1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I've been playing Fortnite and Pubg the last few months. Playing those games of course got me thinking of what a Halo Battle Royale game could look like. I wanted to discuss what a Halo Battle Royale (Halo: Drop Zone?) could look like.

My ideas so far: (The explanation will be in parentheses)

1. Drop in as ODST's (A UNSC ship could pass over an area and you drop into the battlefield just like every other Battle Royale game)

2. Start with Combat Knife and no armor while looking for loot. (4 hits from front to kill someone, 1 from the back for a quick assassination) (Weapons and Armor upgrades can be found throughout map)

3. Weapon attachments. (Use Halo 5 WZ for reference here: Supressors and scopes can be found on map and attached to weapons.

4. Replace H1Z1's gas for the Flood Fog. (So imagine if what was pushing you into the middle of the map was a flood infested fog. Where it's hard to see and if you got stuck in the fog, random flood tentacles would lash out and hurt your health)

5. Weapon changing. (Halo weapons across the board would have to be nerfed and redesigned (OR new weapons developed just for this mode). The sniper rifle especially would make this game ridiculous unless we make the bullet drop from the Aimee over distances. You could chalk recoil and such things as "ODST's don't hold weapons as steady as Spartans" but the way bullets work in halo may have to change up.

I'd really like to see this as an additional gametype for Halo 6 or maybe a standalone Battle Royale game similar to Fortnite BR.

Let me me know your thoughts, criticisms, and ideas. Let me know why this can/can't happen. Thanks in advanced!
Never having played any of those games, this is all pretty novel to me. I like the idea a lot, although I imagine that 343 would have a hard time trying to figure out just how much overlap there would be with warzone, and if it would strain the population.

That said, everything you mentioned seems completely do-able except the idea of changing the characteristics of existing weapons or creating new versions that are game mode specific. To me that seems like a really bad idea in that it completely undermines the consistency that I rely on in order to be even marginally functional in this game. I already hate picking up or calling in warzone weapon variants because I don't know what they do and I don't want to die a million times trying to learn. It seems as if an entirely new weapon set would make an already serious (to me) problem even worse. Why specifically would the current weapon set not lend itself to this game mode? You mentioned the sniper rifle in particular. How about not having sniper rifles in the game mode, or if they're there then have them drop with very little ammo? Would those kinds of fixes be workable?
No reason to make a gametype that is currently overused by other games. Battle Royale style games is just the current fad, everyone was making MOBAs a few years ago and now its BR games. Jumping on the bandwagon doesn't usually work because there is no longer an open niche for that type of game.
DoubleSama wrote:
No reason to make a gametype that is currently overused by other games. Battle Royale style games is just the current fad, everyone was making MOBAs a few years ago and now its BR games. Jumping on the bandwagon doesn't usually work because there is no longer an open niche for that type of game.
See, this is why Halo 3 was so great: no fads, no gimmicks, just pure all-out customisation.

They made the most basic game they could think of (I remember people laughing at Halo 1 for "only letting you use 2 weapons" at the time) and then said, "If you want zombies (infection) or soccer (grifball) or Jenga or MLG or whatever else... make it yourself!!"

This made the game accessible to anyone, you could hand the controller to someone who never played an FPS and they could manage.
... and then once you were hooked, you realised there were another 800 different game modes & communities out there to try out.

Anything beyond the most basic stuff, you built it yourself with Forge & shared it through File Share, Friends list & custom games.
It was the facebook before facebook existed, the minecraft before minecraft existed.

Halo 3 was more than just a success of lucky timing, it succeeded for precisely the fact that it didn't try to mimic any of these trends, but rather it let you decide which gametypes were worthy of being built & shared.

@OP:
It's sad that 343 didn't have a full feature Forge at launch.. but it's there now and you might actually be able to build it yourself already tbh, the main limitation of course being map size & player count.
Halo 5 Battle Royale/Battlegrounds custom on Down the Road
Halo 5 Battle Royale/Battlegrounds custom on Bad Lands
Halo 5 Battle Royale/Battlegrounds custom on Bandit Island
Supposedly there are several other customized maps too for this game-type. You can occasionally find someone running one of these lobbies on the Custom Browser.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Although I respect your idea and think that the overall concept is cool, there is just something so "unhalo" about this and other battle Royale game modes. I personally wouldn't like to see it. However I wouldn't mind a flood survival game mode.
Yeah I can't follow suit with this. Halo revolutionizes multiplayer, not follows. Also dividing the community when the Battle Royale type of gameplay is going to oversaturate the market is another bad idea. If you want it then play Fortnite or PUBG. Leave Halo as Halo; an Arena shooter.
Thread is probably getting into the thread bumping territory, but like I've said in the other BR thread, NO.
This. is. HALO!

I can guarantee that this will not happen in Halo 6. If anything another completely different game will be created like Halo: Wars.
All you nay sayers... think of it for just a minute. Massive open map with squads utilizing vehicles and unleashing hell. Also halo hasnt really came upbwith anyrhing new in a while. Sure call warzone a redifining of the game, but personally i hated it. You cant say it doesn't follow when it clearly takes ques from call of duty in the pacing and the aim down sight mechanics in Gaurdians. If it splinters the player base, an easy solution would be to put it in rotation, leavinf your precious warzone unafflicted by decrease in olayer base. In turn creating excitement and hype when the BR mode is up. Also, if any studio could make a game like that look good and run at 60 fps on xbox its 343.
All you nay sayers... think of it for just a minute. Massive open map with squads utilizing vehicles and unleashing hell. Also halo hasnt really came upbwith anyrhing new in a while. Sure call warzone a redifining of the game, but personally i hated it. You cant say it doesn't follow when it clearly takes ques from call of duty in the pacing and the aim down sight mechanics in Gaurdians. If it splinters the player base, an easy solution would be to put it in rotation, leavinf your precious warzone unafflicted by decrease in olayer base. In turn creating excitement and hype when the BR mode is up. Also, if any studio could make a game like that look good and run at 60 fps on xbox its 343.
I think you should listen to the rest of the thread. A Halo BR would not work, it wouldn't be fun because they would have to change so much of the game mechanics that it would split the community into two different groups of gamers. 343 is not going to make this. If you want to play it I think you are going to have to make it yourself.
I wish the games like the OP mentioned provided infinite deathmatch servers with respawning loot.
You just join and fight, die, and re-drop until you're done playing and quit, and of course there could be objectives to complete and challenges to do, like every 5 minutes awarding each player that has the most kills, highest KD, most objectives captured.. etc for that 5 minutes... I just think it would be really fun.
All you nay sayers... think of it for just a minute. Massive open map with squads utilizing vehicles and unleashing hell. Also halo hasnt really came upbwith anyrhing new in a while. Sure call warzone a redifining of the game, but personally i hated it. You cant say it doesn't follow when it clearly takes ques from call of duty in the pacing and the aim down sight mechanics in Gaurdians. If it splinters the player base, an easy solution would be to put it in rotation, leavinf your precious warzone unafflicted by decrease in olayer base.
First of all, stop assuming that we all love Warzone (your precious). I think we all know that 343 has followed small trends in the past, but that doesn't mean they have to continue following trends. Doing this would be so obvious that they're only looking at chasing the coattails of something popular hoping to make a quick buck that they would lose all credibility in my eyes at being any kind of innovative studio. It would also confirm to me that they don't have Halo's best interest in mind considering they don't want to mold Halo into what made it great, but instead just change to it to whatever is popular at the time and hope people play it.

That being said, if they wanted to set up custom game options so it was easier for people to make those type of games, then I would be perfectly fine with that.
It'd have to be in teams, odsts or spartans or marines vs elites or brutes, they'd be launched from pods or dropped by dropships into famiar places like Mombasa or Arcadia, or new Alexandria and fight to the last man or until one team is standing. All vehicles and weapons would be lore friendly like you wouldn't see a mantis in Mombasa or a railgun in Arcadia
Or a spartan simulation with teams that works like the idea I listed above
Why saturate that market? Why not just have fortnite make a masterchief costume? Problem solved. Theres your halo battle royal.
But at this point I can actually see Halo as a battle royal. Not that I want that. But Halo is in the Hands of a development team notorious for taking elements of other games and mashing it together with no thoughts of “is this fun” or “will it work”.
Halo used to revolutionize. Thats what made it the household name. 343 is looking at other games for inspiration instead of the one thats right in front of them. No creativity. And all the wrong creativity is praised. I wonder what the thinking table looks like over there.
The best I can describe it is the key and peele gremlins skit.
I'd like these games a lot better if they weren't one life / last man standing.

Why can't we just have 100 player free for alls on a huge map with respawning players, respawning loot, and cycling objectives where players can show up, play until they get bored, and leave... honestly I would LOVE that.
this would have to be a stand alone title as opposed to an add on or game mode within a game. The mechanics and everything would be too different to have inside of another game. I like the idea and a halo themed battle royale would, if done correctly, be more popular than current battle royal games. If it offered the same gameplay as fortnite or PUBG with a halo theme it would draw players from both fan bases.
*sorry for my bad english*

first watch that video and say again it doesn't look fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMqv3GeFW4M

I think BR would perfectly fit in to the halo universe/story. If you read the books you know there was a "filtering" process to become a spartan. I think it's an awesome idea to drop in as ODST and came out as the last/first Spartan.
All the REQ packs with all the different weapons, vehicles, and perks (run faster, dealing more damage, camo...) and the huge maps...sorry but I think thats made for BR. Even the Forge Mode is made for casual gaming/maps like this. I playing Halo since CE and I love ranked/competitive gaming, but this ugly forge maps don't belong there (how many of them do you see in HWC?).
You could even combine Firefight/Warzone and BR, for example you have to fight some AI's to get better weapons.
In my opinion BR is a casual game typ, and to say it doesn't belongs to halo, it's like saying BTB doesn't belongs to it...
That is the one of the best ideas in a while!!!!!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3