- Round Based: I think this little tweak could make Assault feel a lot less like CTF. Downtime between rounds would allow players to have a fair chance at planning out their route each time. Team coordination can allow players to decide with one another where they will rush/where the enemy might rush/who should get the ball first/etc. CTF can remain as a frantic dash for the flag and a return to base and in game coordination, but Assault can be about planning and coordinating before the game begins. It also leaves a better "oh sh*t" effect when your base gets blown to smithereens.
- Make the bomb throwable: In CTF you can hold a Magnum with the flag. It's a unique idea that really spruced up the gametype and gave it a nice CTF signature. Why not do something similar to assault by allowing bomb carriers to throw the bomb? It would add some interesting potential plays into the mix, and nothing screams "Halo Assault" more than recklessly tossing about a massive explosive payload.
- Bring Assault to BTB: This just seems mutually beneficial to both the playlist and the gametype. I'm aware that this isn't exactly direct feedback to the assault preview itself, but while we're making changes I think it would be a great way to spruce up BTB (maybe more community maps that involve assault could be brought in).
- Attack/Defend Rounds: This might not exactly work on Arena maps, but attacking and defending has been a staple of assault that has made it stand out from other game types.
- Assault + Breakout Maps: Breakout maps seem like the perfect fit for Assault, especially if it becomes round based. They have clear, varied routes that are perfect for planning and coordinating. Imagine players thinking to themselves about what the best route would be to surprise the enemy and get the bomb first.
As of right now, Assault is pretty fun. I'm glad the arm time was changed, though it could probably be just a tad longer. Not as long as it used to be, but a tad longer. If anything, Assault's just missing a lot of the things that made it feel different from CTF. Assault has always been one of those gametypes where when you're explaining it to a friend in layman terms, you'd likely say "it's like CTF except you arm the flag in the opponents base". In reality, it was always different because of its signature characteristics—explosions, preround strategy, and a LOT of coordination. That said, I think the list above would do a lot to bring assault back to its roots while keeping it fresh, exciting, and unique.
Oh and while we're tampering with the ball gametype, could we someday perhaps get an official Oddball and Ricochet return? ;)