[Locked] HCS Summer Preview - Official Feedback Thread

OP Unyshek

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
This playlist just feels so much more competitive so it makes those wins actually feel meaningful since you have to work harder or be more skillful with your shots than before.
^^^ This. Meaningful wins. There have been so many close games in this playlist that my team actually reacts out loud to the outcome of some games. Like watching football or hockey on TV. Sudden death 49-49. Get the win, everybody cheers. Lose and "Ahhhhh noooo!"
That's what halo fans live for!
Exactly, so many nailbiters! Just tonight I had a CTF game on Truth finish 3-2 in overtime that was just insane (teammate got a goal line stand to save the winning flag from being capped and gave us a shot in overtime) and a 100-97 Plaza Strongholds which seemed like it was going to be an easy win since we took a pretty big lead early, only for the other team to make a ridiculous comeback and take the lead, but we managed to get a triple cap when the score was I think 97-93 (with us at 93). My team won both of these so we were obviously ecstatic, but even the opposing teams was commenting on how fun and close the games were in the post game lobby and everyone was even bringing up specific plays and giving each other props, I don't think I've ever experienced something like that before. I'm having more fun in the playlist (even when I lose) than I've had on Halo in a while.
Dont BIink wrote:
- make it BR start (lesson auto aim parameters)
When halo 5 first came out, all I heard was "we wanted to make the Spartans feel powerful again". What part of going into combat with a side arm makes you feel powerful? A Pistol that only has the ability to kill two people with a single clip? I find myself preemptively reloading more than anything.
Is the pistol a necessary starting weapon To help matches feel more intimate and fast paced? Or are the maps not structured around team setups that rely on support shooting from across the map (which the pistol is not consistently capable of)?
-also bring back oddball
and not that keep away, Hail Mary across the map BS. Oddball used to my favorite game type. Not sure where it went...

plz listen to the community. Halo 1-3 aren't regarded as some of the best competitive first person shooters of all time, because bungie got in the way of the competitive community and told them what the best way was to play their game. MLG took what gametypes they were playing on live and at lans and gave us a venue to compete. We know what we want.
I agree 100%. I've asked a couple times why so many are opposed to BR starts and most of the time the answer I get is that it's too powerful. But it was powerful in previous Halo's as well and was always a starting weapon. It always felt like the most powerful non-power weapon gun you could get. I do agree that the magnetism and auto aim would need to be nerfed, but they've done that with other weapons (plasma caster and sniper rifle while not scoped in, come to mind) I don't see why they couldn't nerf the BR enough to make it a bit more skillful and make it a starting weapon. I don't mind the pistol, but like you said, it's a sidearm, it shouldn't be a primary weapon in my opinion. Plus, it gets really old getting betrayed when you're trying to go for a BR, that used to be reserved for sniper and rockets (except maybe back in the non-MLG playlists in Halo 3 that weren't always BR start).
Having been able to play this playlist for a decent number of games i feel it is a vast improvement for competitive settings over older arena settings.

There are a couple of issues that could still be addressed though and these will no doubt have been covered already but ill repeat anyway.

More pistol starting ammo - At least an extra clip
larger pistol clip - probably 16 would be good, allows for 3 perfect kills with a single extra bullet (if this was enacted the need for an extra clip would be removed)
Remove most of the rifles - Carbine and BR are way too easy to use compared to the pistol. Personally all could be remove but at least limit them to one per map. An example is Coliseum where there are 4 rifles (2 DMR, 1 BR, 1 Carbine) as well as 2 power weapons. Remove BR and Carbine altogether as they are placed right next to PWs anyway. Maybe replace with pistol ammo.

Removal of splinter nades and ARs is the best decision yet. The SA radar seems to work well although maybe remove shooting showing up.

Overall though its a great playlist
Dont BIink wrote:
When halo 5 first came out, all I heard was "we wanted to make the Spartans feel powerful again". What part of going into combat with a side arm makes you feel powerful? A Pistol that only has the ability to kill two people with a single clip? I find myself preemptively reloading more than anything.
Is the pistol a necessary starting weapon To help matches feel more intimate and fast paced? Or are the maps not structured around team setups that rely on support shooting from across the map (which the pistol is not consistently capable of)?
-also bring back oddball
and not that keep away, Hail Mary across the map BS. Oddball used to my favorite game type. Not sure where it went...

plz listen to the community. Halo 1-3 aren't regarded as some of the best competitive first person shooters of all time, because bungie got in the way of the competitive community and told them what the best way was to play their game. MLG took what gametypes they were playing on live and at lans and gave us a venue to compete. We know what we want.
I think that we have to stop thinking about wath was the past of Halo. In my opinion you cant make BR star again even if u decrease the auto aim assist because it would make H5 the same of H4 with an OP BR that would destroy the game. H5 is too fast u have to make different decisions every few seconds and if everyone as a BR on their hands you won't be able to play what the games wants to offert you. We will just all get melted by br teamshoots, just think about how (now) when u get teamshooted with the pistol u get melted in a second. If they will put BR as a start weapon we will be unable to move around the map and the game will be extremly passive and it will lose speed and competition. That's my opinion ( I played h2 and h3 so i know what you are talkin about but we can't go back now it's too late )
Pros:

- Emphasis on precision weapons.
- BMS w/ some sprinting in certain situations.

Cons:

- Radar is too large, at 24m. Should go back down to 18m.
- Can't YY nade anymore off spawn.
- Rifles are really showing just how much stronger they are than the magnum, especially on maps like Truth.
- Magnum ammo should exist on maps. This is a given.
- Individual strength has been effectively cleaved in half, teamshot is too strong at the moment with little options around that, as seen in pro scrims so far.

I'm split on other topics too, like whether we should rotate to the Extended Mag or just spawn with extra mags for the magnum.

I feel that if we're going to keep magnum only starts, there needs to be more power-ups on map spawning either more frequently or staggered spawns.

Rifles at the moment act like minor power weapons compared to everything else on map/off spawn. I don't think that these weapons should be given for free in certain locations like the LRs on Fathom, the DMRs on Coli, the BRs on Eden, the BRs on Plaza, etc.. While I'm not promoting purely the placement of these weapons exclusively on the 50 yard line like on Truth, they either need to be placed in positions not advantageous to them (move BR on Truth to bottom mid as an extreme example) or heavily, heavily limited in their usage.
One thing I forgot to mention are the amount of quits. I feel like there are 3v4s every second game after some leaves within the first minutes. Or are these quits lagouts?
This has been my experience too. Actually, all but a couple of the games I've played in this playlist have been 3v4s (or worse, even had one 1v4). It was pretty clear that a lot of these quits happened when the score became pretty lopsided, but in at least one of them (the 1v4 is the one that specifically comes to mind) they quit out before the game had actually started. Not sure if that could've been a lagout, but several of the others obviously weren't.
That's what I meant: when it's an uneven match from the start it's probably because someone lagged out but I was wanted to know if others make this experience, too.
Also, the sentinel beam needs to be placed on some maps.
It seems my interest in competitive Halo is now at an end. I was happy to see a competitive scene that featured the full game, not some watered down vanilla version of reduced variables a handful of the player base deemed the superior player quality. I guess it could only last so long.

If this is what the "pros" want, then let them have it. I played two games in the preview before confirming my suspicions: it's just as boring as the old competitive stuff. I'll just go back to not being a fan of it. It's a shame, I'd enjoyed it thus far. Thanks for at least giving your game a shot, 343.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Like when the game first came out they were powerful you would throw it at the ground while someone was chasing you and they would die. But one of the large updates came out and made it so u throw it at the floor and it it just takes off there shield.
This is actually the reason why they were taken out. Despite it being fun and smart to use the splinter to insta-kill someone chasing you, but it was never what it was intended for. They weren't supposed to be a sort of surprise / "get out of jail free" card to someone chasing you.

They were supposed to be an area of denial tool to help map control, and deter players from taking certain routes.

But since they were so easy to use as a low-skill, surprise insta-kill weapon, we had to remove them. That was never their intended role.
On that note I and a few other competitive players thought how could you possibly improve it?
  1. Grenade has to deal enough damage to make enemies fear it. If you make the splinter grenade too weak it would make players loose respect and care for the grenade and the area denied.... so it needs to make them at least weak enough to warrant some fear or risk but not enough to be a crutch..... perhaps making them one shot? Like an EMP grenade that does very minimum health damage.
  2. Repulse effect or a knock back that if a player attempts to pass through the grenade they are repelled back, essentially becoming a temporal wall for a period.
I also think we should get more starting ammo for our guns Ace TunaSub
I disagree with adding extra magnum clips on start.
I think it is our responsability to move and find ammo: it makes games more dynamic as it forces people to move.

That's just my point of view, I love this playlist!
Syxnrgy wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
On that note I and a few other competitive players thought how could you possibly improve it?
  1. Grenade has to deal enough damage to make enemies fear it. If you make the splinter grenade too weak it would make players loose respect and care for the grenade and the area denied.... so it needs to make them at least weak enough to warrant some fear or risk but not enough to be a crutch..... perhaps making them one shot? Like an EMP grenade that does very minimum health damage.
  2. Repulse effect or a knock back that if a player attempts to pass through the grenade they are repelled back, essentially becoming a temporal wall for a period.
That's what I've been suggesting as well. Basically have all the physics of a Spartan charge in grenade form.
Syxnrgy wrote:
I'm not a weapon guy, but another idea is to put a delay on when the splinters are effective, so maybe they have to spread out a bit first before doing damage. Just to prevent the surprise burst.

This post has been hidden.

Dont BIink wrote:
-also bring back oddball

I agree 100%. I've asked a couple times why so many are opposed to BR starts and most of the time the answer I get is that it's too powerful. But it was powerful in previous Halo's as well and was always a starting weapon. It always felt like the most powerful non-power weapon gun you could get. I do agree that the magnetism and auto aim would need to be nerfed, but they've done that with other weapons (plasma caster and sniper rifle while not scoped in, come to mind) I don't see why they couldn't nerf the BR enough to make it a bit more skillful and make it a starting weapon. I don't mind the pistol, but like you said, it's a sidearm, it shouldn't be a primary weapon in my opinion. Plus, it gets really old getting betrayed when you're trying to go for a BR, that used to be reserved for sniper and rockets (except maybe back in the non-MLG playlists in Halo 3 that weren't always BR start).
It has nothing to do with it being too "powerful".It has way too much -Yoinking!- aim assist to be a skillful utility weapon.
The hydra on eden needs increased spawn time, 20secs is way too frequent the sniper doesn't spawn every 20 so neither should hydra in my opinion. Also remove radar!
Eh... I'm mixed on it.

Camping and nade spam are still consistent problems in this playlist, and the overuse of team shot seems to be more of a problem than it used to be. As for the claim of "solos can't match with other solos", yes they can, and yes they should. Right now the preview is a living hell for solo players, which shouldn't be the case. If you're playing halo, you shouldn't be punished for your preferred style of matchmaking. Further more, CQC (and arguably some mid-range engagements) have come down to "who can be an opportunist and double melee/teamshot first?" rather than what it should be which is "Which person can lands the shots needed to kill the other person?"

The good things are that weapons spawn less frequently, and that some weapons actually have a decent purpose as a backup weapon now (in case you run out of ammo for your magnum.) I can actually see a reason to pickup the needler or boltshot now, as they aren't easily outclassed by other potential weapons, and because your ammo count isn't filled to the brim in terms of bullets for the magnum.

Overall, these aren't bad changes, but there is still room for improvement.
I totally agree. 343 Industries shouldn't punish you because you prefer to go solo to grind for Champion in the playlist, or go in as a team. But unfortunately, it still happens today. About average players are trying to play solo, and are always matching up against way better players on the enemy team, when the solo player's M.M.R (Matchmaking Rank) is not even that high, while below-average and new players are selected for the other team, even with the proper search preference selected, such as "Focused" or "Balanced". I suggest that 343 Industries updates the search preferences for allowing players to search for players based on the average C.S.R (Competitive Skill Rank) in their fire-team, instead of only the skill range of the fire-team alone. For example, a fireteam is made up of a Champion 200, Onyx 1506, Champion 109, and a Diamond 4. They should match up against Champions between 150-75, Onyxs between 1500-1650, and Diamonds no lower than Diamond 4. If they would win the match, their C.S.R would dramatically decrease or increase, based on their individual K.D.A (One teammate who only gets about 10 kills, and around 18 deaths, shouldn't effect the average C.S.R of the rest of the team, or, someone who never died in an objective game, shouldn't significantly increase the C.S.R for everybody else, just because one person destroyed the enemy team with high multi-kills like a Killtrocity, unlike how Free-for-All C.S.R works). And the number of objectives (Strongholds or flags) captured, to see how player's skill-range revolves around teamwork with completing objectives. If they would lose, their C.S.R will decrease, as well as their M.M.R. By means of which, if someone were to lose his/her Champion status in a team playlist like Team Arena, then he/she will have to grind to regain Champion by matching up against high Onyxs (2000-2500) and low Champions no higher than 150 on both teams, instead of the dedicated servers favoring the winning teams only with the best players in the world.
Dont BIink wrote:
-also bring back oddball

It has nothing to do with it being too "powerful".It has way too much -Yoinking!- aim assist to be a skillful utility weapon.
Which is why I said it would need to be nerfed.
Dont BIink wrote:
-also bring back oddball

Which is why I said it would need to be nerfed.
Considering it took a year and a half for us to get autos removed in this playlist I'm going to be realistic and say expecting a battle rifle nerf is unrealistic.Either way unless you had the h3 br but you didn't have the last two random bullets in the spread it would be much easier to use than a single -Yoink- weapon.Even with the h3 be you can still do drag headshots.
I think only having one grenade from the start would be good so grenade spams won't be problem but so far i like everything but should only have one grenade from the start.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7