Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

343 should be embarrassed at their ranking system

OP wadehamilton

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The only playlist I play is team arena because I like the rule set.
But it's become impossible to enjoy. The games are so mismatched I have no idea what the algorithm 343 thinks is going to make for fun gameplay. I have my search preference to focused, and I would say 7/10 times the games are predictably mismatched based on the ranks of each time. I literally just played a game where these were the teams:
Blue:
-Diamond 2
-Diamond 2
-Platinum 5
-Platinum 6

Red:
-Diamond 1
-Diamond 5
-Champion
-Champion

This isn't a one off thing. This sort of things happens the MAJORITY of games... Look I'm not looking for a perfectly matched game but when it's that far off what is the thinking? Even if the champs are a team maybe put them with the plats?
You tend to get match discrepancies like this when you get matched against a squad. This is likely one of those cases. The game can't forcibly break up a squad. If this was a game made up of 8 solo players, you'd probably have a legit argument.
Check out this thread on Dr. Menke's comments about games like this, but I tend to agree with you
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/halo-5-matchmaking-feedback-update---mar-15-2019/99688df4-9b5f-42fb-9a79-3816230effc6/posts?page=18#post359
I said this in another thread but I'll also state it here:

The population in H5 has been consistently dropping ever since the tournaments rapped up in 2018. Add in Halo MCC being improved and the advertising around reach and there's different members of the Halo community even being split right now. Due to the population drop your going to have trouble finding matches at certain times of the day (and depending on where you live), and getting matches with more fair lobbies. Even when you put the connection to focused it will bump it out to balanced and then expanded before it times out trying to find you a match. Once you get to expanded you are pretty much going with further offering for connection quality and fair lobbies.

When it comes to choosing fair lobbies there are so many considerations behind the scenes. Your MMR, CSR, and how many people are partied up together. From my own anecdotal experience if you're a party of 4 it seems to try to find another party of 4, then a 3-1, then a 2-2, and then a timeout if none of those options were found. Additionally don't hold too much to the CSR (diamond/onyx/champ). There aren't even 200 champions in Team Arena and the season has been active for... what? 2 weeks? That's unheard of. It really drives home the point of the population being low.
The search preferences don't have an influence on what skill levels you match with. They only let you select what server region you want to play on and let you have a delay on matching parties on focused search. Like already mentioned, you should post in the MM Feedback thread if you want the reasons why that game happened.
Should they, though? The matchmaking problems are due to population. I think you should be more embarrassed about your topic.
It's due to the low population in team arena, which is too bad.
I don't think it has much to do with low population - I'm finding games in Team Arena in about 10-20 seconds every time I search. Most games aren't fireteams of 3-4 players. I literally just finished a game with all random players - where 343 decided to put 2 champions, 1 onyx, 1 diamond on red team and 4 low level diamonds on blue team. The game was 50-18 slayer. Everyone was a random player.

Look I don't mind a 50-18 game if the teams were somewhat balanced before it began. But when it's predictably unbalanced before it begins, then the game turns like that , it's a complete waste of everyone's time. And this happens literally all the time.

343 needs to assign a rank a number, then cap the differential so games don't turn out like that. Make a seperate search preference for balanced ranked games.

Plat 1 = 1 pt
Plat 6 = 6 pts
Diamond 1 = 7 pts
Diamon 6 = 12 pts
Onyx = 13 pts
Champion = 14 pts

If there's more than 5 pt difference between teams don't start the game.
Here's hoping there's some balancing caps in Infinite

And you guy's can flame me all you want - but I'm only writing this because I love H5 - I think it's one of the best Halo's in terms of gameplay - But it's getting impossible to play.
No, people just complain too much
I don't think it has much to do with low population - I'm finding games in Team Arena in about 10-20 seconds every time I search. Most games aren't fireteams of 3-4 players. I literally just finished a game with all random players - where 343 decided to put 2 champions, 1 onyx, 1 diamond on red team and 4 low level diamonds on blue team. The game was 50-18 slayer. Everyone was a random player.

Look I don't mind a 50-18 game if the teams were somewhat balanced before it began. But when it's predictably unbalanced before it begins, then the game turns like that , it's a complete waste of everyone's time. And this happens literally all the time.

343 needs to assign a rank a number, then cap the differential so games don't turn out like that. Make a seperate search preference for balanced ranked games.

Plat 1 = 1 pt
Plat 6 = 6 pts
Diamond 1 = 7 pts
Diamon 6 = 12 pts
Onyx = 13 pts
Champion = 14 pts

And you guy's can flame me all you want - but I'm only writing this because I love H5 - I think it's one of the best Halo's in terms of gameplay - But it's getting impossible to play.
How do you know they were random players?

Plat 1 = 1 pt
Plat 6 = 6 pts
Diamond 1 = 7 pts
Diamon 6 = 12 pts
Onyx = 13 pts
Champion = 14 pts

What you are describing is essentially a watered down version of what is happening behind the scenes. Everyone has a CSR (your achieved rank) and everyone has a hidden MMR (your current "potential" rank). Some people have much higher CSRs than their MMR (due to teammates who carry them for a long period of time) while other people have a lower CSR than their MMR (usually due to solo queuing). It is possible for a Diamond player to have the MMR of a Champion so a game with Diamonds vs. Champs could occur since TS2 uses MMR to matchmake, not CSR.

Of course, because the population is low it could have simply expanded the bounds in order for the players to actually play.
While i don't see Team Arena on MCC (you might be playing 4, classic reach, or 5). But yes, it sucks. I know with ranked on Halo 3, it searched within 10 levels of you or your party average (i think). Otherwise, it's unbalanced.
While i don't see Team Arena on MCC (you might be playing 4, classic reach, or 5). But yes, it sucks. I know with ranked on Halo 3, it searched within 10 levels of you or your party average (i think). Otherwise, it's unbalanced.
This section is Halo 5 focused so the OP and following posts are for Halo 5.

Please refer to the MCC sections for MCC discussions. :)
This section is Halo 5 focused so the OP and following posts are for Halo 5.

Please refer to the MCC sections for MCC discussions. :)
My bad. Didn't see that it was H5 until your response.
No, people just complain too much
Agreed
Stop crying and get good.
No. Josh has explained the system over and over. It works. Only issue is population. You, my friend, and many others, should be embarrassed that you are all too ignorant to read and understand Menke's CLEAR explanation of how things work.
People are just too ignorant. The system has been explained over and over.
Congrats on becoming a monitor Afro. Just noticed this.

@wadehamilton - The Focused preference use to provide some insurance that you couldn't get pulled into a lobby with extremely poor match odds until 4 minutes of search time had eclipsed. During the Big Team Battle refresh and transition to the Ranked environment there were changes made to the preference selections. The protection afforded to the Focused preference selection got reduced to approximately 2 minutes. At the time, my hope was that the Balanced preference would've gained a minute or 90 seconds of similar protection while the Focused preference had its reduced down to 2 minutes, but then later on it felt like the protections might've been removed entirely to help facilitate quicker matchmaking by pairing people together when it believes it's pointless to make them wait. I think there's been on-going adjustments to that method, but only ZaedynFel can provide clarity on how they're currently setup to function from a protection standpoint. Otherwise, the preference selections are basically there for the purposes of limiting what data centers you could potentially connect to.
The only playlist I play is team arena because I like the rule set.
But it's become impossible to enjoy. The games are so mismatched I have no idea what the algorithm 343 thinks is going to make for fun gameplay. I have my search preference to focused, and I would say 7/10 times the games are predictably mismatched based on the ranks of each time. I literally just played a game where these were the teams:
Blue:
-Diamond 2
-Diamond 2
-Platinum 5
-Platinum 6

Red:
-Diamond 1
-Diamond 5
-Champion
-Champion

This isn't a one off thing. This sort of things happens the MAJORITY of games... Look I'm not looking for a perfectly matched game but when it's that far off what is the thinking? Even if the champs are a team maybe put them with the plats?
It’s sooo hard to chiev it
What's embarrassing is having to unlock all the stuff I unlocked 9 years ago all over again. Who the hell cares about a measuring stick?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2