Forums / Community / Halo Championship Series

HCS Forge Map Feedback - 5.29.18

OP Tashi

Hey everyone! The HCS Playlist has just been updated with the latest Forge maps that will be used for competition next season. We've added work-in-progress version of the maps as they continue fine tuning and polish. Read more here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/forge-maps-and-playlist-updates

We're not only excited for more players to go hands-on with these amazing community creations, but we're also looking for feedback on these specific aspects:
  • Frame rate / performance
  • Exploits (Hidden ledges, getting out of normal map boundaries, etc)
  • General bugs and glitches (Missing geometry, killed by a kill volume during normal play, etc)
If you come across anything that fits within the above criteria, we would really appreciate it if you would leave a post detailing what you experienced. Screenshots and game clips are a huge help to the community Forgers who are looking to perfect their maps.

Thank you again, and we'll see you online!

-Tashi
Thanks for the love you guys are still giving to this game!!
Hey guys! This is my first time actually posting in the forums :) Just wanted to let you guys know that I worked with Negative Zero on Fissure, specifically the skill jumps, patching glitch spots, and smoothing out the flow of the map. He and I are still working on ironing out a few jumps, but if you find any issues with any areas being difficult with slides, inconsistent clamber spots, or things that you feel get in the way of movement, be sure to follow the instructions Tashi left above, but also contact me either on here or XBL with your input, and I'll definitely take a look at it!
I have a new containment setup for Refuge which uses 50 fewer pieces if Pwn Jones is interested. There are also some issues with his respawn points.
If it has not already been mentioned before, I'll say it now.
I feel like Refuge has more heavy-aim than the standard HCS maps. Refuge has an unnecessary lightmap (can be seen in forge) over 100%, might that be a factor towards heavy-aim? I went into forge and set the "light bake" to "off" on some objects, and that at least removed most of the lightmap %. Not sure if it made a difference towards heavy-aim though.
Sanc is one of my favorite maps and I want it to be as good as possible! :)
Peace!
Quote:
Hey everyone! The HCS Playlist has just been updated with the latest Forge maps that will be used for competition next season. We've added work-in-progress version of the maps as they continue fine tuning and polish. Read more here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/forge-maps-and-playlist-updates

We're not only excited for more players to go hands-on with these amazing community creations, but we're also looking for feedback on these specific aspects:
  • Frame rate / performance
  • Exploits (Hidden ledges, getting out of normal map boundaries, etc)
  • General bugs and glitches (Missing geometry, killed by a kill volume during normal play, etc)
If you come across anything that fits within the above criteria, we would really appreciate it if you would leave a post detailing what you experienced. Screenshots and game clips are a huge help to the community Forgers who are looking to perfect their maps.

Thank you again, and we'll see you online!

-Tashi
Quote:
Notes of Refuge HCS (Taken verbatim from twitter talks with Pwn Jones and StrongSide)

Map Movement

Want to point out that some jumps that were taken out were prevalent in Halo 2: Anniversary - Shrine. I think bringing a few back would open up the map movement skill gap for this map.

My opinion of the jumps that should be re-suggested for implementation should be:
  • Courtyard to Carbine Bridge (Halo 2: Anniversary Crouch Jump Rock)
  • Back Turret to Sniper House Grenades (Halo 2: Anniversary Crouch Jump Nerd Spot)
  • Spring Jump from Carbine Bridge to Ring 3
  • Make the Ring 3 Trick Jump (Above Rock Jump Up) more consistent compared to the Ring 3 Bridge Trick Jump.
Any other jumps should be balanced to forward the map movement skill gap however should be classified into two categories like whether it goes beyond movement purposes, and is extremely abusive. For example like from a bottom (direct worst) position to a top (direct advantageous) position like the Rock to Ring 3 Thrust Bump which was quite overpowered. Having these jumps added back as thrust bumps, and not as simple objects, utilizes the Halo 5: Guardians mechanical skill gap and adds that risk-reward system. Putting you in a position where you potentially burn a thrust for better positioning but loose the ability to escape or have the edge in the next potential fight.

Capture the Flag Time Return HCS Notes

My thoughts on the Capture the Flag variant for Refuge HCS also tempts questions as the gameplay seems to be "desperate the run" constantly which doesn't really add much in-terms of gameplay and is quite boring to observe as a spectator. I would like to suggest an improvement to see how it fares, where certain rules changes are brought more closer to the standard variant.

The suggested alternatives would be:
  • The "Capture Away from Home" rule should be removed as it just makes chasing the flag carrier the only option for stopping a Flag run, thus creating predictable decision making from your opponents and giving no options to further the decision-making skill gap and team work aspect of Halo 5: Guardians.
  • The "Timed Return" could also be investigated with adding back player returning but lowering the player multiplier to increase return time? Like for example making it 5x instead of the standard 10x making a return 6 seconds for a single player.
  • The final alternative is increasing the re-spawn time adding to 10 seconds like in Oddball HWC.
Refuge HCS Standard Map Notes

Small balancing issues to fix on the map:
  • The respawn times for standard weapons (Tier 1) being changed from 20 seconds to 40 seconds.
Possible alternatives to fix issues on the map:
  • Possibly adding a Active Camouflage in Ring 1 (for Slayer HCS) or an Energy Sword instead of SPNKr Rocket Launcher (for Capture the Flag HCS). (Note; The Energy Sword could increase the successfulness of the flag runs and thus make the map able to work on the standard CTF gametype?)

Quote:
Fissure HCS Standard Map Notes

• The respawn times for standard weapons (Tier 1) being changed from 20 seconds to 40 seconds.
  • Possibly moving the Covenant Carbine from the Back Base to the Mid Ramp going up to Platform.
Quote:
Echelon HCS Standard Map Notes

• Need to create additional routes for breaking setups.
Have you considered using Extraction HCS? You could actually use Halo 5: Guardians as a BETA test for the future Halo competitions setups of gametypes...

Also the Refuge - Timed Return HCS has only ever seen games going to 0 - 1 for a win or ends in a tie at 0 - 0. It mostly always goes to the final minute and overtime. This is actually worse than Fathom HCS ties and replays. Would like to see it improved upon.
Refuge seems to drop a lot of frames- especially when Sniping- which can be very annoying.

Another problem I found on Refuge seems to be the flag. I've gotten to the flag with enough time to grab it- but for some reason it ends up disappearing on me. Even when I'm not going for it- and it's just sitting there- the flag timer seems to be inconsistent.

On another note- I really don't think this map works on H5.

Can we please go back to Fathom and Regret- Regret being one of my favorite?

As someone already previously mentioned- there are definitely more overtimes and ties on this game than there are on Fathom.

Why couldn't we just have kept Fathom in and replaced those settings- instead? It makes a lot more sense to me....
In a game of Oddball on Fissure tonight the ball was stuck in an unreachable location. Here’s a clip of it.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nightclerk/video/53193979

And here’s the game if it’s useful for reference.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/5573cf21-3ae2-4c0d-89e6-e827d49eaa92/players/nightclerk?gameHistoryMatchIndex=5&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

I’m enjoying Oddball on Fissure and Echelon quite a bit.
Current Problems with Refuge HCS
  • Courtyard Spawn Influence
  • Predictable Routes
  • Thrust Bumps on Blue Side
Capture the Flag HCS Gametype
  • Respawn Timer increased to 10 seconds from 8 seconds.
Should make all the maps work with the standard Capture the Flag rule-set.

Reasoning: Due to the removal of Spartan Charge, Sprint no longer has "terminal velocity" and Ground Pound removes alot of flag runs routes. Overall the flag exits the enemy base slower giving time to enemies spawners to halt or slow the flag down, they shouldn't be able to contest if they go four dead. This would improve Fathom HCS and Refuge HCS where overextensions are not as fast, as the defensive gameplay is not as predictable.
Am I the only one who thinks that red team blends into the color scheme of the map?