4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 13
umju wrote:
The best radar setting is no radar.
You need a radar for how quick this game is compared to other Halo's. Keep the old radar and once ARs are out it'll be much better.
All perfect but I really want the BR start back again, for the radar not interested me use the new proving ground radar or no . For the casual players the game had many playlists to play with AR start one of all become only Pistol etc. don't play or learn play with the new rules.
Those are great news. I think the energy sword is fine, because getting it top mid on truth is a pain in the -Yoink-. Just make it half the energy so you can get only 5 kills or less. Radar is key to this Halo. Cutting it out may cause new problems. The maps have too many angles to not have radar in the game. Look at older Halo maps and you'll see why radar was cut out. Simply because it was easier/possible to predict the enemy well. H5 maps have too many corners. But that's fine as long as the radar stays. No hate on your maps I like them with the sprtan abilities. If you put new maps in, no radar could work. We'll see. Just put some older maps into H5 like pit, sanctuary or others. There you will see how no radar works.
Anyways good job guys :) I'm excited for precision weapon battles <3
greetings from Germany :*
Is the update released today or next days?
EvH Shaggy wrote:
This is the best thing to happen to Halo in a long time. I wouldn't even reintroduce the weapons. A lot of the update is things we have been asking for for a year and a half now. Good stuff!
You would seriously ditch two of the most iconic weapons in video game history? Or just for HCS-type stuff?
If they're removing the AR this season, what weapon will replace it? The BR? That will automatically gravitate toward the BR, unless you're crazy good with magnum. SMG, SAW? STORM RIFLE?!?! (insert horrified face)
I'm glad all of you "competitive" players are so happy. I'm a casual player, and if these changes go through all ranked playlists that just stinks! I know you will all tell me to go play social but that's not fair for 2 reasons: First, there are playlists that I like that are only available in ranked (team Slayer). Second, the matchmaking for social stinks because it's where all you "competitive" players go for a fun loving time and beat up on us "casuals" over and over....and over. Ranked is the only place I can get regularly even matches (even 343 themselves have admitted to this problem). I don't understand why there can't be a designated "HCS" (new MLG) playlist, like there has been in H2, H3, Reach, H4 and so on (you all keep referencing those games, so I will too. Why does Halo's premiere playlist, Team Arena, have to drag us "casuals" in with it's "pro" settings, even though it has veered further and further from 343's original vision for the game? TA should not be ONLY for "competitives"! Us "casuals" deserve a place to play in a fair environment too. Especially we make up a larger portion of the player base. We're just not the loudest, I guess. We're not on twitch or YouTube making videos about how everything needs to be like Halo 2. But we're the ones buying the game. Let's see if we still are when H6 comes out.
The thing is those MLG playlist were never very popular. Their playlist numbers were always 85% smaller then the ranked playlist.
All perfect but I really want the BR start back again, for the radar not interested me use the new proving ground radar or no . For the casual players the game had many playlists to play with AR start one of all become only Pistol etc. don't play or learn play with the new rules.
Love how you say " don't play or learn to rules" we don't want to have to get yelled at by you tryhards in every match! stop trying to force us to play your stupid settings.

The BR is to OP. Actually go play BTB and go ask people about it. BR's as ruined BTB and when played in the beta it was universally agreed that BR starts would not work out well at all.
Edit: delete please.
Hey folks! I've been fortunate enough to have been included in some of the discussions around the settings changes, so I'll try and chime in a little. My main role isn't as an MP or sandbox designer, so I won't get as much into the technical details of how we solve issues, but I'll try and address your questions about the reasons behind our changes and our current plans. I've been involved in balance teams in the past, usually as a data guy, so I have some insights that may be helpful. I like when balance settings are driven by a combination of designers, community feedback, pro feedback, watching tournament matches themselves, and actual massive scale data and statistics. The reason for the settings changes are because several of these factors all pointed to the same concerns.

Here are some of my thoughts on the concerns some of you have already brought up.

Which Radar?
We want to get more feedback on the new settings with the Ability Tracker motion tracker before making a call on Radar. We have tried multiple motion tracker options internally with the new settings, and there is definitely a difference in how the game plays out with and without it. We want to see how the community, including the HCS players, feel first before making the call there.

As one example of why this isn’t a cut and dry decision, the higher-skilled players in our internal tests brought up the same concern some of you in this thread have, namely, that without an Ability Tracker, the use of Abilities becomes much less strategic. You can basically spam them to your heart’s content with little to no repercussions. This did make the games feel a bit less skillful than anticipated. But we’ll let you folks try for yourself.

Are you going to ruin the game for everyone else?
Definitely not. None of these changes are going to any other part of the game besides Proving Grounds for the time being. Not even the other Ranked playlists will get these changes until they have been properly vetted.

We will evaluate how these settings fit in across all of the different activities in Halo, and use them where they best fit. This includes even Team Arena. If we find these settings are amazing across the board, then they could migrate into Team Arena. We may also find that they do not fit in Team Arena, but are great for HCS. We’ll keep a close eye on this and plan accordingly.

But the Assault Rifle is great! Please don’t remove it from Playlist X! Also, please don’t nerf it, it works perfect as it is.
The only playlist that will not have the Assault Rifle for now is Proving Grounds, once the settings go in.

I can try and explain a little more on our thoughts around the AR, at least based on looking at data from millions of matches from the last two settings changes. These points are in addition to the feedback we have received, and our own watching of specific encounters. I’m just talking about analyzing massive amounts of data here, and not subjective opinions.
  • The data do not show that the AR is over-powered. It is not killing more than other weapons in its tier, and not above what we expect. It may feel over-powered at times, but, at least in the data, that’s more due to the points below than to any real balance issue. The data show the AR is well-balanced across the rest of the sandbox.
  • The data do show that the AR’s killing power went up after we reduced access to the SMG. This isn’t surprising because the SMG was one of the main counters to the AR at closer range. When we made the SMG less accessible, it became less likely to have a counter to an AR if you have dropped yours, so ARs are “winning” more gunfights at that range. So, ironically, the SMG change further emphasized the issues we now agree we are having with the AR.
  • The data do show that starting around the Diamond level, the effectiveness of the AR does not increase with skill. Correcting for skill shows that top players aren’t any more effective with the AR than a Diamond level player. Another way to say this is that the winner in a gunfight between two ARs above Diamond level is currently more about random luck than it is about skill. I think, for competitive play, we want the player with greater skill to win a given gunfight, without luck being too much of a factor. This is one of the primary data-driven reasons we are concerned about using the AR in competitive play.
  • For comparison, the effectiveness of the Pistol increases consistently with the skill of the player, so we feel the pistol is currently appropriate in competitive play.
Like Tashi said, we do want to try and get these weapons back into competitive play. To do that, we would aim (pun intended) for:
  • The AR to feel just as good as it does today everywhere else in the game
  • But change it enough that its effectiveness continues to increase as player skill increases. We want a superior player to be winning gunfights, not a lucky one.
I don’t think we want to nerf the AR to the ground and put it back in because, like you, we agree this would hurt other aspects of the game.

But I like how the splinter grenade allows area denial, etc.
So do we. But right now it is performing too far outside of that role. We would prefer a splinter that fulfills that role without being also used for unpredictable burst damage.

Does the pistol have enough ammo?
We are definitely aware of this concern. We are going to be observing this aspect closely as we evaluate whether the settings need additional tuning.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Please don't nerf it to halo 3 levels josh. the h3 AR was a pellet gun and just tickled people and was useless.
It's not gonna happen unless 343i decides to make a playlist using the Old School or Evolve custom game types, which will never happen.

Halo 5's BR is not the same BR as previous Halo games. It's RRR is much longer, has tighter spread, and better hit registration. This makes it so that the player starts off with what's basically a mini sniper rifle. This leads to stagnation, making vehicles useless, and other issues. The magnum is a utility weapon and is much more closer to the old BRs than Halo 5's actual BR.

These same problems with the BR in standard Arena are so bad that they extend to BTB. The playlist needs magnum starts if it wants to be plays properly.

This post has been hidden.

Love how you say " don't play or learn to rules" we don't want to have to get yelled at by you tryhards in every match! stop trying to force us to play your stupid settings.

The BR is to OP. Actually go play BTB and go ask people about it. BR's as ruined BTB and when played in the beta it was universally agreed that BR starts would not work out well at all.
i don't care about you I only want one tryhard playlist only 1 from 19. Why are you so egoist and this one playlist must become with what you prefer???!!!

i don't care about you I only want one tryhard playlist only 1 from 19. Why are you so egoist and this one playlist must become with what you prefer???!!!
Because then you ask for more and more. You'll keep pushing until every playlist is cater to what you want.
ZaedynFel wrote:
It looks a lot like you are comparing the AR to other automatics when deciding whether it is OP or not.
Where do AR vs Pistol fights level out and at what range? That's the question that matters. Those are the 2 starting weapons, they need to be balanced to each other first and foremost. other than extreme close range (and even then if someone has godlike pistol aim) the AR shouldn't be beating the magnum provided both players start firing at each other at the same time and have the same accuracy... but it does. A lot.
2 weapons shouldn't be doing comparable damage when one is significantly easier to use (AR) than the other (magnum). This might be a tall order but is it possible to run stats on players that engage at different ranges at the same time, one with the AR and the other with the Magnum? I doubt we track some of that, but its worth an ask i suppose :)
ZaedynFel wrote:
But the Assault Rifle is great! Please don’t remove it from Playlist X! Also, please don’t nerf it, it works perfect as it is.The only playlist that will not have the Assault Rifle for now is Proving Grounds, once the settings go in.
Please don't nerf it to halo 3 levels josh. the h3 AR was a pellet gun and just tickled people and was useless.
As someone who truly believes that the AR is OP, i still don't want it nerfed into the ground. 343 for sure doesn't want that either, so i dont think you need to worry about that. H2 and H3 had -Yoink- human automatics and I don't want to go back to that either. it DOES need an adjustment though. Its much too easy to use considering how much damage it puts out and outclasses the more difficult to use Magnum in too many situations even when the magnum user has good accuracy. I give H4 a lot of crap but the AR in that game (post Turbo update) was about right. Removing headshot multipliers from ALL automatics would be a good first step imo.
It's not gonna happen unless 343i decides to make a playlist using the Old School or Evolve custom game types, which will never happen.

Halo 5's BR is not the same BR as previous Halo games. It's RRR is much longer, has tighter spread, and better hit registration. This makes it so that the player starts off with what's basically a mini sniper rifle. This leads to stagnation, making vehicles useless, and other issues. The magnum is a utility weapon and is much more closer to the old BRs than Halo 5's actual BR.

These same problems with the BR in standard Arena are so bad that they extend to BTB. The playlist needs magnum starts if it wants to be plays properly.
i agree but i test with friends 4v4 matches with BR and all we agree that its perfect if using a BR start its no reason to have many weapons on maps and its no so op, in BTB its very different than Arena but i am really ok with magnum the same as BR.

Because then you ask for more and more. You'll keep pushing until every playlist is cater to what you want.
No i only want this one.
Apoll0 wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
It looks a lot like you are comparing the AR to other automatics when deciding whether it is OP or not.
Where do AR vs Pistol fights level out and at what range? That's the question that matters. Those are the 2 starting weapons, they need to be balanced to each other first and foremost. other than extreme close range (and even then if someone has godlike pistol aim) the AR shouldn't be beating the magnum provided both players start firing at each other at the same time and have the same accuracy... but it does. A lot.
2 weapons shouldn't be doing comparable damage when one is significantly easier to use (AR) than the other (magnum). This might be a tall order but is it possible to run stats on players that engage at different ranges at the same time, one with the AR and the other with the Magnum? I doubt we track some of that, but its worth an ask i suppose :)
If you have a pistol out in super close range the pistol should lose! a full auto should never lose in super close combat.

No i only want this one.
You say you want one but in reality you want more.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 13