers AA almost everything has detect! To improve the unit I would think that perhaps making the cloaking somthing permanent? And the AOE a little bigger. This would make players to build sensor towers from time to time .I wouldn't improve their missile deviation since that would make air spasms even more OP .
2. Grunts. Inferior to marines in every way plus their upgrades are worthless. Even though i wouldn't change them .
3 .Vultures. Expensive, slow, Y ability got nerfed some seasons ago. Easy to destry and counter .To make them viable I would say... Buff their Y ability? I dont want them to be broken either
Any other?
(Sorry for the bad english hahaha)
O I forgot .
4 .Cyclops. Slow regular againts vehicles and useless againts every thing else
5. Wraiths .I wouldn't say that they are the worst unit but wouldn't say they are really viable
Worst units from least terrible to most terrible:

Banshees: expensive, low building damage, small health pool, and the "paper mache" armor type
Protector Sentinel (anders 4 pop unit): no damage, no health, literally no place in the game
Jackrabbit: expensive, low damage, melts to grenades, not worth making if expecting grunt mines, cant hit their target
slive89 wrote:
This post is to discuss the worst unit types in the game and how to make them viable
1. Shrouds: For real, whats up with them? Their deviation of missiles ability ia pretty useless and their cloack ability is a Y ability with a tiny AOE .They are expensive and with low health .Plus your enemy must be really bad to not have a single unit with a detect ability. Nigthingales engineers snipers AA almost everything has detect! To improve the unit I would think that perhaps making the cloaking somthing permanent? And the AOE a little bigger. This would make players to build sensor towers from time to time .I wouldn't improve their missile deviation since that would make air spasms even more OP .
2. Grunts. Inferior to marines in every way plus their upgrades are worthless. Even though i wouldn't change them .
3 .Vultures. Expensive, slow, Y ability got nerfed some seasons ago. Easy to destry and counter .To make them viable I would say... Buff their Y ability? I dont want them to be broken either
Any other?
(Sorry for the bad english hahaha)
  • Shrouds are meant to stop artillery attacks and single rounds from Heroes like Atriox's Chosen, The Bison, and I think the Forgehog. If their cloak was permanent the meta would be invisibility. I do think that the AoE could be increased by a little bit though, as of now it's a little small for concealment.
  • Grunts are also cheaper and take up less unit population. The Grunt mine is great and totally worth running in almost every match as any leader that gets them. the elite cloak is a bit iffy though.
  • Vultures are still bad, they should be the airborn scorpion for the UNSC imo (but wingmen would have to get nerfed more to make it a viable pick) if their Y ability is any better it'd fire a warhead and take down buildings in one go, buffing that missile further is silly.
  • Cyclops need a little more something to make them a good anti tank unit imo.
I would say Jackrabbits and Vultures, neither of them fulfill their role in the slightest
Grunts are good and going into wraiths is your banished endgame if you're not going into air like an idiot.
slive89 wrote:
This post is to discuss the worst unit types in the game and how to make them viable
1. Shrouds: For real, whats up with them? Their deviation of missiles ability ia pretty useless and their cloack ability is a Y ability with a tiny AOE .They are expensive and with low health .Plus your enemy must be really bad to not have a single unit with a detect ability. Nigthingales engineers snipers AA almost everything has detect! To improve the unit I would think that perhaps making the cloaking somthing permanent? And the AOE a little bigger. This would make players to build sensor towers from time to time .I wouldn't improve their missile deviation since that would make air spasms even more OP .
2. Grunts. Inferior to marines in every way plus their upgrades are worthless. Even though i wouldn't change them .
3 .Vultures. Expensive, slow, Y ability got nerfed some seasons ago. Easy to destry and counter .To make them viable I would say... Buff their Y ability? I dont want them to be broken either
Any other?
(Sorry for the bad english hahaha)
  • Shrouds are meant to stop artillery attacks and single rounds from Heroes like Atriox's Chosen, The Bison, and I think the Forgehog. If their cloak was permanent the meta would be invisibility. I do think that the AoE could be increased by a little bit though, as of now it's a little small for concealment.
  • Grunts are also cheaper and take up less unit population. The Grunt mine is great and totally worth running in almost every match as any leader that gets them. the elite cloak is a bit iffy though.
  • Vultures are still bad, they should be the airborn scorpion for the UNSC imo (but wingmen would have to get nerfed more to make it a viable pick) if their Y ability is any better it'd fire a warhead and take down buildings in one go, buffing that missile further is silly.
  • Cyclops need a little more something to make them a good anti tank unit imo.
Actually shroud cant block bison shots , makes no sense but it doesn't.
slive89 wrote:
O I forgot .
4 .Cyclops. Slow regular againts vehicles and useless againts every thing else
5. Wraiths .I wouldn't say that they are the worst unit but wouldn't say they are really viable
Wraith may be good in squad with other unit, or make the enemy to retreat with agressive mortar shots.

But sure when alone the Wraith is pretty bad. And it's useless against a Spartan.
ShanShyuum wrote:
slive89 wrote:
O I forgot .
4 .Cyclops. Slow regular againts vehicles and useless againts every thing else
5. Wraiths .I wouldn't say that they are the worst unit but wouldn't say they are really viable
Wraith may be good in squad with other unit, or make the enemy to retreat with agressive mortar shots.

But sure when alone the Wraith is pretty bad. And it's useless against a Spartan.
Wraiths are the best late game unit the Banished get. Scorch mortar gives some nice extra dps, and their move speed + shield is wonderful for hit and runs.
Grunts are cheaper than marines and their mines are good vs anything not air. I could be mistaken but I thought that wraiths beat scorpions now (without canny shell).

Shrouds are supports and they do a good job of it, just depends what they're being thrown into. I mean being able to negate Kodiak and mega turrets is pretty good. My only issue with them is that they can't seem to use their y ability and keep moving. For example, moving a group of units towards a base and just before getting in range I pop the y ability. The army keeps going but the shroud stops so you have to tell it move again, not game breaking by any means just a bit irritating.
The Jackrabbit: useless and a waste of resources. When the game launched it didn't have the grenade launcher until you spent resources on it. What were they thinking? All it is good for is speed, sadly faster than the warthog which used to be the scout unit.

The Vulture: I kinda agree with the op on the Pheniox Missile but I mostly miss the mega barrage. Best thing I ever saw was multiple Vulture engage a base with the mega barrage and the pilot say the best quote ever "Unleasing Hell"!
To me overall grunts are worthless. I hardly ever waist supply’s on them.
The jackrabbit is weak and is only decent when it’s upgraded. If used right and because of their speed and when upgraded they can be effective against infantry.
The Vukture y missle is fine with good range but they are slow and they can’t take on damage. If their cooldown was less that would help.
Wraiths are good now after the buff.
Shrouds have to be used right or they are not worth supply’s or pop. But can be effective. I agree that it doesn’t make sense they can’t move when you use the cloaking with them. I believe the nightengales move when you use their y ability.
  1. Grunts are great, if you aren't building them in tech 1 then you're probably dying very quickly.
  2. Jackrabbits are bad, don't even bother upgrading them, it hurts more than it helps.
  3. Vultures could use a bit more dps without the missile. I think they should be effectively scorpions but airborne.
  4. Wraiths are good, I agree.
  5. You just have to tell the shroud to move again after using his cloak. Gales move because they have to get in range to fire their smoke bomb.
Why are people saying Wraiths sucks? They're frightening and just get worse the longer the game goes on.
  1. Grunts are great, if you aren't building them in tech 1 then you're probably dying very quickly.
  2. Jackrabbits are bad, don't even bother upgrading them, it hurts more than it helps.
  3. Vultures could use a bit more dps without the missile. I think they should be effectively scorpions but airborne.
  4. Wraiths are good, I agree.
  5. You just have to tell the shroud to move again after using his cloak. Gales move because they have to get in range to fire their smoke bomb.
1. I have a pretty good record. Over 1200 wins and only 200 loss. So I don’t die quickly. I would rather spend my supplies on jump pack brutes or choppers with most banished leaders early game. Speed of the choppers and their ram effect and the jump brutes building damage is insane.
2. I have won many games with upgrading jackrabbits. You just have to manage them properly. But when you learn how to use them they can be very effective early game
3. Agree
4. 👍
5. The shroud does not move when it is cloaking. Unless that has been updated in the last few weeks ?
1. I have a pretty good record. Over 1200 wins and only 200 loss. So I don’t die quickly. I would rather spend my supplies on jump pack brutes or choppers with most banished leaders early game. Speed of the choppers and their ram effect and the jump brutes building damage is insane.
2. I have won many games with upgrading jackrabbits. You just have to manage them properly. But when you learn how to use them they can be very effective early game
3. Agree
4. 👍
5. The shroud does not move when it is cloaking. Unless that has been updated in the last few weeks ?
  1. What format do you play? I exclusively play 1v1, and if you don't get grunts early on you'll probably die a fiery death if they scout and counter whichever unit you end up spamming.
  2. Jackrabbits used to be good, but that was before I started playing HW2; now they lose to every other scout in the game by a large margin.
  3. The Shroud doesn't move as it cloaks, it can move after it cloaks, that's what I was trying to say. Or at least, I think it can.
  1. Grunts are great, if you aren't building them in tech 1 then you're probably dying very quickly.
  2. Jackrabbits are bad, don't even bother upgrading them, it hurts more than it helps.
  3. Vultures could use a bit more dps without the missile. I think they should be effectively scorpions but airborne.
  4. Wraiths are good, I agree.
  5. You just have to tell the shroud to move again after using his cloak. Gales move because they have to get in range to fire their smoke bomb.
1. I have a pretty good record. Over 1200 wins and only 200 loss. So I don’t die quickly. I would rather spend my supplies on jump pack brutes or choppers with most banished leaders early game. Speed of the choppers and their ram effect and the jump brutes building damage is insane.
2. I have won many games with upgrading jackrabbits. You just have to manage them properly. But when you learn how to use them they can be very effective early game
3. Agree
4. 👍
5. The shroud does not move when it is cloaking. Unless that has been updated in the last few weeks ?
You play against AI, which will mass jack rabbits 10 minutes into the game. Play 1v1 to get a full grasp on the units, please.
Eh, the Wraith can work...sometimes lol
TRON 092 wrote:
The Jackrabbit: useless and a waste of resources. When the game launched it didn't have the grenade launcher until you spent resources on it. What were they thinking? All it is good for is speed, sadly faster than the warthog which used to be the scout unit.

The Vulture: I kinda agree with the op on the Pheniox Missile but I mostly miss the mega barrage. Best thing I ever saw was multiple Vulture engage a base with the mega barrage and the pilot say the best quote ever "Unleasing Hell"!
I'm going to add the wolverine to my list. Played the first Halo Wars game and realized the the wolverine in that game was a feared unit compared to this game. By feared unit I mean if you were attack a base with aircraft and you saw 2 wolverines you would retreat.
Objectively speaking, the worst unit in the game is the cryo trooper. Very little damage output, can't shoot at Air, and loses to all other Anti-infantry despite being an anti infantry unit.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2