Forums / Community / Halo Championship Series

How do you bridge the skill gap?

OP DaddyTrax

Ok, just wanted to get some thoughts on this. Ultimately I'd like to increase my skill level. I think I rise to the same level in every Halo and I plateau. I'll share a couple bullet points to help you understand where I'm at:
- I'm good enough to have sixty-something win percentage in each Halo.
- In halo 3 I had two playlists at level 50 with the rest between 45-49.
- In most matches I'm towards the top of the kill list or objective points.
- I learn most callouts, enough to communicate competently with most gamers.
- I play with friends who are mostly below me skill wise, a few who are better but not many.
- I DON'T have specific setups or strategies for any maps (except Lockout from Halo 2)
- I DON'T have a steady team who I play with.
- I DON'T know spawns well enough to predict where players will respawn.

Like honestly, I'm a good player who has a ton of room to improve. I just don't know where to get information on map setups and spawn controls. Where's a player like me go to get better? Thoughts? Ideas?
Honestly the key to getting better at halo is networking and keeping a positive mindset

Add people on the forums who play competitively.
add ppl who are better than you in matchmaking.
always play with people who are better than you.
Constantly run customs.

Watch streamers. You will learn the game inside and out. Where ppl spawn. How and when to pressure the map.
Funny...I am literally in the exact same boat as you. Had one 50 and the rest 45+ in H3. It seems my issue is not being able to accurately predict where the enemy will be most times by understanding where they spawn. I have been playing Halo for 13 years though and I want to take my game to the "next level" per se. Some good tips I have read are 1) Play for the assist. 2)Almost never chase kills. Just let him go. 3)Peek shoot. Try to stay right beside cover during gunfights if possible.

Add me if you wanna play sometime. I play often. Swerve City 13
Watching pro teams play helps a lot. You see the type of team work they implement. The way they approach every scenario. Strategies they use and the way they play. Watching players on twitch and stuff is really helpful too. They'll usually talk about game points and exactly what they're doing.

You can add me too, TheLawCXVII I play a lot. I'm always looking for competitive players to play with.
Funny...I am literally in the exact same boat as you. Had one 50 and the rest 45+ in H3. It seems my issue is not being able to accurately predict where the enemy will be most times by understanding where they spawn. I have been playing Halo for 13 years though and I want to take my game to the "next level" per se. Some good tips I have read are 1) Play for the assist. 2)Almost never chase kills. Just let him go. 3)Peek shoot. Try to stay right beside cover during gunfights if possible.

Add me if you wanna play sometime. I play often. Swerve City 13
Same here. In that same boat. Like they said. Watch streamers. Add better players. Etc
Watching pro teams play helps a lot. You see the type of team work they implement. The way they approach every scenario. Strategies they use and the way they play. Watching players on twitch and stuff is really helpful too. They'll usually talk about game points and exactly what they're doing.

You can add me too, TheLawCXVII I play a lot. I'm always looking for competitive players to play with.
Agree. It's like anything else. If you wanna get good at basketball, watch Steph Curry and Lebron. Obviously you have to practice what you learn, too.
Exileee wrote:
Honestly the key to getting better at halo is networking and keeping a positive mindset

Add people on the forums who play competitively.
add ppl who are better than you in matchmaking.
always play with people who are better than you.
Constantly run customs.

Watch streamers. You will learn the game inside and out. Where ppl spawn. How and when to pressure the map.
^ this is exactly what i was going to say.

Also for spawns, first step is to make a mental note of places you spawn after you died in a certain area knowing where the enemy team is, this way you get the feel of each maps "popular" spawns, then be thinking of where they would spawn with your current team position and their last death positions. With those factors you can narrow down spawn points to 2 or 3 spots. after awhile with a consistent team you can start to control spawns and build a strategy around that
Best advice I can give is get a few people you can play with regular and just play games with/ against each other it is mind blowing how much this can help and as have others have said just watching hell even your own theater matchs can give you huge incite on what you could have done better.

I like to try out maps on my own every once and awhile i plug in a second controller and pop into a custom check how grenades react in rooms look for skill jumps, find spawns and weapons plan out how I would start the match from both sides of the spawn. things like this.
I can't stress enough how invaluable the theater is to building your skill. For me I'm still waiting to upgrade to the xbox one so i want to improve my skills as much as possible until then. If you analyse the playback it can teach you about those bad habits that every player gets or specific weaknesses that you wouldn't notice in the heat of battle. Just for an example I noticed that outside of team snipers I really choke when I pick the sniper up in regular slayer but i never noticed this till I started watching myself. I guess through fear of wasting and losing the weapon my map movement lost its flexibility along with the confidence of my aim. So thanks to theater I discovered alot of faults in my game and now I'm slowly starting to eliminate them because your only as strong as your greatest weaknesses.
I've found some good resources on /r/CompetitiveHalo/ in regards to kill times and map layouts. Aside from that, find some regular people to play with and get in on some customs. Feel free to add me on Live, hopefully we can get in on some good matches.
Sometimes spawn awareness is a skill that you attain over time. I'm used to knowing where all of my teammates are on the map and sometimes that's enough information for me to accurately predict the enemy's mext spawn location. It's not simple for everyone, but it can still be learned just by playing the game. Making a set team over Xbox live is also really helpful. I'd be very interested in playing with you. Some people don't really understand how good they are until they play with other veterans to the game.