Forums / Community / Halo Championship Series

HCS Halo5 gameplay should not have the Storm Rifle

OP thy ReaperMC

4x4/HCS Halo5 gameplay should not have the Storm Rifle present.
Note: Any scientific data collected was from CageyBee https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4xIIsCevJE4Ud7kcVNxJA
While some numbers may be in VERY SLIGHT dispute, they will do as all data collection was shown to be consistent.

Issue: Storm Rifle use on maps designed specifically for Close Quarters Battle (CQB)-Objective & Short Ranged Combat (SRC) “suffer” from a lack of sandbox depth.
There is a feeling amongst some groups within Halo that automatic weapon use on HCS/Arena maps is detrimental to the metagame.

While I would reserve the automatic power in HCS discussion for another time, I will seek to prove why the Storm Rifle is a BTB/Warzone weapon, too versatile and damaging for nearly every 4x4/HCS map.

As such, depending on the map, the Brute Plasma Rifle or single magazine SAW are much better alternatives to achieve that which the SR can.

Procedure: Relative assist ranges and variable Times to Kill will be compared.
Time to reload and reload/cooldown times are not considered as it will be shown that decreasing the time to force a cooldown on the SR will not affect its issues.
TTK is round to a single decimal because trade windows are never going to care about the hundredth.
The Suppressor is not considered “competitive” in a 4x4/HCS setting. The REQs are J
Now, baseline data;

http://i.imgur.com/APqwMMW.jpg
The M6 is our spawning precision. Hitscan. Zero bloom. Zero spread.
Has nearly, if not an identical RoF as the CEM6 (300ms+/-), and its best TTK matches a likely average TTK of the CEM6 (1.2s+/-).
Red Reticle Assist Ranges: 36.6m/57.4m
Smart-Link Magnification: 1.57%
TTK Head: 1.3s
TTK Body: 1.9s
TTK Melee: 0.7s

http://i.imgur.com/83PKGRc.jpg
The AR is our spawning automatic. Hitscan. Unshielded x2 headshot multiplier. Red reticle assists & blue reticle spread controlled by bloom. Recoil kick controlled by crouching. Bloom reaches max by about 0.5s of sustained fire.
Red Reticle Assist Ranges: 24.3m/42.6m
Smart-Link Magnification: 1.75%
TTK Head: 1.2s
TTK Body: 1.4s
TTK Melee: 0.8s

http://i.imgur.com/T7LXtZe.jpg
The SMG is a human CQB upgrade to the AR. Unshielded x1.5 headshot multiplier. Hitscan. Red reticle assists & blue reticle spread controlled by bloom. Recoil kick controlled by crouching. Bloom reaches maximum VERY quickly.
Red Reticle Assist Ranges: 19.7m/30.9m
TTK Head: 0.8s
TTK Body: 0.9s
TTK Melee: 0.6s

http://i.imgur.com/onTrkYU.jpg
The SR is a non-human upgrade to the AR. No unshielded headshot bonus. Non-hitscan. Red reticle assists & blue reticle spread controlled by bloom. No recoil kick. Bloom reaches max moderately.
Red Reticle Assist Ranges: 22.7m/38.6m
Smart-Link Magnification: 1.70%
TTK Head: 0.9s
TTK Body: 0.9s
TTK Melee: 0.4s

http://i.imgur.com/0YZWQfJ.jpg
The SAW is a human power upgrade the AR. Unshielded x2 headshot multiplier. Hitscan. Red reticle assists & blue reticle spread controlled by bloom. Recoil kick controlled by crouching. Bloom reaches maximum VERY quickly. 9 kills with a single mag.
Red Reticle Assist Ranges: 27.5m/49.5m
Smart-Link Magnification: 1.80%
TTK Head: 0.6s
TTK Body: 0.8s
TTK Melee: 0.5s

Sadly, no graph. Don’t blame the scientists J https://youtu.be/T8ZpYgD9VqQ?t=4m8s
The Brute PRi is a non-human upgrade to the SMG. No unshielded headshot bonus. Non-hitscan. Red reticle assists & blue reticle spread controlled by bloom. No recoil kick. Bloom reaches max VERY quickly.
Red Reticle Assist Ranges: 26.5m/41.5m
TTK Head: 1.3s
TTK Body: 1.3s
TTK Melee: 0.4s
Now that we have the data, let’s use it.

Likely the #1 complaint of automatics in H5 4x4/HCS is their ambushing abilities with fullauto in short range. I will define short range as ending at 25m, leaving 7m of range unseen by Motion Tracker.

Now, at 18m, the fullauto, unlinked, average TTK for the weapons are, in order:
SAW: 1.1s
SR: 1.2s
M6: 1.3s
Assumed BPRi: 1.5s
AR: 1.9s
SMG: 2s

So in max ambush range, unlinked, the SAW and SR can dominate the M6, but the M6 should be able to stand a chance against the remaining autos.

Now, at 18m, the fullauto, linked, average TTK for the weapons are, in order:
SAW: 0.9s
BPRi: 1.3s
SR: 1.3s
SMG: 1.5s
AR: 1.6s

So in max ambush range, but linked, the SAW is likely to maintain ambush lethality as it offers little time to react. The BPRi, M6 and SR both leave time to react, but little. The SMG and AR both leave enough room to be de-scoped.

Now, I will place CQB at 10m because that range seems magical for fullauto use on the graphs, and Thruster+Jump allows for a melee at that range as well. However, non-melee ambushing;
SAW: 0.8s
SMG: 0.9s
SR: 1.0s
Assumed BPRi: 1.25s
AR: 1.4s

So in best, fullauto ambush range, the SMG can edge out an SR but the top 3 have a huge advantage over the bottom 3. Bursting the top 3 to control bloom on a very fine level could very likely separate the skilled from the fullauto.

Lastly for Motion Tracker issues, the dreaded corner Shoot+Melee ambush TTK
BPRi: 0.4s
SR: 0.4s
SAW: 0.5s
SMG: 0.6s
M6: 0.7s
AR: 0.8s

In absolute best possible ambush scenario for a beatdown, the BPRi and SR edge out a SAW n SMG but decisively beat an M6 or AR.
However, there is a small check to the system for the M6 & AR, they can benefit from the headshot bonuses better than an SMG, and the SR and BPRi don’t receive headshot multipliers. Meaning, if a melee is thrown before using the weapon, the M6, SAW and AR, in that order, gain an advantage or tie the remaining weapons.

CQB-SRC Conclusion: The AR & M6 are spawning weapons, as such, they can and will be beat by stronger CQB-SRC used without force multipliers (teammates, grenades, melees, etc). When used with melee’s, they can tie or beat the best non-1SK CQB-SRC weapons.

The Storm Rifle is consistently a top 3 contender within CQB-SRC. It does just as good as job as an SMG and/or SAW in everything but melee-first ambushes. Its ammo reserve and SRC consistency allow it to flex from a melee enhancer to a ranged headshot-quickener better than an SMG. In every other scenario, the SAW’s hitscan and damage level are kept in check with bloom control and a reload, but the SR’s cooldown feature, Smart-Link assist extension and small burst spread make it equally as viable within Motion Tracker range, even if not hitscan.

And funny enough, even if overheating was quickened and spread increased, the CQB component would NOT be diminished at all, and spread control will still counter-balance any SRC change intentions.

Now, yes, Smart-Link allows an extension to weapons in a position of ranged power. This where the SR remains parallel with the already effective AR and is comparable to a SAW within mid-range and/or on non-BTB/WZ maps. Let’s take a look.

Now, 36.6m, the range most precisions have to SL. As I see a rough median of weapons SL’ing above and below 40m, I will place Mid Ranged Combat (MRC) at 40m. This allows the AR and SAW a bit of room to flex into MRC with SL, and the SMG and SR lost their assists before this.

So, at 40m the TTK with Smart-Linked fullauto are;
SAW: 1.2s
Assumed BPRi: 1.6s
SR: 1.8s
AR: 1.8s
SMG: 2.4s

But what happens if we’re de-linked at 40m? Never had a chance to even SL?
SAW: 1.7s
SR: 2.1s
AR: 2.4s
Assumed BPRi: 2.4s
SMG: 4.4s

MRC Conclusion: At MRC, it’s obvious that the SAW or M6 are the choice for a quick kill but the M6 does not need to SL if the user has the aim.
And using fullauto on everything will more than give enough time for a target to turn and de-link an attacker.

The SMG is not for use outside of Motion Tracker range.

However, the SAW, BPRi and SR can all be used more efficiently than the remaining automatics to strip shields for a headshot.

What we now begin to see specifically to versatility, is that the fullauto SR can still match a fullauto AR in MRC. And we’re not even considering proper bloom control to empower the automatics yet. Even with very rapid pulse firing an AR, the SR is much likelier to strip shields for a headshot quicker, and then be able to fall back onto for spammed CQB use if successful. The AR is low on ammo for the same role, so it requires a disengagement or other force multipliers to match. At least the SAW would also be low on ammo if not properly controlled (skillfully pulsed), and that’s a LONG reload (even with shedding).

Conclusion for 4x4/HCS: The Storm Rifle is too versatile for its use. It can match or beat a SAW, SMG or BPRi in CQB-SRC and run parallel with an AR into MRC without SL.
The BPRi offers more open sandbox use by not being as easily flexible as the SR, while the SAW offers the power with a bloom/reload check compared to an SR.

Now of course, I don’t promote putting SMG’s with BPRi’s together on a map, unless it's FFA or maybe BTB, but where using the BPRi instead of the SR specifically benefits AR/M6 starts in HCS is;
1) Strips shields quicker than any other standard fullauto but has a best TTK slightly lower than the spawning AR with headshots. Promotes team-shooting/room clearing. Challenges 10m fullauto AR’s.

2) Beats an SMG and SAW for Shoot+Melee ambushes but can lose to the AR, SMG or SAW in straight shooting fights within CQB, or if a melee is throw first. Removes the SR’s dominating ability here but keeps the weapon role.

3) With similar bloom control, the BPRi can beat an AR within SRC to MRC. If used fullauto, loses magnetism and overheats before getting a kill, where a similarly poorly used AR can still get their kill. Allows for skilled use to dominate but sloppy use to be punished severely in most combat encounters, any skill level.
So there it is. Automatics being good or bad for HCS/4x4 maps is for another discussion. Why the SR used on 4x4/HCS maps isn’t best, I hope I’ve shown.