Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

343 iNDUSTRIES, hALO REACH NEEDS RANKING SYSTEM

OP Blindopoly

WHY REACH NEEDS RANKING SYSTEM

I’m writing this in hopes to rally enough views and replies for 343 members to notice. I believe I speak for ALL the MLG community and probably many other “social gamers” when I say Halo: Reach desperately needs a 1-50 ranking system much like Halo 3’s.

Since the change from Halo 3 to Halo: Reach, the total number of Halo players has significantly decreased, especially those in the MLG community. In fact, MLG is considering removing Halo: Reach from the circuit next year since not enough people are attending events to compete for competitive Halo. Halo was the reason MLG developed in the first place and it is a shame to watch an ending like this.

I understand my opinion is not the same as some halo fans but I strongly believe incorporating a 1-50 ranking system into the game would benefit, not only Halo, but also MLG. We as an MLG community are tired of the “randomness” and uncompetitive nature of MLG. Upon joining a game, players are seemingly paired up at random. A legitimate “level 50” can easily be placed in a game with a first time player. This makes the entire game no fun for either team (whether it’s because it’s too easy or too hard). There is no change in matchmaking whether you join solo or with a team. Teams are matched with individuals and individuals are matched with teams. This shouldn’t happen.

The competitive side to matchmaking is gone. If you’re losing you quit. If you’re winning who cares? With a ranking system, players would have a motivation to, not only win, but also not quit. I know I didn’t create the game and I’m sure I don’t know what’s the best “economical decision” overall, however I see nothing outstandingly wrong with incorporating a ranking system (even if only in the MLG playlist).

Overall, this would increase the popularity, competitiveness, and enjoyment of the game while hopefully bringing back enough players for use in the MLG circuit. Matchmaking would be fun again and players would be able to compete at their skill level. The ranking system would bring a strong competitive nature back to the game that has since been lost. PLEASE reply with your thoughts even if you disagree or have different ideas. I want 343 to hear what we, the community, want.

343, if you are reading this, we all love your game, but please consider what I’ve proposed. I honestly think it will be beneficial to everyone.

-Blindopoly
Quote:
TrueSkill ranking is being used to find good matches inside the MLG playlist (and all other playlists as well). However, since almost all of our resources and people are currently committed to Halo 4, we simply don’t have the resources available to do what would, by necessity, be a fairly dramatic overhaul of the UI and certain systems to expose that number. This is simply the way Reach was built.

We are willing and happy to continue our work with MLG to fine-tune skill matching within that playlist, the goal being to strike a good balance between competitive games and matchmaking times. We are in constant contact with the MLG officials, so give them your feedback via the normal methods they have in place, and we’ll continue working with them to make the MLG playlist the best it can be. Thanks!
Source: http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postsm405380_Rank-the-MLG-Playlist--Community-and-Staff-Agree.aspx#post405380

It's not happening.
Quote:
Quote:
TrueSkill ranking is being used to find good matches inside the MLG playlist (and all other playlists as well). However, since almost all of our resources and people are currently committed to Halo 4, we simply don’t have the resources available to do what would, by necessity, be a fairly dramatic overhaul of the UI and certain systems to expose that number. This is simply the way Reach was built.

We are willing and happy to continue our work with MLG to fine-tune skill matching within that playlist, the goal being to strike a good balance between competitive games and matchmaking times. We are in constant contact with the MLG officials, so give them your feedback via the normal methods they have in place, and we’ll continue working with them to make the MLG playlist the best it can be. Thanks!
Source: http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postsm405380_Rank-the-MLG-Playlist--Community-and-Staff-Agree.aspx#post405380

It's not happening.
Why do threads like these keep popping up? Maybe 343 should address this in one of their bulletins that Halo Reach WILL NOT be getting a 1-50 ranking system.
Quote:
Halo: Reach desperately needs a 1-50 ranking system much like Halo 3’s.
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Since the change from Halo 3 to Halo: Reach, the total number of Halo players has significantly decreased,
Which all can be directly traced back to the lack of 1-50 right? I suppose you'll be posting your proof directly after this.

Quote:
A legitimate “level 50” can easily be placed in a game with a first time player.
Which is because MLG's population is extremely low. The game by default is set to make a match, no matter the quality, since it would be better than having you wait for three hours on end for a single game or kicking you back to the menus.

Also: Reach won't be getting 1-50.
There is no chance whatsoever that Halo Reach needs a 1-50 rank system since it already had the arena playlist.
reach has 2 ranking systems.
Just have to wait for Halo4, hopefully it will be ranked a little better.
Just wait for Halo 4 to come out, hopefully it will have a ranking system.
Funny thing, the majority of any Halo games population have always been playing social, unranked playlists. In Reach, most playlists are unranked and despite that the population is low, maybe, maybe OP rank has nothing to do with it?
It might have to do with lacking weapon balance, broken gameplay/sandbox and crappy p2p MM?
Reach won't get 1-50, it's been said over and over again, and even if it did it wouldn't change anything.