Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Wtf Jerome OP much? or Is Isabel weak

OP DarkBlades25

Good God, I just played a 1v1 with someone that was using jerome. I had map map control, resource control and won many battles, But every -BLAM- time I make it to his base His heroes and leaderpowers would push me back, no matter how much I tried.

Super annoying. I just quit. 46 min long, with the tools at my disposal I should of won but wth . With the things that I had, it should of not taken that long.
And how did he generate more supplies then me. I had way more supply depots. -_-
Only 46 minutes? Psh. I've spent double that time in matches holding on by a thread, only to push back the enemy, reclaim the map, and destroy every last unit they had on the field.

The real problem is that you didn't stay determined. With every advantage you had, how could you not be determined to win?

Not to sound rude or anything*
is jerome overpowered?... to put it simply - no.

is isabel underpowered?... debatable.

what can you do as isabel to stop jerome?... not much. you have to play irregularly to make it to end game because throughout the early game you're going to be weaker than he is. neither of you have any sort of early game economy, but jerome has inspire and time for heroes. because of that it's just a poor match up. isabel's late game can be decent because you get to make vehicles quicker, but jerome can hijack 3 of those vehicles. spartan vehicles cant be ghost in the machined either. if you can build your army up bigger than his though and then mac blast his heroes into extinction you'll have a chance.
well yeah i dont think most people understand that building the counters to your opponent is wirse than making your opponent build xounters

remembers if your forcing cyclops becayse y have tanks your in a way better spot than the guys building ur counter

i know its pretty lame balance but its so true
wydyadoit wrote:

what can you do as isabel to stop jerome?... not much. you have to play irregularly to make it to end game because throughout the early game you're going to be weaker than he is. neither of you have any sort of early game economy, but jerome has inspire and time for heroes. because of that it's just a poor match up. isabel's late game can be decent because you get to make vehicles quicker, but jerome can hijack 3 of those vehicles. spartan vehicles cant be ghost in the machined either. if you can build your army up bigger than his though and then mac blast his heroes into extinction you'll have a chance.
This is a great response. And its making me rethink using Her. Because the +++ she had wasnt enough for me to stop him in late game . There isnt a anti-vehicle vehicle. The Tank Doesnt do that great against other vehicles either. -_-
I personally never use Isabel because she just seems kinda weak to me, what units were you both using?
If it's a really long match I'd try going all hornets to get the opponent to build up a ton of anti air, then rush in with 20+ cyclops and the rest snipers (for Jerome and Omega team). Fully upgraded cyclops are pretty good against bases so they could take that out plus the Jerome mantis, and some snipers to take care of the rest. Sure, his main damage power could demolish infantry but with Isabel you have heavy metal to boost defence for that exact moment. With Mac blast and Ghost you should be able to take the base.

Honestly if you're controlling the map you shouldn't give up after just 46. If he's just turtling he wants you to quit! You could've had this!!! Haha.
Limeshake wrote:
I personally never use Isabel because she just seems kinda weak to me, what units were you both using?
I used anything that countered him. Which isnt saing alot but really, he started with ground units, I had hogs and hellbringers, then he brought out vehicles, I countered with Snipers, Cyclops, Air Heal, and a couple tanks.

He went everywhere. those spartans are what kept me from breaking inside the base.
I guess my recommendation would to be don't make an entire army of "anti". Have a base unit that makes the backbone of your army and use the counter units to supplement your force. If they are infantry, try mostly hogs and scorpions with a few snipers to help things along. If he is vehicles, try air with some cyclopes and snipers. Infantry isn't too good late game against air because of how slow it is so an air army usually should be met by an air army with a couple wolverines. This is at least how I've been trying to play lately and its been working out okay because core units don't use too much power, this lets me upgrade my units quicker then when I was trying to make all rangers and hunters. If I'm wrong, I appreciate everyone's constructive feedback.

And don't forget to scout
I've been trying Isabel in 1v1 and she does feel weak to me. I think maybe she can shine better in 2v2 o 3v3
Isabel is weak atm. Not sure why but the after game stats show that against leaders like Jerome she will struggle.
Nah, fam. That loss is on you. You didn't get out-produced by a bad margin and you had map control...

You're problem is that you didn't know how to close him out. You also didn't know when to switch up your army composition and you didn't show much diversity in said composition.

You need to practice more and find out what works best for Isabel late game. Idk for the life of me why you didn't at least make 5 Vultures, drop a Combat Salvage on them and then sneak over to one of his bases. If you had total map control, then you should've been able to sneak over undetected, take out 1, lose them most likely and then have the 5 back out and ready to go for round 2.

The Jerome player had like 10-15 Cyclops at one point. That's 40-60 pop out of a possible 120 and he didn't have much Anti-Air. Vultures probably would've won it for you...
Don't be upset I beat you, it's just skill level
wydyadoit wrote:

I'm kind of noobie in RTS but i feel that if Isabel could ghost in the machine the hijacked vehicles , these Isabel vs Jerome matches might be more balanced.
Isabel has never been good, and CA have put forth negligible effort to fix that fact. That said, she is my favorite UNSC leader because of how unique she is. You have to go Tanks and Nightingales if you want to exploit her full potential. Still, she's better in 2s and 3s than she is in 1s. With a teammate, you can just sit back and boom. 1v1 requires you to contest map control and fight throughout the entirety of tech 1 and 2.
Bauer8056 wrote:
wydyadoit wrote:

I'm kind of noobie in RTS but i feel that if Isabel could ghost in the machine the hijacked vehicles , these Isabel vs Jerome matches might be more balanced.
isabels decoy and heavy metal arent very effective as opening powers. then you have turret drop and restoration drones which are wastes of resources early game. mac blast is the first power you get that actually matters and accelerated assembly is a great passive, but because it's a tech 2 passive that you wont get until your 3rd point it comes a bit late. lotus mines are generally considered useless by a majority of the player base though i like them somtimes. the best offense requires you to build specifically nightingales and/or scorpions. combat salvage only works on vehicles further forcing you into a specific army build. ghost in the machine requires your opponents to be using non-hero occupied vehicles and have those vehicles in a specific clump so that you can either have those units destroy themselves or destroy the other army and be in position for a mac blast.

isabel is a great leader, but her powers just dont do anything for her. i could see isabel having her leader powers re-positioned to grant her an earlier mac blast or lotus mine. or replacing her heavy metal, turret drop, or lotus mine with something more specific to her and her part in the campaign. even going so far as to allow her to self destruct the units she steals with ghost in the machine could help provide her with play maker potential. due to her not having any unique units it's hard for her to face opponents that do.