Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Coliseum - Summer Preview Feedback

OP Forum Team

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
Coliseum

Please provide feedback on the Team Arena Summer Preview settings in this thread! To read up on the Team Arena Summer Preview playlist and find links to all other dedicated feedback threads, head here.

Over the past few months, we’ve been gathering your feedback on Arena map weapon layouts here on Waypoint, and we’ve made a variety of refresh updates to a select set of Arena map / game type combinations in Team Arena.

For Coliseum, the following changes have been made:

Version 1
  • SMGs moved out of Oven/Fridge locations to Bottom Red/Blue
  • Battle Rifles removed in favor of Boltshots
  • Sniper Rifle moved to Yellow Tower
  • Rocket Launcher moved to Green Tower
  • Carbine is added to the old Suppressor location at Yellow Tower
  • Removal of four Frag Grenades and overall reshuffling of grenade placement
  • Added cover at Yellow Tower
Version 2
  • Replaced the DMR with a Plasma grenade
  • Replaced the Boltshot with the DMR
  • Moved the Boltshot to Red/Blue Cave
Version 3
  • Sniper Rifle moved to Green Tower
  • Rocket Launcher moved to Yellow Tower
  • Battle Rifle replaces Suppressor in grassy area next to Lift at Green Tower
  • Suppressor moves to Top Mid/Top Catwalk
Thank you! We look forward to hearing your feedback.
These are the changes for Empire, you might want to get that fixed :)

My Coliseum Feedback:
  • Sniper-Rocket swap is interesting. To be honest I think the Sniper there is a decent meta mixup and will play in unique ways, but Rockets on Green side might be a bit snowball-y. Once again, I’m going to have to play it out.
  • BR Removal: Amazing
  • Nade Placements: Mostly Amazing (not a fan of the Splinters on Fridge/Oven Steps)
  • Carbine + Cover: Seems like a positive change to me, I like it so far and it makes Yellow side a bit stronger to counter the strength of Green (Rockets)
  • SMG Movement: Fantastic
PUT THE BR BACK ON THE MAP!!!!!!
I like the Changes overall except the switch between sniper>Rockets.

Snipes belong in Green and Rockets Yellow.
Quote:
Please provide feedback on the Team Arena Summer Preview settings in this thread! To read up on the Team Arena Summer Preview playlist and find links to all other dedicated feedback threads, head here.

Over the past few months, we’ve been gathering your feedback on Arena map weapon layouts here on Waypoint, and we’ve made a variety of refresh updates to a select set of Arena map / game type combinations in Team Arena.

For Coliseum, the following changes have been made:
  • Storm Rifles removed and replaced with Boltshots
  • SMGs moved from Red/Blue Platform to inside Red/Blue Base
  • Overshield moved to Tower Two
  • Plasma Pistol moved to Mid
  • Removal of four Frag grenades and two Plasma grenades
  • Reshuffling of grenade placement
  • Battle Rifles removed
  • Removed DMR at Tower 3 and placed one at each of the Red/Blue Platforms
  • (CTF) Closed the front windows to Red/Blue Base to slow down CTF gameplay and fortify each base
  • (CTF) SPNKr Rocket Launcher replaces the Plasma Caster at the Outside location
  • (CTF) Shotgun moves to Tower One
  • (Strongholds only) Scattershot moves to Pit
  • (Strongholds only) Moved Stronghold location: Pit -> Outside
Thank you! We look forward to hearing your feedback.
Is this posted in the wrong thread? this sounds like Empire.
Keep BR on map
RyInfinity wrote:
  • BR Removal: Amazing
What?? I don't understand this response. I think I visit the Halo forums about once every 3 years and the only reason I logged back on today was to say:

PUT THE BR BACK!!!

Is there really a ton of people that hate the BR as much as Aboveinfinity? I'm kind of mind blown that people would hate the BR
Removing BR's from maps makes for very poor gameplay, and forcing us to play with unpreferred weapons makes it downright frustrating. But something isn't right with the changes listed, because DMR has been in the bases for a very long time, and there is no Overshield or Tower Two. Also, why swap the rockets and sniper? Moving stuff around does not make for fresh gameplay, it only makes for a frustrating user experience. For things to be fresh, we need new maps and gametypes.

Quote:
For Coliseum, the following changes have been made:
  • Storm Rifles removed and replaced with Boltshots
  • SMGs moved from Red/Blue Platform to inside Red/Blue Base
  • Overshield moved to Tower Two
  • Plasma Pistol moved to Mid
  • Removal of four Frag grenades and two Plasma grenades
  • Reshuffling of grenade placement
  • Battle Rifles removed
  • Removed DMR at Tower 3 and placed one at each of the Red/Blue Platforms
  • (CTF) Closed the front windows to Red/Blue Base to slow down CTF gameplay and fortify each base
  • (CTF) SPNKr Rocket Launcher replaces the Plasma Caster at the Outside location
  • (CTF) Shotgun moves to Tower One
  • (Strongholds only) Scattershot moves to Pit
  • (Strongholds only) Moved Stronghold location: Pit -> Outside
Thank you! We look forward to hearing your feedback.
McValuFry wrote:
RyInfinity wrote:
  • BR Removal: Amazing
What?? I don't understand this response. I think I visit the Halo forums about once every 3 years and the only reason I logged back on today was to say:

PUT THE BR BACK!!!

Is there really a ton of people that hate the BR as much as Aboveinfinity? I'm kind of mind blown that people would hate the BR
I can explain this because there seems to be a major misconception and circle jerk developing regarding BRs on Arena maps so let me elaborate.

The Utility Weapon (Magnum) is supposed to be the definitive go-to weapon in an Arena shooter, a player should always be able to trust that they can competently engage other players using their utility and not be at a significant disadvantage. In the Vanilla Halo 5 maps, there were A LOT of Tier 1 Weapons (SMGs, DMRs, Light Rifles, BRs, Storm Rifles, etc.) and because of this, the utility weapon was rarely used.

By picking up a BR on a map, you automatically received a very powerful upgrade that puts you at an advantage against people who are spawning and trying to fight with their Magnum. This created a lot of lopsided gunfights (BR vs. Magnum, SMG vs. Magnum, Storm Rifle vs. Magnum). The utility rarely could stand a chance. By cutting down on the amount of Tier 1 Weapons (removing BRs in some cases), it promotes the utility weapon which is a more skill oriented weapon and leaves people on a more level playing field.

Now that isn't to say that the BR should just be removed entirely, that isn't what we want. Weapons like the DMR and BR do serve a purpose in the sandbox, and that is to provide a boost to range and/or a slight boost to damage. For example, Snipedown from Evil Geniuses is an 'anchor' or a 'sniper' style of Slayer, he has great positioning and therefore often uses weapons like the DMR to help his teammates out at range. But on Coliseum, the BRs don't support this role, they are simply clutter that cause randomness and inconsistency in gunfights.

An example of a perfect placement of the BR is P2, where you can use it to go P3 and get a slight boost to range and damage by using the weapon. It's a small upgrade for earning control of the Pink Tower. BRs still exist on Tyrant, Plaza, Rig, Truth, Eden, and more. It isn't like they are outlawing them entirely.

They simply are cutting down on the clutter that existed in certain maps and promoting use of the Pistol and other niche weapons.

Hope this makes sense!
Biostasis2 wrote:
PUT THE BR BACK ON THE MAP!!!!!!
Agree 100000%. Absolutely ridiculous. Why would they remove this? Halo has always been mostly about precision kills but the noobs still have multiple other methods to counter this. Why give them even more?
Bring the BR back!
RyInfinity wrote:
McValuFry wrote:
RyInfinity wrote:
  • BR Removal: Amazing
What?? I don't understand this response. I think I visit the Halo forums about once every 3 years and the only reason I logged back on today was to say:

PUT THE BR BACK!!!

Is there really a ton of people that hate the BR as much as Aboveinfinity? I'm kind of mind blown that people would hate the BR
I can explain this because there seems to be a major misconception and circle jerk developing regarding BRs on Arena maps so let me elaborate.

The Utility Weapon (Magnum) is supposed to be the definitive go-to weapon in an Arena shooter, a player should always be able to trust that they can competently engage other players using their utility and not be at a significant disadvantage. In the Vanilla Halo 5 maps, there were A LOT of Tier 1 Weapons (SMGs, DMRs, Light Rifles, BRs, Storm Rifles, etc.) and because of this, the utility weapon was rarely used.

By picking up a BR on a map, you automatically received a very powerful upgrade that puts you at an advantage against people who are spawning and trying to fight with their Magnum. This created a lot of lopsided gunfights (BR vs. Magnum, SMG vs. Magnum, Storm Rifle vs. Magnum). The utility rarely could stand a chance. By cutting down on the amount of Tier 1 Weapons (removing BRs in some cases), it promotes the utility weapon which is a more skill oriented weapon and leaves people on a more level playing field.

Now that isn't to say that the BR should just be removed entirely, that isn't what we want. Weapons like the DMR and BR do serve a purpose in the sandbox, and that is to provide a boost to range and/or a slight boost to damage. For example, Snipedown from Evil Geniuses is an 'anchor' or a 'sniper' style of Slayer, he has great positioning and therefore often uses weapons like the DMR to help his teammates out at range. But on Coliseum, the BRs don't support this role, they are simply clutter that cause randomness and inconsistency in gunfights.

An example of a perfect placement of the BR is P2, where you can use it to go P3 and get a slight boost to range and damage by using the weapon. It's a small upgrade for earning control of the Pink Tower. BRs still exist on Tyrant, Plaza, Rig, Truth, Eden, and more. It isn't like they are outlawing them entirely.

They simply are cutting down on the clutter that existed in certain maps and promoting use of the Pistol and other niche weapons.

Hope this makes sense!
You seem to be the fellow with the misconception my friend. We totally understand that the pistol is your default weapon. What we are saying is that we basically dont want to be forced to use it just because its your default weapon.

If you dont want to be at a disadvantage with the pistol, then find a different weapon. The whole point of this is to have options. Thats like saying "the sniper puts the pistol at a disadvantage, take it out." If you dont want to be at a disadvantage from a BR, THEN PICK UP A BR!

I know I dont speak for everybody, but I for one do not want to be forced to use the pistol just so I can get precision headshots. You act like a BR is a power weapon but its not. Its just a solid precision weapon.

You say the BR just adds clutter, I say the boltshot they replaced it with adds clutter and doesnt go with the flow of the map. This is arena. Arena/ranked playlists always has been and should continue to be about precision weapons such as the LR, the Carbine, the BR, and the DMR.

If you dont want to go up against these weapons then you probably belong in social slayer. Arena is the only form of a "BR/DMR Start" that we have. If you are going to ruin Arena by removing the weapons that serious/competitive players consider to be the bread and butter of halo, then at least give us our own playlist with BR or DMR starts.
Keep BRs on the old BR spawn, take the added cover off, I like the SMGS under the base. Everything else sucks.
Bring the BR back!
RyInfinity wrote:
McValuFry wrote:
RyInfinity wrote:
  • BR Removal: Amazing
What?? I don't understand this response. I think I visit the Halo forums about once every 3 years and the only reason I logged back on today was to say:

PUT THE BR BACK!!!

Is there really a ton of people that hate the BR as much as Aboveinfinity? I'm kind of mind blown that people would hate the BR
I can explain this because there seems to be a major misconception and circle jerk developing regarding BRs on Arena maps so let me elaborate.

The Utility Weapon (Magnum) is supposed to be the definitive go-to weapon in an Arena shooter, a player should always be able to trust that they can competently engage other players using their utility and not be at a significant disadvantage. In the Vanilla Halo 5 maps, there were A LOT of Tier 1 Weapons (SMGs, DMRs, Light Rifles, BRs, Storm Rifles, etc.) and because of this, the utility weapon was rarely used.

By picking up a BR on a map, you automatically received a very powerful upgrade that puts you at an advantage against people who are spawning and trying to fight with their Magnum. This created a lot of lopsided gunfights (BR vs. Magnum, SMG vs. Magnum, Storm Rifle vs. Magnum). The utility rarely could stand a chance. By cutting down on the amount of Tier 1 Weapons (removing BRs in some cases), it promotes the utility weapon which is a more skill oriented weapon and leaves people on a more level playing field.

Now that isn't to say that the BR should just be removed entirely, that isn't what we want. Weapons like the DMR and BR do serve a purpose in the sandbox, and that is to provide a boost to range and/or a slight boost to damage. For example, Snipedown from Evil Geniuses is an 'anchor' or a 'sniper' style of Slayer, he has great positioning and therefore often uses weapons like the DMR to help his teammates out at range. But on Coliseum, the BRs don't support this role, they are simply clutter that cause randomness and inconsistency in gunfights.

An example of a perfect placement of the BR is P2, where you can use it to go P3 and get a slight boost to range and damage by using the weapon. It's a small upgrade for earning control of the Pink Tower. BRs still exist on Tyrant, Plaza, Rig, Truth, Eden, and more. It isn't like they are outlawing them entirely.

They simply are cutting down on the clutter that existed in certain maps and promoting use of the Pistol and other niche weapons.

Hope this makes sense!
You seem to be the fellow with the misconception my friend. We totally understand that the pistol is your default weapon. What we are saying is that we basically dont want to be forced to use it just because its your default weapon.

If you dont want to be at a disadvantage with the pistol, then find a different weapon. The whole point of this is to have options. Thats like saying "the sniper puts the pistol at a disadvantage, take it out." If you dont want to be at a disadvantage from a BR, THEN PICK UP A BR!

I know I dont speak for everybody, but I for one do not want to be forced to use the pistol just so I can get precision headshots. You act like a BR is a power weapon but its not. Its just a solid precision weapon.

You say the BR just adds clutter, I say the boltshot they replaced it with adds clutter and doesnt go with the flow of the map. This is arena. Arena/ranked playlists always has been and should continue to be about precision weapons such as the LR, the Carbine, the BR, and the DMR.

If you dont want to go up against these weapons then you probably belong in social slayer. Arena is the only form of a "BR/DMR Start" that we have. If you are going to ruin Arena by removing the weapons that serious/competitive players consider to be the bread and butter of halo, then at least give us our own playlist with BR or DMR starts.
I'm not going to get into an essay based debate because it seems that I couldn't convince you so I'll boil it down to basics and then be on my way.

  1. It isn't as simple as "just go pick up a BR". At the highest level of skill, Halo 5 is an extremely fast paced game that demands players to be constantly applying pressure and moving with their teammates. If you get a Red Elbow spawn and your teammates are ready to move in for a Flag/Bomb push, you can't say "wait guys let me go pick up my BR so I can actually stand a chance against other enemies". The game requires players to constantly put damage on opponents and be able to win gunfights at all times. At the lower level of play, I agree, it is quite simple to just pick up your weapon of choice but the game needs to be refined to a tee at the highest echelon of skill before it can observed at a lower level.
  2. The misconception with the Boltshot is the illusion that "the gun is easy because it aims for you". The Boltshot is a precision weapon just like any other, the only nuance is that it doesn't require headshots. As a tradeoff for this bonus, it utilizes extremely slow moving projectiles that can bump into geometry or miss players entirely if they thrust or dodge them. The Boltshot is not a "noob" weapon, it requires a different level of thinking than other weapons and the tracking projectiles confuse people into believing it is extremely user-friendly. Plus, they aren't even that strong so they don't detract from the importance of Utility Weapon gunfights that I stressed in my post.
  3. You're looking at the sandbox in a very linear way. I too believe that the sandbox is very balanced and that all of the rifles and automatics serve very satisfying roles, but that doesn't mean that they should all be shoved on every map. Map layouts and sandbox balance go hand in hand and the selection and placement of weapon locations must be carefully chosen.
  4. And finally, when you are referring to Arena being for competitive hardcore Halo action, I'm well aware of that. I've reached low-mid level Onyx ranks each season and enjoy the game a lot as it is, but I've always felt that changes needed to be made regarding the frequency of weapons on Arena maps, and it appears the dev team agreed with those concepts.
BR removal is EPIC!*

*Add in the Classic Halo 2 BR instead please

Also I love the other changes, especially snipe rocket swap!
Smg new location is cool.
Carbine would be interesting.
Power weapon switch is worth testing.

Every other change sucks and plays bad.
Quit ruining good game play.
please put sniper back on sniper side and rockets at rockets. Not only does it throw the map off, it completely changes callouts. idc that much about losing the BR, but quit trying to make me use the bolt shot, this is Arena, the closest we have to a competitive playlist. quit trying to change things when we are just getting used too them
RyInfinity wrote:
Bring the BR back!
RyInfinity wrote:
McValuFry wrote:
RyInfinity wrote:
  • BR Removal: Amazing
What?? I don't understand this response. I think I visit the Halo forums about once every 3 years and the only reason I logged back on today was to say:

PUT THE BR BACK!!!

Is there really a ton of people that hate the BR as much as Aboveinfinity? I'm kind of mind blown that people would hate the BR
I can explain this because there seems to be a major misconception and circle jerk developing regarding BRs on Arena maps so let me elaborate.

The Utility Weapon (Magnum) is supposed to be the definitive go-to weapon in an Arena shooter, a player should always be able to trust that they can competently engage other players using their utility and not be at a significant disadvantage. In the Vanilla Halo 5 maps, there were A LOT of Tier 1 Weapons (SMGs, DMRs, Light Rifles, BRs, Storm Rifles, etc.) and because of this, the utility weapon was rarely used.

By picking up a BR on a map, you automatically received a very powerful upgrade that puts you at an advantage against people who are spawning and trying to fight with their Magnum. This created a lot of lopsided gunfights (BR vs. Magnum, SMG vs. Magnum, Storm Rifle vs. Magnum). The utility rarely could stand a chance. By cutting down on the amount of Tier 1 Weapons (removing BRs in some cases), it promotes the utility weapon which is a more skill oriented weapon and leaves people on a more level playing field.

Now that isn't to say that the BR should just be removed entirely, that isn't what we want. Weapons like the DMR and BR do serve a purpose in the sandbox, and that is to provide a boost to range and/or a slight boost to damage. For example, Snipedown from Evil Geniuses is an 'anchor' or a 'sniper' style of Slayer, he has great positioning and therefore often uses weapons like the DMR to help his teammates out at range. But on Coliseum, the BRs don't support this role, they are simply clutter that cause randomness and inconsistency in gunfights.

An example of a perfect placement of the BR is P2, where you can use it to go P3 and get a slight boost to range and damage by using the weapon. It's a small upgrade for earning control of the Pink Tower. BRs still exist on Tyrant, Plaza, Rig, Truth, Eden, and more. It isn't like they are outlawing them entirely.

They simply are cutting down on the clutter that existed in certain maps and promoting use of the Pistol and other niche weapons.

Hope this makes sense!
You seem to be the fellow with the misconception my friend. We totally understand that the pistol is your default weapon. What we are saying is that we basically dont want to be forced to use it just because its your default weapon.

If you dont want to be at a disadvantage with the pistol, then find a different weapon. The whole point of this is to have options. Thats like saying "the sniper puts the pistol at a disadvantage, take it out." If you dont want to be at a disadvantage from a BR, THEN PICK UP A BR!

I know I dont speak for everybody, but I for one do not want to be forced to use the pistol just so I can get precision headshots. You act like a BR is a power weapon but its not. Its just a solid precision weapon.

You say the BR just adds clutter, I say the boltshot they replaced it with adds clutter and doesnt go with the flow of the map. This is arena. Arena/ranked playlists always has been and should continue to be about precision weapons such as the LR, the Carbine, the BR, and the DMR.

If you dont want to go up against these weapons then you probably belong in social slayer. Arena is the only form of a "BR/DMR Start" that we have. If you are going to ruin Arena by removing the weapons that serious/competitive players consider to be the bread and butter of halo, then at least give us our own playlist with BR or DMR starts.
I'm not going to get into an essay based debate because it seems that I couldn't convince you so I'll boil it down to basics and then be on my way.

  1. It isn't as simple as "just go pick up a BR". At the highest level of skill, Halo 5 is an extremely fast paced game that demands players to be constantly applying pressure and moving with their teammates. If you get a Red Elbow spawn and your teammates are ready to move in for a Flag/Bomb push, you can't say "wait guys let me go pick up my BR so I can actually stand a chance against other enemies". The game requires players to constantly put damage on opponents and be able to win gunfights at all times. At the lower level of play, I agree, it is quite simple to just pick up your weapon of choice but the game needs to be refined to a tee at the highest echelon of skill before it can observed at a lower level.
  2. The misconception with the Boltshot is the illusion that "the gun is easy because it aims for you". The Boltshot is a precision weapon just like any other, the only nuance is that it doesn't require headshots. As a tradeoff for this bonus, it utilizes extremely slow moving projectiles that can bump into geometry or miss players entirely if they thrust or dodge them. The Boltshot is not a "noob" weapon, it requires a different level of thinking than other weapons and the tracking projectiles confuse people into believing it is extremely user-friendly. Plus, they aren't even that strong so they don't detract from the importance of Utility Weapon gunfights that I stressed in my post.
  3. You're looking at the sandbox in a very linear way. I too believe that the sandbox is very balanced and that all of the rifles and automatics serve very satisfying roles, but that doesn't mean that they should all be shoved on every map. Map layouts and sandbox balance go hand in hand and the selection and placement of weapon locations must be carefully chosen.
  4. And finally, when you are referring to Arena being for competitive hardcore Halo action, I'm well aware of that. I've reached low-mid level Onyx ranks each season and enjoy the game a lot as it is, but I've always felt that changes needed to be made regarding the frequency of weapons on Arena maps, and it appears the dev team agreed with those concepts.
The pistol serves as the go to for competitive halo players. It's rare to see the br be picked up by the pros.
So, if you spawn with the pistol and you are so good with it that you don't even use the br... then why do you care if the br is on the map?
You yourself make the point that the boltshot isn't even that great of a weapon, doesn't that fit your definition of cluttering up the map?
Obviously you are better with the pistol than I am. I won't deny that it's one of my least favorite weapons in halo 5. I still use the thing, but I'm not very accurate with it. I love the br, it's my favorite weapon by far. I'll run with a lr, carbine, or dmr but the BR is my baby.
Don't poop on other guy's tools man.
What I find amazing is that I love the pistol and battle rifle in Warzone but can't get a kill with them to save my life in arena
  1. Put the BR back on the map in its original position. Why? Because the boltshot is just far too much of a situational weapon because if you come up against a player who still has his thrust the likelihood is that you will lose the fight especially at onyx level gameplay. Maybe it could be alright to have the boltshot on ctf as the fighting is more enclosed but for slayer the BR is a necessity.
  2. The cover at rockets (where sniper used to be) is great as it lets you stand a chance of staying alive up there if you are getting shot from S3/catwalk whilst challenging ellbow and also provides a good alternative angle to snipe from without making it too powerful as you can still get naded
  3. Rockets at green is horrible for CTF as allows for complete walk overs especially when facing co-ordinated to4's I suggest swapping the rocks and sniper back but keeping the cover
  4. Carbine is a good addition but I think they should go where DMR was and just remove the DMR completely
  5. All nades should stay at their original position for Combat evolving and general flow
Minor spawn adjustments to make back base more relevant eg if they have S2 catwalk and two rocks spawns should be back base and cave or if the enemy team is staked in cave and sniper spawn back base closest to cave to avoid getting shot of spawn and also spawn elbow

Hope this helps 343
Every change is great except
-Removal of BR

BR is a very classic weapon a lot of Pros use and it is great for mid-open maps like coliseum, BR should be left there. Position change might be decent though.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5