Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] HCS Summer Preview - Version 2 - Feedback Thread

OP Unyshek

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Thanks for providing your feedback on HCS Summer Preview's first iteration of settings! We've taken your input into consideration and have updated the HCS Summer Preview playlist with its second round of settings.

Now that these changes are live, we wanted to start up another thread to gather your most recent feedback. If you'd like to learn more about the HCS Summer Preview playlist, you can read up on the first iteration here and the second iteration here. I've also included the "version 2" change-list in the replies below.

Just like before, feel free to leave feedback on the maps (including weapon placements), modes, Motion Sensor, overall gameplay, and anything else that you'd like to bring to our attention.

Play some games when you can, and let us know what you think!
- Uny
GAME VARIANT CHANGES
In addition to the version 1 changes listed here, the following change is reflected in version 2:
  • Changed Magnum starting Primary Rounds from Default to 60
Halo Multiplayer Team: After removing the Assault Rifle from competitive play for this season, we saw a considerable amount of feedback from the players that they didn’t respawn with enough ammo. By doubling the reserve ammo, we’re hoping to see players feel a bit more comfortable with the trusty Magnum.
MAP-BY-MAP CHANGES
In addition to the version 1 changes listed here, the following map changes are reflected in version 2:

Truth
  • Removed Covenant Carbine from Carbine Tower Two
Halo Multiplayer Team: One of the most common feedback themes we’ve discussed with players is the balance of rifles on Truth. We’ve taken a close look at the power the Covenant Carbine has on the map – especially its long-range effectiveness against unsuspecting targets. While we’re still searching for the right balance on this map, based on feedback, we’re removing the Carbine from the equation for the time being, and will review the impact on gameplay.
  • Moved Battle Rifle from Pink Tower Two to Carbine Tower Two
Halo Multiplayer Team: In addition to the above, we’ll be moving the Battle Rifle to the top level of Carbine Tower to alleviate some of the strength that Pink Tower will receive with the removal of the Covenant Carbine.

Eden
  • Added Plasma Pistol in Security [Slayer Only]
Halo Multiplayer Team: With the addition of the Overshield located Outside in the Slayer variant of Eden, players suggested the Plasma Pistol as a potential counter option. In order to help balance the strong power-up, we’ve added the nifty “pea shooter” over in Security.
  • Set Plasma Pistol respawn time to 20 seconds [Slayer Only]
Fathom
  • Added Tactical Magnums in Red and Blue Tree House
Halo Multiplayer Team: Several HCS pro players were interested in testing out the Tactical Magnum in HCS settings to add a bit of precision variety. As a result, we’re excited to bring these stealthy pistols into play to see their competitive Arena potential. If you’re not familiar with the Tactical Magnum, this variant allows you to both be effective at distance as well as sneaky up close -- it is equipped with a silencer as well as a 2x mid-range Smart-Link scope.
  • Set Tactical Magnum respawn time to 40 seconds and despawn time to 30 seconds
Halo Multiplayer Team: The Tactical Magnum’s default settings are in line with Tier 1 weapons, but include a faster despawn time of 5 seconds. We’re bringing its respawn and despawn times in line with the rest of the Tier 1 weapons placed on our HCS map variants.
These are all good changes
Changes are awesome! Would love to see Tactical Magnums on other maps with Camo. I'm thinking P2 to balance the BR on Truth, In place of the DMRs on Empire, inside Red on Eden Strongholds, and Bottom Nest on The Rig.

I also hope we can see the Sentinel Beam in some capacity. Maybe on a 3 minute weapon pad (or T2 timer) in place of Caster on Regret? Caster isn't seeing much use since being nerfed.
Great stuff! All I regret is that these changes are coming sooo late :( Hopefully you already have enough info to have a solid competitive experience when H6 launches... and not more than a year later.
Destiny 2will be out soon and this game will be kinda empty.
I'll be here though, I never go anywhere.
Also.. can weapons that have less than 15% ammo just de-spawn. Not everyone loves grabbing a 1 bullet BR.

Edit:Nothing important but.. Can we put the playlist at the top of the ranked playlist list? I mean, it is going to be the official ranked mode isn't it? it also is the featured playlist. I keep clicking arena and I'm avoiding social stuff if you know what i mean :p
Don't mind starting with pistol, but agree with other comments about having more bullets by default.
Not a fan of the damage settings for the magnum. Doesn't make sense that time to kill with a pistol is generally faster than with battle rifle, dmr, or light rifle. Creates a disincentive to use those weapons because they are not as powerful. But does that make any sense? A pistol more powerful than a battle rifle?
I'm only an average skilled player, and seems like matchmaking is unfairly skewed towards higher levels.
Bring back AR starts or I'm leaving.
You do understand that this affects only one playlist and HCS settings, and that every other playlist still has AR starts, right? So you don't have to leave, you just have to not play HCS Summer Preview.
Pistol only starts are amazing! It plays so well (Consider doing this across the board please, especially in Team Slayer!) ...though I do think maybe 1-2 autos on the map as pick up weapons would be a good idea. Maybe only in certain game modes like Strongholds or something. Kind of like how you removed sword from truth in CTF games.

I'm not sure on the map yet, but I would really love to see the Grenade launcher on a map. Maybe Rig? I just think it could be such a great weapon with trick shots and such. I know it was there once, but sometimes I think Plasma caster should be back on Truth. Maybe in Slayer only game type. I know it sounds crazy, but maybe put two of them in, one at the bottom of each base. Be interesting to try.

Over all I like it so far. I just think Pistol only starts works so well and should be in across the board is, it makes players go out of there way to get a better or other weapon and it cuts down on autos a lot. I don't have an auto issue, but there are just too many on maps across all playlists I feel right now. Sometimes there could be 10 autos at one time on a map.

Will say more once I play more of it, but keep it up.

PS I think Waypoint should do more poll questions asking us questions (Should autos be in competitive play, should Halo have sprint, would you prefer ADS style zooming over an updated classic style zooming and so on) I think this would be a great way to get information as well.
Cool to hear the pros are at least open to trying out another magnum.

Though if it's still highly in the testing phase, it would have been nice to first try out the Gunfighter Magnum as a secondary instead of increased ammo, since it's a bit more difficult to use but faster to swap to for multi-kills.

Great call bringing in the pea shooter.

Dislike the removal of carbine, it's pretty much the only thing left for variety on Truth.
Just put the BRs back to bottom of the bases to give a way to counter out of being trapped.

This playlist is specifically made for competitive play.
If you support the current version of the AR, then you not the correct demographic for which they are seeking feedback.
I'm not going to lie, I love these changes!
I especially love no splinter grenades, it was in opinion, to unfair to throw one down a tight entrance and block it for the 5 seconds or so. That could be just me though, I'd be interested in seeing how they perform if their time on field was reduce to like 1 second.

For me not starting with the AR has really upped my magnum game. I did read the post that the AR was possibly OP and I never felt that but not being able to see the data I wouldn't know.

Any how, this is pretty much the only playlist I play now because I feel it is just so balanced. I do want AR starts to come back but only after they are balanced obviously.

This playlist though just feels to me like Halo, it's competitive, it's fair, and it's just fun. In the few nights I've played it I've had those "Halo" games where it was down to the wire and only one kill separated the win/loss. Even if I lose, those are awesome games because it was evenly matched.

Keep it up!
i think that all this is great but i would remove all hydra launchers on all maps
Cool to hear the pros are at least open to trying out another magnum.

Though if it's still highly in the testing phase, it would have been nice to first try out the Gunfighter Magnum as a secondary instead of increased ammo, since it's a bit more difficult to use but faster to swap to for multi-kills.

Great call bringing in the pea shooter.

Dislike the removal of carbine, it's pretty much the only thing left for variety on Truth.
Just put the BRs back to bottom of the bases to give a way to counter out of being trapped.

If you support the current version of the AR, then you not the correct demographic for which they are seeking feedback.
i would recommend you play team skirmish
i think that all this is great but i would remove all hydra launchers on all maps
Yes, please.
The hydra is fine as a power weapon. It requires a decent amount of time to lock on, and as such, can easily be countered with well placed shots. If you can manage to hit the two shots needed to kill the person (or one shot to get them to one shot) then you should be rewarded for playing patiently and waiting for the right moment to shoot the weapon.

As for v2 - I'm fine with the addition of tactical magnums, but I think the reserves have a bit TOO much ammo now. The whole thing I liked about v1 is that the lack of ammo encouraged you to use other weapons on the battlefield as killing tools, and as a reward, you would typically gain the upper hand (and maybe some ammo, too.) With v2, There's pretty much no reason to pick up a bolt shot, needler, or anything of the sort because of how much ammo you have for the magnum. As a result, variety and strategy is somewhat limited now as the magnum rains superior over other potential weapons.

Yes, you could pick up a boltshot or needler as a utility to Y-Y now, but I'd rather see it serve as something more useful in the meta, and not just a tool that enables you to Y-Y your grenades. Otherwise, we might as well equip everyone with an AR with only 1 bullet in it for all of their Y-Y needs.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. The AR DOES NOT need a nerf. It just needs to stay out of the competitive scene so that people won't complain about it being a problem. Basing everything off of arena balance and arena balance only is stupid, as you're still leaving out social and WZ playlists. (Which, let me remind you, has been screwed over by the delayed nerf of the wasp, and some of the past few weapon nerfs. "MUH TEAMSHOT" doesn't work in warzone against wasp swarms when you're at level 2 reqs. Neither does it make sense to say that the scattershot is OP at level 3 reqs, just because it's good in arena or something similar to that.)

Bottom line: If you're going to suggest balance changes, base it on the ENTIRETY of matchmaking and not just a few playlists. Don't screw over other people just to reap the rewards of satisfaction.
On all maps with the Active Camo Power-up it'd be nice to see the Tactical Magnum. I'd also like to see a BR and/or a DMR that included either the Threat Detector or COG attachment. The Tactical Mag paired with the Active Camo grants an even greater tactical advantage; however, the BR and/or DMR with either the Threat Detector or perhaps COG attachment can sort of act as a helpful counter in a way. Also, ditch any potential Shotgun placement in favor of the Scattershot for its' ricochet homing ability against an Active Camo opponent. As the Plasma Pistol acts as a type of counter to the Overshield Power-up it'd be nice to see the Active Camo Power-up receive some map weapon counters too since the radar change already helps bolster its advantage.
After playing version 2, the ammo problem has gone away but i noticed something competitive about playing the first version. picking up ammo was more strategic because you might be in a situation where your enemy was your only source of ammo and if he/she died far away the team mates will be able to pick you off if you went for it. i find it satisfying to find a way to get to the ammo and continue setup. i didn't get to write feedback for the first version but it would've been this: wherever there was a removed weapon, put in place a standard pistol. this means the smg under red and blue would be replaced with a standard pistol. storm rifle in bottom mid of plaza would be replaced with standard pistol and so on. this would give players an option to counter an enemy rather than just already having the ammo. For example if you are on snipe keeping the opposing team pushed back in cafe with sniper and a BR, you trade shots until your br runs out then the enemy team makes a flank through hotel, you would be able to drop down to bottom mid, grab a pistol and keep fighting without having to rely on just one weapon.
as for another topic: variety. The weapons that were removed countered the ones in place now. my suggestion is to replace the precision weapons where they counter each other more efficiently. this could mean placing a standard DMR where smg used to be on blue bend so someone in that area can defend against a light rifle and BR better. i also feel the variants of the precision weapons should be looked into. long barrel BR. silenced DMR. this can goes hand and hand with what i was talking about with the standard pistols replacing the old weapons. these variations of the precision weapons could be in place of the weapons you removed. overall i feel all the maps need 1 or two more weapons to not only make it more interesting but also to give a player more options to go into battle all while keeping the standard of no automatic weapons. with that said i can also say that i am happy the pro teams are interested in the Tactical magnum as a weapon to use. it fits right in. in my personal opinion i would like to see the Tac magnum as the starting weapon with no silencer but what we have now is great.
there is a pattern that i found when it comes to reloading. not everyone will get a secondary weapon off start and re spawning, most of the time its more important to hold it down with your pistol instead of running out to get a weapon. at some point you get into a battle that you loose because of reloading. i understand that reloading at the right time is a competitive attribute but only having one weapon leans more on the skill of reloading than marksmanship. with the suggestions i listed above i believe that problem can be fixed. a view i have is that: the more options a player has the more strategic movements can be made. at first i thought about the extended mag as a starting weapon but playing it in customs made it seem to be to powerful i feel the addition of the weapons i listed above would help the flow of movement
The sword is not a competitive weapon to me because of not only the flag running problem but the nature of it encourages players to sprint around the map for kills. i also don't agree with the idea of having a one shot weapon in your back pocket. if i decide to make a push the other players should be forced into a precision battle and vise versa. i feel like this about all shot guns and melee weapons. the only weapon that seems fair and interesting is the scattershot but even then i feel it should have nothing to reload. with that said i would like the shotguns replaced with a hydra or another precision weapons. For example a hydra can replace the shotgun on strongholds plaza or the scatter can be changed to a plasma pistol on the rig. i would also like a power weapon change for the plasma caster. i would like if it was back on the rig because that weapon made for some interesting bank shots. on regret it doesn't feel like the caster can be used to its full potential thus making it less of a power weapon. the changes for the plasma caster are good. it now requires more precision to land shots but i think it needs to be placed on the appropriate map. the scattershot could be in place of the caster. it plays great in FFA. it might play great in 4v4.
As for the radar i think there shouldn't be one or a suggestion would be to have only sprint show up on the radar. this would encourage the player to use sound as more of a competitive option. i believe you should be able to know where a person is by map knowledge and not the radar. with how the radar is setup now most of the game you dont see people on the radar. yes it is helpful to see some one thrust sliding on the radar but if anything the radar became more of a distraction because its used less. i say leave sprint on the radar because that's the source of most escapes a person can get away with but even then a player should be able to figure out what route the enemy is taking.it plays great the way it is but i think it'll play even better without one
overall im glad with the changes. despite my minor annoyances it plays great. these are the settings that should be paved forward. i would like to see the automatic weapons make a return as pick ups only but if they don't come back that is fine as well. the main changes such as the AR and sword being removed should not be reverted back. as for the splinter grenades, i have mixed feelings. id be ok with only one on the map in a high risk to grab area. otherwise i am happy with the removal.

Thank you for taking in feedback and thank you for listening to previous feedback. another thing on my wishlist is for these settings to be implemented into FFA. i play the preveiw settings with the new map changes in customs and it works great. i hope to see it in matchmaking
I have no complaints at all with these new changes so far. I haven't gotten to play Fathom CTF yet (guess the hopper would rather me play game after game of Coliseum CTF and Slayer) but I am interested to try out the pistols that were added.
Go to team arena, slayer, social... there's countless options with AR starts. This playlist is for the ones that want a challenge, a real competitive experience.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3