Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Head to Head - May 2 Update

OP Unyshek

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Head to Head has returned for the last month of the Spring 2019 Season! Since it's last run we've made improvements to the seven maps, the mode, and the custom-made Sense Power-Up utilized in the playlist. Blaze provided a list of the changes and improvements for each, which you can find and bookmark below:

Maps - (Link to Bookmarks)
  • Minor geometry adjustments to improve the flow and balance of the maps or to remove exploits
  • Repaired several inconsistent or broken clambers
  • Improved respawn locations to decrease spawn killing
  • Adjustments to weapon respawn times, ammo count, and weapon spawn locations
Game Modes - (Link to Bookmark)
  • Reduced the respawn time from 5 seconds to 3 seconds to reduce the opponents time to set up after engagements, decrease spawn predictability, and to add meaning to damage dealt on the opponent after losing an engagement
Sense Power-Up - (Link to Bookmark)
  • Added audible sound indicating final three seconds before losing the Motion Sensor, and another for the moment when it has fully expired
  • Lighting effects tweaked to look and animate closer to the experience of stock Halo 5 Power-Ups
  • Ability and expiration of ability are both timed with the slamming of the power-up into your spartan's chest, as with stock Halo 5 Power-Ups
  • Fixed bug where players did not always lose the Motion Sensor if a new round started while the trait was still active on a player
  • Fixed a bug where join in progress broke scripts (only necessary for use in Custom Games)
  • Inactive players will be tagged with a Nav Point, which will momentarily show their location to the opposing player and give an audible signal. This feature is intended to add risk to those attempting to camp for extended periods of time in order to burn out the clock
  • Visual effects now rotate to give players identical visibility from all angles, and because it looks cool
Special Thanks
  • Tim McClure - For creating the coding and aesthetic design of the original Power-Up
  • Exterrest1al - For taking over responsibility for version 2 of the Power-Up and the anti-camp feature
  • Yumudas - For helping to think through and troubleshoot scripting challenges with the Power-Up
  • Nosnhoj Leahcim - For providing feedback, stress testing, and helping reproduce bugs in all the playtests he participated in
Jump in today, start knocking out your placement matches, and let us know what you think right here in this thread!
If you're trying to add the Sense Power-Up on your map, here are some simple instructions for doing so!

The Sense Power-Up is now "forge-locked" so that icon will not rotate while in forge. A green chroma piece is a "Forge only" labelled piece, which helps drive the forge-locking of the rotation, must be kept unless you want to disable the forge-lock ability.
Placement should now be much easier than the previous iteration:
  • Place Sense (Power-Up)
  • Ungroup prefab
  • Deselecting Brains(2), Balls(2), and Chroma(1) and then regroup objects
  • Save your map
  • Load up a Custom Game using the Head to Head game mode
If you need to adjust your placement later on, you will have to delete the object and repeat these steps from the beginning. As a final note, this Power-Up doesn't have to be used exclusively with the Head to Head game mode but it will require you to have Motion Sensor disabled.

We hope this helps you get it set up on your own maps as well!
I only got to play one match of head to head last time it appeared, that was all my fault though. Does anyone know if it's permanent this time?
I only got to play one match of head to head last time it appeared, that was all my fault though. Does anyone know if it's permanent this time?
Its only until the end of the season, which ends next month I think. I think it'll return at the end of every season, probably to avoid playlist population drop off if it was permanent.
D M4N8 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not, but the person here is either cheating or the AR is too OP for some people on this playlist. Please fix it.
That looks bonkers. I'll definitely jump on the playlist and confirm it for myself later tonight.
Let me know how it goes for you.

I tried using the AR and I definitely wasn't able to use it like that.
I think to improve the playlist, there should be a weapon tuning for the magnum ;)
What's the population for this playlist? I keep on playing the same guy every game. Probably played him 10+ games already in the last 15 games.

Also, the map Devotion is really bad. Way too random.
Is devotion the one with all the portals? Agreed, anyone who knows how to use the portals will destroy their opponent regardless if they have an inferior shot
Played a handful of matches today. I'm a little rusty from playing too many PC shooters to prepare for MCC but here's my feedback all the same.

Criticisms:
- People keep running off and hiding. It feels more like Cat and Mouse in my (limited) experience. This might just be because I haven't placed yet and haven't gotten to play against thoughtful players. I did play against one really good player and had a fantastic time. I'm not sure if there's a solution for this (or if it's even a real criticism), but I figured I'd mention it.
- Spartan Charge feels awful in this mode. Both using it and being hit by it feels out of place.
- Grenade Launcher feels too strong.
- Faultline did not feel good for 1v1. I had a lot of trouble orienting myself on this map.

Positives:
- Junglerock is a blast to play on and looks beautiful. Might be my favorite Forge map of all time.
- Sentinel Beam was a surprise to see, and actually felt really good when I used it. I hope it'll make more appearances.
- Sense Powerup absolutely RULES.
- The round-based format is genius. I absolutely love it.

I really like the playlist, and I'm hoping as I rank higher I'll get better matches. I hope you guys will consider making this a permanent playlist. Definitely going to save the gametype and maps for customs, too. I'll post again as I play more matches. Thanks for such a great playlist. :)
Anyone know the ruling on the Head to Head playlist?

The guys I was just playing against won the 1st round, but I won the 2nd and the 3rd went into overtime and I was up one kill when the 3rd game ended. He ended up taking the match because he had 1 more kill than I did, but i thought this was by rounds, not kills?

If it's by kills, then it makes no sense for us to have rounds and not be able to access our stats while in-game! What the actual f...
D M4N8 wrote:

The guys I was just playing against won the 1st round, but I won the 2nd and the 3rd went into overtime and I was up one kill when the 3rd game ended. He ended up taking the match because he had 1 more kill than I did, but i thought this was by rounds, not kills?

If it's by kills, then it makes no sense for us to have rounds and not be able to access our stats while in-game! What the actual f...
Total kills only matter if you split rounds 1 and 2. Winning the third round doesn't guarantee a victory. More than likely a choice to discourage the kinds of people that like to hide for the entire rest of the match after getting up one kill in the decisive round.
D M4N8 wrote:

Total kills only matter if you split rounds 1 and 2. Winning the third round doesn't guarantee a victory. More than likely a choice to discourage the kinds of people that like to hide for the entire rest of the match after getting up one kill in the decisive round.
Ah. Okay. That makes sense

Would you happen to know how the target finder works?

There's this yellow marker that sometimes appear on a player

I was just wondering if it appears on both players or just 1 and what the situation is?
D M4N8 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not, but the person here is either cheating or the AR is too OP for some people on this playlist. Please fix it.
That looks bonkers. I'll definitely jump on the playlist and confirm it for myself later tonight.

Late reply, but I tried out the AR and couldn't get the same results. Perhaps it was just the server glitching out and displaying damage improperly?
D M4N8 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:

Late reply, but I tried out the AR and couldn't get the same results. Perhaps it was just the server glitching out and displaying damage improperly?
Definitely NOT!

played against the person at least 3 times.

Here's another video

On another note: can the ledges be fixed. Some I can't clamber on and it looks like I should be able to??? Maybe...
D M4N8 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:

Ah. Okay. That makes sense

Would you happen to know how the target finder works?

There's this yellow marker that sometimes appear on a player

I was just wondering if it appears on both players or just 1 and what the situation is?
The yellow Nav target that appears around a player's feet is designed to be an "anti-camp" measure, where if you stand relatively still for 7 or so seconds, it creates an audible sound for both players and puts a very brief target over the player so that they cannot st ay hidden. It helps to prevent situations where someone runs out the clock by just hiding... which isn't fun for anyone. If you are best, you should be able to fight 'till the end! So, rest assured, if yo uare not standing still, no nav will appear over your head revealing your location.
Unyshek wrote:
If you're trying to add the Sense Power-Up on your map, here are some simple instructions for doing so!

The Sense Power-Up is now "forge-locked" so that icon will not rotate while in forge. A green chroma piece is a "Forge only" labelled piece, which helps drive the forge-locking of the rotation, must be kept unless you want to disable the forge-lock ability.
Placement should now be much easier than the previous iteration:
  • Place Sense (Power-Up)
  • Ungroup prefab
  • Deselecting Brains(2), Balls(2), and Chroma(1) and then regroup objects
  • Save your map
  • Load up a Custom Game using the Head to Head game mode
If you need to adjust your placement later on, you will have to delete the object and repeat these steps from the beginning. As a final note, this Power-Up doesn't have to be used exclusively with the Head to Head game mode but it will require you to have Motion Sensor disabled.

We hope this helps you get it set up on your own maps as well!
Hi. A point of clarification. The "anti-camp" feature, which is comprised of the two invisible joint-ball objects you can see in forge, is only compatible with 2-players max at this time, since it was developed mostly in mind for this playlist. It was a quicker way to make sure it could be done in time for this cycle. Perhaps later this could be something made available for other modes after I try to make it compatible with more players. <fingers crossed>
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ottima playlist, la mia preferita, ottimi gli aggiornamenti, anche se a volte il sensore di movimento mi dura più dei 20 secondi standard. Per il resto l'adoro! Complimenti!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
noble bobo wrote:
Ottima playlist, la mia preferita, ottimi gli aggiornamenti, anche se a volte il sensore di movimento mi dura più dei 20 secondi standard. Per il resto l'adoro! Complimenti!
Grazie. Il problema che hai citato dovrebbe essere presto riparato, se non già.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3