Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Championship Series

[Locked] 2017 Season Update

OP Tashi

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 13
The radar is very well balanced. It does not need to be changed.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
will these changes be applied to ranked playlists?
Yes I think it's only the ranked playlist that it will be used on. So no AR starts for ranked. If your pistol is not strong please beware and find a weapon a-sap lol
kaykx wrote:
Quote:
The Assult Rifle's effectiveness is similar across a wide range of skill levels, which is not intended.
All what you said about autos is true. For social, not competitive. Competitive Halo has always been Precision starts:
Halo CE - Pistol start
Halo 2 - BR
Halo 3 - BR
Halo 4 -BR
In addition to that, many of the 'casual' aspects of each game are removed for competitive.
The sword was removed in H2 when it turned out to be too powerful.
At one point they removed dual wielding because it turned out too powerful and not skillful at all.
There were no Bubble Shields, Power Drains, etc. in Halo 3 competitive settings.
And most importantly the weapons were different from social and the radar was OFF in eqch Halo from the start.
So it is ok that the AR is 'useful enough for all players" as you put it. But not in competitive.
And what the hell does Warzone has to do with competitive settings?
I can play real competitive settings with no Radar and No Automatics and easily go play social with radar and automatics and all those funny REQ-one-shot-kill weapons.
Just because one playlist is different it shouldn't stop you from learning how to play each. I don't see anyone complaining about how different griffball is.
Maybe the problem is that casuals in Halo 5 were badly educated by 343 on what real competitive settings are. Now they feel they can't take part on it when a few changes need to be made and this shouldn't be the case. A few changes shouldn't alienate people. Like I said before on ALL Halos, competitive settings were drastically different from social settings and casual players didn't complain that competitive was to hard.
I was a casual in Halo 3 and I never thought competitive was bad just because it required more skill.
CE was pistol/AR starts bud.
I know that, but that AR was a real utility weapon in that game. Not an overpowered killing machine. Pull out your AR in CE and try to win a fight, I dare you bud..
If you are just trying to correct me, then thanks. I missed that.
If you are trying to defend automatic weapons in H5 for competitive, come back when you find any real facts or statements that support it.

EDIT: As you can see, the majority of posts here show that the competitive community needed/wanted these changes for a long while. There's like 3-4 people saying they don't like it.
The CE AR was complete dog-yoink!- in campaign to. Also bud there's more then just 3 or 4 people there's a lot. The casual fans don't like this change. It will go back to a one gun game which NO one wants but the pros.
kaykx wrote:
Quote:
The Assult Rifle's effectiveness is similar across a wide range of skill levels, which is not intended.
All what you said about autos is true. For social, not competitive. Competitive Halo has always been Precision starts:
Halo CE - Pistol start
Halo 2 - BR
Halo 3 - BR
Halo 4 -BR
In addition to that, many of the 'casual' aspects of each game are removed for competitive.
The sword was removed in H2 when it turned out to be too powerful.
At one point they removed dual wielding because it turned out too powerful and not skillful at all.
There were no Bubble Shields, Power Drains, etc. in Halo 3 competitive settings.
And most importantly the weapons were different from social and the radar was OFF in eqch Halo from the start.
So it is ok that the AR is 'useful enough for all players" as you put it. But not in competitive.
And what the hell does Warzone has to do with competitive settings?
I can play real competitive settings with no Radar and No Automatics and easily go play social with radar and automatics and all those funny REQ-one-shot-kill weapons.
Just because one playlist is different it shouldn't stop you from learning how to play each. I don't see anyone complaining about how different griffball is.
Maybe the problem is that casuals in Halo 5 were badly educated by 343 on what real competitive settings are. Now they feel they can't take part on it when a few changes need to be made and this shouldn't be the case. A few changes shouldn't alienate people. Like I said before on ALL Halos, competitive settings were drastically different from social settings and casual players didn't complain that competitive was to hard.
I was a casual in Halo 3 and I never thought competitive was bad just because it required more skill.
CE was pistol/AR starts bud.
The CE AR was complete dog-yoink!- in campaign to. Also bud there's more then just 3 or 4 people there's a lot. The casual fans don't like this change. It will go back to a one gun game which NO one wants but the pros.
The only thing you have to back you up is that you need the weapon to have a decent performance. No real reason why you think Autos should be part of competitive.
It is not just the Pro players, it is the whole competitive community behind them. This is what Halo competitive has always been, different from social.
Those "more than 3 o 4 people" you mentioned are casual players. There's 8 social playlists, 6 ranked playlists (that will keep the same settings as of right now) and Warzone. What else do you want for social? A racing playlist? an assassination only playlist?
Bring up some real arguments and not just opinion, I tried to have a smart discussion with you and you ended up blocking me on twitter. Probably because you can't come up with a real reason why Autos should stay in competitive.
Here are my statements:
  • The Automatics are too powerful and there's very little skill involved in auto gunfights.
  • Since they require less skill to use, competitive players feel this is an insult to their skill (the same goes for radar and their awareness level) However, since they are on the map these players are forced to use them
  • Autos (and radar) promote crouching and waiting for easy unexpected kills. As a player/viewer of HCS this slow down a game that is supposed to be fast. It makes it boring.
  • Where's the satisfaction in getting an Auto kill when there's no skill involved? Why do I want to see super talented players go off with an AR? not impressive and certainly not rewarding enough like getting a perfect kill or getting precision weapon kill when you are outnumbered.
  • No other Halo had Strong Autos in competitive. They were always meant for casual game play.
  • There's more than one precision weapon. The BR is excellent, but that doesn't mean you can't beat it with the magnum. There's also the carbine, DMR and Light Rifle. There's also power weapons.
  • The Nornfang sniper is not in competitive for the same reason Autos shouldn't be there. Doesn't take skill to use. No one is complaining about this though,a nd everyone understands, use the same logic for Autos.
  • Social shouldn't be affected if they decide to reintroduce these weapons into Ranked because they can make a new REQ (Nerfed) version of them.
These are 8 things I was able to come up with in 1 min. and there's a lot more. Where's your reasoning behind wanting autos in competitive? Don't come to this thread to post a rant. Discuss, give feedback, show your opinion (backed up with facts) and believe me, they can fix competitive without affecting social if you are smart about your feedback.
And don't come with "the game will turn into a one gun blah blah" there's more than one precision weapon.
Poor AR is getting some heat lol....I have watched competitive halo and your right. The loosing team will slowthe game down in a effort to tilt the advantage towards them. And it's right when you say it makes the game boring in a way because there's nothing going on for that time while the teams work a strategy for a collapse or power weapon or power up grab. That can be interesting wondering and watching what they come up with in a way. I do think the changes will make the new meta interesting for the pro players and the aspiring pro players out there. Getting suprised by a player cause there's no radar will make the headset a valuable thing and make that 1v1 intense and the hope of a reversal. Instead of the AR start or secondary weapon what do y'all think about secondary grenades start?
iE ReSpEcT wrote:
All of this is sounding great! Honestly though, radar should be removed entirely. It's just one of those things that seperated halo players from everyone else. Also Spartan charges are so OP right now it's crazy. They should either nerf it somehow, or better yet, remove it entirely. Whatever happens, seems as though y'all are advancing in the right direction.
SC's magnetism is OP, but other than that it's basically a glorified melee.
I think the only thing I disagree with is the splinter grenade. I think the fact it acts as a means of denying access to a flag or pathway or power weapon makes it an effective weapon even if it doesn't kill. It adds strategy to the game. It's a bit dumb taking it out because it's not being used to kill people.

I don't like seeing that you are looking for a way to add things like the AR and Sword back into the game. Speaking of the Sword, is it only Truth CTF or is it Truth altogether.

I saw a thread where someone was asking for changes to sword to not effect campaign because of speedruns. I agree with this.
kaykx wrote:
Quote:
The Assult Rifle's effectiveness is similar across a wide range of skill levels, which is not intended.
All what you said about autos is true. For social, not competitive. Competitive Halo has always been Precision starts:
Halo CE - Pistol start
Halo 2 - BR
Halo 3 - BR
Halo 4 -BR
In addition to that, many of the 'casual' aspects of each game are removed for competitive.
The sword was removed in H2 when it turned out to be too powerful.
At one point they removed dual wielding because it turned out too powerful and not skillful at all.
There were no Bubble Shields, Power Drains, etc. in Halo 3 competitive settings.
And most importantly the weapons were different from social and the radar was OFF in eqch Halo from the start.
So it is ok that the AR is 'useful enough for all players" as you put it. But not in competitive.
And what the hell does Warzone has to do with competitive settings?
I can play real competitive settings with no Radar and No Automatics and easily go play social with radar and automatics and all those funny REQ-one-shot-kill weapons.
Just because one playlist is different it shouldn't stop you from learning how to play each. I don't see anyone complaining about how different griffball is.
Maybe the problem is that casuals in Halo 5 were badly educated by 343 on what real competitive settings are. Now they feel they can't take part on it when a few changes need to be made and this shouldn't be the case. A few changes shouldn't alienate people. Like I said before on ALL Halos, competitive settings were drastically different from social settings and casual players didn't complain that competitive was to hard.
I was a casual in Halo 3 and I never thought competitive was bad just because it required more skill.
CE was pistol/AR starts bud.
The CE AR was complete dog-yoink!- in campaign to. Also bud there's more then just 3 or 4 people there's a lot. The casual fans don't like this change. It will go back to a one gun game which NO one wants but the pros.
The only thing you have to back you up is that you need the weapon to have a decent performance. No real reason why you think Autos should be part of competitive.
It is not just the Pro players, it is the whole competitive community behind them. This is what Halo competitive has always been, different from social.
Those "more than 3 o 4 people" you mentioned are casual players. There's 8 social playlists, 6 ranked playlists (that will keep the same settings as of right now) and Warzone. What else do you want for social? A racing playlist? an assassination only playlist?
Bring up some real arguments and not just opinion, I tried to have a smart discussion with you and you ended up blocking me on twitter. Probably because you can't come up with a real reason why Autos should stay in competitive.
Here are my statements:
  • The Automatics are too powerful and there's very little skill involved in auto gunfights.
  • Since they require less skill to use, competitive players feel this is an insult to their skill (the same goes for radar and their awareness level) However, since they are on the map these players are forced to use them
  • Autos (and radar) promote crouching and waiting for easy unexpected kills. As a player/viewer of HCS this slow down a game that is supposed to be fast. It makes it boring.
  • Where's the satisfaction in getting an Auto kill when there's no skill involved? Why do I want to see super talented players go off with an AR? not impressive and certainly not rewarding enough like getting a perfect kill or getting precision weapon kill when you are outnumbered.
  • No other Halo had Strong Autos in competitive. They were always meant for casual game play.
  • There's more than one precision weapon. The BR is excellent, but that doesn't mean you can't beat it with the magnum. There's also the carbine, DMR and Light Rifle. There's also power weapons.
  • The Nornfang sniper is not in competitive for the same reason Autos shouldn't be there. Doesn't take skill to use. No one is complaining about this though, and everyone understands, use the same logic for Autos.
  • Social shouldn't be affected if they decide to reintroduce these weapons into Ranked because they can make a new REQ (Nerfed) version of them.
These are 8 things I was able to come up with in 1 min. and there's a lot more. Where's your reasoning behind wanting autos in competitive? Don't come to this thread to post a rant. Discuss, give feedback, show your opinion (backed up with facts) and believe me, they can fix competitive without affecting social if you are smart about your feedback.
And don't come with "the game will turn into a one gun blah blah" there's more than one precision weapon.
  • Too powerful? Automatic weapons (in virtual and realistic situations) are made for razing things to the ground. The AR is the second-or-third least qualified weapon to be labeled OP. If it takes at least half a clip to kill a normally-shielded Spartan, it's not OP. Period.
  • Breakout (which is a competitive playlist) utilizes shotguns. Is that an insult to players' skill, too?
  • The only autos which promote lying in wait would be just as effective in an open battlefield (unless the other guy has a sniper or rocket, which would be insulting to the competitive player, right?)., except for bayonetted weapons. See SAW, AfD, Answer, R'sE.
  • With the same reasoning, Where's the satisfaction in getting a shotgun (or rocket or sniper or tank, etc., etc., etc.) kill when there's no skill involved? It would actually be very impressive to see a guy kill 2+ enemies with an AR without dying. See Point 1.
  • Every Halo has had pistol/BR/DMR+AR starts. CE, 2, 3, Reach, 4 (in a select number of playlists due to loadouts), and 5. Now, Wars and Wars 2 don't, but it wouldn't make any sense for them to. The most powerful starting auto (other than in Fiesta) was the H4 Suppressor, if you could hit all your shots.
  • Duh?
  • See #2. I would defend the current Splinter Grenades similarly. You are usually unable to tell what weapon an enemy is holding unless it's unusually large or funky-colored. You definitely can't tell it's a shotgun unless you saw them kill someone else with it. Splinters (and grenades in general) are very similar.
  • If they want to nerf the weapons in competitive but not in the rest, I think that making it a different variant is the only possibility. You can't give one particular weapon different damage depending on the game type.
Swords should not have a speed boost. The lunge is annoying when you are being killed by it, but it is almost necessary in order to get any sword kills.

BPRs simply need to be the same between social and ranked, regardless of how they decide to nerf them.

The radar has been in 4, Reach, and 3 matchmaking at least (I haven't played 2 or CE online). 25 meters has always been the standard (at least since 3). With Sprint and SC, the range might even need to be bigger, not smaller or gone. I like the ability tracker, but you should not be able to walk unnoticed, and Stabilize should not show up. Does GP show?
Mythikron wrote:
  • Too powerful? Automatic weapons (in virtual and realistic situations) are made for razing things to the ground. The AR is the second-or-third least qualified weapon to be labeled OP. If it takes at least half a clip to kill a normally-shielded Spartan, it's not OP. Period.
  • Breakout (which is a competitive playlist) utilizes shotguns. Is that an insult to players' skill, too?
  • The only autos which promote lying in wait would be just as effective in an open battlefield (unless the other guy has a sniper or rocket, which would be insulting to the competitive player, right?)., except for bayonetted weapons. See SAW, AfD, Answer, R'sE.
  • With the same reasoning, Where's the satisfaction in getting a shotgun (or rocket or sniper or tank, etc., etc., etc.) kill when there's no skill involved? It would actually be very impressive to see a guy kill 2+ enemies with an AR without dying. See Point 1.
  • Every Halo has had pistol/BR/DMR+AR starts. CE, 2, 3, Reach, 4 (in a select number of playlists due to loadouts), and 5. Now, Wars and Wars 2 don't, but it wouldn't make any sense for them to. The most powerful starting auto (other than in Fiesta) was the H4 Suppressor, if you could hit all your shots.
  • Duh?
  • See #2. I would defend the current Splinter Grenades similarly. You are usually unable to tell what weapon an enemy is holding unless it's unusually large or funky-colored. You definitely can't tell it's a shotgun unless you saw them kill someone else with it. Splinters (and grenades in general) are very similar.
  • If they want to nerf the weapons in competitive but not in the rest, I think that making it a different variant is the only possibility. You can't give one particular weapon different damage depending on the game type.
Swords should not have a speed boost. The lunge is annoying when you are being killed by it, but it is almost necessary in order to get any sword kills.

BPRs simply need to be the same between social and ranked, regardless of how they decide to nerf them.

The radar has been in 4, Reach, and 3 matchmaking at least (I haven't played 2 or CE online). 25 meters has always been the standard (at least since 3). With Sprint and SC, the range might even need to be bigger, not smaller or gone. I like the ability tracker, but you should not be able to walk unnoticed, and Stabilize should not show up. Does GP show?
  • Everyone knows they made automatic weapons stronger in Halo 5. This (along many other changes) was to make the game more casual friendly. I'm not saying the AR or any auto is OP for the game in general, they've just never been a part of competitive Halo, ever. Why would you add them now that they are stronger? Casuals.
  • Breakout is a "ranked" playlists. When I say competitive I'm talking about HCS competitions, tournaments and events. The changes named in this thread by the OP are for the HCS, that includes TA only. And yes, anyone who enjoyed the old breakout thinks the new one is a joke. Many people bought the game for the original Breakout. I never enjoyed it, but I know some people do.
  • People tend to crouch around corners more with Autos because there is a "casual" radar in "competitive" settings. Sadly.
  • Sniper Kills are very rewarding, it takes skill (not as much as in previous Halos, again, Casuals), Rockets not so much, but it is a power weapon so it is about controlling it, not waiting 10-20 seconds for it to appear again. Tanks? Idk they still haven't added those to Competitive and I hope they never do... haha. If it takes more skill, it is more rewarding. Precision weapons > Autos in terms of skill.
  • You are completely missing the point. I don't care about ALL playlists starting weapon. Just competitive, that means Team Arena. You can start with a Hammer and one of those funny REQ Rockets from Warzone if you want, but not in competitive.
  • I added that point because the original person that replied said "The game will turn into a one weapon game again" just because they are removing AR starts from Competitive, so I named all the precision weapons in H5.
  • What do you mean you can't tell what weapon your opponent has? You can't tell when someone shoots with a BR vs a Magnum? You have to see the kill-feed to know that? Well, that comes with experience and awareness. That thing about not being able to tell when someone is walking around with a shotgun is a troll, right? Come on.
  • That's why they are removing Splinter Granades too. It is like carrying a mini rocket launcher in your pocket. Pros have been calling it the "get out of Jail card" because even when you are almost dead you can pop on of those babies out and live.
  • lets hope 343 makes a REQ variant or just keep the autos out of competitive, like previous Halos. I certainly don't want these changes to affect social.
I don't mind the sword except for its speed in CTF.

I don't mind BPR...

This comment about Radar is out of place. This thread is for competitive. Once again, Radar was never used in competitive Halo. It was ON for non competitive in all Halos.
Probably it should be bigger for social but for competitive it should be off, same as SC. SC is cancer.

Thanks for your opinion. Very well organized :)
I'm glad all of you "competitive" players are so happy. I'm a casual player, and if these changes go through all ranked playlists that just stinks! I know you will all tell me to go play social but that's not fair for 2 reasons: First, there are playlists that I like that are only available in ranked (team Slayer). Second, the matchmaking for social stinks because it's where all you "competitive" players go for a fun loving time and beat up on us "casuals" over and over....and over. Ranked is the only place I can get regularly even matches (even 343 themselves have admitted to this problem). I don't understand why there can't be a designated "HCS" (new MLG) playlist, like there has been in H2, H3, Reach, H4 and so on (you all keep referencing those games, so I will too. Why does Halo's premiere playlist, Team Arena, have to drag us "casuals" in with it's "pro" settings, even though it has veered further and further from 343's original vision for the game? TA should not be ONLY for "competitives"! Us "casuals" deserve a place to play in a fair environment too. Especially we make up a larger portion of the player base. We're just not the loudest, I guess. We're not on twitch or YouTube making videos about how everything needs to be like Halo 2. But we're the ones buying the game. Let's see if we still are when H6 comes out.
I'm glad all of you "competitive" players are so happy. I'm a casual player, and if these changes go through all ranked playlists that just stinks! I know you will all tell me to go play social but that's not fair for 2 reasons: First, there are playlists that I like that are only available in ranked (team Slayer). Second, the matchmaking for social stinks because it's where all you "competitive" players go for a fun loving time and beat up on us "casuals" over and over....and over. Ranked is the only place I can get regularly even matches (even 343 themselves have admitted to this problem). I don't understand why there can't be a designated "HCS" (new MLG) playlist, like there has been in H2, H3, Reach, H4 and so on (you all keep referencing those games, so I will too. Why does Halo's premiere playlist, Team Arena, have to drag us "casuals" in with it's "pro" settings, even though it has veered further and further from 343's original vision for the game? TA should not be ONLY for "competitives"! Us "casuals" deserve a place to play in a fair environment too. Especially we make up a larger portion of the player base. We're just not the loudest, I guess. We're not on twitch or YouTube making videos about how everything needs to be like Halo 2. But we're the ones buying the game. Let's see if we still are when H6 comes out.
This is just for HCS and that means Team Arena only. Do you even read what the OP said? They will test in in PG starting tomorrow and once they get some solid settings they will become the settings for the next HCS season. Chill, they are not changing all ranked playlists.

Edit: I agree on the HCS playlists. But that's what Team Arena is, the official HCS gamemodes.
I'm glad all of you "competitive" players are so happy. I'm a casual player, and if these changes go through all ranked playlists that just stinks! I know you will all tell me to go play social but that's not fair for 2 reasons: First, there are playlists that I like that are only available in ranked (team Slayer). Second, the matchmaking for social stinks because it's where all you "competitive" players go for a fun loving time and beat up on us "casuals" over and over....and over. Ranked is the only place I can get regularly even matches (even 343 themselves have admitted to this problem). I don't understand why there can't be a designated "HCS" (new MLG) playlist, like there has been in H2, H3, Reach, H4 and so on (you all keep referencing those games, so I will too. Why does Halo's premiere playlist, Team Arena, have to drag us "casuals" in with it's "pro" settings, even though it has veered further and further from 343's original vision for the game? TA should not be ONLY for "competitives"! Us "casuals" deserve a place to play in a fair environment too. Especially we make up a larger portion of the player base. We're just not the loudest, I guess. We're not on twitch or YouTube making videos about how everything needs to be like Halo 2. But we're the ones buying the game. Let's see if we still are when H6 comes out.
This is just for HCS and that means Team Arena only. Do you even read what the OP said? They will test in in PG starting tomorrow and once they get some solid settings they will become the settings for the next HCS season. Chill, they are not changing all ranked playlists.
Like I said, as I'm sure you read, we deserve to play Team Arena without being bound in the confines of "pro" settings. Don't change TA! We want to be able to play CTF and Strongholds under fair/ranked settings too. Make an HCS playlist for the "competitive" players.
I'm glad all of you "competitive" players are so happy. I'm a casual player, and if these changes go through all ranked playlists that just stinks! I know you will all tell me to go play social but that's not fair for 2 reasons: First, there are playlists that I like that are only available in ranked (team Slayer). Second, the matchmaking for social stinks because it's where all you "competitive" players go for a fun loving time and beat up on us "casuals" over and over....and over. Ranked is the only place I can get regularly even matches (even 343 themselves have admitted to this problem). I don't understand why there can't be a designated "HCS" (new MLG) playlist, like there has been in H2, H3, Reach, H4 and so on (you all keep referencing those games, so I will too. Why does Halo's premiere playlist, Team Arena, have to drag us "casuals" in with it's "pro" settings, even though it has veered further and further from 343's original vision for the game? TA should not be ONLY for "competitives"! Us "casuals" deserve a place to play in a fair environment too. Especially we make up a larger portion of the player base. We're just not the loudest, I guess. We're not on twitch or YouTube making videos about how everything needs to be like Halo 2. But we're the ones buying the game. Let's see if we still are when H6 comes out.
This is just for HCS and that means Team Arena only. Do you even read what the OP said? They will test in in PG starting tomorrow and once they get some solid settings they will become the settings for the next HCS season. Chill, they are not changing all ranked playlists.
Like I said, as I'm sure you read, we deserve to play Team Arena without being bound in the confines of "pro" settings. Don't change TA! We want to be able to play CTF and Strongholds under fair/ranked settings too. Make an HCS playlist for the "competitive" players.
You do understand that TA was from the beginning the HCS playlist . They change the settings for the HCS every season and that's why in TA and when they do it affects TA. That's how it works. That's why instead of having 2 splinter nades spawn together ( like it used too be around 6-8 months ago) they changed it to one. Stuff like that always happens. This time they are bringing new changes to HCS, so it might be more drastic for casuals that enjoy that playlist.
Instead of a rant you should've voiced your concerns in a more organized way. I read your entire post but they way you wrote it made me feel you were against this changes in general, not just for competitive.
So, now that I understand your point of view, I agree. There should be an HCS playlist for HCS settings and a TA playlist for old settings.The population will shrink really bad though...
I'm glad all of you "competitive" players are so happy. I'm a casual player, and if these changes go through all ranked playlists that just stinks! I know you will all tell me to go play social but that's not fair for 2 reasons: First, there are playlists that I like that are only available in ranked (team Slayer). Second, the matchmaking for social stinks because it's where all you "competitive" players go for a fun loving time and beat up on us "casuals" over and over....and over. Ranked is the only place I can get regularly even matches (even 343 themselves have admitted to this problem). I don't understand why there can't be a designated "HCS" (new MLG) playlist, like there has been in H2, H3, Reach, H4 and so on (you all keep referencing those games, so I will too. Why does Halo's premiere playlist, Team Arena, have to drag us "casuals" in with it's "pro" settings, even though it has veered further and further from 343's original vision for the game? TA should not be ONLY for "competitives"! Us "casuals" deserve a place to play in a fair environment too. Especially we make up a larger portion of the player base. We're just not the loudest, I guess. We're not on twitch or YouTube making videos about how everything needs to be like Halo 2. But we're the ones buying the game. Let's see if we still are when H6 comes out.
This is just for HCS and that means Team Arena only. Do you even read what the OP said? They will test in in PG starting tomorrow and once they get some solid settings they will become the settings for the next HCS season. Chill, they are not changing all ranked playlists.
Like I said, as I'm sure you read, we deserve to play Team Arena without being bound in the confines of "pro" settings. Don't change TA! We want to be able to play CTF and Strongholds under fair/ranked settings too. Make an HCS playlist for the "competitive" players.
You do understand that TA was from the beginning the HCS playlist . They change the settings for the HCS every season and that's why in TA and when they do it affects TA. That's how it works. That's why instead of having 2 splinter nades spawn together ( like it used too be around 6-8 months ago) they changed it to one. Stuff like that always happens. This time they are bringing new changes to HCS, so it might be more drastic for casuals that enjoy that playlist.
Instead of a rant you should've voiced your concerns in a more organized way. I read your entire post but they way you wrote it made me feel you were against this changes in general, not just for competitive.
So, now that I understand your point of view, I agree. There should be an HCS playlist for HCS settings and a TA playlist for old settings.The population will shrink really bad though...
Sorry, I'm a "casual" forum poster as well! Thanks for taking the time to understand what I was saying. I hope 343 does the same.
Mythikron wrote:
  • Too powerful? Automatic weapons (in virtual and realistic situations) are made for razing things to the ground. The AR is the second-or-third least qualified weapon to be labeled OP. If it takes at least half a clip to kill a normally-shielded Spartan, it's not OP. Period.
  • Breakout (which is a competitive playlist) utilizes shotguns. Is that an insult to players' skill, too?
  • The only autos which promote lying in wait would be just as effective in an open battlefield (unless the other guy has a sniper or rocket, which would be insulting to the competitive player, right?)., except for bayonetted weapons. See SAW, AfD, Answer, R'sE.
  • With the same reasoning, Where's the satisfaction in getting a shotgun (or rocket or sniper or tank, etc., etc., etc.) kill when there's no skill involved? It would actually be very impressive to see a guy kill 2+ enemies with an AR without dying. See Point 1.
  • Every Halo has had pistol/BR/DMR+AR starts. CE, 2, 3, Reach, 4 (in a select number of playlists due to loadouts), and 5. Now, Wars and Wars 2 don't, but it wouldn't make any sense for them to. The most powerful starting auto (other than in Fiesta) was the H4 Suppressor, if you could hit all your shots.
  • Duh?
  • See #2. I would defend the current Splinter Grenades similarly. You are usually unable to tell what weapon an enemy is holding unless it's unusually large or funky-colored. You definitely can't tell it's a shotgun unless you saw them kill someone else with it. Splinters (and grenades in general) are very similar.
  • If they want to nerf the weapons in competitive but not in the rest, I think that making it a different variant is the only possibility. You can't give one particular weapon different damage depending on the game type.
Swords should not have a speed boost. The lunge is annoying when you are being killed by it, but it is almost necessary in order to get any sword kills.

BPRs simply need to be the same between social and ranked, regardless of how they decide to nerf them.

The radar has been in 4, Reach, and 3 matchmaking at least (I haven't played 2 or CE online). 25 meters has always been the standard (at least since 3). With Sprint and SC, the range might even need to be bigger, not smaller or gone. I like the ability tracker, but you should not be able to walk unnoticed, and Stabilize should not show up. Does GP show?
  • Everyone knows they made automatic weapons stronger in Halo 5. This (along many other changes) was to make the game more casual friendly. I'm not saying the AR or any auto is OP for the game in general, they've just never been a part of competitive Halo, ever. Why would you add them now that they are stronger? Casuals.
  • Breakout is a "ranked" playlists. When I say competitive I'm talking about HCS competitions, tournaments and events. The changes named in this thread by the OP are for the HCS, that includes TA only. And yes, anyone who enjoyed the old breakout thinks the new one is a joke. Many people bought the game for the original Breakout. I never enjoyed it, but I know some people do.
  • People tend to crouch around corners more with Autos because there is a "casual" radar in "competitive" settings. Sadly.
  • Sniper Kills are very rewarding, it takes skill (not as much as in previous Halos, again, Casuals), Rockets not so much, but it is a power weapon so it is about controlling it, not waiting 10-20 seconds for it to appear again. Tanks? Idk they still haven't added those to Competitive and I hope they never do... haha. If it takes more skill, it is more rewarding. Precision weapons > Autos in terms of skill.
  • You are completely missing the point. I don't care about ALL playlists starting weapon. Just competitive, that means Team Arena. You can start with a Hammer and one of those funny REQ Rockets from Warzone if you want, but not in competitive.
  • I added that point because the original person that replied said "The game will turn into a one weapon game again" just because they are removing AR starts from Competitive, so I named all the precision weapons in H5.
  • What do you mean you can't tell what weapon your opponent has? You can't tell when someone shoots with a BR vs a Magnum? You have to see the kill-feed to know that? Well, that comes with experience and awareness. That thing about not being able to tell when someone is walking around with a shotgun is a troll, right? Come on.
  • That's why they are removing Splinter Granades too. It is like carrying a mini rocket launcher in your pocket. Pros have been calling it the "get out of Jail card" because even when you are almost dead you can pop on of those babies out and live.
  • lets hope 343 makes a REQ variant or just keep the autos out of competitive, like previous Halos. I certainly don't want these changes to affect social.
I don't mind the sword except for its speed in CTF.

I don't mind BPR...

This comment about Radar is out of place. This thread is for competitive. Once again, Radar was never used in competitive Halo. It was ON for non competitive in all Halos.
Probably it should be bigger for social but for competitive it should be off, same as SC. SC is cancer.

Thanks for your opinion. Very well organized :)
This makes more sense talking about HCS instead of standard ranked.
Quote:
  • What do you mean you can't tell what weapon your opponent has? You can't tell when someone shoots with a BR vs a Magnum? You have to see the kill-feed to know that? Well, that comes with experience and awareness. That thing about not being able to tell when someone is walking around with a shotgun is a troll, right? Come on.
I'm saying that if you run around a corner, or someone pops up from below, you can't usually tell what weapon you're opponent is holding until they fire it. Now, if I see a honkingly ginormous lazer, I know I just got binaried, or if they're holding a glowing blue sword, duh. But shotguns kinda look like ARs or DMRs or BRs when you run into another player.

I like SC as a concept, but the magnetism is OP. Sprint-punch? Sure! Human guided missile? Uh-uh.
This is the best thing to happen to Halo in a long time. I wouldn't even reintroduce the weapons. A lot of the update is things we have been asking for for a year and a half now. Good stuff!
Yes, yes, yes, yes YES!!
Best Arena update so far, I can't wait to play it.

Radar just makes the game play soooo boring and slow at a competitive level.
I remember during a pro league match, someone timed Royal 2 as crouching with shotgun for a full minute without moving at all.

Unless you're playing custom settings, there should never be a reason for a full 60 seconds of complete inactivity in a Halo game, let alone incentivize it through the game mechanics themselves.

This is Halo, I play it specifically for the fast-paced gameplay.
If I wanted to stare at a wall for 60 seconds straight, I'd play counter strike.

Note: I said fast gameplay, not chaotic/random. Those aren't the same thing, a lesson that games like Call of Duty never understood.
That's the beauty of competitive Halo: the ability to play fast but still be strategic.

If there's one thing that Arena has severely lacked, it's rewarding strategic plays.
Radar takes away that graceful bob & weave, that skillful art of flowing movement around the map, and replaces it with a neanderthal's cudgel.
Nothing flows right, it just forces you to play like a sissy.

Compared to proving grounds, I felt like a ghost against players who would otherwise be around the same rank in Arena.
These guys just don't have any sense of spacial contextual awareness. (now wikipedia that! There's a lot to it)
Radar made it so they don't need to be smart or aware, it just gives them all the information for free.
Without that free pass, they are like fish out of water.

I have no problem with modified radar though.. it may even be a bit better, not sure.
I mean for one, it just wouldn't make any sense for a spartan to not be able to at least track loud noises through the HUD...
but that's really more of a side-note, what's important is that sprint+thrust offer so much benefit for so little effort that it makes sense to be balanced with additional consequence.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 13