[Locked] HCS Season 2 Map and Game Type Feedback

OP Forum Team

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
Today, we’re releasing a candidate list of maps that are being considered and tested for Season 2 of the Halo Championship Series, and we're looking to get feedback from you, the HCS community.

Starting now, you can download these maps from the “Official HCS” File Share. We encourage all players to download, play and give feedback on these maps. What do you like about the maps? What are some things you think that could be improved? Did you somehow find a way to get out of the normal map boundaries? Be sure to let us know in this thread.

Check out all of the maps that are being considered and tested for Season 2 of HCS here.

We look forward to reading your feedback!
Seriously? Tesla? Why on EARTH is this map being considered? Not only is it a terrible map with no originality or creativity put into it, but the construction is just LAZY. This map stands out like a sore thumb among the other great maps in this list, and is an insult to everyone in the forging community. Tesla is a mockery of map design and construction, yet here it is, sitting aside some truly fantastic and original designs. And why is that? Oh, right, some "pro" big shot felt that we as forgers are incapable of creating maps that play well and that we're too focused on aesthetics. This is a flat out lie, and makes a mockery of our craft. The ONLY reason this map has any traction is because of the connections Diesel has, and the fact that his "pro" buddies have to put in minimal effort to master this overly simplistic piece of garbage. There are so many other "two-base-two-tower" designs out there that are hands down superior to Tesla. Luckily, ONE of them got into this list, but that doesn't excuse Tesla from being an ugly watered down version of an already simple design. I cannot fathom how anyone can consider Tesla to be even remotely in league with any of the other maps listed here. It is poorly constructed, poorly designed, offers NOTHING new to the Midship formula, and is flat out LAZY. Please remove Tesla from this list. Not only is it insulting and makes a mockery of forge, but it just does NOT fit in with this list. NO ONE should be forced to play on such a poor excuse for a map in tournament play.
Of course the so called "pros" would think that "Tesla" is the best map for this map selection. I can assure you they have their heads are so far up their rectums right now. The fact that a lazily forged -Yoink- midship remake got in the map listing makes me sick to my stomach and i'm sure the entire forging/customs community feels the same way, I can only imagine how many of his "pro" friends spawned trapped each other while testing it hell I bet he didn't even test it at all. 343i should've let the cartographers decide the map listing, 343i has made decisions in the past without the cartographers help, most of the decisions from 343i were terrible however, thats why we had BTB maps in the Halo 4 Swat Playlist and so many flaws with Matchmaking in Halo 4. And yet again we have another -Yoink- decision from 343i deciding to add Tesla into the map listing, Other Developers should take note and learn from 343i's mistake, that pro players don't know -Yoink- about map design until they've actually forged decent maps. This is probably the biggest mockery of forge I've ever seen, 343i please remove "Tesla" from the map listing as this map will only result in you being a laughing stock.
Do not, I repeat, do not let Tesla into the final map pool for HCS Season 2. Just because some 'pro players' pushed this map to get this in does not make this a good map in the least. This map is far too flat and is far too simple while I should also mention the very large lines-of-sight. I should also note that many spawn points were facing walls as well. The aesthetic details on this map are bad with it's overlaying textures, z-fighting, pre-made pieces (such as the teleporter frame, which also happens to be floating in top center) and the outer walls which seem to made up of just 10x10 flat blocks. This map is a poor excuse for a Midship reimagination and is one of the biggest lazy forges I've ever seen. Take a look at some of the other maps in the map pool made by professional forgers who know what they are doing and don't even tell me that Tesla does not stand out.

I only hope this map being a candidate for HCS Season 2 is just an April Fools joke. Not even my worst enemy should have to be forced to play Tesla.

OH WAIT, I guess our constructive feedback about why Tesla shouldn't be in HCS Season 2 must be invalid because according to some 'pro players' on r/Halo and Beyond Entertainment forums claim that ForgeHub "isn't a competitive site" because they fail understand what makes Tesla a bad map. Just because somebody is a pro player does not mean they know how to properly design a map and Tesla is a perfect example of this.
Tesla plays terribly. Some of the spawns had me and teammates facing walls, and the sight lines are ridiculously huge.

The map looks poorly made, and looks like a childs version of Midship. Please do not allow this map in rotation for HCS Season 2.

I will edit and update my post as I play the other maps.

EDIT:

Eden plays wonderfully for an Asymmetrical map. Slayer works well and KOTH is good too.

Athelon is interesting in many ways. Ricochet plays cool on it, and I especially like the charging Overshield near the bottom middle.

Temple is good, but it's a bit dark. I would rather have Temple over Tesla.

So far Temple, Eden and Athelon are must haves for HCS Season 2.
Eden & Athelon should definitely get in. Eden is a great asymmetric with good objective gametypes, and Team Slayer. Athelon is also pretty fun. Plus these two maps look good as well.

Agree with the others, Tesla should not be on the list. We'll have two midships in Halo 5... we need a break. If 343 really wants a Midship-esque map, Temple would be much better. Tesla is too simple and ugly, and has bad spawns.

I'd pick Venom as the third map for an equal mix of symmetric and asymmetric maps: Warlord, Sanc, & Athelon vs. Lockdown, Eden, & Venom.
Tesla? Seriously?

Okay then.

*leaves*
These are all just first impressions from walking through maps on my own. I will update as I play the maps more.

Why are Tesla and Temple being chosen over Oracle? Oracle is a much better map than either of them. Tesla has some wonky spawns, and Temple just feels too.. big, I guess. It feels really stretched out. Please, please, please, please test Oracle. If not, well, I'd go for Temple over Tesla. But seriously, Oracle. Do I need to say it again? ORACLE. Test it.

Athelon looked great. Really enjoy that map. The OS charging thing could actually make for some interesting plays. Really like that idea.

Test Oracle.

Eden looks good. First impressions wise, it seems like it will play well. I really like it. Good asym map.

Test Oracle.

No real opinion on Erupt yet.

Test Oracle.

I did not like Venom. Just to much stuff on it, powerups wise, and no discernible bases really. Callout seem like they'll be difficult to make.

Epicborugh also looked good. Got sort of a Simplex vibe from it.

Test Oracle.

As of now, my choices would be Athelon, Eden, possibly Epicboruough or Erupt, + midship style map (Oracle, or failing that, Temple)
I am going to have to agree with the general consensus on Tesla. Disregarding the the trashy look of it, the map plays terribly. With long and open sight-lines, players can be easily picked off without time to respond. On top of all of this is the consideration of originality. This map is yet another remake of Midship. This would be fine accept it brings absolutely nothing new to the scope of the design. Please remove this map.

Personally, I love the look and feel of both Venom and Eden. Both maps play great and are properly balanced unlike Tesla. These would have to be my two picks. As for a third, I would choose Athelon as the map is a lot of fun to play on.
Paladin MI wrote:
These are all just first impressions from walking through maps on my own. I will update as I play the maps more.

Why are Tesla and Temple being chosen over Oracle? Oracle is a much better map than either of them. Tesla has some wonky spawns, and Temple just feels too.. big, I guess. It feels really stretched out. Please, please, please, please test Oracle. If not, well, I'd go for Temple over Tesla. But seriously, Oracle. Do I need to say it again? ORACLE. Test it.

Athelon looked great. Really enjoy that map. The OS charging thing could actually make for some interesting plays. Really like that idea.

Test Oracle.

Eden looks good. First impressions wise, it seems like it will play well. I really like it. Good asym map.

Test Oracle.

No real opinion on Erupt yet.

Test Oracle.

I did not like Venom. Just to much stuff on it, powerups wise, and no discernible bases really. Callout seem like they'll be difficult to make.

Epicborugh also looked good. Got sort of a Simplex vibe from it.

Test Oracle.

As of now, my choices would be Athelon, Eden, possibly Epicboruough or Erupt, + midship style map (Oracle, or failing that, Temple)
Oracle would indeed be a far better choice. I wonder who even picks these maps (if that's in the article, I'm sorry, it kind of lost me when I saw Tesla on the list).
Seeing Tesla on this list is just as bad as looking screenshots of it. Tesla is poorly forged with zero originality and brings no development on the two-base/two-tower design that seems to be the go-to of bland design. There really is no reason it should have received anywhere near as much recognition as Oracle, let alone as much as the majority of the maps listed here.

The only Tesla for me is Nikola Tesla.

As for my picks: Epicborough, Eden and Athelon.
One of these maps is not like the others. One of these maps just doesn't belong.
It's Tesla.

Tesla should not be on this list. It's an affront to all of the well-forged maps on this list (for that matter, where the hell is Dispute?) Tesla is seriously not what you want the audience to see as far as tournament-level forged maps go. It is ugly, it is overly simplistic to the nth degree, and is a rehash of a rehash of an already tired formula.There is seriously nothing interesting about the map, and the ONLY reason it could possibly be considered is because some pros like the extreme simplicity (you'd have to be braindead not to have the map figured out in 2 minutes) of it. Please 343, for your own sake, and for the sake of HCS and the forge community, remove Tesla from considerations for Season 2. Better maps were presented to you, and you know it, and we know you know it.
Why is erupt not being tested for hill? I figured that was its strongest game-type. Glad to see this process makes as much since as usual. I feel bad for the forgers who got CC'd. I think a few of them were as good as the CC maps.
New maps! Let me just click these links to down... Wait. Oh I remember now. There is no online File share. That was a funny joke 343. How am I even supposed to find the "Official HCS" file share? Is that a gamertag and do I deed to send it a friend request. The way 343 has handled the situation of the MCC is shameful.

Now, the maps. Tesla. Really? Tesla!?

I don't think I have anything new to add other than that the map is just a straight up midship clone and that it does not deserve to be played in the HCS on twitch as it will just burn my own and many others eyes out.
Epicbourough or whatever its called is a halo 4 forge map. Which played pretty well. So depending how many they put in I like that as a back option.

Athelon I really like for flag and bomb. Not sure how the os thing will play out. Could be abused. But design I def enjoy.

Temple > tesla. I see people posting there's better options. But if it's gonna come down to it. Temple is way better

Eden is pretty decent looking. Just from the run through. No real opinion yet.

Erupt and venom I don't like. Just seems like no rhyme or reason to anything. And venom has every power up ever on it. But I do like the idea of speed boost being a power up. Especially with ricochet in. Def a power combo.
Can you please sign on Halo so we can download the maps?
Yes indeed, how may we download these maps from the file share? It is impossible to download these maps when the account is offline and there is no file browser or a link to said maps.

Please give a us a working file share in MCC and a web based file share so we may download these maps please.
I cannot download the maps from the fileshare. Please implement a working filebrowser that can be accessed both in-game and in a web browser.
This is a perfect time to implement a working fileshare, 343. How can people download the maps if the gamertag isn't online?

Also, across multiple forums, I haven't seen one positive comment about Tesla making it this far. I think that speaks volumes about what the community (doesn't) want.
Id like to dl the maps. I wish we had on line fileshares like we did in Halo 4, Reach & Halo 3. That's like the most important part of the online community.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9