Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

How To Solve The 4 Major Problems With Arena

OP LowGi

Alright guys I've played over 2,500 games of Arena for Halo 5 and I've watched a ton of pro streams as well. And based on my experiences and on what I've heard, these seem to be the top 4 issues with arena, if they get fixed the playlist would be amazing. The reasons:

1) Add Party Restrictions:
-Make it so teams of four match teams of four, teams of three match teams of three, etc. Basically if you want high ranks to mean something, this has to be changed otherwise people can just search fours and match people who search solo for easy ranking.

2)Remove Dodging:
-You can boot your teammates or quit the build, both are dodging, and both don't result in a loss if you do it before the games starts. This needs to be changed so people can't purposely dodge players that are better than them to ensure easy winning and easy ranking.

3)Remove Unofficial Gametypes:
-Almost everyone dodges Overgrowth, Riptide, Torque, and the assault gametype. Nobody wants to play unofficial settings in the only competitive playlist. Instead there should be a playlist for testing that people can try new things out in.

4)Add Ranking History
-In other games (Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, and MCC), you could go onto another players profile and see their highest skill achieved. In Halo Reach you could go see players previous seasons of Arena from their player profile. It was cool because it was pretty much proof of how good a player was based on their season placement history. You could also see that players progress season by season. Now it only shows the current season on your player profile and it doesn't track your previous seasons, which kinda kills bragging rights and PROOF of skill.

Basically if all these things got changed for the better, arena playlist would be more fair (since like sized team sizes would match each other), more consistent(since players could no longer dodge to get high ranks), and more fun (since players wouldn't have to play unofficial gametypes). And if the ranking history was shown, players would get bragging rights for their highest rank, which is the heart of anything competitive, to show you're better.

I made this thread to spread awareness on the current bad quality state of arena in hopes that someone with more power than me could tell 343i or influence them in someway to get these things changed. Thanks for reading. Also feel free to post your thoughts!
LowGi wrote:
-Make it so teams of four match teams of four, teams of three match teams of three, etc. Basically if you want high ranks to mean something, this has to be changed otherwise people can just search fours and match people who search solo for easy ranking.
This right here especially. Games like THIS should never happen (both because of party restrictions and the matching system). Po4 vs po2 and 2 people searching solo.
Party Restrictions have to be put in. It is INSANELY frustrating at a high level playing parties of 4 when I am searching solo. I literally just got offline because I searched 5 games and all 5 games I matched against a party of 4... completely ruins the playlist.
LowGi wrote:
This right here especially. Games like THIS should never happen (both because of party restrictions and the matching system). Po4 vs po2 and 2 people searching solo.
lMerce wrote:
Party Restrictions have to be put in. It is INSANELY frustrating at a high level playing parties of 4 when I am searching solo. I literally just got offline because I searched 5 games and all 5 games I matched against a party of 4... completely ruins the playlist.
I agree with both of you. Not only does not having party restrictions make Arena playlists less fun for people not searching fours, it also waters down the value of a high rank, meaning it doesn't matter how good you are if you're not searching as a team of four. And if you're a not so skilled player searching with a team, then you'll probably beat players who are skilled but don't have a team. This current ranking system doesn't reward skill as much as it rewards searching with a team unfortunately, and that NEEDS to change. Please change it for us 343i by adding PARTY RESTRICTIONS.
Yea this is spot on, the ranking is all over the place. I remember in H2, and H3 at least every game was somewhat evenly matched. Every match seems to be a blowout from 1 team.
The halo carnage site and app will allow to view your and other player's previous and current season stats. Hope tha'll help some ;)
Yep solo players vs other solos please inteam games
#1 yes, but your missing a better system to deal with quitters and such.

I dont care that your internet sucks, pay more money and use a more efficient home network if you want to use that excuse.

Either they need to update the ranking system to take quitting into affect, Ban the entire console for much longer periods of time, or match those labeled as quitters with others labeled the same way until behavior changes.
The halo carnage site and app will allow to view your and other player's previous and current season stats. Hope tha'll help some ;)
Thank you. At the same time though I would love for it to be accessible in game. People want to show off their ranks and if they have to by telling people to look at a website then that is too much work to see it. Halo Reach had the ranks and the previous seasons listed in a players profile, so if a 360 game can do it, I'm sure an Xbox One game can too. Not to mention the Xbox One game should also do it BETTER not worse.
#1 yes, but your missing a better system to deal with quitters and such.

I dont care that your internet sucks, pay more money and use a more efficient home network if you want to use that excuse.

Either they need to update the ranking system to take quitting into affect, Ban the entire console for much longer periods of time, or match those labeled as quitters with others labeled the same way until behavior changes.
I agree with you. In my opinion I feel like players should be allowed one free quit a week. And any quit after than should count as two losses AND give you a timeout that expands the more you quit until you are banned for up to days at a time. That might sound a little harsh, but if this community wants ranks to mean something, then a cold ban system needs to be implemented.