Dear 343i,

We don't want Competitive Skill Ranks*

We want Corporate Social Responsibility

We want Custom, Social, and Ranked

Triangle CSR

Let C represent Custom games
Let S represent Social playlists
Let R represent Ranked playlists

The triangle is broken 343i, please fix it!

*We prefer it to nothing, but it isn't what we mean by having a competitive ranking system
Clever post.

I would say it probably belongs in the halo 5 forum, as we aren't getting these things in the current iteration when they are already consolidating playlists.
Threads like this are frustrating because it completely ignores the fact that the H3 system was, to put it as diplomatically as possible, terrible.

If you disagree with that statement, that's ok, but you're burying your head in the sand. Because if it was so great it would have returned for Reach. And 4. And it didn't.

If you do agree that it had problems then you should be as detailed and specific as possible about how you would change it for implementation in H5.
Quote:
Dear 343i,

We don't want Competitive Skill Ranks*

We want Corporate Social Responsibility

We want Custom, Social, and Ranked

Triangle CSR

Let C represent Custom games
Let S represent Social playlists
Let R represent Ranked playlists

The triangle is broken 343i, please fix it!

*We prefer it to nothing, but it isn't what we mean by having a competitive ranking system
How would each work? DLC and non-DLC like in Halo 3?
Quote:
Threads like this are frustrating because it completely ignores the fact that the H3 system was, to put it as diplomatically as possible, terrible.

If you disagree with that statement, that's ok, but you're burying your head in the sand. Because if it was so great it would have returned for Reach. And 4. And it didn't.

If you do agree that it had problems then you should be as detailed and specific as possible about how you would change it for implementation in H5.
Opinions on which Ranked system is best are just that, opinions. Why did you find H3's TrueSkill system to be 'terrible?'
Quote:

Concrete arguments as to why it was terrible are generally helpful when making that assertion.

Are you referring specifically to the ranking system? Are you referring to the competitive/social system? Are you referring to the matchmaking system and the matches that resulted?

I'm going to assume you are referring to the 1-50 system and your primary source of discontent is either the negative behavior it encouraged or that it was too easy to get a 50? If that is the case, I would point out that this thread didn't advocate or even mention the Halo 3 trueskill system.
Quote:
Quote:

Opinions on which Ranked system is best are just that, opinions. Why did you find H3's TrueSkill system to be 'terrible?'

I've gone on for days at a time about my opinions on the old 1-50 system and I won't bore you with them here again, but I'll revisit what I said earlier: some very intelligent, thoughtful people at both Bungie and 343 elected to abandon that system. This wasn't in any way a casual or careless decision. It was done intentionally and firmly. I readily admit that suitable replacements have not been found, witness the failure of the Arena in Reach and of CSR in H4. But just because a bad system was replaced by what many feel were even worse systems - this doesn't mean that we should just return to the "less bad" system we had before.
Quote:
Quote:

Concrete arguments as to why it was terrible are generally helpful when making that assertion.

Are you referring specifically to the ranking system? Are you referring to the competitive/social system? Are you referring to the matchmaking system and the matches that resulted?

I'm going to assume you are referring to the 1-50 system and your primary source of discontent is either the negative behavior it encouraged or that it was too easy to get a 50? If that is the case, I would point out that this thread didn't advocate or even mention the Halo 3 trueskill system.
See previous post...

and, no, no one mentioned 1-50 specifically, but when people pine for a return to ranked/social what they are usually advocating is a wholesale return to all the wonder and the horror of Halo 3. I apologize to the OP if I made these assumptions in error.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

See previous post...

and, no, no one mentioned 1-50 specifically, but when people pine for a return to ranked/social what they are usually advocating is a wholesale return to all the wonder and the horror of Halo 3. I apologize to the OP if I made these assumptions in error.
I certainly acknowledge the negative behaviors associated with the ranked hopper, and I honestly don't care if they redesign the actual ranking system to utilize a different equation to calculate.

But I do want a return to the ranked/social hopper split. Ranked matchmaking in Halo 3 was the best experience I have ever had in any game bar none. They made a very deliberate decision, but that doesn't mean they can't reevaluate and change their minds. I see CSR as an indication that they may have already reconsidered.