1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What was the purpose for breakout? It seemed like it would be the competitive thing in halo 5 or the original breakout but that wasn't the case so what Id it's purpose as a ranked or as a game type?
They keep it in the game because they don't want to admit it was a failure.
I enjoyed Breakout. Even more before the update honestly, but it's still a novel game mode.
Probably man. I honestly don't know what to think about it.
Breakout reminds me a lot of older FPS titles where you had one life per round and you had to kill the enemy team or complete the objective (which is capturing the flag). And speaking from personal experience, it's also really easy to land a nice Diamond (or even an Onyx) ranking in Breakout.
Before the update, Breakout was basically just waiting around for someone to stick their head out or get caught in the open. Capping the flag was pointless since grabbing it in any circumstance other than your team having more players than the other was a death sentence. Even more so since you had to walk to the enemy's base where they'd be waiting on you. Also, being that there was no shields, it was far easier to kill the other team than even consider grabbing the flag. I liked to call it a glorified Swat game with one life.

After the update, now the flag can actually be a factor in games since you can be bring it back to your base. It's not so much a map ornament. Grabbing the flag also forces the other team to act, which benefits yours most of the time. They probably could have stayed with SMG starts instead of going to the Shotgun, but that change is neither here nor there for me. Either way, this version is basically just CTF with one life.

In both versions, it's pretty campy which sucks the competitiveness right out of the game type. After all, you only have one life to burn per round, and standing around waiting for someone to walk by you and taking them by surprise is far smarter than roaming the map and having the same thing done to you. The downside being, though, lots of stagnant game play.
Probably man. I honestly don't know what to think about it.
It's only still in the game because commendations are attached to it.

Before the starting weapons update I regularly played breakout in my rotation. When they scrapped all the launch maps, and started everyone with shotguns, I completely lost interest in it.
I actually think it's pretty fun, it's my favorite ranked gamemode, mostly because of the lack of frustration in it.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Breakout reminds me a lot of older FPS titles where you had one life per round and you had to kill the enemy team or complete the objective (which is capturing the flag). And speaking from personal experience, it's also really easy to land a nice Diamond (or even an Onyx) ranking in Breakout.
I got ranked silver because I kept getting betrayed for and shot in the face by my teammate with a shotgun. Not fun.
Limeshake wrote:
I actually think it's pretty fun, it's my favorite ranked gamemode, mostly because of the lack of frustration in it.
I find it the most frustrating. Especially since I seem to run into Smurfs or players teamed up with lower ranks to help them boost. Also it's one of the least ranks based on skill out of all the playlists. I only play it in the hopes of finishing those last few commendations, and even then I can only stand a few games in a row.

I can't believe it was part of HCS, and the pros had to beg to get it removed.

I don't play too many other games online. Is this game type similar to any other popular matchmaking games? It wouldn't surprise me if they added it because it was popular somewhere else. We already know that we have Sprint and Spartan Charge because it was popular in other games.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:
I find it the most frustrating. Especially since I seem to run into Smurfs or players teamed up with lower ranks to help them boost. Also it's one of the least ranks based on skill out of all the playlists. I only play it in the hopes of finishing those last few commendations, and even then I can only stand a few games in a row.

I don't play too many other games online. Is this game type similar to any other popular matchmaking games? It wouldn't surprise me if they added it because it was popular somewhere else. We already know that we have Sprint and Spartan Charge because it was popular in other games.
Smurf aren't so frustating unless if you're a high level, what level are you? I don't see why people don't like it, it's fun as long as you aren't grinding it. I also hate advanced movement, but at least it seems more original in H5 than H4...
Limeshake wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:

Smurf aren't so frustating unless if you're a high level, what level are you? I don't see why people don't like it, it's fun as long as you aren't grinding it. I also hate advanced movement, but at least it seems more original in H5 than H4...
I don't even remember what rank I was the last time I played it. And who gives a toss if you're high rank or not. Do you even know what a Smurf is? It's going to affect lower ranks more because a Smurf is designed to play in the lower ranks.

And what is original about the advanced movement? I hate to break it to ya but none of the Spartan Abilities are original. They were all "copied" from other games, and used because they were popular.
Elimination game types are for people who enjoy watching someone else's hud more than they do playing the game.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:

I don't even remember what rank I was the last time I played it. And who gives a toss if you're high rank or not. Do you even know what a Smurf is? It's going to affect lower ranks more because a Smurf is designed to play in the lower ranks.

And what is original about the advanced movement? I hate to break it to ya but none of the Spartan Abilities are original. They were all "copied" from other games, and used because they were popular.
I do know what a smurf is, I'm not stupid. I'm saying it doesn't affect high level players as much. I never said it was original, I said it was more original than H4. I highlighted the parts you criticized me on since you obviously did not read it or weren't paying attention.
Limeshake wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:

I do know what a smurf is, I'm not stupid. I'm saying it doesn't affect high level players as much. I never said it was original, I said it was more original than H4. I highlighted the parts you criticized me on since you obviously did not read it or weren't paying attention.
You know something you're right. I wasn't paying attention and was reading it too fast before I posted. I apologize for that. It bothers me when others do it so I really don't like it that I did that.

I don't know about Smurf's being more frustrating for high levels since I am not there. Last season I ended Gold 5, but I I still say that lower levels are more affected by Smurfs. If you are low level ranked and run into a smurf that is a legit Diamond, Onyx or Champ there is no hope of putting up a fight, but if you are higher level than you might stand a chance. There have been so many times that I have finally broke into the next rank like Gold to Plat, or right now in Team Arena (a.k.a. Weapons Tuning) where I was close to breaking into Diamond for the first time; only to get decimated by teams running with Smurfs. That is so incredibly frustrating that I have really had to change my idea of how much my rank matters.

And I still don't agree that the Spartan Abilities are more original in H5 than H4. I think is about the same degree of taking from other games in both halo 4 & 5, although we at least have a former 343 employee at the GDC laying out how Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, and Sprint were used because they are being used in other games. I don't know how many aspects of Halo 4 were taken from other games, but I think by now most of us understand that it was quite a few.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Limeshake wrote:

You know something you're right. I wasn't paying attention and was reading it too fast before I posted. I apologize for that. It bothers me when others do it so I really don't like it that I did that.

I don't know about Smurf's being more frustrating for high levels since I am not there. Last season I ended Gold 5, but I I still say that lower levels are more affected by Smurfs. If you are low level ranked and run into a smurf that is a legit Diamond, Onyx or Champ there is no hope of putting up a fight, but if you are higher level than you might stand a chance. There have been so many times that I have finally broke into the next rank like Gold to Plat, or right now in Team Arena (a.k.a. Weapons Tuning) where I was close to breaking into Diamond for the first time; only to get decimated by teams running with Smurfs. That is so incredibly frustrating that I have really had to change my idea of how much my rank matters.

And I still don't agree that the Spartan Abilities are more original in H5 than H4. I think is about the same degree of taking from other games in both halo 4 & 5, although we at least have a former 343 employee at the GDC laying out how Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, and Sprint were used because they are being used in other games. I don't know how many aspects of Halo 4 were taken from other games, but I think by now most of us understand that it was quite a few.
Yeah I get where you're coming from, most of my friends that play H5 are below level 75, and it frustrates them too. It takes away the feeling of thinking low level players are just good, I don't think level ten people can get Killionaires if they truely aren't a smurf. I do believe H5 did take from aspects from other games but I'm glad it didn't have loadouts and ordnance drops, those felt so uninspired and I hated loudouts.
Original Breakout was hands-down the best thing that 343i has done since inception.
Elimination game types are for people who enjoy watching someone else's hud more than they do playing the game.
(sorry for the double post but I just read this)

You only spectate when you die. Stop dying.
l38151337 wrote:

If you've ever got through a game of Breakout without dying then my hat is off to you. I haven't, and standing around doing nothing is not my idea of a fun match. Not very many other people's either, so it would seem.
l38151337 wrote:
If you've ever got through a game of Breakout without dying then my hat is off to you. I haven't, and standing around doing nothing is not my idea of a fun match. Not very many other people's either, so it would seem.
Original Breakout emphasized positioning more than other games types due to the quick kills times, lack of respawn, and map design. It is hard at first. And this, I believe, is why it was unpopular. The more difficult gametypes are always the least popular ones, because they require more skill and focus than the majority of players care to invest. Many run in haphazardly, die, and are bored because they are spectating when they just want to run in an die (read: try and get more kills) again.

There is a level of responsibility that I think a lot of players aren't comfortably with. And that's fine. There is still every other gamemode for those players. But those of us that enjoyed the Original Breakout? We're beat. We've got nothing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2