Forums / Community / Halo Championship Series

Trying To Get Good?

OP War Vibes

I have been grinding ranked for almost as much as I've played Halo 5. I started off my first couple seasons as a silver player, and grinded my way up to platinum. I'm not naturally a good video game player, and this is the first time I've ever payed attention to rankings in a video game.

A few tips to noobs

1) Find a look sensitivity that is comfortable to you. Don't play on max sensitivity because you have an onyx friend who does. Play what you will do best with. I personally have a low sensitivity of 2.
2) Do not rage. You tend to be more frontal, less tactical, and more spastic if you allow yourself to rage. Instead take deep breaths, realize where you, yes you the player (not the game), messed up. And fix it. Work towards fixing it, at the very least.
3) Don't go straight for headshots on a pistol. Pop the shields with body shots, and once the shield is gone, dome the head. It's easier to land your hitson the center of mass. If you are landing more hits, your accuracy and chance of survival in any given engagement goes up. That doesn't mean you'll be a full fledged god ready for Champion, but you'll be better.
4) Mess around with your controls. Default layout doesn't work for everyone. Find a layout that plays comfortably in your hands. I personally use Helljumper. It makes my games flow way smoother.
5) Turn toggle crouch OFF. Simple as that.
6) Try using a balanced playlist instead of expanded. I went against 2 Champion players and an Onyx in expanded once. Three times. In a row. Needless to say, I had my butt kicked terribly and lost some KD and accuracy in my playlist. Not to mention Rank.
7) In team game modes, throw together a team of players with a similar skill level. Get used to playing with each other, make callouts frequently, and rely on each other when you need to. If a teammate snags a kill from you because both you and your enemies shields are popped DO NOT FREAK OUT on them. Chill, be a team player.

Diamonds and up, please let me know some tips that I could use to increase my skill level. I want to be the best player I possibly can.
Dont over extend, cut the map into 3 parts when you spawn, your side, the middle, and the other side. When your team kills two push up and get map control. If you're team is 2 dead, try to stay alive until they respawn. Always try to get to higher ground, and better sightlines. Halo competitively is very much like a fast paced game of chess.
What really helps me is warming up in octagon with a friend. Makes a huge difference
I feel like the rage one will help me a lot, after i always die I'm like "that person had his sheild popped and I mele'd him", "how did he get a perfect kill on me", but at the start of the game I usually get 3 kills and 0 deaths, because I dont rage. Thankd for that tip.
These five channels have excellent high quality content for improving at Halo Reach:

ShyWay

Vetoed

ReclaimeR

Proximitty

Bravo
These five channels have excellent high quality content for improving at Halo Reach:

ShyWay

Vetoed

ReclaimeR

Proximitty

Bravo
thank you
I wrote a whole guide at halolessons.com to teach players how to dominate. Im having a hard time finding people like you to even share this advice with. The weapons training section is free and I will post a snippet here and then create and entire post with weapons training.

Battle Rifle/DMR/Magnum
First thing to Learn - Precision Weapons
Shooting an Enemy From any Distance
The First thing to focus on when becoming good with the Precision Weapons is knowing how to best shoot your opponents in close range, mid-range, and long-range battles.

Needle Rifle – Halo Reach
Needle rifle can be considered a precision weapon and even more deadly than the DMR. In competitive play, picking up the needle rifle as a secondary will save you from reloading in awkward moments as well. Be aware that this weapon is underrated in halo and is always good to have secondhand knowledge of.

FUTURE VIDEO* - Needle Rifle vs. DMR – Halo Reach – Planned February update on www.Youtube.com/prohaloguide

Close range
In close range battles when opponents are close to you, it is harder to keep your aimer on them consistently to hit every shot. So, what you must do to hit these shots is slow down your shot speed to make sure you’re giving yourself the time to land each of your shots accurately. When you get your timing down of hitting each accurate shot, you will start to consistently land perfect close range 5 shots. (4 Shot Battle Rifle)

Mid-range
Mid-range battles are about steady aim and speed shooting. In a mid-range battle, you are mostly shooting your opponent’s body as fast as possible then moving your reticule to their head on the last shot. For the most part, mid-range battles don’t require moving your reticule a lot, so once you’re on target, getting down a fast five shot will make you a great mid-range shooter.

The only thing that can be difficult to master in a mid-range battle is knowing when to zoom in and when not to zoom in. If your reticule is red then you have aim assistance and do not have to zoom in, but once the red reticule goes away you must zoom in to regain this aim assistance. Pay attention to this because once you lose the red reticule your shots will become very inaccurate. Work on this so that you can always make sure you’re hitting every shot and aren’t wasting ammo on missed shots.

Tip: Scope sensitivity on PC halo can dramatically change your game. Setting the scope sensitivity lower is good for precision weapons, but it will make you more likely to no scope with sniper. Every setting change has its pros and cons, use whatever feels most comfortable.

Long range
Most long-range battles are about getting good angles and shooting opponents who don’t see you to get them weak. When you are barely exposing yourself, moving around the map, and getting better angles; you are continuing to get the other team weak which contains them so your team can push up to get map control. This is how players put the most damage into the other team all game long; they are just very good at putting damage in their long-range battles.
Now, when you get into a long-range battle and you have an opponent shooting right back this situation will be focused on your ability to scope back on a player. All Long-Range Battles require you to scope in and put shots from afar. What can be difficult for players to understand in long range battles, and why many people are not as skilled at long range, is because long range battles are about getting your scope up on the person who is trying to shoot back at you.
So, when you are being shot back at from long range, the way to win the battle is to hold control of the Rifle Scope. What you have to get good at is when they are able to scope and shoot you so that you are knocked out of scope; you will acquire a rhythm to scope right after he shoots you because that’s when you can scope and shoot him. If you can do it in that amount of time and hit anywhere on his body, then he must do the same thing back which is often very hard. Being able to control the long-range scope is the best way to become a good long-range shooter.

Tip: When you learn the skill of controlling the long-range scope on opponents; you will realize that people over challenge and make many similar mistakes in long range battles which are new opportunities to take advantage of every game.

All Ranges
To improve your BR, DMR, Needle Rifle, Magnum, or any Precision Weapons; train regularly in the octagon against friends, play Free for All’s, or go into ranked matchmaking and focus specifically on your close range, mid-range, and long-range skills. Start counting the shots in your head as you hit them until it becomes second nature to get 5 shots. Focus on each range and what you could be doing wrong so you can make your weaknesses strengths. You can find many varieties of the Octagon Game types in file share here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?query=octogon&tags=&gamertag=&lastmodifiedfilter=0

Improving your Battle Rifle Aim
The key to improving your aim is first focusing on accuracy and then increasing your shot speed. Therefore, there are two elements of shooting; one is accuracy and the second is speed. In order to develop speed, one must first develop accuracy. Too many players try to go for speed first, but when you really slow down your shot and make sure you land each one, speed slowly comes, and accuracy improves drastically. So, to improve your battle rifle aim, make your goal to hit every single shot to get your accuracy at the highest level you can, rather than shooting as fast as you can. If you focus directly on pacing every shot until your aim is on your opponent before you shoot, you will become much faster with your accuracy and will have a very good shot.

ShyWayVetoedReclaimeRProximittyBravo
I think you meant Halo 5.

Lol yeah all those guys and their channels are based in H5, but check all of their recent uploads and you'll see a plethora of helpful Reach content.

Lol yeah all those guys and their channels are based in H5, but check all of their recent uploads and you'll see a plethora of helpful Reach content.
I know I watch them all the time, except Bravo. I meant that the OP wanted to know how to get better at H5.