Forums / Community / Halo Championship Series

Halo: Infinite Skill Gap and More...

OP Syxnrgy

So with the tenure of Halo 5: Guardians passing along, I would like to suggest a viewpoint for competitive settings going forward and strive to narrow down what Halo can do to increase the skill gap further...

In this author's opinion, the game should feature two main contingents to create a sustainable mechanical skill gap that is unlike any previous Halo:
  1. Simplified advanced movement - Think what is featured in Halo 5: Guardians HCS settings. Movement that creates understanding of the maps nuances like no other, decisions to be positionally faster, increase living, promote speed, reduce timing, promote aggression, able to be punished if choke occurs, introductory abilities to allow beginners a place to start.
  2. Advanced gun skill - Think what is featured during the golden age of Halo 2. Button combinations like BXR, BXB, Double shot and Quad shots.
These two button glitches and combinations would create such a massive mechanical skill gap based around timing commands and consistency.

Outside of this a few things also need to be targeted to really take the game to the next level:
  • The maps overall would need to take a direct approach to look at previously balanced competitive maps and if necessary omage classic retro maps like what occurred with Truth and Refuge. Also on this note, when creating a map have a direct target in mind about
  • Weapons uniqueness, would like to see a few of the weaponry return to projectile weaponry but also some stay as hitscan, this would be under the discretion of skill.
  • Xbox Live should feature solely dedicated server infrastructure where even in custom games it still occurs during Xbox Live play. The option to select Peer2Peer (or LAN support) would be available via a server selection option, which does support online play but is less consistent. Reasoning for this is that overall consistency of dedicated servers in comparison to players NAT types, internet types etc.
  • Population management; creating a healthy lifespan for Halo: Infinite and diluting populations by reducing the amount of needless playlists.
  • Connection settings; ability to see connection to server and what is the server currently being used via numerical data (ie not green bar, ~40ms).
Love the enthusiasm but I think we'll see the heat death of the universe before 343 ever adds button combos into a Halo game. Just not their style.
Love the enthusiasm but I think we'll see the what death of the universe before 343 ever adds button combos into a Halo game. Just not their style.
Lol not wrong.
I completely agree with you on this post. While I do doubt there will be button combos in any sense, some unique weapon skill would be nice.

What I believe 343 should have in mind is that the game should be easy enough for anyone to pick up and have fun but hard enough to master. I feel like the big problem with H5 was that EVERYTHING was too easy. I didn't see any proper skill curve everything was just unbalanced. As a big fan of the older Halos I felt so out of place with it. The movement and flow of the games were just not what I expected of Halo nor did the weapons. I was being easily killed across the map with someone using an AR.
I completely agree with you on this post. While I do doubt there will be button combos in any sense, some unique weapon skill would be nice.

What I believe 343 should have in mind is that the game should be easy enough for anyone to pick up and have fun but hard enough to master. I feel like the big problem with H5 was that EVERYTHING was too easy. I didn't see any proper skill curve everything was just unbalanced. As a big fan of the older Halos I felt so out of place with it. The movement and flow of the games were just not what I expected of Halo nor did the weapons. I was being easily killed across the map with someone using an AR.
Have you even played enough Halo 5 to comment... There is a skill gap more toward movement, positioning and map knowledge. The Assault Rifle has been nerfed heavily as well as other points.
Imagine if button combos came back...
If we're talking about animation cancelling combos that directly provide a particular weapon the ability to become grossly overpowered (at least with regards to its particular combat role) then... no. While those types of mechanic combos certainly add an obvious skill-gap to the game it also creates a negative impact on the game's sandbox balance; in effect, it can cheapen it to the point where many "other" weapons can become overshadowed and pointless.

With that said, I'm not completely against some animation canceling (via mechanic combos) being included. In fact, I think canceling certain animations can be important while remaining authentic and immersive. Canceling out of a mechanic that was either unintended or because a player's situation immediately calls for some other action is fairly realistic. Also, canceling out of the remainder of an animation after the mechanic (animation-wise) has achieved its purpose and goal (visually) can allow a player to act a bit quicker than what's considered generally normal which allows some moderate separation between players. I think some of these types are okay depending on what they affect and how much so, but in any case I'm not in favor of them providing a massive time saving advantage and as I mentioned earlier I'm not okay with it granting a big advantage toward weapon lethality. In other words, I think it needs to be kept, more or less, as a minor type of skill-gap technique. Something that more advanced players can build into their general repertoire of advanced capabilities to gain a slight tactical advantage over the general playing field without titling the field too considerably. I think Halo 5 did a pretty good job at this.

Now, if we're instead talking about general mechanic combos that relate to more advanced mobility tactics then I'm often completely behind those.

Personally, I hope we see these types of mechanic combos return in some form...
eLantern wrote:
If we're talking about animation cancelling combos that directly provide a particular weapon the ability to become grossly overpowered (at least with regards to its particular combat role) then... no. While those types of mechanic combos certainly add an obvious skill-gap to the game it also creates a negative impact on the game's sandbox balance; in effect, it can cheapen it to the point where many "other" weapons can become fairly pointless.

With that said, I'm not completely against some animation canceling (via mechanic combos) being included. In fact, I think canceling certain animations can be important while remaining authentic and immersive. Canceling out of a mechanic that was either unintended or because a player's situation immediately calls for some other action is fairly realistic. Also, canceling out of the remainder of an animation after the mechanic has achieved its purpose and goal can allow a player to act quicker than what's considered generally normal. I think some of these types are okay depending on what they affect, but in any case I'm not in favor of them providing a massive time saving advantage and as I mentioned earlier I'm not okay with it granting a big advantage toward weapon lethality. In other words, I think it needs to be kept, more or less, as a minor type of skill-gap technique. Something that more advanced players can build into their general repertoire of advanced capabilities to gain a slight tactical advantage over the general playing field without titling the field too considerably. I think Halo5 did a pretty good job at this.

Now, if we're instead talking about general mechanic combos that relate to more advanced mobility tactics then I'm often completely behind those.

Hit the nail on the head. :)
Syxnrgy wrote:
eLantern wrote:
If we're talking about animation cancelling combos that directly provide a particular weapon the ability to become grossly overpowered (at least with regards to its particular combat role) then... no. While those types of mechanic combos certainly add an obvious skill-gap to the game it also creates a negative impact on the game's sandbox balance; in effect, it can cheapen it to the point where many "other" weapons can become fairly pointless.

With that said, I'm not completely against some animation canceling (via mechanic combos) being included. In fact, I think canceling certain animations can be important while remaining authentic and immersive. Canceling out of a mechanic that was either unintended or because a player's situation immediately calls for some other action is fairly realistic. Also, canceling out of the remainder of an animation after the mechanic has achieved its purpose and goal can allow a player to act quicker than what's considered generally normal. I think some of these types are okay depending on what they affect, but in any case I'm not in favor of them providing a massive time saving advantage and as I mentioned earlier I'm not okay with it granting a big advantage toward weapon lethality. In other words, I think it needs to be kept, more or less, as a minor type of skill-gap technique. Something that more advanced players can build into their general repertoire of advanced capabilities to gain a slight tactical advantage over the general playing field without titling the field too considerably. I think Halo5 did a pretty good job at this.

Sorry I'm a Halo 2 fan, I do like these techniques/jumps but, most of them are out if Infinite goes classic. All that will be left is spring jumps, flag juggling, and stealth grabs.
<p></p>
Syxnrgy wrote:
eLantern wrote:
Sorry I'm a Halo 2 fan, I do like these techniques/jumps but, most of them are out if Infinite goes classic. All that will be left is spring jumps, flag juggling, and stealth grabs.
I really hope Infinite doesn't go pure classic. I think it'd be a huge mistake.

If they want to limit certain playlists to pure classic, or a type of modified form of classic, then cool. But, they really ought to build off of the foundation laid forth with Halo 5.

In my opinion, I think the implementation of the sprint mechanic within Halo 5: Guardians was quite excellent. But with that said, I do hope that Infinite provides an HCS geared Arena playlist or two (Team Arena & FFA for starters) that are fully tailored for that particular environment and perhaps that can include the lack of a sprint mechanic. With that said, I hope most of the remaining Arena playlists, both ranked & social, incorporate what I'd refer to as the "standard" game-play formula that's basically a refinement on the foundation provided by Halo 5 minus the Ground Pound (GP) and Spartan Charge (SC) abilities.

I believe a select group of maps (~7) would need to be specifically tailored for the particular HCS settings that eventually get settled on. The HCS branch of 343i, with assistance from the competitive community, should have a lot of influence on the general experience of Halo's eSports environment. Making some choices regarding those particular settings relating to: the sandbox items, loadouts, spawn times, basic movement speed (BMS), jump height, (lack of) Sprint, Clamber, Slide, Boost, Radar, and Stabilize. In my opinion, this is where, and how, a potential competitive no-sprint playlist and perhaps other "no ______ ability" aspects should primarily fit into Infinite; although, future rotational playlists could also offer some custom-tailored offerings too.

As I said, the "standard" list of abilities should basically be a refinement of Halo 5's abilities minus the GP and SC abilities. This means, Sprint, Clamber, Slide, Boost, and Stabilize all return with minor refinements. By the way, I'd love to see the Stabilize mechanic become accessible without requiring the active use of Smart-Link. Just overlap the Sprint mechanic with the Stabilize mechanic. In other words, (when the button is pressed) if your character is grounded you'll sprint and if your character is airborne you'll stabilize. I'd also wouldn't mind seeing the default radar become a combination between the motion and abilities tracker. By that I mean the radar should feature an inner radius that acts like the traditional motion tracker while the outer diameter functions like the abilities tracker. The inner diameter should be ~15 meters and track everything the abilities tracker does plus all BMS above crouch-walking speed. The outer diameter of the radar should go out to ~25 meters and only track gun fire and anything that requires use of the armor's thrusters. This would include sprinting since it technically enacts a mildly steady (visually-speaking) use of the armor's thrusters without actually depleting its stored energy. Same thing for the stabilize mechanic. Per the "standard" list of abilities only the Boost mechanic depletes the armor's stored energy.

I'd love to see an expansion on the Warzone environment. And it's within this particular environment that I think the more intricate Spartan Abilities could be re-incorporated such as a refined GP, a tweaked SC, and a new concept related to the armor's boots essentially providing a double-jump. Basically, they offer additional mechanism and game-play depth, but are (more or less) regulated to this particular environment. Also, I'd love to see a more socially oriented point-based scoring system (similar to Halo 4's) used within this environment as it's capable of capturing and factoring for an assortment of diverse game-play contributions. This can be much more inclusive, socially speaking, than a strict objective scoring system which remains better for the Arena environments.

In regards to the more intricate Spartan Abilities, none should require a new button mechanic as they ought to piggyback off of the existing button mechanisms. For instance:
  • Ground Pound is activated by holding the melee button while in the air.
  • Spartan Charge is activated by pressing the melee button while in a sprint.
  • Double Jump is activated by pressing the jump button while in the air. It would essentially provide a minor elevation boost from mid-air as long as the player isn't orientated next to and facing a clamber-able edge; otherwise, the clamber mechanic could take precedence.
This manages to keep these more intricate abilities in the game, but out of the general arena environment. This also means that they can still exist within the campaign as well as be used for custom mini-game or Action Sack modes.

I also wouldn't mind seeing deloyable equipment return in some fashion too with the Up D-Pad being the means to temporarily replace the default grenade equipment with a deployable piece of equipment. In other words, the grenade (throw button) mechanic is now temporarily used for deploying the equipment item instead of a grenade; though, once used the button automatically reverts back to the previously selected grenade type. This would allow Infinite to bring back the Bubble Shield, Regen Field, Power Drain, Grav Lift, Trip Mine, Radar Jammer, Solar Flare, and Deployable Cover. Plus, it could also include an Auto Sentry & Hologram as deployable equipment too. These items could be primarily restricted to the Warzone environment, but maybe a few of them could also find their way into select arena playlists too.

By this means, Infinite would be provided with 3 levels of game-play experience: (1) a focus on competitive traditionalists who hearken for the so-called classic experience or something more similar to it, (2) those of us who appreciate the arena environment featuring a much more robust mobility experience that's just tailored down a bit from Halo 5, and (3) an environment beyond the Arena that provides access to the full gamut of abilities and items within the title.

As I mentioned previously this also provides the custom game's section of Infinite a ton of variety and depth to create whatever someone may personally desire game-play wise. Plus, by not limiting Infinite to a so-called "classic" only style of play there remains plenty of interest to continue playing the MCC which has had a lot of time invested into it.

EDITED
  • Movement: Simplified movement would be nice. At least slow it down a bit. Halo 1 - 3 were big on power positions and almost a "thinking man's" game. In Halo 5, power positions are certainly a thing, but it's much more a movement- and rotation-based game than a chess match. Simplifying the movement also helps get back to the, "easy to learn, difficult to master" element that makes Halo appeal to casual and competitive players alike. One thing I've realized from the updates on playlist popularity, is that the casual community is probably the single largest portion of the community and they should have an enjoyable experience.
  • Button Combos: I am not on board with button glitches. I'm all for skill gaps, but exploitable glitches should not be part of the game. To me, there's a fundamental difference between someone who can maximize the potential of the Spartan Abilities (and other developer balanced aspects of the game) and glitches. Exploits are signs of an unfinished game, in my opinion.
  • Maps: Brining back some throwback maps sounds great, especially if movement is simplified. Halo 5's maps are big on verticality is cool, but dependent in part on Spartan Abilities to get around quickly. We have so many great maps in Halo's history, I won't complain about playing Lockout 3.0.
  • Projectile vs. Hitscan: I'm pretty torn on this. I think for consistency hitscan makes sense, but I do see the pros of projectile. Especially since projectile cuts down on cross-mapping which contributes to some less-than-exciting gameplay.
  • LAN Support: Definitely need LAN support. I cannot believe this wasn't a thing out of the gate in Halo 5. I'm sure there's a reason as 343 wants to make Halo a popular esport, but I remember hooking up Xboxes for Halo 2 and Halo 3 in friend's basements with no issues. The crashes and resets at major events is just not acceptable for a premier esport title.
  • Online Quality of Life: Yeah, I'm not a fan of selecting "Balanced" the playing with kids who are rubberbanding all over the place. With a healthy population, max ping settings etc. would be awesome.
  • Playlists and Population: I say bring on the playlists. In a percect world we have the following:
Ranked
  • FFA
  • Doubles
  • Slayer
  • Team Arena (HCS, competitive settings)
Social
  • Social Slayer
  • BTB
  • Infection
  • Action Sack
  • Grifball
  • SWAT
  • Elimination/Breakout
Quote:
  • Playlists and Population: I say bring on the playlists. In a percect world we have the following:
Ranked
  • FFA
  • Doubles
  • Slayer
Social
  • Social Slayer
  • BTB
  • Infection
  • Action Sack
  • Grifball
  • SWAT
  • Elimination/Breakout
In a perfect world we have the following:

Ranked Arena - Re-join enabled
  • [HCS] FFA (6-Player) - HCS settings
  • [HCS] Team Arena (4v4; mix) - HCS settings + modes: Slayer, Strongholds, Oddball, & CTF
  • H2H (1v1)
  • Doubles (2v2; mix) - modes: Slayer & Roaming Kings
  • SWAT (4v4)
  • Slayer (4v4)
  • Squad Battle (6v6; mix) - vehicular combat + modes: Slayer, CTF, Neutral Bomb, & Strongholds
Social Arena - Limited JiP
  • Quick Play (4v4) - limited maps w/ 2-player fire-team cap.
  • Shotty Snips (5v5)
  • Super Fiesta Slayer (5v5; mix) - modes: Super Fiesta, Covenant Fiesta, Forerunner Fiesta, UNSC Fiesta, Explosive Fiesta, Melee Fiesta, Fiesta SWAT
  • Elimination (4v4; limited-life round-based mix) - modes: Breakout Extraction & Extermination
  • Grifball (4v4; round-based)
  • *Featured* (bi-weekly rotational)
Warzone - Limited JiP; use of Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, + more
    • BTB (8v8; PvP mix or rotation) - Heavies, Fiesta Crazy King, Fiesta Ball, Regicide, Castle Wars, Lightening Flag, Ricochet, Roaming Kings, & Dominion
    • Incursion (6v6; PvP; 1-sided round-based mix) - One Bomb, Conversion, Landgrab, VIP, etc.
    • Action Sack (8-Player; PvP mix) - Rumble Pit, Multi-Team, Gun Game, Paintball, etc.
    • Infection (12-Player; PvP & maybe PvE w/ AI flood forms; REQs?)
    • War (12v12; PvP & PvE; REQs)
    • Firefight Zone (8-Player; PvE; REQs)
    • *Featured* (weekend rotational?)
    • Firefight Survival (4-Player; PvE; limited lives flood survival mix) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Ops title or DLC?
    • Hell Jumper (48-Player; PvP & PvE; BR; flood storm extraction) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Ops title or DLC?
    Customs Browser - Drop-in/out JiP
    eLantern wrote:
    Quote:
    Ranked
    • FFA
    • Doubles
    • Slayer
    Social
    • Social Slayer
    • BTB
    • Infection
    • Action Sack
    • Grifball
    • SWAT
    • Elimination/Breakout
    In a percect world we have the following:

• [HCS] FFA (6-Player) - no sprint + other HCS settings
    • [HCS] Team Arena (4v4) - no sprint + other HCS settings
    • Doubles (2v2) - no sprint? mix?
    • SWAT (4v4) - no sprint? mix?
    • Slayer (4v4)
    • Squad Battle (6v6)
    • Quick Play (5v5; Social Slayer w/ fire-team cap)
    • Shotty Snips (5v5)
    • Fiesta/Action Sack (10-Player mix)
    • Elimination (4v4; round-based mix)
    • *Featured* (rotational)
    Warzone - Limited JiP; use of Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, +
    • BTB (8v8; PvP mix)
    • Classic Firefight (4-Player; PvE; flood survival mix) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Op title?
    • Infection (12-Player; PvP & PvE; w/ AI flood forms)
    • Assault/Invasion (6v6; PvP; round based mix)
    • Hell Jumper (48-Player; BR; extraction from flood storm) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Op title?
    Except this day and age gaming populations arent that sustainable...
    Syxnrgy wrote:
    eLantern wrote:
    Quote:

• [HCS] FFA (6-Player) - HCS settings
    • [HCS] Team Arena (4v4; mix) - HCS settings + modes: Slayer, Strongholds, Oddball, & CTF
    • H2H (1v1)
    • Doubles (2v2; mix) - modes: Slayer & Roaming Kings
    • SWAT (4v4)
    • Slayer (4v4)
    • Squad Battle (6v6; mix) - vehicular combat + modes: Slayer, CTF, Neutral Bomb, & Strongholds
    • Quick Play (4v4) - limited maps w/ 2-player fire-team cap.
    • Shotty Snips (5v5)
    • Super Fiesta Slayer (5v5; mix) - modes: Super Fiesta, Covenant Fiesta, Forerunner Fiesta, UNSC Fiesta, Explosive Fiesta, Melee Fiesta, Fiesta SWAT
    • Elimination (4v4; limited-life round-based mix) - modes: Breakout Extraction & Extermination
    Warzone - Limited JiP; use of Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, + more
      • BTB (8v8; PvP mix or rotation) - Heavies, Fiesta Crazy King, Fiesta Ball, Regicide, Castle Wars, Lightening Flag, Ricochet, Roaming Kings, & Dominion
      • Incursion (6v6; PvP; 1-sided round-based mix) - One Bomb, Conversion, Landgrab, VIP, etc.
      • Action Sack (8-Player; PvP mix) - Rumble Pit, Multi-Team, Gun Game, Paintball, etc.
      • Infection (12-Player; PvP & maybe PvE w/ AI flood forms; REQs?)
      • Firefight Survival (4-Player; PvE; limited lives flood survival mix) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Ops title or DLC?
      • Hell Jumper (48-Player; PvP & PvE; BR; flood storm extraction) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Ops title or DLC?
      You condense when forced to over time, but you release the title with all proverbial bases covered on the playlist experience side. In other words, you appease and incentivize as many people (and sub-communities of Halo) as possible (within reason). You want everyone to find reasons to invest their time with the title. And that’s helped by offering an assortment of experiences that may attract a variety of interests from the get go.

Anyways, the mission statement for the Sustain team efforts right-off the block should be (1) prioritize an assortment of playlist experiences at launch. (2) to analyze playlist activity across the full spectrum. (3) leave the foundational core experiences in place always and cater to them. Even against mid & late life-cycle popularity dynamics. (4) prioritize an incentive to play the core experiences. This can be achieved or helped by XP & RP payouts; plus, perhaps challenges. And (5) innovate new featured rotational experiences going forward. Feature community content. If something proves popular find a way to make it more accessible, but not at the cost of essential experiences (more or less Tier 1 & 2).

Tier 1:
      • (Team Infantry Arena) Slayer
      • (Team Infantry Arena) Objectives
      • (Team Vehicular Combat) Slayer
      • (Team Vehicular Combat) Objectives
      • (Team) Doubles
      • (FFA) Lone Wolves
      • (FFA) Infection
      Tier 2:
      • (Ranked) HCS - tourney setup within online ranked. overlaps w/ Arena & FFA.
      • (Ranked) SWAT - hardcore mode. low TTK. no radar or shields.
      • (Ranked) Squad Battle &/or (Social) BTB - overlaps w/ vehicular combat. mixed modes.
      • (Social) Fiesta - w/ a deep sandbox otherwise it drops to a lower tier. random sandbox access & availability.
      • (Social) Quick Play - slayer training grounds. perhaps a Quick Play playlist isn't as necessary if AI bots get included for custom games.
      • (Ranked & Social) CTF - multi-flag. select social variants: Lightening Flag, Castle Wars, & Meta Raid.
      Tier 3:
      • (Social &/or Ranked) Snipers - I lean Shotty Snips only, but that's just me.
      • Warzone PvP & PvE environments - must be customizable. maybe limited Forge. includes 12v12 war.
      • PvE environments - IMO it belongs in the Warzone environment & Customs. completely Forge-able. Script-able AI bots. includes Firefight. perhaps worthy of Tier 2.
      • (Social & Ranked) Territories - Strongholds/3-Plot, a new Dominion variant, & Landgrab.
      • (Social & maybe Ranked) Bomb - Neutral Bomb, Ricochet, Grifball, One Bomb Assault
      • (Ranked &/or Social) Oddball
      • (Ranked &/or Social) KotH - Roaming Kings, Diminishing Kings, Crazy King
      • (Ranked &/or Social) Extraction - 1-site, multi-site, site progression.
      Tier 4:
      • (Social &/or Ranked) Elimination - limited life round-based modes.
      • (Social) Assault/Invade - 1-sided round-based modes.
      • (Social) Action Sack - should include/cover (FFA) Rumble Pit, Multi-Team, & team mini-games.
      • (Social/Ranked) Anniversary - a modernized throwback experience. start as a rotational feature as it allows for some innovation. use the Forge community.
      • (Social) Regicide
      • (Social) Gun Game - basically a Rumble Pit mode
      • (Ranked &/or Social) Cage Match/Head-to-Head
      • (Ranked or Social) Grifball
      Tier 5:
      • (Social) Race - excellent for customs. must immediately despawn vehicles and auto-respawn players onto vehicles.
      • (Social) Headhunters - just a personal desire, but I'd like to see it revamped into more of a Kill Confirm type mode.
      • etc.
      I imagine one of the earliest playlists to require condensing might be Grifball, but when it does it can simply turn into a second social Rotational Featured playlist slot (offset by a week from the other) when that need arises.
      eLantern wrote:
      Syxnrgy wrote:
      eLantern wrote:
      Quote:
      Ranked
      • FFA
      • Doubles
      • Slayer
      Social
      • Social Slayer
      • BTB
      • Infection
      • Action Sack
      • Grifball
      • SWAT
      • Elimination/Breakout

• [HCS] FFA (6-Player) - no sprint + other HCS settings
      • [HCS] Team Arena (4v4; mixed) - no sprint + other HCS settings + modes like Slayer, Strongholds, Oddball, & CTF
      • Doubles (2v2; mixed?) - no sprint? + other HCS settings? Slayer & 1-Site Extraction?
      • SWAT (4v4) - no sprint?
      • Slayer (4v4)
      • Squad Battle (6v6) - vehicular combat; Slayer, CTF, Neutral Bomb, Strongholds, & maybe Roaming Kings
      • Quick Play (5v5) - Social Slayer w/ fire-team cap.
      • Shotty Snips (5v5)
      • Super Fiesta Skirmish (5v5; mix)
      • Elimination (4v4; round-based mix) - Breakout Extraction & Extermination
      • *Featured* (rotational)
      Warzone - Limited JiP; use of Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, +
      • BTB (8v8; PvP mix or rotation) - Heavies, Regicide, Castle Wars, Lightening Flag, Ricochet, & Dominion
      • Assault/Invade (6v6; PvP; 1-sided round-based mix) - One Bomb, Conversion, Landgrab/Territories, VIP, etc.
      • Action Sack (8-Player mix) - Rumble Pit, Multi-Team, Gun Game, Crazy King, Paintball, etc.
      • Infection (12-Player; PvP & PvE; w/ AI flood forms)
      • Classic Firefight (4-Player; PvE; flood survival mix) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Ops DLC title?
      • Hell Jumper (48-Player; BR; extraction from flood storm) - spin-off ODST or Spartan Op DLC title?
      You condense when forced to over time, but you release the title with all proverbial bases covered on the playlist experience side. In other words, you appease and incentivize as many people (and sub-communities of Halo) as possible (within reason). You want everyone to find reasons to invest their time with the title. And that’s helped by offering an assortment of experiences that may attract a variety of interests from the get go.

Anyways, the mission statement for the Sustain team efforts right-off the block should be (1) to analyze playlist activity across the full spectrum. (2) prioritize an assortment of playlist experiences at launch. (3) leave the foundational core experiences in place always and cater to them. Even against mid & late life-cycle popularity dynamics. The majority of core experiences should be ranked. (4) prioritize an incentive to play the core experiences. This can be achieved or helped by XP & RP payouts; plus, perhaps challenges. And (5) innovate new featured rotational experiences going forward. Feature community content. If something proves popular find a way to make it more accessible, but not at the cost of essential experiences (more or less Tier 1 & 2).

Tier 1:
      • (Team Infantry Arena) Slayer
      • (Team Infantry Arena) Objectives
      • (Team Vehicular Combat) Slayer
      • (Team Vehicular Combat) Objectives
      • (Team) Doubles
      • (FFA) Lone Wolves
      • (Social) Infection
      • (Social) Fiesta - only w/ a deep sandbox otherwise it drops. random sandbox access and availability.
      Tier 2:
      • (Ranked) HCS - tourney setup within online ranked. overlaps w/ Arena & FFA. maybe partial w/ Squad, Dubs, & perhaps SWAT too.
      • (Ranked) SWAT - hardcore mode. low TTK. no radar or shields.
      • (Ranked) Squad Battle &/or (Social) BTB - overlaps w/ vehicular combat. mixed modes.
      • (Social) Quick Play - slayer training grounds.
      • (Ranked & Social) CTF - multi-flag. select social variants: Lightening Flag, Castle Wars, & Meta Raid.
      Tier 3:
      • (Social &/or Ranked) Snipers - I lean Shotty Snips only.
      • Warzone PvP & PvE environments - must be customizable. maybe limited Forge. includes 12v12 war.
      • PvE environments - IMO it belongs in the Warzone environment & Customs. completely Forge-able. Script-able AI bots. includes Firefight. probably worthy of Tier 2.
      • (Social & Ranked) Territories - Strongholds/3-Plot, a new Dominion variant, etc.
      • (Social & maybe Ranked) Bomb - Neutral Bomb, Ricochet, Grifball, One Bomb Assault
      • (Ranked &/or Social) Oddball
      • (Ranked &/or Social) KotH - Roaming Kings, Diminishing Kings, Crazy King
      • (Ranked &/or Social) Extraction - neutral site, multi-site, site progression.
      Tier 4:
      • (Social &/or Ranked) Elimination - 1-life round-based modes.
      • (Social) Assault/Invade - 1-sided round-based modes.
      • (Social) Action Sack - covers (FFA) Rumble Pit, Multi-Team, & team mini-games.
      • (Social/Ranked) Anniversary - a modernized throwback experience. start as rotational features as it allows for some innovation. use the Forge community.
      • (Social) Regicide
      • (Social) Gun Game - basically a Rumble Pit mode
      • (Ranked or Social) Grifball
      Tier 5:
      • (Social) Race
      • (Social) Juggernaut
      • etc.
      I imagine one of the earliest playlists to require condensing might be Grifball, but when it does it can simply turn into a second social Rotational Featured playlist slot (offset by a week from the other) when that need arises.
      That`s almost all the gamemode there ever was, I like that.