Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Xbox Arena Tournament - Feedback & Discussion

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
All units! With Official Xbox Arena Tournaments starting to roll out for Halo Wars 2 we'd love to get your feedback and invite you to join the discussion.

Please use this thread to share feedback, discuss Arena tournaments, converse with other players, find teammates, etc...

For information on upcoming Official Xbox Arena Tournaments and results of past events, please see THIS THREAD.

Please play nice and be respectful of others - we want the Halo Wars 2 community to be a positive place for veterans and newcomers alike. Trash talking and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Number one request and feedback. If you can add spectator mode please do!

Also if there is anyway for players to advance to the next round without waiting for everyone's games to finish that would be great
Make it possible to have a series of matches (best of 3, 5, 7) at different rounds. Nobody wants to play a cointoss game in the late rounds.

Also, spectators need to be able to join games. Without content creators getting material, these tournaments will forever stay under the radar.
Official 343 Tournaments for BLITZ would be so cool! Preferably 2v2s!
Like Naka said, spectator support is probably #1. Tournaments get hype because people love watching them, and the winners get to be seen. Even if it isn't livestreamed, spectators recording the match for later watching would be much appreciated.

For #2, again like Naka said, would be the ability to have series in later rounds. Results in a more entertaining watch and a more fair competition (Can't get lucky with 1 cheese tactic).

Down the road #3 would be prizes or something. Not necessarily cash money, but maybe 343i loot, free Xbox Live Gold, free H5 req packs etc. Something to drum up some more interest and competition.
# The tourney is 3 am for me... ains. :(
Like Naka said, spectator support is probably #1. Tournaments get hype because people love watching them, and the winners get to be seen. Even if it isn't livestreamed, spectators recording the match for later watching would be much appreciated.

For #2, again like Naka said, would be the ability to have series in later rounds. Results in a more entertaining watch and a more fair competition (Can't get lucky with 1 cheese tactic).

Down the road #3 would be prizes or something. Not necessarily cash money, but maybe 343i loot, free Xbox Live Gold, free H5 req packs etc. Something to drum up some more interest and competition.
i agree with what sup3rior said maybe prizes for winning maybe like a 3 week trial of game pass or gold would make it worth it and include packs for blitz
Four things:
#1: As is being echoed here, spectator support! I understand this has implications with cheating, but perhaps maybe if only the tournament creator can spectate, or perhaps simply make it like Halo 5 spectator mode where there’s a couple minute delay. Just so that these tournaments can be streamed! Think this is definitely #1, though not sure if the ability for this has been implemented into Arena yet.
#2: Prizes! Other games with official tournaments like World of Tanks advertise prizes. Its an option when setting up an official tournament and has a little prize icon next to the tournament! Would be great to see, even if theyre just small things.
#3: Being able to have tournaments be broken up into days. Like a real large tournament it would be great to have a full tournament with 256 players over the course of a couple days. Though I understand this feature is an Xbox Arena Team request, so it would be great if you could forward this request to them!
#4: Being able to make our own teams with names and logos! Right now teams are just named after the captain of the team, would be great to create one with a logo and name. Again this is more of a feature request for the Xbox Arena Team. (Edit: Apparently this has already been added? Haven’t seen anyone utilise it yet.)
#4: Being able to make our own teams with names and logos! Right now teams are just named after the captain of the team, would be great to create one with a logo and name. Again this is more of a feature request for the Xbox Arena Team.
This one is actually possible right now, did you not know that?
The only thing good about the Club tournaments is that it automatically sets up each match and would make processing say..90 games easy.

The problem with the club tournaments is its buggy and lacks administrative controls.

Back when i was working with OmegaTeam We had to postpone a tournament for over an hour because of someone couldn't connect to a lobby and it froze the whole system.

Maps picks are restricted to 3 and there are no ways to cast games or enforce rules if there is a game breaking exploit like with what happen with colony.

These are the things i want to mention because without more feature added to Arena its dead content for the Creative Members of the Community and even some of the Competitive players as well.

No one wants to play or see a tournament where exploits can not be kept in check and the most inflexible players can win.

With all that said the potential for Arena to become a powerhouse is there but what we have is just a skeleton of the beast.
#4: Being able to make our own teams with names and logos! Right now teams are just named after the captain of the team, would be great to create one with a logo and name. Again this is more of a feature request for the Xbox Arena Team.
This one is actually possible right now, did you not know that?
Oh really? I haven’t seen a single team with a unique name or image.
Four things:

#4: Being able to make our own teams with names and logos! Right now teams are just named after the captain of the team, would be great to create one with a logo and name. Again this is more of a feature request for the Xbox Arena Team. (Edit: Apparently this has already been added? Haven’t seen anyone utilise it yet.)
Before you create the team ( if your team captain) you can change the team name to whatever you like before you submit the team, its always been this way
When is the next tournament.
Registration lasted all of 1 day.
We will be kicking off another Tournament next week once this one completed. We will likely be increasing the number of spots in the future as they are filling up rather quickly.
Wrensi wrote:
We will be kicking off another Tournament next week once this one completed. We will likely be increasing the number of spots in the future as they are filling up rather quickly.
Hey Wrensi, would you also like to organize an official 343 Blitz tournament?

Best regards =)
TYRELL zx wrote:
Wrensi wrote:

Best regards =)
We have discussed that, stay tuned, haha
Wrensi wrote:
TYRELL zx wrote:
Wrensi wrote:

Best regards =)
We have discussed that, stay tuned, haha
:D!
Thanks to everyone who competed in our March 17th tournament. We'd hope that doubling the size and adding an extra week to the lead up would result in a larger attendance and initially, it did. However, despite having 61 of 64 spots filled during sign-ups, only a small fraction of players who registered actually showed up to play.

We're curious - If you registered but then didn't play, why not?

Naturally life happens and it's understandable but we want to keep learning and improving on this system. Is two weeks notice too much time? Did people perhaps sign up right away and then two weeks later, on the day of, just totally forget about it?

What if we just picked a consistent, recurring timeline for these tournaments (i.e. something like the first Saturday of every month) - would that be more convenient for folks?

Also - we've heard the feedback re: spectator mode but for the time being it's just outside the scope of what's feasible. That would require non-trivial development work at 343 as well as a bunch of work from the Arena Team - neither of which is currently resourced. It's definitely still an ongoing conversation but for the time being the existing system is what we've got to work with. That said, we do hear the asks for a Blitz Tournament and we're looking at that for an upcoming Arena Tournament.

thanks for the feedback!
I think having more reminders than just the 15 minute check in would be helpful. Day before or even more would be helpful.
My 2 cents

Area mode is good for qualifier rounds maybe, but the actual tournaments with the top tier players should be streamed for the enjoyment of the community. I'm going to be super blunt with my next two statements.

1) there was one other experienced player in the last tournament besides me and most of my games didn't last longer than 7 minutes. This is because the people that signed up aren't the people that take the game most seriously. They just happened to be on waypoint at the right time.
2) I shouldn't be winning any legitimate tournaments. Don't get me wrong I am a good player at this game. But I know more than a handful of players that would either trade with me, beat me, or crush me. I only think I won because 1 other champion player showed up and I happen to play better than him that day.

If the official sponsored HW tournaments from 343 are going to carry any weight, there needs to be a way to make sure that more high level players get to play in them. Especially if any sort of prize is involved. I can almost guarantee that they would be more likely to show up than the 20 or so that ghosted the last tournament. I think arena tournaments should be held twice within a week on separate days so that there is more flexibility with people signing up. On top of that, I would rather see 2 64 person tournaments than 1 128 person tournament for the sake of time. Finally, I think any "Bid deal" tournament should be invite only to the top players so that it is logistically easier to execute.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2