Can someone explain how CSR works now?
Please give examples.

For example-
1st Champ
2nd Onyx
3rd Diamond
4th-6th Gold through Diamond

In the example above- who would gain and who would lose CSR?
Maybe they've changed it, but I believe 1st-3rd gain CSR and 4th-6th lose CSR. The amount of CSR gained or lost depends on your rank vs the ranks of those you beat or lost to (as well as your overall placement). If a Diamond player beats a Champ they gain more CSR than if they beat a Gold. If a Diamond player loses to a Gold they lose more CSR than if they lost to a Champ. I hope that helps.
DoubleSama wrote:
Maybe they've changed it, but I believe 1st-3rd gain CSR and 4th-6th lose CSR. The amount of CSR gained or lost depends on your rank vs the ranks of those you beat or lost to (as well as your overall placement). If a Diamond player beats a Champ they gain more CSR than if they beat a Gold. If a Diamond player loses to a Gold they lose more CSR than if they lost to a Champ. I hope that helps.
I was just asking because I got 3rd In this exact same situation and lost CSR so I was confused
DoubleSama wrote:
It should work like this, but it doesn't. The vast majority of players that are mid diamond and up will lose CSR for placing anything but first. It starts pretty mild, but gets way worse the higher up the ranks you get. Mid diamond you may see a few CSR gain for placing second or third, but by the time you're past 1600 anything under first will result in a massive loss of CSR. My theory is as to why this happens is because FFA has such a low population count the matchmaking perimeters must be extremely wide just to find others to play with resulting in onyx players matching a wide variety of ranks. As FFA is right now only winning first counts truly as a "win". If the game sees that you a Diamond 5 player lost to a Platinum 6 player it will make the judgment that your rank is too high and it needs to be lowered even though you did well comparatively to the rest of the lobby.

Unfortunately the FFA playlist is in a downward cycle. It has a low population, so matchmaking perameters must be widened. High level players then start matching low level players and it becomes impossible to progress. High level players are frustrated because they can't progress so they stop playing, and low level players are frustrated because they get matched against players miles ahead of them and they quit playing too.

If 343 wants any shot at FFA becoming a enjoyable playlist again they are going to have to change something to attract more players. Personally I think if they added HCS settings it would give it enough traction to be able to set reasonable parameters and have reasonable wait times. I can't find it now, but Ske7ch made a twitter poll a while back asking what version of FFA fans would prefer to play, and the vast majority of people said HCS. I believe they haven't done it yet because they don't think the risk is worth it and that it would just end up splitting the population even more. Personally I think FFA is already at rock bottom, and almost anything is worth a shot. Very disappointing as FFA used to be one of my favorite modes and now I can't even stand to play more than a few matches.

Everything above is from my personal experience. I am certainly not an expert on the CSR system, so take what I said with a grain of salt.
D M4N8 wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
I was just asking because I got 3rd In this exact same situation and lost CSR so I was confused
I would really recommend linking ZaedynFel the game in the matchmaking udpate thread, because that kind of game is exactly why everyone hates the FFA ranking now.
Everything Exenius has noted - the expected ranking outcome and the lack of a broad enough population distribution - holds as my perceptions also. Good post.

To add to the conversation - if you're not first you're last - is kind of how FFA works. 2nd and 3rd place don't hold a lot of weight for changing ranks but a run of 4th-6th will drop you.
D M4N8 wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
I would really recommend linking ZaedynFel the game in the matchmaking udpate thread, because that kind of game is exactly why everyone hates the FFA ranking now.
Unfortunately doesn't look like it'll be happening.
Quote:
Can we have 1-3 count as a win in FFA? This is something we would like to do, but is currently deceptively difficult for technical reasons related to the current specific implementation of how wins and losses are reported. I don’t think this will get fixed for Halo 5, but it’s something we are aware of and would prefer down the road.
:(
Exenius wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
It should work like this, but it doesn't. The vast majority of players that are mid diamond and up will lose CSR for placing anything but first. It starts pretty mild, but gets way worse the higher up the ranks you get. Mid diamond you may see a few CSR gain for placing second or third, but by the time you're past 1600 anything under first will result in a massive loss of CSR. My theory is as to why this happens is because FFA has such a low population count the matchmaking perimeters must be extremely wide just to find others to play with resulting in onyx players matching a wide variety of ranks. As FFA is right now only winning first counts truly as a "win". If the game sees that you a Diamond 5 player lost to a Platinum 6 player it will make the judgment that your rank is too high and it needs to be lowered even though you did well comparatively to the rest of the lobby.

Unfortunately the FFA playlist is in a downward cycle. It has a low population, so matchmaking perameters must be widened. High level players then start matching low level players and it becomes impossible to progress. High level players are frustrated because they can't progress so they stop playing, and low level players are frustrated because they get matched against players miles ahead of them and they quit playing too.

If 343 wants any shot at FFA becoming a enjoyable playlist again they are going to have to change something to attract more players. Personally I think if they added HCS settings it would give it enough traction to be able to set reasonable parameters and have reasonable wait times. I can't find it now, but Ske7ch made a twitter poll a while back asking what version of FFA fans would prefer to play, and the vast majority of people said HCS. I believe they haven't done it yet because they don't think the risk is worth it and that it would just end up splitting the population even more. Personally I think FFA is already at rock bottom, and almost anything is worth a shot. Very disappointing as FFA used to be one of my favorite modes and now I can't even stand to play more than a few matches.

Everything above is from my personal experience. I am certainly not an expert on the CSR system, so take what I said with a grain of salt.
Right after that poll they said that they were going to actually implement the HCS settings and give that a try or at least have some sort of hybrid playlist where you'll be able to play both regular and HCS.

This was about six months or more ago!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Because you're the best!
The settings aren't bad now but there are only 2 maps in rotation- truth and regret. They really need to add more maps cos I got to say it is boring always playing them. Coliseum, fathom, Overgrowth and Riptide would all work well on it I reckon. These circular maps mean scores cascade way too fast especially as the spawns cam be dodgy anyway.

The ranking system is also a bit nuts. Now we have 1st year Onyx players struggling out of platinum and players in silver who are decent. At this stage in the cycle is there any point in a bronze division either? Surely by now most players have had good skill increases so a bronze now would be at least an original high silver in the past. Csr scores should just be shown for all divisions like in Onyx cos right now is say the majority left were Onyx or diamond in season one anyway. Giving people csr scores way too low with no way of improving fast cos they match champs in places 1 to 3 means they never get to rank up anyway. 2 csr gains a go because they match Onyx 1800s isn't helpful to players still learning or grinding up.
The settings aren't bad now but there are only 2 maps in rotation- truth and regret. They really need to add more maps cos I got to say it is boring always playing them. Coliseum, fathom, Overgrowth and Riptide would all work well on it I reckon. These circular maps mean scores cascade way too fast especially as the spawns cam be dodgy anyway.

The ranking system is also a bit nuts. Now we have 1st year Onyx players struggling out of platinum and players in silver who are decent. At this stage in the cycle is there any point in a bronze division either? Surely by now most players have had good skill increases so a bronze now would be at least an original high silver in the past. Csr scores should just be shown for all divisions like in Onyx cos right now is say the majority left were Onyx or diamond in season one anyway. Giving people csr scores way too low with no way of improving fast cos they match champs in places 1 to 3 means they never get to rank up anyway. 2 csr gains a go because they match Onyx 1800s isn't helpful to players still learning or grinding up.
I actually wrote this for the Old FFA CSR system seems to be better for this one now.
Mods, please lock
Old...