Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Downranking too harsh

OP ProMarmot477250

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Do not create/use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans.

Spoiler:
Show
You will rank down >20 CSR when you are supposed to win the game but lose. On the other hand, you will only rank up <5 CSR when you win and you were supposed to win.

As far as going positive and losing due to teammates who don't watch their deaths, keep an eye out for players similar to your rank who have stats that show the possibility for upward mobility and try to get a fireteam started.

EDIT: it would help if you didn't post on an account that has never played H5 so we could see game history.
You will rank down >20 CSR when you are supposed to win the game but lose. On the other hand, you will only rank up <5 CSR when you win and you were supposed to win.

As far as going positive and losing due to teammates who don't watch their deaths, keep an eye out for players similar to your rank who have stats that show the possibility for upward mobility and try to get a fireteam started.

EDIT: it would help if you didn't post on an account that has never played H5 so we could see game history.
Here's the account that I was using, but I suppose that makes sense, just frustrating to try to continue to level up while a have a team that occasionally has bad games.
Yes I have encountered the same thing in FFA. Finishing 3rd or 4t would see an Onyx drop of great than 15 points but a win would add 1 point. You get to the point of giving up as the penalty for losing is too high
I ranked all the way up to Onyx and got all the way up to 1538, then lost a game and ranked down to 1511. Proceeded to win 3 games in a row and only went up to 1514. Lost 1 game where I went +5 and we lost 50-35 and I ranked all the way down to diamond 6. I don't understand why it ranks you down so quickly compared to ranking up. Seems unnecessary after I actually played well that particular game, especially compared to my team. Anyone have any explanation for this?
You are hitting your actual MMR level or are slightly inflated. When your CSR get higher than your MMR the game corrects it by making you lose more CSR than you would gain. This also works the inverse way but since going up feels good and "deserved" people don't make posts about it.

You simply have hit your current skill level. In order to increase your MMR you need to perform better in games and win more games that you were expected to lose. Basically outperform the expectation the game has for you. Also that expectation can be double positive if the enemy is lower ranked than you.
That's what happens in Onyx. I'm Diamond 6 in Slayer and I gain alot of CSR every win and lose very few when I lose. Once I hit Onyx it's the opposite.
I've just given up even attempting to reach Onyx, it will never happen given the ranking system that's in place. Even beating teams I'm not supposed to beat, the increase is minimal. Lose one game against a team I wasn't even supposed to win against, down you go.
Depends who you have on your team and who you're playing against. You were just barely getting into Onyx! Keep playing and keep winning against teams with more CSR than you. The more you get into Onyx the higher ranked people you should be playing against, giving you a chance to gain more CSR from a win but also less chance of loosing so much.

I've been at the top of CSR ranking for multiple playlists. Beating people lower ranked will only give you +1 CSR and losing to people lower ranked will give you -30 CSR. Pretty simple and makes sense to me. Obviously, the numbers aren't exact and depend on your CSR and MMR for the playlist.
I've just given up even attempting to reach Onyx, it will never happen given the ranking system that's in place. Even beating teams I'm not supposed to beat, the increase is minimal. Lose one game against a team I wasn't even supposed to win against, down you go.
I can look up a specific match and break it down if you like. But you'll have to link it here.
ZaedynFel wrote:
I can look up a specific match and break it down if you like. But you'll have to link it here.
@ZaedynFel Can you search this one:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/917a3e4a-8db1-4df8-9493-80421de5a4ed/players/ii%20drathnor%20ii?gameHistoryMatchIndex=21&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=ArenaIt

I would love to understand the MMR prior coming in and at the end of the match.
ZaedynFel wrote:
@ZaedynFel Can you search this one:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/917a3e4a-8db1-4df8-9493-80421de5a4ed/players/ii%20drathnor%20ii?gameHistoryMatchIndex=21&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=ArenaIt

I would love to understand the MMR prior coming in and at the end of the match.
Your MMR going in was 1293. It went up to 1365 going out.
ZaedynFel wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Ok that's good to hear, can the CSR go down within this scensrio, because my went down.
ZaedynFel wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Ok that's good to hear, can the CSR go down within this scensrio, because my went down.
Yes, CSR always goes down on a loss, even if MMR goes up. Primarily because we don't have a way to update the UI to explain why this happens. Likewise, MMR can go down on a win and we'd want to explain that before doing it.
Just lost half a rank for a game I never even got into. Didn't get in then lag out or quit. I literally was never a part of this game. Absolutely rage inducing.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/c13ff1d7-2776-455e-9cce-a86a2bb99380/players/phat%20pat0101?gameHistoryMatchIndex=1&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All
FFA has been a little brutal this season for me. I had an average run in my first 50 games or so and after making it to Diamond 6 I'm getting very small increments on wins and getting punished on 'losses'. Haven't broken into Onyx this season and I'm not seeing many other players (in my matches at least) having obtained Onyx - it's mostly Platinum, Diamond and Champion.

Last 16 matches - 9 1st place, 4 2nd, 1 3rd, 2 4th - all without moving out of D6 and I'm at 20% progress on the D6 band. 1st gets little progress and virtually every other placing see a drop. Finished 2nd to a Diamond 5 and the bar went down quite a bit, it's only one placement lower. Win against a D3 or D2 and you get virtually no credit. I'll spare all of those the necessity to go over my game history - some of the 1st places in the last couple of days have been against weak opposition so it's never going to dramatically improve your ranking, but sometimes the line barely registers a change after a win. Congratulations to those persons who place 1st every game of FFA, I'll have a bad game and I can guarantee that it is against a player on their 2nd placement match and that really hurts your rating. (I'm used 1st-3rd being considered a win (H3, H:R, H4), but alas those days seem to be gone - my W/L is atrocious due to this).

I get the statistical theory - weak games early in the season really hurt and then it takes something quite dramatic to introduce a big positive increase to your ranking. It also takes away the incentive to play in my mind - you risk losing a lot of your ranking considering that 2nd place in FFA is treated as a loss despite beating 4 other players.

Yes I understand the statistics - I don't have to like it.
Its crazy. And if someone else is good on your team the game thinks youre being carried.
Just lost half a rank for a game I never even got into. Didn't get in then lag out or quit. I literally was never a part of this game. Absolutely rage inducing.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/c13ff1d7-2776-455e-9cce-a86a2bb99380/players/phat%20pat0101?gameHistoryMatchIndex=1&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All
What happened then? Looks like you got disconnected at some point between matchmaking and the game loading.

In which case we have to treat it the same because that can be faked to manipulate ranks.
ZaedynFel wrote:

What happened then? Looks like you got disconnected at some point between matchmaking and the game loading.

In which case we have to treat it the same because that can be faked to manipulate ranks.
Yeah I get that but why would anyone be intentionally disconnecting before the game even starts and before even knowing who the players are on either team? Doesn't really make sense
ZaedynFel wrote:

Yeah I get that but why would anyone be intentionally disconnecting before the game even starts and before even knowing who the players are on either team? Doesn't really make sense
You were far enough into the game for it to not be able to tell you weren't in the game.

Also, people do that based on emblems that known good players use, and also to dodge maps and modes they aren't as good at --- all things that can manipulate ranks to a degree.
ZaedynFel wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

You were far enough into the game for it to not be able to tell you weren't in the game.

Also, people do that based on emblems that known good players use, and also to dodge maps and modes they aren't as good at --- all things that can manipulate ranks to a degree.
The real reason is because the servers of Halo 5 suck. Why do i know this? Because many times i had game like this
https://www.halowaypoint.com/it-it/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/28696083-f121-476d-82bd-f24983e47dd6/players/nbk%20darkwarlock?gameHistoryMatchIndex=20&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
It is funny because they are my friends and we was together in xbox chat group
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3