Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

How does the ranking work?

OP ThugPug98

This has been a recurring issue with those I play with, and I know thousands others that care about their rank within Arena. My friend just played many games of SWAT and we won all but one, it took 4 to 5 games to get up a level up, some games the progress bar doesnt move after a win or good performance. Yet when he lost one game, with stats of 16 kills, 2 assists and 7 deaths. 15 headshots and 600+ damage dealt. yet he lost an entire bar of progress from one loss, going from Diamond 4 to 3 nearly almost diamond 2. Then myself, I got 17 kills, 3 assist and 13 deaths, dont remember my headshots and i dealt just under 1000 damage, and my Onyx rank went up despite us losing the game. This is just one of thousands of scenarios of this happening, like the time I went from champ 173 to diamond 3 from one loss. How does the system work? What makes it seem so broken? What matters?
Headshots, assists and damage dealt don't factor into the ranking system. Anyway, here is an explained post about the ranking system.

eLantern wrote:
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Hi Josh,
It sounds like MMR adjustments in TS2 are dependent on:
  • (primary) win/loss fact and the average MMR of the two teams - i.e. if you win a game you weren't supposed to win, your MMR will jump.
  • (secondary) KPM and DPM relative to the MMRs of all players in the game - i.e. if you slay much harder & faster than your MMR predicted given the average skill in the match, your MMR will jump.
Based on everything I've gathered from Josh by way of Twitter, Discord, Waypoint, and Video Interview this is my understanding of TS2.0/MMR:
  • [PRIMARY] A match outcome (W/L) along with the disparity between average team MMRs will establish a net adjustment.
    If you win a game that you weren't expected to win there's a much greater chance your MMR will improve. But it's not guaranteed to occur at the individual level. The only assurance provided by the match outcome (W/L) on MMR is towards the team's net adjustment. A win will guarantee a positive net change just as a loss will guarantee a negative net change (For The Team). The amount (of the net change) seems to be a combination of factors that relate to match expectations. This directly corresponds to the disparity between the average MMR of the two teams, but it also may include the length-of-time that the match took to complete. I'm not 100% certain about the match time factor, but I think it's safe to assume a time period range plays some type of role on the net adjustment.
    Anyways, a match outcome that defies expectation results in the system self-correcting its understanding of the teams. These particular re-adjustments will result in larger net MMR gains or losses for the teams. The individual team member adjustments are a zero sum byproduct (adjustment) of the team's net adjustment. Thus, the larger the net adjustment the greater the odds are for an individual to receive a portion of it.
  • [SECONDARY] Kills per Minute (KPM) and, to a much lesser degree, Deaths per Minute (DPM) are the individual performance-based metrics.
    If you slay faster than the range your MMR predicted for the particular mode you were playing (and against the opposing skill level) then your MMR will likely increase. However, this is also not guaranteed as it's relative to the performances of your teammates too. This is because, as mentioned previously, it's a zero sum byproduct adjustment of the team's net adjustment. In other words, if you only slightly outperform your expected range, but your teammates greatly outperform theirs you may not see an increase in your MMR.
    KPM & DPM expectations possess various weighted ranges based on the mode and difference in perceived skill. They self-adjust based on global plus personal trends. Now, I'm not sure if this self-adjustment is actively accomplished moment-to-moment or match-to-match or if it only occurs after a new batch run is preformed or some combination. Nevertheless, these metrics simply serve as a method to identify individual influences on match outcomes in order to appropriately scale skill-based adjustments at an individual level instead of awarding team members equally from the net adjustment.
    As mentioned previously it’s possible for an individual’s MMR to independently increase or decrease in opposition to the team’s net adjustment, but the zero sum aspect means that their teammates (per their particular individual adjustments) are required to offset that individual’s MMR adjustment such that the team’s net adjustment is realized. This is all because a team's performance is still ultimately a sum of its individual parts. And due to the fact that matchmaking is a system designed to constantly create new teams from independent individuals and/or variable groups of individuals who elect to search for a potential match. In other words, it's not like a tournament that features, or establishes, pre-registered teams. Teams that essentially lock-in members as one cohesive unit throughout a tournament period verses one match.
  • [NOTEWORTHY] Severe outlier performances may get flagged by the system and potentially ignored by TS2 if it seems to clash dramatically with historic expectations. This is done out of concern for manipulation that's deemed unacceptable.
In the end, match outcome (W/L) is still the most important component. Pace and individual performance certainly play roles with regards to skill recognition and progression, but the moment selfish play rears its ugly head in hopes of improving one's personal performance (which is often detrimental to match outcome) it actually is restricting a player's potential skill assertation and progression. Playing as an efficient team and for one-another will always be the most successful way to improve. The system acknowledges this fact while also appropriately recognizing the individual contributions in order to provide improved predictive accuracy.
You'll also want to read the OP's in these two threads below as well which give more info.
Link.
Link 2.
Link 3. (Updated CSR gain/loss amounts)

If you still need more info about your games, you can post in the latest MM Feedback thread and maybe Dr Menke can look at the games for you.
ThugPug98 wrote:
This has been a recurring issue with those I play with, and I know thousands others that care about their rank within Arena. My friend just played many games of SWAT and we won all but one, it took 4 to 5 games to get up a level up, some games the progress bar doesnt move after a win or good performance. Yet when he lost one game, with stats of 16 kills, 2 assists and 7 deaths. 15 headshots and 600+ damage dealt. yet he lost an entire bar of progress from one loss, going from Diamond 4 to 3 nearly almost diamond 2. Then myself, I got 17 kills, 3 assist and 13 deaths, dont remember my headshots and i dealt just under 1000 damage, and my Onyx rank went up despite us losing the game. This is just one of thousands of scenarios of this happening, like the time I went from champ 173 to diamond 3 from one loss. How does the system work? What makes it seem so broken? What matters?
I've read a lot of threads on how the ranking system works. But I have my questions too.

check this game I played yesterday:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/505057c6-2708-46d8-ad5f-17f30810c65b/players/ii%20drathnor%20ii?gameHistoryMatchIndex=3&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

yes I know I lost badly, but look a the ranks.

Winning Team:
Diamond 6
Onyx
Onyx
Diamond 6

My team:
Diamond3
Diamond3
Diamond3 (me)
Plat 3

IMHO the amount of CSR taken from me was too much, at least comparing to what the match ranks reflect. I just don't know anymore.
ThugPug98 wrote:
The elantern post that is linked is a good read to start to understand.

However, there is a 0% chance you actually went from champ to diamond 3 from one loss. That mathematically can't happen so stop exaggerating. The minimum CSR required for champ is 1500. Diamond 3 is in the range of 1300 to 1349. You can only lose a maximum of 30 CSR for a loss. Therefore from 1 loss you could have only gone down to diamond 6 with a CSR of 1470. The system is not broken. You are exaggerating false statements.
QX wrote:
ThugPug98 wrote:
The elantern post that is linked is a good read to start to understand.

However, there is a 0% chance you actually went from champ to diamond 3 from one loss. That mathematically can't happen so stop exaggerating. The minimum CSR required for champ is 1500. Diamond 3 is in the range of 1300 to 1349. You can only lose a maximum of 30 CSR for a loss. Therefore from 1 loss you could have only gone down to diamond 6 with a CSR of 1470. The system is not broken. You are exaggerating false statements.
You would think that, but it is entirely true. Made me so pissed at the game I stopped playing for 3 months. for three games, winning them all with flying colors my progress did not move, won the fourth game and achieved Champ. lost one game and down to diamond 3, now I dont care if you believe me or not but your thoughts and experiences with Halo 5s ranking is different from mine