3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 49
For me, the main message is this:
It doesn't matter how balanced something is if it's not fun to use, and the current implementation of recoil on the BR makes it not fun to use.

It's one thing to make it more "skillful" by changing the way people have to aim, but it's an entirely other thing to shake the screen so much that it's just a jarring, blurred mess. It looks choppy, clunky and disorienting. Might as well go back to 30 fps and get back split-screen if the game mechanics are going to cover up the smoothness of the game anyway.

That being said, I like the "slower burst" of the BR and that it doesn't laser anymore, but it's just not fun to play.
If 343 isn't going to finish the tuning update, then I don't know what the solution is -- maybe one of the variants would work.

Other than that, the main thing is getting better maps in the rotation. Too many blind corners and hallways, screen lag and just all-round horribly outdated versions of maps that have had much better looking + smoother running versions out for a long time now. At the very least, you could put in the updated versions of the forged maps -- it's not like the creators just abandoned their projects once accepted, most forgers continue to make small improvements over time but they just never see the light of day (this is true of Arena/Slayer playlists too!).

For vehicles, it would be nice to see the banshee actually fixed properly instead of this band-aid work-around with the flip cooldown. Maybe a small cooldown is ok, but it's just way too long right now & the "fix" never actually addressed the main issue with the banshee, in that it's impossible to kill without a full team shot -- which might be ok for competitive BTB, but not in a social playlist. Not that I'm saying 1 person should be able to kill it easily with the BR, but you should at least be able to hurt it a bit. I'm not too sure about the warthog, but overall I just don't feel "threatened" by it -- the damage output is just so weak that I trust any precision weapon to take out the gunner before he can finish me.

Anyway, I'll leave the vehicles to those who have played more than me -- mainly, the thing keeping me away from BTB is the clunky screen shaking and the bad maps.

Edit: Oh, and the lobby issues go without saying. I don't know what changed, but they only continue to get worse. Nearly every time I play, my game glitches out and hangs at least 3 separate times, and it's not just BTB anymore. Seriously, it's bad -- no other AAA game even comes close to how sloppy the menus are in Halo 5, it's just constantly glitching out and getting frozen while waiting on some network traffic that is neither necessary nor available anymore.
I'd like to propose and breakdown my primary recommendation for consideration. But, first here are some key propositions to go along with it.
  1. Advocate to upper management for the necessary resources to address the matchmaking issue that's commonly referred to as the "15/16 glitch". This issue, especially if it really is a glitch, needs to get resolved in some manner sooner rather than later. On top of this I'd include all of the issues that relate to game freezing and other inexplicable player drops.
  2. Noticeably increase the XP payout for the traditional vehicular combat “Battle” playlist. Give it a ton of XP incentive to be played. This should help re-bolster the mid-tier pop.
  3. Maintain, and cater towards, the essential core experience of traditional vehicular combat. It should not become rotational. It’s a big reason to regularly return to playing any Halo title.
  4. Limit the number of permanent Fiesta only playlists to one. Rotate or blend/mix others.
  5. Limit the number of permanent 8v8 playlists to one. Rotate or blend/mix others.
  6. In general try not to triple weight maps within playlists and only double weight with a second (different) mode/variant.
  7. Attempt to ensure Slayer, Multi-CTF, Neutral Bomb, and Strongholds are each pretty equally represented within the traditional vehicular combat playlist. The current BTB playlist is pretty good about this.
  8. Absent another weapon tune occurring any time soon, consider replacing the default H5BR with the Long-Barrel H5BR. The primary reason is because its hip-fire RRR grants the BR a niche area of strength against the more lethal Carbine & Light Rifle. This gives it an actual sandbox mid-range precision role besides just being a loadout utility weapon. And unlike the Stabilization Jets BR or the standard Magnum it's not as effective or efficient beyond its Red-Reticle-Ranges which promotes increased map movement.
  9. Try to schedule regular playlist refreshes on a quarterly or bi-annual rate. They don't need to be massive overhauls all the time. Just simple upkeep and refresh type stuff most often.
My Recommendation:
  • Convert the traditional vehicular combat "Battle" experience from being a social BTB (8v8) playlist into a ranked Squad Battle (6v6) playlist.

I believe the incentives of the ranked environment paired with boosted XP payouts may help it better maintain both its core mid-tier player-base as well as those within the upper tiers. The smaller team size of 6-players should help mitigate some of the quitting concerns within an environment that lacks a limited JiP.

The maps within a Squad Battle playlist wouldn't need to be as large or vehicle heavy which ought to help with map performance and match balance. The focus should be to carefully feature tactical vehicular combat as a pretty important component of the game-play while limiting their ability to snowball a match. Additionally, consider adding team-based shielded garage doors as a means to prevent easy steals of impact vehicles meant for particular teams. This also would go a long way toward limiting the potential for matches to snowball.

Current vehicular maps that I feel would be appropriate for use within this Squad Battle playlist are: Traffic Jam, Scavenger, Eagle Square, Port Authority, Fracture (w/o Mantis), Ancestor (w/o Wraiths), Boulevard, Guillotine, and Seclusion (w/ updated 6v6 spawns). Though, I'd love to see all of these maps receive a face-lift and all sorts of other necessary updates.

Some new considerations might be: Fossil, Crossbow, Enshrined (Entombed re-skin), Krakken, Annexed, Echoes (version 2), and Rat's Nest (remake). Getting new maps is paramount.

Some past considerations for returning with updates: Basin, Antifreeze, and Esturary (w/o Banshees). I'm sure some of these may require some pretty extensive updates.

Creating a ranked Squad Battle playlist would also manage to return non-slayer based objectives to the ranked environment with all spartan abilities enabled. Some of the maps I'll mention (below) for Big Team Super Fiesta could also work here (for Squad Battle) as long as the vehicles within are toned down and limited (for mostly tactical purposes).
  • Convert the current (8v8) Big Team Super Fiesta (BTSF) playlist into a mixed-bag Big Team Fiesta Heavies playlist and then rotate it with Castle Wars*.

This playlist ought to adopt some of the mode-based concepts that were used within the Holiday Fiesta playlist. For example: Super Fiesta, Covenant Fiesta, Forerunner Fiesta, UNSC Fiesta, Sharpshooter Fiesta (aka Snipers), Super Fiesta CTF, Super Fiesta Crazy King (and/or Roaming King), and Super Fiesta Neutral Bomb would make for a good variety of Big Team Fiesta experiences. I could also see in the future adding Single Flag (a 1-sided mode) if the custom community can get it perfected.

The maps within this playlist ought to promote and provide the freedom for truly heavy vehicle use. And adding some non-slayer based objectives should give the vehicles a little more purposeful use which helps re-enforce the "heavy vehicle" aspect on top of the fact that you're getting access to the strongest vehicle variants as well as a random assortment of sandbox items.

Current Big Team maps that I feel are appropriate for use within this playlist are: Altar, Viking, Dispelled, Recurve, Deadlock, and Risen. Though, I'm sure they all could use some updates; plus, perhaps adjusted to support more heavy vehicles.

Some new considerations might be: Pioneer, Descendant, Hinterlands, Coagulation (remake), Avalanche (remake), Containment (remake), Leyline, Sanghelios Trench, Delta Ruins, and Frenzy Arena. Mostly maps that feature more freedom for heavy vehicle use. On a side note, it'd be amazing if you could re-purpose the Warzone maps to function without the AI or the REQ stations in order to be used here as truly huge maps.

Unearthed is a past BTB map that I feel could be an interesting fit here too with it's central elevated crane and because I'm pretty sure it has received some helpful updates since its’ removal.

Due to the popularity of the Fiesta mode within Halo 5 it should be very capable of handling the pop demands of 8v8.

* Also by rotating Castle Wars with this Big Team Fiesta playlist, perhaps 1-week a month (?), you maintain one 8v8 playlist option and you also in-turn allow other popular rotational playlists like Anniversary Throwback, Shotty Snips, H3 Classic Throwback, Roaming Kings, and Action Sack to become featured a little more commonly going forward. I could also see a more traditional Big Team Heavies mode that features the maps from within Big Team Super Fiesta eventually getting the chance to rotate in too.
I'd like to eventually get into some general & detailed thoughts regarding the current maps, but perhaps I'll do that in the future.
Paraphrasing
Isn't it a tiny part of the population?

15/16 glitch?

Mid-tier tiny?

So quit rates bottomed out before when pop was abundant?

It's not a tiny part of the population that can be impacted by bad team balancing. It's trivial to create unfair matches with any subsection of the population by stacking teams, so the team-balancer has to prevent that otherwise lots of quits.

The mid-tier is not tiny, but the largest group. They leak out though without good matchmaking, which they currently do not have. Once we hit a tipping point, this happens.

Quit rates bottom out when matching tightly using TrueSkill2. We can see that because despite the pop, there are sitll a small set of matches every week even today that are tight. We observe bottoming out quit rates in those matches.

Back when pop was abundant, we didn't have TrueSkill2 and we also didn't have a team-balancing pre-check, so we didn't have many good matches according to our current standards. Matchmaking tight on TrueSkill2 leads to consistently much lower quit rates. Matchmaking tightly on the original H5 system does not.

Team-balancing on the original H5 MMR system DID help quit rates a little bit, but our team-balancer back then was not working correctly, so we never reached the potential we needed to drive those quit rates down.

The other type of MMR matchmaking is making sure any given player is not much worse than their opponents. When we minimize this using TrueSkill2, quit rates plummet. When we minimize this type of gap using our old system, it has zero effect.

So, no, we didn't have the ability we have today to manage engagement back when BTB pop was more abundant.

On the other hand, Quick Play was starting to lower, but had not yet met the tipping point. When we switched Quick Play over to TrueSkill2 and correctly configured both TrueSkill2 and the team-balancer, Quick Play's population immediately sky-rocketed.

Now as to the 15/16 problem, we don't have much new info on besides:
  • Once a match is made a specific data center is already chosen so finding a 16th player requires someone who is willing to play on that data center (through how they've chosen Focused / Balanced / Expanded). This significantly shrinks the population.
  • Replacing 1 player requires a player that maintains at least a 60/40 fairness split. This shrinks the population even more.
So if you are a high-tier player and hit 15/16, it's entirely possible there just isn't a 16th player around who can fill that slot, and you just got lucky even getting to the first 16.

Whereas mid-tier will have plenty of players.

I can look into starting w/, e.g., 7v7, but we haven't tried that in a long time, so it would require extensive testing first to make sure it still works the way we expect it to after all the changes since we last used it. That amount of testing alone might be hard given current resources on Infinite.
As someone who'd been knee-deep in customs and Forge maps for years now, I'd like to toss my pennies into the hat in this discussion.

• Starting weapon ideas (though keep in mind we can't change the behavior of specific weapons)
I don't think it's possible to relieve the strain H5 precision weapons but on open air vehicles without the removal of BR/Mag starts. With that in mind, it would be almost crazy to start players with just an AR so I think we gotta settle for AR/BR and let those punches roll.
  • Vehicle gameplay: How do you feel about the Warthog right now? Are there enough larger maps to really enjoy vehicles in general?
I don't think the vehicles themselves are the issue. More so, it's how the maps allow the vehicles to be used which in many cases, is very little. Many of the maps are improperly scaled for vehicle movement and/or lack good layouts for vehicles. To answer the question, there are many larger maps that let vehicles get ample use such as Viking and Scavenger. But there are many maps where vehicles are choked to near uselessness or are very very limited in how they can be used. We're talking Eagle Square and Ancestor for example.

The solution to me is to reduce the number of maps in the playlist that limit vehicle play if you want to increase peoples interactions with vehicles on average while going from game to game.
  • What about mode preferences?
I could be wrong, but is Assault still in rotation? If so, that is the only mode I would ditch. I don't think BTB Assault shines in H5 as it did in previous titles.

I will also toss out that H5 has lacked the BTB Heavies variant that was ultra-popular in previous titles too. BTB is one of Halo's core social modes and Heavies really capitalized on that departure from hardcore competitive balancing. It's just 16 people blowing themselves and everything else up with weapons and vehicles you don't see often. It might be worth exploring.

Personal Suggestions

Part of BTB's issue I feel is it's map list. Simply put, there are too many maps and many of them are not aging well at all in terms of aesthetics and gameplay. As someone who is embedded deep within the Forge community, these feelings are shared very widely too. As Halo 5 gets older, there should be a focus on weeding out the lesser performing maps so the playlist can be boiled to a refined and engaging selection.

With that, I'd like to see the following maps retired from the playlist:
Eagle Square
Boulevard
Traffic Jam
Fracture
Basin
Risin
(sorry if some of these are out already, pulling from master list)

I'd also like to see Entombed by Ducain23 be replaced by the highly enhanced and improved version by Arpod.

That's my very long-winded BTB feedback. I hope it of some use and as always, I appreciate the opportunity we're given to influence the games we play.
Excuse me, are we talking about a specific Halo game or in general?
Well, here's my thoughts so far on Halo 5:

- I think of BR(variant or normal) and Assault Rifle, or DMR and SMG.
- I just have overall bad experiences with vehicles. What I don't like is when you try to hit someone with a warthog or a mongoose, but when you touch them your vehicle flips like if it's made of paper. And yeah, when you jump they feel like in gravity 0. With the Spartan abilities the vehicles don't have meaning to be used except sometimes. This is mostly what I'd like to fix in the game.
- Big Team Fiesta is fantastic, please keep it on forever. It's right for the casual and it's really fun to play.
-I actually would like to see a BTB using only vehicles. you choose the vehicle in your base and if you leave the vehicle you die or get teleported to the base.
ZaedynFel wrote:
I would like to suggest that vehicles are on set timers for every map. Specifically flying ones and heavy vehicles. Entombed was awful with a Wraith that would respawn every 90 seconds, as well as Dispelled having 2 wasps that would respawn just about as fast.
All vehicles are set on timers after their destruction. Typically 3 minutes for banshee, 60, 90, or 2 minutes for ghost, 3 minute wraiths, 2 minute wasps, etc. Do you mean uniformly across all maps they should be the same timing?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
jzm0066 wrote:
Pistol starts. No version of the BR is as fair, satisfying, skillful, or fun as the Magnum. It just doesn't work in this game.
Flying vehicles are also still too strong(wasp).
Are we talking about social BTB? It's suppose to be fun to play. The Magnum is cool and all but it's stressful to use.
Pwner wrote:
No one would want to watch the NBA or NFL if every team was average to below average and the games equally matched. It would be incredibly boring to watch. Hence why the pros and the good players get 90% of the twitch viewership. Do you think people watch Nas on stream to watch him get evenly matched in Warzone? No they watched him because they dominated and destroyed every team they played. Now that 343 took that ability away from them, they have moved on to other games.
We want the stabilization jet BR for BTB, its not op it keeps the slow burst and current red reticle range more consistent and accurate. Please also adress the following issues, matchmakings lobby glitches and wait times. Thank you
Pwner wrote:
Holy wall of text. Maybe if you condensed your thoughts instead of going on a tirade you would get an answer.

Why do you want to pubstomp so badly? Playing against bad players is not fun for anyone involved.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Paraphrasing
Isn't it a tiny part of the population?

15/16 glitch?

Mid-tier tiny?

So quit rates bottomed out before when pop was abundant?

Now as to the 15/16 problem, we don't have much new info on besides:
  • Once a match is made a specific data center is already chosen so finding a 16th player requires someone who is willing to play on that data center (through how they've chosen Focused / Balanced / Expanded). This significantly shrinks the population.
  • Replacing 1 player requires a player that maintains at least a 60/40 fairness split. This shrinks the population even more.
So if you are a high-tier player and hit 15/16, it's entirely possible there just isn't a 16th player around who can fill that slot, and you just got lucky even getting to the first 16.

Whereas mid-tier will have plenty of players.

I can look into starting w/, e.g., 7v7, but we haven't tried that in a long time, so it would require extensive testing first to make sure it still works the way we expect it to after all the changes since we last used it. That amount of testing alone might be hard given current resources on Infinite.
I just wanted to focus here so we can make sure we're talking about the same thing. Most of the time I see this glitch is when I have a team of 8 and one of my fireteam members' game client has locked up. The lobby might not even know to search for a random solo queue player, because their emblem is still showing in the lobby, or their emblem is missing and the frozen fireteam members gets an "Unable to join match in progress" error then it transitions them to a "waiting to join match in progress" screen.

The issue with not enough high MMR solo queue players, we can't fix that - but fixing the game client so we don't lock up randomly should be fixable, it just takes some work. This would ensure that when multiple teams of 8 are queuing, we would be able to get into matches quicker - since teams won't have to dashboard to leave their fireteam member behind
-Add more community made classic maps to the rotation.
-Remove the banshees and replace them with wasps. (Less maneuverable and can be counter by small arms fire.)
-Keep BTB Fiesta on the playlists.
-Maybe add a ranked version on Arena
-Fix the balancing system where it doesn't constantly stack high tiers against low tiers.
For me, the main message is this:
It doesn't matter how balanced something is if it's not fun to use, and the current implementation of recoil on the BR makes it not fun to use.

It's one thing to make it more "skillful" by changing the way people have to aim, but it's an entirely other thing to shake the screen so much that it's just a jarring, blurred mess. It looks choppy, clunky and disorienting. Might as well go back to 30 fps and get back split-screen if the game mechanics are going to cover up the smoothness of the game anyway.

That being said, I like the "slower burst" of the BR and that it doesn't laser anymore, but it's just not fun to play.
If 343 isn't going to finish the tuning update, then I don't know what the solution is -- maybe one of the variants would work.

Other than that, the main thing is getting better maps in the rotation. Too many blind corners and hallways, screen lag and just all-round horribly outdated versions of maps that have had much better looking + smoother running versions out for a long time now. At the very least, you could put in the updated versions of the forged maps -- it's not like the creators just abandoned their projects once accepted, most forgers continue to make small improvements over time but they just never see the light of day (this is true of Arena/Slayer playlists too!).

For vehicles, it would be nice to see the banshee actually fixed properly instead of this band-aid work-around with the flip cooldown. Maybe a small cooldown is ok, but it's just way too long right now & the "fix" never actually addressed the main issue with the banshee, in that it's impossible to kill without a full team shot -- which might be ok for competitive BTB, but not in a social playlist. Not that I'm saying 1 person should be able to kill it easily with the BR, but you should at least be able to hurt it a bit. I'm not too sure about the warthog, but overall I just don't feel "threatened" by it -- the damage output is just so weak that I trust any precision weapon to take out the gunner before he can finish me.

Anyway, I'll leave the vehicles to those who have played more than me -- mainly, the thing keeping me away from BTB is the clunky screen shaking and the bad maps.

Edit: Oh, and the lobby issues go without saying. I don't know what changed, but they only continue to get worse. Nearly every time I play, my game glitches out and hangs at least 3 separate times, and it's not just BTB anymore. Seriously, it's bad -- no other AAA game even comes close to how sloppy the menus are in Halo 5, it's just constantly glitching out and getting frozen while waiting on some network traffic that is neither necessary nor available anymore.
I agree, the H5 BR after the weapons tuning made it very close to useless in a ranged firefight. The sights are huge as well.
Honestly, I'd remove sprint from BTB so that it would encourage more Vehicle gameplay. I feel that many people avoid vehicles because they can run super fast. Also, maybe replace the BR with the H2 BR, and slow down the reloading animation.
I'd like to try magnum/AR starts. I used to play a ton of BTB until the BR nerf, that took the fun out if it for me.

As far as vehicles go I'm fine with them in the game but do less. For example I think two ghosts, two mantises, and 2 hogs are too much on Fracture. Maybe just do the ghosts. I feel the maps are way too small to have all these vehicles everywhere. Another example is Dispelled. I haven't played in a long time but I believe there's 2 wasps, 2 ghosts, 2 hogs, and 2 tanks. That literally gives half the entire lobby a vehicle. The amount of vehicles in this mode would be maybe fine if the maps were 2-3 times bigger. The size and the way they're designed now, they feel more like infantry maps that can allow a very tiny amount of vehicles. I say at least half the amount of vehicles across the board, in some maps cases reduced even more.

I'm good with the modes.

Side note: bring back Altar and Basin
Oh I've been waiting for this thread! I will try to keep my responses short and concise.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Are there enough larger maps to really enjoy vehicles in general?
No. Some of them are a good size for vehicles, such as Valhalla, but Halo 5's BTB has desperately needed more large, open vehicle-friendly maps since the beginning. Please do not refresh BTB with more maps like Port Authority and Eagle Square that only have a Ghost+Warthog for vehicles, and barely any space to use them.

If people want to play a game mode with cramped hallways and a dearth of vehicle play, they would go to Slayer. BTB should be about vehicle play. If people feel like certain vehicles such as Wasps and Phaetons are "too powerful" for BTB, then add counters to them on the maps, rather than toning down the vehicle play.
ZaedynFel wrote:
What about mode preferences?
BTB Heavies. It could fill a niche for a game mode in Halo 5 that has the large, open maps and abundance of powerful weapons and vehicles of Warzone, but with equal starts and more traditional BTB gameplay mechanics. Heavies has always proven to be popular since its debut, hasn't it? Hearing about the return of Heavies would probably bring at least some players back into Halo 5.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Don't just think about what you personally would like, think about what would make the playlist popular to a broad audience, while still being enjoyable for you.
I genuinely think my suggestions would be popular among the core playerbase, as it's been consistently shown that game modes with more heavy vehicle play (i.e. Warzone and Big Team Super Fiesta) are more popular than a BTB in which it's a rare experience to use a heavy vehicle or power weapon, or even any weapon besides loadouts.
I could be wrong, but is Assault still in rotation? If so, that is the only mode I would ditch. I don't think BTB Assault shines in H5 as it did in previous titles.
I disagree here. Neutral Bomb has always been a terrific BTB mode (regardless to title) given the map. Within Halo 5, Neutral Bomb on Echoes is easily one of my favorite experiences. And I'd love to experience Neutral Bomb on Echoes v2. I also find it to be a pretty solid experience on Deadlock, Fracture, Viking, Dispelled, Traffic Jam, and Eagle Square even if I don't think they're as good as Neutral Bomb on Echoes. I happen to think Basin would have been another alright map for Neutral Bomb.
Quote:
I will also toss out that H5 has lacked the BTB Heavies variant that was ultra-popular in previous titles too.
Ultra-popular? It was definitely liked in Halo 3, but I don't know about ultra-popular. It seemed to be a niche taste that many people appreciated when it became available. It did seem a bit more popular in Reach; in fact, I think this is where it might have been most popular. I don't recall Halo 4 or Halo 2 having a Big Team Heavies mode, but then again Halo 2 had three maps naturally include heavy vehicular combat.
Quote:
BTB is one of Halo's core social modes and Heavies really capitalized on that departure from hardcore competitive balancing. It's just 16 people blowing themselves and everything else up with weapons and vehicles you don't see often. It might be worth exploring.
I do agree, but I think Big Team Super Fiesta (BTSF) already pretty much provides a similar experience without necessarily having to seek out heavy weapons as map pick-ups. The random weapon spawns however ensure it remains a very social experience.
Quote:
Part of BTB's issue I feel is it's map list. Simply put, there are too many maps and many of them are not aging well at all in terms of aesthetics and gameplay. As someone who is embedded deep within the Forge community, these feelings are shared very widely too. As Halo 5 gets older, there should be a focus on weeding out the lesser performing maps so the playlist can be boiled to a refined and engaging selection.

With that, I'd like to see the following maps retired from the playlist:
Eagle Square
Boulevard
Traffic Jam
Fracture
Basin
Risin

I'd also like to see Entombed by Ducain23 be replaced by the highly enhanced and improved version by Arpod.
I don't agree that there are too many maps or that the playlist should be boiled down to a select few options. I like the deep variety and diversity of maps within the BTB playlist. I feel it's a strength of the playlist. However, I do agree several, if not all, could use an aesthetic update and modifications.

I also feel you've selected some of the better game-play maps. In my opinion, Traffic Jam, Eagle Square, and Basin are some of the better game-play maps and like Basin, which was removed a long time ago, it'd be a shame to see them taken out.

I would love to see Enshrined (the re-skinned Entombed) replace Entombed.
Here’s my feedback:
Loadout start:
LONG BARREL BR replacing BR
The long barrel attachment basically brings back the old BRs reticle range. However, the rifle will not be too powerful like it was becuase of the vertical recoil. So the gun will be good in it’s intended range but not be a laser like its old counterpart.

In terms of maps. We should have new maps and new modes from the community.
I've posted some of this feedback on Twitter, but Josh made it clear that the forums was where to do it, so I'll reiterate some of the points I made there, and expand on them a little further.

Issue #1: Starting weapons

The BR nerf we saw a while back made the weapon inconsistent at greater range. While I'm an advocate of having weapons that are difficult to crossmap with, the BR isn't hard to crossmap with, it's just not viable. In most precision weapons, it's difficult because of the lack of aim assist/red reticle at range, but the BR has recoil that's impossible to counteract. This makes it frustrating to pressure vehicles like warthogs or ghosts because most of then are able to escape or close the gap before it's even possible to have a chance to take them down. It's also near impossible to kill a sniper who has some awareness. I've resorted to dropping the BR for ANYTHING I can find of the map. I even prefer the AR to it and have more success with it. To summarize, team shooting is required to get acceptable results with the BR, and therefore, it has become even more frustrating to search solo in a mode that premade teams of 8 dominate.

Solution? Changing the starting loadout to have either a Stabilization BR (warzone variant) to retain the lack of aim assist of the BR at range, but bullet which fire straight again (in essence, the prepatch BR with reduced Rate of Fire and reduce aim assists) OR use the standard Magnum we use in other default modes -- once again less aim assists, difficult to use at range, but not just impossible.

Issue #2: Lack of smaller maps

A lot of the maps seem to be vehicle-focused, which is good for a BTB experience, but there's also a clear lack of
maps that aren't based on vehicles.

Examples: Antifreeze, Basin, Deadlock, Boulevard, etc. are all maps that have vehicles and are worth using but not needed for the flow of the game. Think of vehicles like Mongooses, Ghosts, Warthogs, but NOT Scorpions, Wasps and Mantises. There is a lack of these maps. In fact I'd argue the vehicle usage should be toned down, in particular on Dispelled which has two tanks and two wasps, but questionable counters to those.

Issue #3: Some maps should just be revisited

Basin used to be a great map with a classic BTB feel that shouldn't have been removed, even though Echoes it's supposed to be its spiritual successor. Emtombed needs to be updated or revisted altogether because as good of a remake it is, it doesn't have the greatest flow in Halo 5. Dispelled has excess of vehicles with a severe lack of counters to them. Port Authority is a fun map that suffers a lot from frame rate issues, etc.

Random suggestion: Consider adding Big Team Snipers.

Thanks for reading!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 49