Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

If you want more people to play, let them play.

OP Grampy

As a solo q player, I was placed into the platinum division of the new HCS playlist. Typically I play slayer because it easier to solo carry, but with the elimination of the AR, I had to switch over.

I came across a lot of brand new players, I'm not talking about new accounts of experienced players (yet), but NEW players. They were pretty bad to say the least and that's okay, with a high skill gap, new players should be bad. But what I have noticed in nearly EVERY lobby is 1 (or 4) Smurf account(s) that end up getting 24 kills in a slayer or 34 in CTF. I understand that the game has slow hours and it's difficult to find a match when you're high ranked (I try to not think they're just afraid to lose CSR on their main), but it's a huge deterrent for new players that might otherwise stay playing halo for the long run.

This flood of smurfs believe it or not is part of the reason new players just don't want to play. We should be letting people who are learning the game learn with others who are learning the game. It provides no useful feedback to those players to get demolished by a group of 4 smurfs not knowing what they could have done better. There are so many complaints about the death of Halo, and when 343 tries to do something right with the game, many skilled players absolutely ruin it for those who are learning. Like or not, the franchise needs the newer and typically much younger players to like the game otherwise they'll just pick a game with lower skill gap instead

Tldr: smurfing weakens the prospect of our future halo community and is therefore a disservice to the franchise.
Totally agree. This problem won't go away though. People are only thinking about themselves and how cool a new account will be since they get to briefly feel like the Master Chief

i played a match with a cousin. Her first online match ever. We end up getting farmed as they didn't want to cap the flag. She never played again.
Nathan CTF wrote:
Totally agree. This problem won't go away though. People are only thinking about themselves and how cool a new account will be since they get to briefly feel like the Master Chief

i played a match with a cousin. Her first online match ever. We end up getting farmed as they didn't want to cap the flag. She never played again.
Yeah it's unfortunate honestly, nobody wants to learn the game because the new players never get a taste of genuine fairness coming from wins and losses
Nathan CTF wrote:

Sad but true that's the way this game is
For the record: I completely agree with you. Sadly 343 has already made it perfectly clear with ever more relaxed skill matching that they don't really care if noobs get demolished by pros (on a legit account or on a smurf account). The only playlists left that make any attempt to match players of similar skill are the visibly ranked playlists, and even there it isn't hard to see how the system struggles - from low population, from faulty skill assessment, from a preference for speed over accuracy, from smurfs, from a thousand other little faults that conspire to undermine the integrity of the entire concept of skill-based matchmaking. Of course, having virutally done away with sbmm already in social playlists and warzone, it seems as if they're slowly trying to acclimatize players to the new reality - to the acceptability of blow out matches, and an entire Halo career of bad k/ds and bad w/ls and bad experiences in general. I guess they feel like, after Halo 4, they need to give the "serious" players a freebie. I call it -Yoink-.
For the record: I completely agree with you. Sadly 343 has already made it perfectly clear with ever more relaxed skill matching that they don't really care if noobs get demolished by pros (on a legit account or on a smurf account). The only playlists left that make any attempt to match players of similar skill are the visibly ranked playlists, and even there it isn't hard to see how the system struggles - from low population, from faulty skill assessment, from a preference for speed over accuracy, from smurfs, from a thousand other little faults that conspire to undermine the integrity of the entire concept of skill-based matchmaking. Of course, having virutally done away with sbmm already in social playlists and warzone, it seems as if they're slowly trying to acclimatize players to the new reality - to the acceptability of blow out matches, and an entire Halo career of bad k/ds and bad w/ls and bad experiences in general. I guess they feel like, after Halo 4, they need to give the "serious" players a freebie. I call it -Yoink-.
Yeah I can certainly agree. Blow out matches sometimes work in games like call of duty because even if it's a blow out you can still get some easy kills. This game? Forget about it, new players will be dropping donuts every game, let's just hope halo 6 is better when it comes to building a low skill community along with the high skill one that we already have
343 increased the rate at which smurfs rank up so that they can't stomp lesser skilled lobbies for long.
Example: I saw a champ ranked level 23 tonight
Some of these blow out games are the results of the heavy aim and slow movement issue this game has. And remember this issue is likely in all games and doesn't effect everyone the same in the same game.. It is very difficult to notice but one can if they know what they are looking for.. I am very curious to see what type of fix 343i comes up with to fix this. This issue alone will set the stage to what kind of game halo6 will be. If they cant get this fixed I don't hold much faith to Halo6. There has been many miss steps with this game and I'm just pointing out one here because it does reflect and effect ones skill. I'm not going to lie but I am really having doubts with the quality and know how 343i has. There just is something wrong over there. There is no way any Halo game should be sitting below 20 for most played on xbox..just no way..
Some of these blow out games are the results of the heavy aim and slow movement issue this game has. And remember this issue is likely in all games and doesn't effect everyone the same in the same game.. It is very difficult to notice but one can if they know what they are looking for.. I am very curious to see what type of fix 343i comes up with to fix this. This issue alone will set the stage to what kind of game halo6 will be. If they cant get this fixed I don't hold much faith to Halo6. There has been many miss steps with this game and I'm just pointing out one here because it does reflect and effect ones skill. I'm not going to lie but I am really having doubts with the quality and know how 343i has. There just is something wrong over there. There is no way any Halo game should be sitting below 20 for most played on xbox..just no way..
Another thing along this line:
Halo 5 is a game where your skill can differ significantly on a day-to-day basis.

In halo 3, sure you wouldn't be as good if you took a week off, but in Halo 5, taking a week or 2 off makes the whole game feel completely foreign.
But once you hit your stride, it starts to feel like your opponents might as well be standing still.

The lack of ARs in the HCS playlist just quadruples this effect.

So results like this aren't all that surprising, lots of Platinum ranks in HCS playlist have the potential to be much higher, but have inconsistent play times & thus inconsistent performance.
The rank system already takes this into account with MMR, but there's only so much it can do.

I think people's expectations are just a bit unrealistic.
The issue isn't just about smurfs, it's that there's legitimately an enormous skill difference along the progression of platinum ranks in this playlist.
The issue isn't just about smurfs, it's that there's legitimately an enormous skill difference along the progression of platinum ranks in this playlist.
I've had the discussion with others about this game simply being too hard to be good at. It's not a skill gap we're talking about here - it's a skill chasm. When players far below the pro level can get mismatched into a game with a scrub like me and still perform in ways that leave me absolutely certain that we're not even playing the same game, that they're somehow cheating, that they have a button on their modded controller that allows them to literally stop time in order to get kills in ways that to all appearances defy game mechanics, both motion and weapon... then that's when a game is, in my opinion, too hard to be good at. I wouldn't really care if I had any confidence in the ability of 343 to keep those players segregated, but it no longer matters whether they have the ability or not. They don't have the interest. Presumably because they don't have the population, but the game is still becoming unplayable for a casual like myself, whatever the cause may be.
I surch People for play Halo5 i was platinium 6 at swat and i'm lvl 96
I don't really disagree with what your saying OP, but to me the problem is how does "the system" determine when someone is new, just starting etc and someone who is smurfing? I don't know if it can.

The only thing I can think of to truly stop Smurf accounts would be for MS to make it so a family couldn't share a gold account or whatever. If you want another account to play online, you have to pay for it. A other way, not preventing it but would certainly slow it down would be to make it so to play ranked you have to be certain level, 20 for example. I'll admit I'm not big on those ideas​, but I just don't see how the system can determine who is just starting to play and who is a smurf.I don't know, maybe it can, if so that'd be great. Making Ranked and Soical stats separate would also help.

Smurfing certainly seems to be more of an issue in Halo 5 then in previous games (I started with Halo CE) I do think the whole heavy aiming issue and the game just runs better when you have zero unlocks (see this thread https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/heavy-aim-fix-incoming/edc2890d-30a9-4242-8851-c474ac95a22f/posts) are definitely contributing factors to more smurf accounts.