Forums / Community / Halo Championship Series

Different game types in comp. rotation!

OP Kataclismik

I was thinking, is it time to switch "Team Slayer" out for a different game mode? My rationale on it was, we always had it in and it's a fantastic game mode but compared to the other modes we have in the game it feels kinda surface level. The other modes require an overlay of strats along with the base TS strat, For TS its more or less spawn manipulation, get picks, occasional OE for power ups/weapons. In obj. it's all that plus pulling flag with routes or grabbing stronghold and trying to grab another while holding power positions. I was wondering if TS should be subbed out for like King of the Hill or Demolition or something else. I'm not saying "hey let's add in Break Out!" even though I think that it's deserving of its own type of tournaments, but something that just feels different and requires that same BIG BRAIN type of play.
Once you get all the powerups/weapons it turns into a snowball effect in competative play, need to include more game modes where it is possible to make a comeback.
Kavosis wrote:
Once you get all the powerups/weapons it turns into a snowball effect in competative play, need to include more game modes where it is possible to make a comeback.
I agree to a degree it definitely turns into a snowball as you said but I think that's where it falls on the skill level and strategy per team really starts to shine. Coming up with ways to counter those disadvantages and trying to regain footing in that struggle is a rewarding feeling. Also, on the other hand, getting those power-ups through strats and good play is rewarding as well. I think how a game goes should be an overall skill and preparedness dependant struggle. However, having more options or urility to counter it would definitely make gameplay even wilder and exciting!
Kavosis wrote:
I agree to a degree it definitely turns into a snowball as you said but I think that's where it falls on the skill level and strategy per team really starts to shine. Coming up with ways to counter those disadvantages and trying to regain footing in that struggle is a rewarding feeling. Also, on the other hand, getting those power-ups through strats and good play is rewarding as well. I think how a game goes should be an overall skill and preparedness dependant struggle. However, having more options or urility to counter it would definitely make gameplay even wilder and exciting!
Maybe variating power up and power weapon cycle locations during the game? This could keep aspects of map control alive where players and teams are drawn into more vulnerable or controlled situations based off teamwork.

For example, imagine a Slayer match where a Sniper Rifle initially spawns at X but during the next 3:00 cycle, spawns at Y and then the next 3:00 cycle spawns back at X (heck could even be Z, if the map allows for it).
Gametypes settle into a few key principles for ARENA gameplay in any form of team competition whether it be sports or esports.
  • General Elimination
  • Attack & Defend
  • Zoning
  • Asset Denial
These carry across the whole field of play. The critical analysis is doing "trade-ins" which have more than one gametype that satisfies the categories and during the seasons mix and match the recipe.

For example,
  • "Capture the Flag" and "Assault" both satisfy the category of a Attack & Defend gametype but have wildly different approaches one is hit and run esque whilst the other is a secure and arm.
  • "Extraction" and "Oddball" both satisfy the category of a Asset Denial gametype but have wildly different gameplay aspects where both take considerations from zoning aspects and controlling areas of the map for a temporary amount of time.
Imagine one season we had "Capture the Flag" and the next we had "Assault". Thus making the recipe modified and fresh enough for gameplay but not too unfamiliar to experienced and new players giving the fundamentals continual purpose.