Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Does CSR increase even if you lose a match?

OP DruunkenSensei

Hi guys. I'm a mostly solo queue player and have very recently ( yesterday ) started playing team arena with the HCS rules. After 5+ hours nonstop on the playlist and 37 games completed (48.6% win ratio) I'm currently sitting on Platinum 6. My KDA in the playlist is high currently sitting at 5.8. I'm trying to break into diamond tier but I feel many of the teams I'm paired with are not a good match for me or the enemy team. More often than not I'm top of the team or getting the highest k/d but when we lose I still go down a bit of my ranking. I understand it's not about the highest k/d that gets you through the progression but I do think if you are top of the losing team in points or kills ( or both) you should rank UP at least a little bit. I think i'm a high diamond/Onyx player in raw skill, even if I'm not good at the objective I can clear the way for my teammates who are. In the SWAT playlist I'm a diamond 2 with HALF the games played and HALF the KDA but a very similar win rate to team arena. How the heck does that make sense?
Sorry for the rant, anyway what I wanted to know is even if my team loses matches but I perform almost routinely top of the board ( at least on my team ) will I gain CSR despite ranking being reversed?
Thanks guys!
No. Your CSR always decreases in a loss.
Oh. Wouldn't that disrupt the balance of matches though? Say you have reached Diamond 6 and everyone else on your team is a high diamond rank, the enemy team are all better players but due to the team members they got throughout their season ranking they are gold or platinum. They are going to win and because they are notably lower in ranking you and your team will lose more CSR than you would have had they been the same rank or Onyx. Does 343 have a solution for that? The win/lose mechanic just isn't a true judge of a players individual skill. If what you're saying is right then someone who doesn't even know how to play halo but parties up all the time with highly skilled players can achieve an onyx (maybe champion?) ranking despite being trash?
Oh. Wouldn't that disrupt the balance of matches though? Say you have reached Diamond 6 and everyone else on your team is a high diamond rank, the enemy team are all better players but due to the team members they got throughout their season ranking they are gold or platinum. They are going to win and because they are notably lower in ranking you and your team will lose more CSR than you would have had they been the same rank or Onyx. Does 343 have a solution for that? The win/lose mechanic just isn't a true judge of a players individual skill. If what you're saying is right then someone who doesn't even know how to play halo but parties up all the time with highly skilled players can achieve an onyx (maybe champion?) ranking despite being trash?
I'm by no means an expert on how Halo 5's trueskill system works but I'll try to explain to you what I understand. How much CSR you gain or lose when the match finishes depends upon your MMR and the MMR of everyone else in the game comparatively. MMR is determined not only by the games you win or lose but by how well you do in these games. If you are doing well and still losing because of teammates the system will notice and raise your MMR despite your actual display rank going down. If your MMR is higher than your current displayed rank you will lose less CSR for a loss and more CSR for a win. So with all that said it should be possible for a player to reach the correct rank they deserve regardless of how good their teammates are as long as they play long enough and play well consistently.
In the SWAT playlist I'm a diamond 2 with HALF the games played and HALF the KDA but a very similar win rate to team arena. How the heck does that make sense?
Most likely due to the skill levels of the people in your games. Anyway, here is a link that basically explains how the ranking system works.
I've made the experience that sometimes when I lost a game my rank only changed by 1 csr point. I made the assumption that it depends on how well I did, but it really is random as far as I can tell. Maybe it depends on other players and how well you're doing relative to them. So for example when you're not playing for a while and lots of people passed you the game desperately tries to rank you down.
I've had it happen in FFA where I came 5th and my csr increased or stayed the same but never in any team-based games.

I'm very low platinum in FFA and the players in said match were all diamond/onyx. Low population in that playlist.

I don't care what anyone says, the ranking system functions very accurately in my experience. I beat who I'm supposed to and generally get beat by who should beat me. The only exception is objective games in team arena. There are oddball matches where a high plat / low diamond slays like crazy but loses the match as the rest of his teammates can't accumulate the objective time. Scenarios like that are where it's possible to beat higher level players and score a big csr boost.
I've made the experience that sometimes when I lost a game my rank only changed by 1 csr point. I made the assumption that it depends on how well I did, but it really is random as far as I can tell. Maybe it depends on other players and how well you're doing relative to them. So for example when you're not playing for a while and lots of people passed you the game desperately tries to rank you down.
The CSR you gain or lose is entirely dependent on the competition you face. If you lose to inferior competition, you'll take a greater CSR hit than you would have had you lost to superior competition. It's the same way for beating competition that's inferior or superior to you. Your personal performance doesn't affect anything beyond wins and losses.
Ya only winning or losing will change CSR. If you face against a team that the system believes will beat yours, but you guys win, you'll rank up quicker. Just like if the system thinks your team will win (say your team is all mid/high ranking diamonds but the other is plats/golds) and you lose, the opposite happens where you lose CSR.
Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I'll dedicate a whole day to a playlist and see where I can go from there. I'm thinking FFA as I can't often get a full team and I have randomly disconnected from a couple of matches on team arena so I'm swinging between platinum 5 and 6 right now. One more thing I'd like to know is once you complete your qualifying 10 matches for FFA and are set a rank does it become harder to progress beyond that? I was testing the waters on my smurf account and got Platinum 3 then got up to 4 a few games later. I then went on with my main account ( this one ) and only got Gold 5. I played another 4 games finishing within the top 3 every time and managing to get 1st at least once but my rank didn't increase at all. I was matching gold to diamond players with a couple of onyx so I should have progressed up just a little?
EDIT: I forgot to mention some of the other players were unranked.
EDIT2: After numerous games finishing between all placements but mainly within 1-4 I am now platinum 2. I'm drunk so I can't figure out how exactly it works but according to the post match statistics I have been leveling up every time.. Slow as it is lol. Try harding for diamond then eventually onyx once I get home!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show