Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Halo 5 BTB Search times / MMR issues

OP HYPE Vector

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What's up everyone. Just here trying to get some answers and possibly improve the BTB scene for everyone. As of lately it's been really hard for my team and I to find games when we are all on our mains and have 5-8 players. Anything under 5 and we normally can find games pretty quick. When we have a 5+ we are normally searching for 15-20 minutes, timing out multiple times and eventually not even getting a match. Why? Why in a social playlist is there so much restrictions. It's literally pushing players away from the game.

Can we get a ranked playlist and a social playlist that is set on finding you a game as fast as possible. Teams can run in the ranked playlist and solos / people just wanting to get a few games in quick can play in social.
They definetly affected my desire to search btb. So discusted with the wait times. Something absolutely should be changed.
Yeah that could work. Limit the fireteam size to 3 or 4 in social, and let any team size in ranked. That will protect the gold players from lopsided teams. Then on the ranked side you could open up the MMR gap a bit to encourage matches to form and you wouldn't be worried about gold's getting hurt feelings anymore because it's a ranked list.
I honestly couldn't agree more. I'd say any lobby I'm in with 6-8 players struggles to find a game in the Big Team Battle playlist.
ExO BIGG wrote:
Yeah that could work. Limit the fireteam size to 3 or 4 in social, and let any team size in ranked. That will protect the gold players from lopsided teams. Then on the ranked side you could open up the MMR gap a bit to encourage matches to form and you wouldn't be worried about gold's getting hurt feelings anymore because it's a ranked list.
Exactly! I feel this would work and still allow some players from the same Spartan company able to get games together in social. Having it ranked would allow partial teams to be closer in skill and lead to less one sided games.
I think you are requesting a ranked and social list for BTB?

The same problem you have described would exist in ranked BTB and might actually create an additional problem of splitting the BTB playing pool. I played some ranked BTB in Halo 3 (and made it to 37 somehow) - it was a ghost town at that level sometimes - you will find it very difficult to find games.
My guess is that if they loosened the skill restrictions and the team size restrictions then you would, in fact, get very fast search times. And your matches would be filled to bursting with quitters who are sick of a) being matched against players who are vastly superior to them, and b) being matched against full teams of sweats who own every single square inch of the map with every vehicle and every power weapon on lock down. So just replace your "long search times are bad for me and my team" rant with a "I hate all the quitters in this game who can't take going 4/22 like a man" rant. It's one or the other.
What's up everyone. Just here trying to get some answers and possibly improve the BTB scene for everyone. As of lately it's been really hard for my team and I to find games when we are all on our mains and have 5-8 players. Anything under 5 and we normally can find games pretty quick. When we have a 5+ we are normally searching for 15-20 minutes, timing out multiple times and eventually not even getting a match. Why? Why in a social playlist is there so much restrictions. It's literally pushing players away from the game.

Can we get a ranked playlist and a social playlist that is set on finding you a game as fast as possible. Teams can run in the ranked playlist and solos / people just wanting to get a few games in quick can play in social.
A full team of Exo = ouch, lol. Haven't matched you guys in quite a while.
My guess is that if they loosened the skill restrictions and the team size restrictions then you would, in fact, get very fast search times. And your matches would be filled to bursting with quitters who are sick of a) being matched against players who are vastly superior to them, and b) being matched against full teams of sweats who own every single square inch of the map with every vehicle and every power weapon on lock down. So just replace your "long search times are bad for me and my team" rant with a "I hate all the quitters in this game who can't take going 4/22 like a man" rant. It's one or the other.
Ya, i understand what you are saying. That is why I think a "RANKED" playlist is needed along with a social playlist. Also, i hate quitters and wish that it wasn't an option. I wish you had to power down your Xbox to leave a game. Why have a team game that is 8v8 and not like to play as a team? It doesn't make sense.

Haha, probably a good thing. We are always looking for members though if you want to join ; )
Like BTB has ever been anything but a beautiful disaster of lag and jackassery :D
BTB usually takes a little bit. I'm surprised it doesn't take longer to be honest. BTB on MCC usually finds a game within a minute or two

Haha, probably a good thing. We are always looking for members though if you want to join ; )
We always used to get an easy team to beat, then Exo. Hard to make that transition quickly. Lol.
Ya, i understand what you are saying. That is why I think a "RANKED" playlist is needed along with a social playlist. Also, i hate quitters and wish that it wasn't an option. I wish you had to power down your Xbox to leave a game. Why have a team game that is 8v8 and not like to play as a team? It doesn't make sense.
We keep talking about "social" and "ranked" as if they're synonymous with "not skill restricted" and "skill restricted," but that's not the way it works. Halo will always be skill restricted and the only differentiator between "social" and "ranked" is whether ranks are visible or not.

On the subject of quitting: Yes, I would gladly shut off my console, unplug my ethernet cable, or do whatever else was necessary, in order to quit something that isn't worth playing. No "quit match" option required.

On the subject of why would someone play big team battle (or any other team-based play list for that matter) and not like to play as a team... Are you serious? Where do I even start? To save you a rant and a wall, I'll just keep it to this: Halo 5 forces me to play team-based matches because there is virtually no other form of game play on offer in this title. Where the -yoink!- is a solo firefight game mode????
BTB usually takes a little bit. I'm surprised it doesn't take longer to be honest.
The matching for me seems faster than it's been in the recent months. Surprisingly, I've found that Team Slayer has been taking longer to find a game than BTB when I was doing my placement games and it's one of the most popular playlists.
Unfortunately I don't think that Ranked BTB will ever return. They removed it, and with the population number, more than likely being lower now, there's no way to sustain separate social and ranked playlists. I mean they're looking at merging Team Arena and HCS. So that tells me they want to consolidate more to keep the population up not further divide.

I think what needs to be done is a loosening of the team priority search times. There should be no reason why you guys don't eventually get a match. The MMR needs to be lessened as well. I can't remember exactly where the team searching is at, in terms of time limits for when the search stops prioritizing teams, but it is definitely something that needs to be looked at and changed.

I think what you guys can do, and I know you have brought it to Josh's attention already, but do it again and again and again; make it know how bad it has become. Tweet Josh with links showing a 20 min search time that ended with an unable to join. Heck I sent him one with a 4 min one, and that's nothing compared to what you guys are dealing with. Keep track of how many matches you get in one

Josh talks a lot about having fair and balanced matches, but he has also mentioned that finding games is a necessity as well. I know I've read where he states they would change things up if the search times got bad. Well it's bad.

Finally, don't hesitate to post in his thread. The last one was 12/11, but I am sure he'll get back up and running here soon. Help him see an unbalanced match is better than none at all.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Unfortunately I don't think that Ranked BTB will ever return. They removed it, and with the population number, more than likely being lower now, there's no way to sustain separate social and ranked playlists. I mean they're looking at merging Team Arena and HCS. So that tells me they want to consolidate more to keep the population up not further divide.

I think what needs to be done is a loosening of the team priority search times. There should be no reason why you guys don't eventually get a match. The MMR needs to be lessened as well. I can't remember exactly where the team searching is at, in terms of time limits for when the search stops prioritizing teams, but it is definitely something that needs to be looked at and changed.

I think what you guys can do, and I know you have brought it to Josh's attention already, but do it again and again and again; make it know how bad it has become. Tweet Josh with links showing a 20 min search time that ended with an unable to join. Heck I sent him one with a 4 min one, and that's nothing compared to what you guys are dealing with. Keep track of how many matches you get in one

Josh talks a lot about having fair and balanced matches, but he has also mentioned that finding games is a necessity as well. I know I've read where he states they would change things up if the search times got bad. Well it's bad.

Finally, don't hesitate to post in his thread. The last one was 12/11, but I am sure he'll get back up and running here soon. Help him see an unbalanced match is better than none at all.
I appreciate your input bud. Ya i totally agree that at some point we need to just load into a match. I have multiple streams where i stream for 4-5 hours and only get like 4-6 games. I will tweet at him and link him some clips hopefully it will help.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
BTB usually takes a little bit. I'm surprised it doesn't take longer to be honest.
The matching for me seems faster than it's been in the recent months. Surprisingly, I've found that Team Slayer has been taking longer to find a game than BTB when I was doing my placement games and it's one of the most popular playlists.
Solo queing isnt a problem. I can solo que in BTB and get games within minutes. But, when we are trying to play the playlist as a team we never get matches.
We keep talking about "social" and "ranked" as if they're synonymous with "not skill restricted" and "skill restricted," but that's not the way it works. Halo will always be skill restricted and the only differentiator between "social" and "ranked" is whether ranks are visible or not.

On the subject of quitting: Yes, I would gladly shut off my console, unplug my ethernet cable, or do whatever else was necessary, in order to quit something that isn't worth playing. No "quit match" option required.

On the subject of why would someone play big team battle (or any other team-based play list for that matter) and not like to play as a team... Are you serious? Where do I even start? To save you a rant and a wall, I'll just keep it to this: Halo 5 forces me to play team-based matches because there is virtually no other form of game play on offer in this title. Where the -yoink!- is a solo firefight game mode????
You don't understand my context of me mentioning why someone would join a team based game. When we tweeted Josh about our issues he replied that there is party restrictions forcing teams to play in smaller party sizes or solo searching. That you will find games faster in smaller parties or solo. My comment was directed at that. Why design a playlist with team sizes and not let full teams actually play it.

You don't understand my context of me mentioning why someone would join a team based game. When we tweeted Josh about our issues he replied that there is party restrictions forcing teams to play in smaller party sizes or solo searching. That you will find games faster in smaller parties or solo. My comment was directed at that. Why design a playlist with team sizes and not let full teams actually play it.
They DO let you play in full teams, but you are going to play people in your teams skill range. There aren't notably a ton of good full teams that run in BTB so you have to wait for them to be on in order to consistently play.

Me, I refuse to play BTB for this reason on top of matches becoming extremely boring. You fight for kills in Slayer because it turns into 8v3 nearly every match and you end up sitting around half the time. Those games happen every match because we stomp and steanroll through most people we play.

So now we play at most in 4s or 5s and screw around half the time. Much faster matching and games are alot more fun and intense than straight blowouts.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2