Doubles Refresh – Spring 2019 Season

OP Unyshek

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
As part of the Spring 2019 Season, we wanted to improve the experience in the Doubles playlist. We started by updating the existing maps as well as tweaking community-made Forge maps to change how they played in a Doubles setting. We’d like to give a shoutout to II Sethiroth II, who kick-started many of the map-specific changes and concepts, ran them by our Halo 5 Sustain Team, and collaborated with us throughout all stages of the updates. After much playtesting and iteration, here’s a list of the important changes to the maps in Doubles!

COLISEUM
  • Reevaluated weapon locations, ammo and spawn times to better suit 2v2
  • Notably the sniper was repositioned to the bottom of lift in a more easily contested area while eliminating some of the ‘peek-a-boo’ engagements horizontally across Green Tower’s platform
  • Legs were added to Red/Blue Yard to Yellow Tower to provide alternate approaches to Overshield
  • Cover pieces on Yellow Tower were pushed out toward ‘slide’ to make it slightly easier to counter when players are hiding behind it
  • Ramps were added beside lift to Green Tower to empower players moving upward without as many teammates to pressure players holding Top Mid
  • Alcoves behind each base were significantly reduced to prevent a near 180 degree turn when approaching an opponent fleeing to this area
EDEN
  • Power-weapons aligned in the center to encourage more pushes outside of the bases
  • Bottom Mid under Catwalk was blocked off to provide more cover when making pushes through bottom
  • Added a more identifiable clamber route from Red Yard to Catwalk to create more symmetry in pathing
  • Added a small cover piece to Red Window to allow players to move into Red Nest without being scene and also to parallel blue window
  • Hump added to lower catwalk to allow players to disengage battles or drop down to new Camo spawn without having to jump. Jump to Catwalk is now possible with one jump + clamber instead of 2 jumps; one onto the railing and then a second into the clamber
  • Red Sneaky ledge size reduced to allow quicker visibility from approaching players
  • Spawns adjusted for more balanced initial rushes
MOLTEN
  • Relocated Camo to neutral position and maintained visibility through grates in Delta room
  • Jump path added between Fridge Ramp and Delta to improve flow when making pushes toward back Delta
  • Cleaned up geometry near Eastgate that would often snag players
  • Added clamber route from Station side of Lava Falls to Top Base
  • Removed ankle snag from Control window overlooking Lava Falls by allowing players to walk out of it instead of jump
  • Added visual indicator via scripted lights if someone sitting on nerdy ledge outside of Delta
  • Improved spawning on Red side (Bunker and Control)
PLAZA
  • Block corner of red spawn’s Tram to help funnel and reduce ‘Ring around the rosy’ moments
  • Sealed up lift hallway to help funnel and eliminate ‘peek-a-boo’ as well as an often-undesirable spawn located below
  • Blocked off elevator alcove from plaza
  • Pushed spawns forward slightly in Café to reduce spawn-killing potential with the Sniper Rifle
THE RIG
  • Change starting spawns for more balanced initial rush in time and positioning
  • Weapon pad relocated to open deck to provide more engagement opportunities when contesting
  • Removed snag when trying to slide boost through Pit Door
  • Cleaned up geometry near Cargo that would often snag players
  • Improved spawning around Bunker
In addition to updating these five developer maps, we also wanted to incorporate Forge maps that played extremely well during both runs of the Community Doubles playlist.
Here are the four community-made maps that we've included at the start of this Season!

CYBERCIDE by Ascend Hyperion & Whos Blaze
Cybercide

HAZARD by II Sethiroth II
Hazard

THESE WALLS by The Xzamplez, CertifiedChamp, & Yeti For Hire
These Walls

VEIL by xCanadian Echox & WeedCough
Veil

Last but certainly not least, we have set new standards for each Power Weapon and Power Up across all Doubles maps. Here’s a snapshot of how these weapons will show up in the playlist!

Doubles Timers Updated

As always, if you have any feedback on the updated versions of these maps and how they play in Doubles, please leave your input in this thread. Enjoy!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Awesome, Can't wait to play! Only thing we need now is a bump in XP earned per match in the playlist!
So there's 9 maps total now? I don't see tyrant 😔 I'll miss that map. I liked it in doubles.

Just so I'm clear, On deletion means once the weapon disappears, it'll respawn in x time unless it's a weapon pad weapon correct?

I still don't agree with the sniper having 8 shots total. It's just too much in doubles I feel. Good players can absolutely own with it and could easily get 6 out of 8 kills with it consistently. I also think rockets should be in doubles. Just only give it 2 shots, but that's me.

All withhold final judgment of things until I play obviously. I'm definitely Iooking forward to checking out all the changes 😁
If I'm understanding things right, I'm a little concerned about the 2min respawn time of power ups on maps. That's seem pretty nuts, but I'll see how it plays.

So there's 9 maps total now? I don't see tyrant 😔 I'll miss that map. I liked it in doubles.

Just so I'm clear, On deletion means once the weapon disappears, it'll respawn in x time unless it's a weapon pad weapon correct?

I still don't agree with the sniper having 8 shots total. It's just too much in doubles I feel. Good players can absolutely own with it and could easily get 6 out of 8 kills with it consistently. I also think rockets should be in doubles. Just only give it 2 shots, but that's me.

All withhold final judgment of things until I play obviously. I'm definitely Iooking forward to checking out all the changes 😁
Power ups have always been 2 min respawn thats been the default from the beginning. Are you suggesting longer timers? On my personal maps, I have experimented before with longer and shorter timers.

Me and blaze talked about tyrant awhile ago. I can see the maps potential. Its one of the few sym maps that play decent for 2v2.

Yes. The weapons have always been "on deletion". Whats changed was the 10 second timer that was used for 4v4. It will prevent the feeling of infinite ammo on tier 2 weapons. I was advocating for on pickup but they main problem was that the 10 sec timer had to go.

The sniper ammo is less then what it was. It use to have 12 shots. Which is insane. I like low ammo counts also.

I cant wait to hear your final judgment.
If I'm understanding things right, I'm a little concerned about the 2min respawn time of power ups on maps. That's seem pretty nuts, but I'll see how it plays.

Power ups have always been 2 min respawn thats been the default from the beginning. Are you suggesting longer timers? On my personal maps, I have experimented before with longer and shorter timers.

Me and blaze talked about tyrant awhile ago. I can see the maps potential. Its one of the few sym maps that play decent for 2v2.

Yes. The weapons have always been "on deletion". Whats changed was the 10 second timer that was used for 4v4. It will prevent the feeling of infinite ammo on tier 2 weapons. I was advocating for on pickup but they main problem was that the 10 sec timer had to go.

The sniper ammo is less then what it was. It use to have 12 shots. Which is insane. I like low ammo counts also.

I know power ups are 2 mins respawns. I was pretty tired yesterday when I wrote that and was thinking multiple things at once. My mistake, thanks for pointing that out bud. I'll edit my original post.

This said, I actually have thought about power ups having longer respawn times before though. What are your thoughts so far on longer power up respawns? And when do you make them respawn, 3 mins?

Yeah man, I'm definitely looking forward to playing and I'll let you know what I think. It might be a while as I want to get a good chunk of games under my belt first. I think too many people are quick to judge changes without really giving them a shot.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Q agagradable ver esas actualización .... No dejar morir h5
BmooDyyy wrote:
Awesome, Can't wait to play! Only thing we need now is a bump in XP earned per match in the playlist!
We hear you! Both doubles and FFA now have an experience bump for a limited time! :D

Thank you for the feedback.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.Q agagradable ver esas actualización .... No dejar morir h5
ESTA GENIAL QUE NO LO DEJEN MORIR PERO SIENTO QUE AVECES PONEN COSAS CHIDAS Y DURAN MUY POCO COMO ZONA DE GUERRA TURBO
Please take cybercide out of the rotation, 9/10 I get games on that map people are sitting lurked with scattershot in top mids corners. Makes for very long cheap games, if you guys don’t take that map out at least take out scattershot. Other than that I like most of the changes to this doubles playlist as I play it every day and I’m enjoying the refresh for the most part
Hello,

This was just released yesterday, I have only played one game, and I am struggling to find a match. Open Nat, located in Chicago.

Please let me know why I cannot get in a match.

Thanks
Whos Blaze wrote:
BmooDyyy wrote:
We hear you! Both doubles and FFA now have an experience bump for a limited time! :D

Thank you for the feedback.
Thank you! Ive only been playing featured playlists to get to 152
Question, is there a way to be able to play the new/edited maps in customs at all?
TheNobleTV wrote:
Question, is there a way to be able to play the new/edited maps in customs at all?
All 5 edited Disk Map and Hazard can be found in my bookmarks. The names will be there normal names with test 1,2, or 3 at the end. Plaza says Dub. The other Forge maps have there links above.

I know power ups are 2 mins respawns. I was pretty tired yesterday when I wrote that and was thinking multiple things at once. My mistake, thanks for pointing that out bud. I'll edit my original post.

This said, I actually have thought about power ups having longer respawn times before though. What are your thoughts so far on longer power up respawns? And when do you make them respawn, 3 mins?

Yeah man, I'm definitely looking forward to playing and I'll let you know what I think. It might be a while as I want to get a good chunk of games under my belt first. I think too many people are quick to judge changes without really giving them a shot.
Its all good. Its okay to get tired. So in 2v2 player counts, IMO the power ups are way more powerful then any power weapon. With that said, there is 2 main things that I like to talk about when it comes to the power up timers.

The first point is the actual timer. I have experimented with shorter and longer timers. I find that the camo works better IMO on longer timers like 2 mins and more. The main reason being is that Camo just last forever in Halo 5 and can net 3 plus kills even in games where the skill level is even. The huge benefit to Camo though is its really really really easy to burn and kill the person going for it. Overshield for the most part as long as its over 90 seconds its not to bad and it really depends on the map. The invincibility frames it has is vary annoying and also can lead to a button mash fight where who ever has the better internet gets it WHICH really sucks. Overshield generally only allows 1 to 2 EASY kills on even skill levels and then the shield is gone. BUT the invincibility frames are really BAD IMO and you can easily 2v1 right after picking it up. So I tend to lean on Camo for 2v2 maps because its much easier to contest and burn. Which is one reason Camo is on Hazard and not Overshield. I have tested both.

The second point which I think it WAY more important is information about its spawn. On my personal maps that I just play with friends, For 2v2 I put Power ups on Weapons pads because they are that strong in 2v2. This is to generate information to both team saying HEY if you dont pay attention to this your going to get destroyed. I also have used scripting to make power ups a static spawn but with no way point(which I really like now days). This means they spawn on the exact timer every game and cant be delayed and have no way points(which means you can sneak the power up and the other team wont see some icon vanish and know you have it). So it spawns at start, then at 8mins remaining, then 6mins remaining. So on and so forth. Making it really easy for both teams to know hey I need to get over there and contest.

So generally speaking I dont mind longer times and for Camo it makes since. BUT with default H5 being 2 mins on pickup for power ups and every player in the world knows that. Its dangerous to make it a different timer IMO unless you go static spawn. I personally think static spawned power ups is the way to really go and fosters better gameplay experience.
TheNobleTV wrote:
You’ll be able to bookmark them by clicking the name of the maps in the article above. :) The links are embedded there.
So far (I have only played about 7 games in doubles so far so this is an early observation on the dubs updated maps) I love the update honestly. I think about 2 weeks ago I posted a topic on how they needed to update the Dubs Map selection and BAM SPRING UPDATE and it's done! Sweet! I personally am not in love with 2v2 I prefer 4v4 but my friend that's all he wants to play so that's what we have been playing lately. The old map rotation I hated to tell the truth 🤫 and so far this one is ALOT better. The changes to the dev maps like on coliseum adding the ramps to OS and the old snipe spawn (people have different names for those areas so I tried to be general about it) was a much needed add on for 2v2 and love it. I wouldn't mine seeing the ramp leading to old snipe spawn top mid to 4v4 honestly IMO. I haven't gotten to play all the maps and the new forge maps are all new to me never played them before but I think the 3 I've played so far, all have different play styles but are great so far from what I've seen. Thanks for the much needed update to Dubs and I will come back and write my final thought once I play and get a feel for all the changes and maps.

O, one little thing I was secretly hoping for was a throwback map from a older Halo thrown in there it would of been SWEET to get Lockout or Guardian even Beaver Creek would have been AWESOME!!! Just a thought I wanted to throw in there real quick😏 the 3 maps I named and there are more of course played soooo well for 2v2 in past halos(I've been playing Halo online since Halo CE favorite game ever is Halo 2 still bxr bxb super jumps just great!)
Please take cybercide out of the rotation, 9/10 I get games on that map people are sitting lurked with scattershot in top mids corners. Makes for very long cheap games, if you guys don’t take that map out at least take out scattershot. Other than that I like most of the changes to this doubles playlist as I play it every day and I’m enjoying the refresh for the most part
To solve this problem there is a grenade throw with frags to bounce them where your talking about from the bottom level to stop this. My partner and I had a problem with this right away, I think they played the map before and went straight to this tactic. To tell the truth they had us 10-3 because of this and I threw the grenade I'm talking about just to see what would happen and i tossed them back to back fast as I could throw and bounce boom see the x for hit then boom second grenade and I get a kill and my partner rushes up(told him to wait tell I see where these grenades land didn't want to hit him lol) and 2 shots his partner grabs scatter and the come back begins we pulled it out 25-22 so maybe that's why I liked the map imo. Try to go walk around the map in custom and try different grenade throws and rush tactics to see what works for you and I'm sure you will find a way to stop anyone else from doing this to you in the future😉 Good luck and don't give up on the map with 1 play through with a camping team it's an alright map so far IDK
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10