Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Focused search = onyx matched with bronze & silver

OP x ILeviathan

Problem:
x ILeviathan Onyx, 1580 CSR experiences two erroneous "match"making games in a row.

I queued two ranked Slayer matches solo, with *FOCUSED* search preferences. Here are the results:

Game 1:
Blue team (opponent)
- Diamond 6
- Diamond 1
- Silver 2
- Unranked

Red team
- Onyx 1580
- Diamond 2
- Unranked
- Unranked

Unranked on the opposing team drops immediately. The two unranked people on my team collectively committed suicide 9 times to lose the game (seemingly on purpose) and they only had 7 total arena games played. Ever.
Outcome: I drop 30 SR to 1550.

Game 2:
Blue team (opponent)
- Unranked
- Gold 4
- Gold 5

Red team
- Onyx 1550
- Gold 3
- BRONZE 2

This game started as a 3v3, which is a pretty rare experience for me while playing ranked Slayer. I immediately notice that my teammate isn't pulling the trigger when he is walking or trying to aim. Of course I sigh and politely ask him to shoot at the enemy so we can win. He plugs in his mic and says "sorry buddy, this is my second day playing halo, I've only played about 20 games total". Holy. Friggin. Balls. Batman.
But wait. It gets better.

My new friend (let's call him... Smittie) goes on to tell me that not only is it his second day playing Halo, but it's also his very first, First Person Shooter. Of all time.
I roooar into maniacal laughter. Not because he hasn't played a shooter before. Rather, halo 5's so called "match making system" ranked up an Onyx player who has played thousands of ranked games with a brand new, bronze 2 player with less than a couple dozen.

I stop laughing and welcome Smittie to the wonderful world of Halo. We go on to win the game on the back of my 44 kills after laying waste to the other team. I go back up 19 SR.

Questions:
- Why would an Onyx player playing solo with FOCUSED preferences ever match with solo bronze, silver, and gold's?
- Why do unranked tags with less than a hundred games (arbitrary number, but you get it) played EVER get matched up against Onyx ranked tags?
- How can we as players communicate just how frustrating the matchmaking and TrueSkill 2 system is?

I understand its much more difficult to provide quick matches with similar ranking this late in a games maturity. But when I select "focused", I am making a conscious decision to wait longer to find a competitive match that makes sense. Please 343, please here my cry! There's a lot of stuff I would love to moan and complain about, but this one seems easily approachable and I just really hope that these type of things are considered in Infinite, even when Infinite is 4-5 years old.

Thanks for reading.
- James
I can provide screenshots and stat tracking sites for proof.
If I'm being honest, you could find better matchups by joining a random slayer match in customs.
Have you considered the possibility that the low ranked players were smurfs and that he was just lying to you about being a new player? The matchmaking system has algorithms that let it detect smurfs and assign them the correct mmr, even if their CSR is incorrect due to rank manipulation (like intentionally losing).
Chimera30 wrote:
Have you considered the possibility that the low ranked players were smurfs and that he was just lying to you about being a new player? The matchmaking system has algorithms that let it detect smurfs and assign them the correct mmr, even if their CSR is incorrect due to rank manipulation (like intentionally losing).
Ignoring this post due to lack of reading OP and faulty logic.
The search options (focused) doesn't give you better or worse players, they just put on servers that are either closer or farther away from you. You likely would've gotten a higher skilled player on each team in the second game, but it started 3v3 so you got stuck with the low ranked ones.