Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Halo 5: Can't Join Friend on the Same Network

OP SuperSonic763

My friend and I were very excited for the release of Halo 5 Guardians. Unfortunately, the game seems to not like the idea of letting friends play together. Now, I haven't tried joining friends elsewhere, but trying to join my friend who is on the same local network as me has proven to be impossible.

I find it ridiculous that this is an issue, given that 343 has opted to leave out something as simply as LAN.

Here's a video I took to show this issue in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z59rUpoOKSk&feature=youtu.be
I'm having the same problem. Everytime I get into my friends campaign game it loads the game, allows me to pick the character, and gets me in the game. Shortly after, as in like less then 5 secs, I get kicked out of the campaign game and out of Halo 5 entirely. I just want to enjoy Halo and it isn't letting me do that.
Because I have a second modem and splitter, I was able to get the game running by hooking each console to a different modem. So the issue is isolated to people joining each other over a local network.

Let's be real for a second here, most people don't have a second modem and it's ridiculous that you must go to such lengths to play with someone in the same household as you. Seeing as the game lacks split-screen or LAN, those who wish to play with others in their own residence are out of luck. That's just total crap for everyone who's dedicated to the franchise enough to have 2 XBox Ones and 2 copies of the game under one roof.

On a similar note, why the heck does this game lack proper LAN play? LAN would ensure this crap didn't happen!
I had the exact same problem with campaign.
My Roommate and I are both on NXOE but are able to play consistently together when only one Xbox is on the network. We have discovered that the first person with that is connected to Halo 5 will have the consistent connection.

The person who signs in second can get into about 1 of every 4-5 matches. This is such crap, cause there is no split screen and then i can't even play on the same network on different Xbox consoles. This counts for any matches Arena, custom, campaign, and Warzone. Warzone is probably the worst to try to connect to.

We have tried everything from restarting the Xbox to unplugging them and switching which person gets disconnected consistently, but we are fairly certain it has to do with us being on the same network. We have a steady 60 MBps download and 12 MBps upload.
Because I have a second modem and splitter, I was able to get the game running by hooking each console to a different modem. So the issue is isolated to people joining each other over a local network.

Let's be real for a second here, most people don't have a second modem and it's ridiculous that you must go to such lengths to play with someone in the same household as you. Seeing as the game lacks split-screen or LAN, those who wish to play with others in their own residence are out of luck. That's just total crap for everyone who's dedicated to the franchise enough to have 2 XBox Ones and 2 copies of the game under one roof.

On a similar note, why the heck does this game lack proper LAN play? LAN would ensure this crap didn't happen!
When 343i takes one step forward, they take 5000000000 steps back. Radar sucks -Yoink-. No split screen or LAN. like srsly wtf 343. get ur head outta ur rear!
Same issues here. Never happened with other multiplayer games. Sometimes one of us disconnects and sometimes not. Hope this is an issue 343 can and will fix. Not looking forward to having to spend a lot of money just to play warzone with my brother.
We seriously need LAN in Halo 5. I don't care how hard it is or how long it takes; add LAN to this game. It would help people playing with friends, help tournaments, and ensure longevity of the game beyond the single-player campaign.
LAN should be in every bloody game that has co-op and such. Halo 5 will never have LAN, but Halo 6 should and better!! Seeing is how we know now that it can be done on xbox one
A campaign designed for co-op play from the ground up with no split screen or even LAN, that's a joke. :D