Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

i SUCK at multiplayer so what do i do?

OP TerribleTucker1

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
i always find myself getting utterly destroyed and can't seem to figure out why. i don't know if I'm just bad or if I'm just really unlucky and get pros and hacks. it drives me crazy and my k/d seems to drop every game. my friends say I'm good but i jump in to a MP game and get reckt. I think it might have something to do with the team generation because i feel one team is always much better. i know map control and things of the sort but the enemy team seems to out do me even when i have the good stuff. i can't stand getting constantly reckt and i play at least on to five hours weekly. i try and try and try. i try pre-aiming, i try strafing but they don't help because the enemy seems to always land their shots. i don't know if they're hackers or if I'm just unlucky and it is insanely frustrating. i can't help but feel I'm a bad player and would love some advice. i know there is almost certainly little to no hackers but it makes me feel less bad. lol. i usually get on or two positive tens on the other team so either the teams need to change or somethings not right. or maybe I'm just dumb. this isn't meant to offend or trigger anyone and i just looking for guidance. maybe some other noobs like myself can benefit as well so don't hold back advice.
i always find myself getting utterly destroyed and can't seem to figure out why. i don't know if I'm just bad or if I'm just really unlucky and get pros and hacks. it drives me crazy and my k/d seems to drop every game. my friends say I'm good but i jump in to a MP game and get reckt. I think it might have something to do with the team generation because i feel one team is always much better. i know map control and things of the sort but the enemy team seems to out do me even when i have the good stuff. i can't stand getting constantly reckt and i play at least on to five hours weekly. i try and try and try. i try pre-aiming, i try strafing but they don't help because the enemy seems to always land their shots. i don't know if they're hackers or if I'm just unlucky and it is insanely frustrating. i can't help but feel I'm a bad player and would love some advice. i know there is almost certainly little to no hackers but it makes me feel less bad. lol. i usually get on or two positive tens on the other team so either the teams need to change or somethings not right. or maybe I'm just dumb. this isn't meant to offend or trigger anyone and i just looking for guidance. maybe some other noobs like myself can benefit as well so don't hold back advice.
Watching YouTube videos of strategy / technique and playing with better players who communicate may help. You may be able to get someone to take a look at your gameplay for areas to improve as well.

Before getting to that, make sure your connection / ping is decent and do whatever you can to minimize any issues. Your display’s response time is also a big factor.

Finally, looks like you’re a plat player which is solid..more playtime and working on your weaknesses could push you into diamond or beyond.
IGRS wrote:
Watching YouTube videos of strategy / technique and playing with better players who communicate may help. You may be able to get someone to take a look at your gameplay for areas to improve as well.

Before getting to that, make sure your connection / ping is decent and do whatever you can to minimize any issues. Your display’s response time is also a big factor.

Finally, looks like you’re a plat player which is solid..more playtime and working on your weaknesses could push you into diamond or beyond.
thanks, i really apprecheate the help. thanks for the encouragment.
I'd also recommend using the Recruitment forum here or Looking for Group posts on the official clubs to find people to play with as a team.

The easiest way to get wrecked in Halo is to go 1v2 or 1v3 or even 1v4 vs a well coordinated team nowhere near your own teammates
Team work it’s a really import with communication
So, I once had a really bad negative K/D when I started playing Halo when I was 13. A few years later I had a positive K/D and can hold my own, I then competed and I still compete in FFAs and other things in the Halo community.

The best advice I can give you is watch as much gameplay as possible, play against as many good players you can, whether its a 1v1 or just a 4v4 or hell even 8v8. Getting beat over and over is the best thing possible as weird as it sounds. You see the different jumps, techniques that good players do and you can start learning them yourself. Like you can learn a lot playing ranked and just with better players like myself or even better. So don't get discouraged just start being more aware of spawns, weapon spawns, and where your teammates are. Always run with your teammates because a team shot will do wonders for you. If you have any questions or anything shoot some my way, I'm a pretty experienced player and I might be able to help you with what you're doing wrong or something.
Advice coming from Champ 16 in FFa. Just focus on your gun skill and map positioning. Those 2 things are key to winnin fights. Also try to stay calm and work on that every game. Dont get mad because that will only make you play worse.
Advice coming from Champ 16 in FFa. Just focus on your gun skill and map positioning. Those 2 things are key to winnin fights. Also try to stay calm and work on that every game. Dont get mad because that will only make you play worse.
Big Facts, Attitude in games is key. Keep your composure and learn from positioning mistakes and you'll start to improve.
play with people that are better than you
I was only able to get to Onyx in SWAT a ways back due to monitoring how I play. There’s multiple things you can do to increase your capabilities.

Starting from the ground up:

1) Set up a shooting range.
Make obstacles that you have to jump and boost sideways in order to shoot, where you only have a short window to hit the object. Just keep doing that with a static object until you feel you’ve done enough for the day. Getting better at a video game isn’t like a workout. Slaving away won’t do anything but harm you. Once you’re out of your comfort zone it’s time to stop. Once you’re done with statics, switch it up with moving targets. These aren’t hard to make and you can YouTube how to do these.

Switching from mortar to rock:

2) Now if your aim isn’t the issue and it’s your skill in certain situations, then you need to practice “sparring”.
Start with pistol 1v1s in SWAT, then move to slayer after you feel you’ve gotten pretty good at hitting your shots with low damage. Once you’re hitting 80% perfects with a pistol, you’re ready for the next stage.

Becoming or attempting to become a Diamond tier player:

3) Join clans.
Joining clans is tedious and annoying but you will get better by fighting other people who are at or above your skill level. You’ll learn new fighting techniques this way and you’ll learn to also work with a team better with better call outs this way. This is when you’ll discover your actual play style.

Working for that Champion tier gameplay:

Once you’ve accomplished those few things, take it into competitive matches which will set you up with games of people at or above your skill level. In Ranked they will actually test your newly achieved level of skill. That’s really the last step. Getting good at Halo 5 before all the craziness Halo Infinite will bring is a good idea since you likely will need that skill going in.

Now let me make this clear:

You don’t NEED to be good at Halo to enjoy the game. Don’t focus on being good while you’re getting better, but rather focus on enjoying the game while getting better at the game. This will help you rage less and last through more games playing competitively. Because you’ll be able to laugh at your mistakes rather than feel every slip is a massive error.

If you can’t get good with these tips, that’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with being bad at Halo as I mentioned. Your skill level could just be at a plateau or it could just not be your day. You will experience days where you do not as good as you were before. This doesn’t mean you’re bad, but you’re clearly not in the mood to compete. Learning to identify these moments will make it easier to change your mood and be better in general.

Edit: I made a quote rather than an edit below this if a mod could delete that, it would be appreciated I didn’t mean to do that.

i wanted to add that doing you versus multiple people at once is another good way to get yourself used to challenging and horrible situations where you’re outmanned and outskilled so you have to use tactics to win.
this was meant to be an edit so I got rid of the annoyingly huge quote that accidentally was in this.
Purrkeet wrote:
this was meant to be an edit so I got rid of the annoyingly huge quote that accidentally was in this.
none of what you stated actually would benefit anyone, shooting inanimate objects doesn't help. Playing better people is what helps. Doing Octagon or playing ranked is what will help, not joining a clan or anything like that, thats all unnecessary.
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
none of what you stated actually would benefit anyone, shooting inanimate objects doesn't help. Playing better people is what helps. Doing Octagon or playing ranked is what will help, not joining a clan or anything like that, thats all unnecessary.
What are you even saying? Joining clans is part of playing with better people and I mentioned playing ranked so you honestly should read before you even bother to type! Shooting inanimate objects helps those who haven’t developed their aim yet. If you’re starting from the ground up you’ll need to practice your aim without the panic of other players. I’d love an explanation as to why anything I said was incorrect though. Although I doubt you’ll have anything of sustenance.
Purrkeet wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
What are you even saying? Joining clans is part of playing with better people and I mentioned playing ranked so you honestly should read before you even bother to type! Shooting inanimate objects helps those who haven’t developed their aim yet. If you’re starting from the ground up you’ll need to practice your aim without the panic of other players. I’d love an explanation as to why anything I said was incorrect though. Although I doubt you’ll have anything of sustenance.
Because when I first started out playing Halo I thought those same things. I thought shooting cones in forge would help, etc etc. but as time went on the only thing that helped me was just playing. What I was meaning by the clan thing is, joining a clan is unnecessary, he can meet better players and things like that without have to joini a clan, and most clan kids aren't that good no offense, but if he wants to join one he can, I was in plenty when I was younger but I eventually surpassed them all in skill because I just played more.
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Because when I first started out playing Halo I thought those same things. I thought shooting cones in forge would help, etc etc. but as time went on the only thing that helped me was just playing. What I was meaning by the clan thing is, joining a clan is unnecessary, he can meet better players and things like that without have to joini a clan, and most clan kids aren't that good no offense, but if he wants to join one he can, I was in plenty when I was younger but I eventually surpassed them all in skill because I just played more.
All of this is very true. Shooting forge objects in forge does not make any sense. Octagon does indeed improve your aim and gunfights. 5 years ago when I wanted to improve my shot, I played Octagon for 4 hours a day. I can say it did help. Clans are nonsense. Having groups of friends that are different skill group does help you get used to the different people in Halo. I do also, like you said, recommend ranked. It's a good experience to build off of and learn the game.
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Right but what I’m giving is a list of things that can help you get better. For some, starting with inanimates helps build their aim better than shooting actual people.
Gulchshot wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
All of this is very true. Shooting forge objects in forge does not make any sense. Octagon does indeed improve your aim and gunfights. 5 years ago when I wanted to improve my shot, I played Octagon for 4 hours a day. I can say it did help. Clans are nonsense. Having groups of friends that are different skill group does help you get used to the different people in Halo. I do also, like you said, recommend ranked. It's a good experience to build off of and learn the game.
Right but if you’re new to the game or if you don’t really play with a group of friends, joining clans helps you make friends and there’s even champions in certain clans. You could even join Spartan companies that are similar to clans, to spar and get better. The idea that “clans” are bad and won’t help when there’s literal clans that have people with double both of your KD ratios and champion-ranks out the whazoo baffles me.

Edit: Then again you haven’t even played the game that I’m using for reference enough to get an actual KD.
Purrkeet wrote:
Gulchshot wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Right but if you’re new to the game or if you don’t really play with a group of friends, joining clans helps you make friends and there’s even champions in certain clans. You could even join Spartan companies that are similar to clans, to spar and get better. The idea that “clans” are bad and won’t help when there’s literal clans that have people with double both of your KD ratios and champion-ranks out the whazoo baffles me.

Edit: Then again you haven’t even played the game that I’m using for reference enough to get an actual KD.
Oh it thought u meant like clan kids lol. And yes it's good to have friends around different skill levels. Either practice with them or play with them. Wdym by the edit? I've played Halo since 2010.
Gulchshot wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Gulchshot wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:

Oh it thought u meant like clan kids lol. And yes it's good to have friends around different skill levels. Either practice with them or play with them. Wdym by the edit? I've played Halo since 2010.
Your profile for waypoint has a level 4 in Halo 5 with no KD tracked which means you haven’t really played much at all in the game I’m talking about.
Purrkeet wrote:
Gulchshot wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:
Jimmbabwe wrote:
Purrkeet wrote:

Ok I want you to understand something. K/D Means absolutely nothing. What matters is your in game IQ and decision making and awareness. No offense, but Onyx and Champ in a playlist like Swat, or Rocket Arena or Breakout or whatever weird game mode there is, doesn't make you a good player. That clan kid can have a 3.0 K/D cause he stats in every game or whatever, but if he can't play around his team, make the plays that count, push at the right time, move around the map properly, then the 3.0 K/D or KDA means absolutely nothing. I'd rather have teammates that are smart and good and have a 1.2KD then a 3.9 KD Stat. Pros don't even have K/D like that, so what does that tell you?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3